Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by SMoAF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:16 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Flip the ITW upside down.

In other news, I has my FOID. One month turn-around ain't bad.
Damn, dude, you're good. Chimp's right, I'm describing an upside down one. I assume that you just grab the mag and yank it up/down/sideways, however it's oriented, right? What's a FOID, and why should a month be considered good?
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:31 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
cricketdave wrote:Here you go chimp, I haven't personally used one but a buddy has one on one of his Aks and it works pretty well. No complaints about it at all.

http://shop.solartactical.com/searchqui ... words=mfer
Sweet.

Thanks, CricketDave.

ETA: Woodsghost, I've got an M+M M10 AK that's basically an upgraded WASR-10. I never noticed the mag wobble until today when I checked some new mags I got. If the wobble affects function, I'll have a gunsmith check out my rifle. I don't quite trust myself to do the JB Weld trick.
dang it Chimp! every time you bring up AKs I end up over at the Krebs and Arsenal websites.

Guns are icky!

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:33 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Had I not been wanting another AK, I'd probably have walked out of there with a really nice basic Del-Ton AR for 619 bucks. Seemed to be a decent price, but I could be wrong.
Depending on the model you saw, not really that great. This sale has been going on for at least a week, maybe two: http://grabagun.com/del-ton-sport-lite- ... -30rd.html
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:02 am

SMoAF wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Flip the ITW upside down.

In other news, I has my FOID. One month turn-around ain't bad.
Damn, dude, you're good. Chimp's right, I'm describing an upside down one. I assume that you just grab the mag and yank it up/down/sideways, however it's oriented, right? What's a FOID, and why should a month be considered good?
Perhaps this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOID_%28firearms%29
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:34 pm

First critter with the Mosquito.

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Ouch. While I can't point out why, I thoght he was living 500+ miles south of me. Given a few related SCOTUS cases, I'd imagine that further litigation is almost certainly unavoidable.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm

I'm actually mostly okay with the idea of a FOID. If I want to sell a gun, I can get a yes/no from ISP almost immediately with just a name, DOB, and FOOD number. I won't say I agree with all the gun laws here, but the FOOD is something I think IL did mostly right.

CCW permits are expensive though.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'm actually mostly okay with the idea of a FOID. If I want to sell a gun, I can get a yes/no from ISP almost immediately with just a name, DOB, and FOOD number. I won't say I agree with all the gun laws here, but the FOOD is something I think IL did mostly right.

What is a ISP, and what is the yes/no for?
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Rev wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'm actually mostly okay with the idea of a FOID. If I want to sell a gun, I can get a yes/no from ISP almost immediately with just a name, DOB, and FOOD number. I won't say I agree with all the gun laws here, but the FOOD is something I think IL did mostly right.

Illinois State Police, and on whether or not the person is eligible to purchase a firearm in the state. No make, model, type, or caliber or even a record of sale required.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Rev wrote:

Probably Illinois State Police, and he is talking about a a call to the State police to get a yes or no to see if you are selling a gun to a known criminal or documented nutcase.

While I don't want to go down the slippery road of gun politics, I sort of agree a bit with what DocFab is saying. I don't want to have full blown FOID or anything like IL gun laws in my home state of PA, but I hate seeing straw purchase going down in most gun store parking lots, and morons face to face private buying and selling guns with zero background check or documentation with someone they just met on the internet.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 pm

00dlez wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Had I not been wanting another AK, I'd probably have walked out of there with a really nice basic Del-Ton AR for 619 bucks. Seemed to be a decent price, but I could be wrong.
Depending on the model you saw, not really that great. This sale has been going on for at least a week, maybe two: http://grabagun.com/del-ton-sport-lite- ... -30rd.html
That's exactly the model I looked at, 00dlez.

It looked like it was a decent rifle, but I know next to nothing about ARS so I very well could've been wrong.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:10 pm

It'd be nice to have the OPTION of making a call, but I'm reminded of two legal axioms: "Bad facts make bad law", and "A right delayed is a right denied." If anybody wants to talk politics on this via PM, I'm game, since I'm currently disabled and fairly bored.

Regarding the ITW Fastmags, there's a pretty big price spread. I assume that somebody is making Airsoft copies, right?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 pm

SMoAF wrote:It'd be nice to have the OPTION of making a call, but I'm reminded of two legal axioms: "Bad facts make bad law", and "A right delayed is a right denied." If anybody wants to talk politics on this via PM, I'm game, since I'm currently disabled and fairly bored.

