Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Shiloh » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Nobody's started this yet? HERESY I SAY.

So to start it off: Found out my walmart has some cheap 00 buck on sale for $12 a box. It's import stuff, but I frankly don't care since I'm running it through my 870. And I just got paid. Fffffffffuckyeah!
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:16 pm

I thought we were using the nail gun chat as the new FA Chat?

Speaking of purchases, I bought two more G21 mags (which brings my total to twelve now) and a couple Arsenal branded 10 round AK mags. I have no idea why I bought them because I'm damn near swimming in AK mags, but hey the shop had them and they were cheap.

All goes well tomorrow and I'll be bringing home another bunch of mags and possibly a new AK as well. :clap:

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:35 am

Picked up a "New"(transferred but never fired) Sig Mosquito at a gun show this past weekend. Haggled him from $425 to $300. Been wanting a threaded .22lr handgun for a while and decided to jump on this one. It's a little finicky depending on ammo, but I have some ideas to smooth her out. Very accurate though, and I'm happy with it.

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:11 pm

A couple hundred bucks later and I've got a pretty decent supply of mags for my AK now.

Had zero luck finding a good AK, though. So it looks like I'll be ordering one from the local hardware store again.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Speaking of mags, how much mag wobble is too much on an AK ?

I ask because some of the mags I now own wobble a good bit and they have me wondering if the mag well is cut a little too large (if so, what would be the fix for that) or if the mags themselves are too worn down.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:54 pm

IIRC people make shims and JB weld them to the sides of the magwell to reduce wobble. That said it shouldn't affect function.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:07 pm

If the mag doesn't fall out and or cause the rifle to jam its not a problem other than aesthetically. On the other hand if it bothers you, you could always add one of these.

that should reduce some wiggle and make it easier to find the mag insert point faster.
ZS#4545

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 pm

AS556 wrote:IIRC people make shims and JB weld them to the sides of the magwell to reduce wobble. That said it shouldn't affect function.
If the wobble affects the function, I'm taking my rifle to a gunsmith so I don't inadvertently mess up my rifle.

Looking at the rifle itself, it looks like the manufacturer cut the mag well a wee bit too large. Plastic mags fit fine with little to no wobble, but metal mags wobble in varying levels.

ETA: CricketDave, you got a link to that mag well thing ? That may solve my problem.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:22 pm

Here you go chimp, I haven't personally used one but a buddy has one on one of his Aks and it works pretty well. No complaints about it at all.

http://shop.solartactical.com/searchqui ... words=mfer
ZS#4545

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:23 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Speaking of mags, how much mag wobble is too much on an AK ?

I ask because some of the mags I now own wobble a good bit and they have me wondering if the mag well is cut a little too large (if so, what would be the fix for that) or if the mags themselves are too worn down.
AS556 wrote:IIRC people make shims and JB weld them to the sides of the magwell to reduce wobble. That said it shouldn't affect function.
^^^^ Dead on.

Chimp, I assume you got a WASR or similar which does not have the indents on the sides of the receiver? Also, "how much wobble is too much?" If it is causing problems feeding, or bothering you with noise, it is too much.

I might have had a problem with feeding once before I fixed the wobble. I had a WASR, and the round struck the rim of the chamber rather than entering the chamber. It was a Yugo FMJ. I did not have any problems once I fixed the mag wobble. That was probably 500 rounds? It took maybe 200+ rounds to have the FTF.

The WASR series always has plates welded into the sides to fill up space. I suspect everyone has to build them up to fix wobble. I put JB Weld in there, waited about 8 hrs, IIRC, and then put some oil on the outside of a mag and slowly put it into the mag well, then slowly extracted it. It might be better to do this at 4 hrs. But my thinking was it allows the JB to set up some and then I can fit the mag perfectly. The oil obviously allowed it to enter and exit without sticking or taking JB with it. After 24 hrs, I would re-fit the mag and file or sand the JB as needed. I had to build it up a second time. I think my first time there was not enough surface area to contact the mag. It was kinda like I put two mountain tips to hold the mag in place (I was conservative) and the little mountain tips got squashed. So I pasted it out over a wider area (maybe a half-inch circle of contact area on each side of the mag) and that worked real well. Sanded and filed just a bit to ease mag entry. Maybe should have checked to make sure it was strait, but it fed fine, so all was good.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 pm

cricketdave wrote:Here you go chimp, I haven't personally used one but a buddy has one on one of his Aks and it works pretty well. No complaints about it at all.

http://shop.solartactical.com/searchqui ... words=mfer
Sweet.

