Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:17 pm

$55 for that trigger the way I'd want it... really competitive pricing. Like you said in the article, others are SO much more money.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:43 pm

chills1994 wrote:This is for Colt SMG 9mm AR stick mags which hold 32 rounds. Feeding those little 9mm rounds in by hand sucks.
Yes it does suck. This makes it a shitton easier
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855269 ... -9mm-luger
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:47 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Thanks for the article, Dave.

Sounds like OC might be getting some business from me in the near future.
TheLastOne wrote:$55 for that trigger the way I'd want it... really competitive pricing. Like you said in the article, others are SO much more money.
Knee-jerk is that the price will either go up or the quality down as popularity increases. They might be able to scale properly (I hope so) but many companies like this can be victims of their own success. I guess what I'm saying is that buying sooner is better than later.

But seriously, people need to stop saying their Glock triggers are "just like 1911 triggers" fuuuuuuuu it's turning into a, "all ARs are the same" or, "just rack the shotgun and..." statement to me.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Dave_M wrote:
chills1994 wrote:This is for Colt SMG 9mm AR stick mags which hold 32 rounds. Feeding those little 9mm rounds in by hand sucks.
Yes it does suck. This makes it a shitton easier
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855269 ... -9mm-luger
A'yup that was my plan B.

Guess it is my plan A now. :D

Guns are icky!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Hey guys, I picked up a decent .308 bolt gun the other day. Great price came with optics, but they were from the factory and have read that it sucks. So I'm looking for a better after market optic. I'm not planning any mile long shots, the range I have access to has 400m, But I would probably stick with the 300m shots. Looking to spend up to $300.

Anyone have any ideas, recommendations?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Give the scope a try out before dumping it. It could fit your needs.
Zombies don't ski.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Hollis wrote:Give the scope a try out before dumping it. It could fit your needs.
I plan on it, though every review I've read said it sucks for anything beyond 100m. I was mostly looking for suggestions, I'll be going out and testing it most likely Monday. I was going to when I picked it up but, it was raining so hard that I would have needed a boat.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Halfapint wrote:Hey guys, I picked up a decent .308 bolt gun the other day. Great price came with optics, but they were from the factory and have read that it sucks. So I'm looking for a better after market optic. I'm not planning any mile long shots, the range I have access to has 400m, But I would probably stick with the 300m shots. Looking to spend up to $300.

Anyone have any ideas, recommendations?
What make & model of rifle?

Fixed or variable power? If variable, what range of magnification are you looking for?

Does the $300 range also include the price of scope rings?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm

It's a Remington 770.... I know not the greatest. I mostly just wanted something and got one used for dirt cheap with 200rds of ammo. I know I'm not going to be doing any exceptional shooting with it. But for $250 bucks I couldn't resist.

No the rings are separate 300 for the scope itself. The one that's on it currently is variable, I think up to 9x maybe soothing similar. The scope will probably out last the rifle, if I enjoy it I plan on selling it, for the same amount without ammo and get something better. This is my first bolt gun.

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 am

My FIL picked up a 770 in .270 Win.
It was servicable, but never has matched our 700 in the same caliber. It would hold 2-3" 5 shot groups at 100yds, but that was it.
But it was very tempermental about what ammo it liked. It would throw anything 100gr or less into groups 5+" in size. It did its best with 130-140 gr ammo with some loads (mostly IMR 4350 and toward the top end).
We switched scopes on it and it pulled the groups down by about an inch - but that was it.

So I would second the 'shoot it and see how it does'. If it is good enough to do what you want - I wouldn't try to fix it.
And I would try a couple different types of ammo in it. I only have experience with the one, but it was finicky about what it would shoot.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 am

I am thinking about getting another safe:

Just kidding.... not mine...just some random picture I came across on the internet.

Guns are icky!

eeb

Post by eeb » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:59 pm

The problem with "modern sporting rifles" is that they're so dang tall. They take up a bunch of room in the safe.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:40 pm

So pending I just wanted the trigger, it's basically a very smoothed out stock trigger? No change in pull?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:So pending I just wanted the trigger, it's basically a very smoothed out stock trigger? No change in pull?
Break weight is the same if you keep your current springs and connector. Much smoother than stock and you can shorten your pre-travel.
Dave Merrill

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:43 pm

I can now truthfully say I have fired a .357 magnum pistol. :clap:

I had a family day at the range today and I brought out my new Ruger GP100. First time firing a .357 magnum and it was awesome. .357 magnum rounds kicked a little more than I expected, but .38 specials were pretty tame in comparison.