Regarding the ITW Fastmags, there's a pretty big price spread. I assume that somebody is making Airsoft copies, right?
I actually just looked up those ITW fast mag things on Amazon and there's at least one seller offering airsoft versions for about 10 bucks or so.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Hate to derail the firearms chat that's going on but I just had a quick question. I just got my new to me Springfield XDM9 (woohoo!!!) I took the slide off at the store and now I can't. I pull it back, lock it, flip the little lever thingy up 90 degrees, release the slide and it won't come off. Am I suddenly in the ten days since I took it apart completely miss something?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 pm

One of these work for ya?

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 pm

SMoAF wrote: Regarding the ITW Fastmags, there's a pretty big price spread. I assume that somebody is making Airsoft copies, right?
The OPFOR is ~$5 more too
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Halfapint, you need to pull the trigger before the slide will come off. Lock the slide back, flip up the lever, release the slide slowly, pull the trigger, pull the slide the rest of the way off.

Sent via carrier wave.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Dave_M wrote:
SMoAF wrote: Regarding the ITW Fastmags, there's a pretty big price spread. I assume that somebody is making Airsoft copies, right?
The OPFOR is ~$5 more too
Have you personally tried either the Fastmags or the OPFORs? To be honest, due to the high signal to noise ratio, I've been pretty far out of the loop for quite a while now. I've got a decent grasp of things that happened a decade or two ago, but unless it involves a good friend, I'm not going to hear about what's good and what's bad out there. OTOH, I trust you and Doc's opinion. While the system Doc is using is cool for being able to take both AK and AR mags, I'm all about KISS, and have just committed to the AR platform for both myself, the kids, and any kids they may have for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get Mrs SMoAF's .30-06 out of her hands until I've proved that I've outlived her. :lol:
Last edited by SMoAF on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 pm

I monkeyed with the Fastmags. For the price, I like the HSGIs better. The retention is solid, and while I wouldn't hang any mag carrier upside-down, you could do it with the Tacos. The Fastmags do have replaceable rubber bands, which is nice, but they're also hard plastic. HSGI double-rifle pouches can expand to hold non-magazines [radios, water bottles] should you be kinky like that.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Halfapint wrote:Hate to derail the firearms chat that's going on but I just had a quick question. I just got my new to me Springfield XDM9 (woohoo!!!) I took the slide off at the store and now I can't. I pull it back, lock it, flip the little lever thingy up 90 degrees, release the slide and it won't come off. Am I suddenly in the ten days since I took it apart completely miss something?
I think Towanda's right. Never broken down an XD but AFAIK all striker fired pistols need to have the striker deactivated prior to takedown. The easiest way to do this is to first check the gun is unloaded then dry fire it.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:21 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I monkeyed with the Fastmags. For the price, I like the HSGIs better.
My main concern with the HSGIs is the exterior cordage. That's an out-and-out deal killer, not for me, but for one of the SMoAFlings, and I'm trying to find a good fix.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:18 am

I have an ITW around someplace, have multiple OPFORS, and a boatload of Tacos. All of my rigs have Tacos (okay, a smattering of TYR Happy mag pouches too). I wouldn't trust a filled AR mag upside down in a Taco through any sort of movement. Regarding the OPFOR pouches I haven't put them through enough paces to make a full determination as of this writing.

But wait one... HSGI just rolled out their new attachment method (the 'HSG Clip') and everything is shipping with those instead of MALICE as of today (err.. Yesterday if you're in EST). Some shops have heavily discounted their older Tacos in anticipation of the new ones. (All because of the connector? Whatever, I'm on the hunt for more tomorrow)
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:33 am

Halfapint wrote:Hate to derail the firearms chat that's going on but I just had a quick question. I just got my new to me Springfield XDM9 (woohoo!!!) I took the slide off at the store and now I can't. I pull it back, lock it, flip the little lever thingy up 90 degrees, release the slide and it won't come off. Am I suddenly in the ten days since I took it apart completely miss something?
Is it plugged in?
Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:54 am

Well rats. I figure I'll get one of each, mess with them, and if they don't work, they don't work. I know people who took an idea or two, dicked around with them for awhile, put them back together, got NSNs, sold hundreds of thousands of units, and laugh their asses off when they see plastic Airsoft copies. I know exactly what I want, it's not even a difficult/expensive issue from a manufacturing standpoint. Hell, I could jerry rig something using almost all off the shelf parts, and I'm certain that it'll work. It'd be a real kick in the posterior if my youngest daughter's unauthorized modification/destruction of her kit turns into a side business paying more than my day job, if I could talk my employer into letting me make them. :lol:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”