Next trip to the range I'll probably bring my Glocks and finally get those running.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:28 pm

.357 are fun, the really neat thing is a person can fire .38s in them as you said. GP100 is a very nice revolver.

Again too many nice choices out there in firearms.
Zombies don't ski.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Whew! What a day! I finally made it over to Mid America Arms in south St. Louis to buy 3 new MecGar mags for that BHP. That store was absolutely packed. I was lucky to find a parking spot.

Then I rushed home to tack weld up a target stand....then rushed off to the range.

A world of difference with those mags. Just hand cycling rounds through the BHP with the mag that came with it, I knew there were going to be problems. I was right. Total jam-o-matic. Switched over to the MecGars and ran like a sewing machine. :clap:

Fiddled around with getting an Aimpoint zero'ed today with what little range time I had. I got it close enough at 15 yards. Only loaded maybe 10 to 15 rounds in those stick mags. Figured I would wait til I got a LULA to try the whole 32 rounds.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 pm

The GP100 is built like a tank! I don't think I have ever heard of someone wearing one out. whereas I have seen Smith revolvers catastrophically fail during a match.

Guns are icky!

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:09 pm

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/Man- ... 89091.html

This is what we're talking about in my city right now.
The shooting happened at LeMaster's home on Donald Avenue about 3 a.m. March 18.

Several Huntington Police officers and neighbors testified during the preliminary hearing in Cabell County Magistrate Court Friday morning.

HPD Detective Matt Null testified that Martin had been shot six times and that his body was found naked and unarmed when police arrived.

Detective Null says that three of the shots came from inside LeMaster’s home and went through the front door and the screen door.

Null says the blood trail went from the front porch, down the front steps, and across the street to a neighbor’s house.

He said shortly after, the initial shots from inside the home, evidence showed that Lemaster pursued Martin outside where he continued to fire several shots, ultimately killing him.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Hollis

Post by Hollis » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Rev wrote:http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/Man- ... 89091.html

This is what we're talking about in my city right now.
Serious thinking material. One can do everything right, yet it goes all wrong. Probably the most famous shooting in self defense was the Martin/Zimmerman shooting. Zimmerman was found not guilty. Not to argue whether he was or was not, let's just assume the court rendered the correct verdict. Look at what it costed Zimmerman.

The judged by 12 twelve or carried by six, is a interesting comment, Personally neither is a good choice, I would prefer another option or two.

IMHO, it get backs to situation awareness, As in understanding the laws etc along with training and probably some secret sauce in today's litigious society.

I think the more the person knows, the more they can make a informed decision based on their needs, not someone's else's needs.

The other quote, a ounce of prevention is worth a..... more than pound.. a ton even of cure. Deescalation of a situation is better than a escalation, if possible.
Zombies don't ski.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Yeah, once you cross your door's threshold outbound-wise, you're gonna be painted as the aggressor or pursuer.

I was going to write more here, but it appears that the articles I read were short on all the facts.

Rev, any idea if the door was successfully kicked in?

Or what evidence they have that at least 3 more shots were fired outside of the home?

Guns are icky!

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Hey there...my name is Numbers and I have a thing for cheap handguns.

Seriously though, I have a hard on for a Ruger P85 9mm and a EAA Windicator .38spl, throw in a SAR B6P 4.5' 9mm and I'm set.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 am

My first handgun was a p89. I wouldn't mind getting another for fun or in case I need a brick to hold a door open :lol:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Well, I finally purchased another shotgun. I bought a Remington 870 Express this past Saturday and now need advice on what to add to it to make it a good home defense gun.

I want to add a magazine extension, but I'll need to have a gunsmith grind out the factory nubs in the mag tube before I do that.

Other than that, I'm thinking a side saddle and maybe a pistol grip stock (not pistol grip only. I've seen far too many idiots knocking themselves stupid with PGO shotguns.) will be added.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”