Thanks, CricketDave.

ETA: Woodsghost, I've got an M+M M10 AK that's basically an upgraded WASR-10. I never noticed the mag wobble until today when I checked some new mags I got. If the wobble affects function, I'll have a gunsmith check out my rifle. I don't quite trust myself to do the JB Weld trick.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Well, I just placed an order with the local hardware store for a Century RAS 47 AK and I'm hoping to have it in my hands in a couple weeks.

Had I not been wanting another AK, I'd probably have walked out of there with a really nice basic Del-Ton AR for 619 bucks. Seemed to be a decent price, but I could be wrong.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Anybody got a line on police trade in Glocks that are in stock? Dumping my 229R and going back to plastic. Not wanting to spend over $400. 9mm only.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:13 pm

AS556 wrote:Anybody got a line on police trade in Glocks that are in stock? Dumping my 229R and going back to plastic. Not wanting to spend over $400. 9mm only.
I think Bud's gun shop has a supply of 9mm police trade in Glocks, but I'm not totally sure.

AS556

Post by AS556 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks chimp, already grabbed a Gen 2 G17 for $359 from Summit Gunbroker. Mark the owner is a great guy, definitely recommend dealing with him.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:20 pm

AS556 wrote:Thanks chimp, already grabbed a Gen 2 G17 for $359 from Summit Gunbroker. Mark the owner is a great guy, definitely recommend dealing with him.
Man, that site completely slipped my mind. I usually look at Bud's for police trade ins, but Summit Gunbroker does tend to have a more steady supply.

Not to mention cheaper prices.

I like looking through his confiscated guns section (before he split it up into three different categories) and seeing what sort of stuff he dumps in there. I almost bought a real nice used GP100 from there, actually.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Ok, I figure I'll throw this out here. Awhile ago, I saw a new to me type of AR magazine carrier for one's LBE. Instead of standard pouches, it basically had three closed top magwells that had mags inserted into them. The net result was that the bottoms of the magazines were exposed, making it look "stupid-simple in a good way" to access them quickly and surely. I don't even know what to call it, so Google isn't a help. Any idea?
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's toNo the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:57 pm

SMoAF wrote:Ok, I figure I'll throw this out here. Awhile ago, I saw a new to me type of AR magazine carrier for one's LBE. Instead of standard pouches, it basically had three closed top magwells that had mags inserted into them. The net result was that the bottoms of the magazines were exposed, making it look "stupid-simple in a good way" to access them quickly and surely. I don't even know what to call it, so Google isn't a help. Any idea?
The ITW Fastmag?

I'm currently using the HSGI TACO pouches. Same idea, but an elastic-expanding doodag around it so I can use AR, AR10, AK, or whatever else mags in the same pouch. Link because massive picture: http://www.ar500armor.com/images/detail ... cebook.jpg
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AS556

Post by AS556 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:59 pm

ITW Fastmag maybe? Kinda hard to tell from your description.

Edit: Doc beat me to it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 pm

I don't think the ITW thing is what SMoAF is describing, guys.

It sounds like the rig he's looking for has the tops of the mags covered while the bottoms are out in the open. Sort of like when a mag is inserted into a rifle. Or an upside down mag pouch.

It sounds like something you'd see a 3 gun competitor would use, but I could totally be wrong.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I don't think the ITW thing is what SMoAF is describing, guys.

It sounds like the rig he's looking for has the tops of the mags covered while the bottoms are out in the open. Sort of like when a mag is inserted into a rifle. Or an upside down mag pouch.

It sounds like something you'd see a 3 gun competitor would use, but I could totally be wrong.
Flip the ITW upside down.

In other news, I has my FOID. One month turn-around ain't bad.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:53 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I don't think the ITW thing is what SMoAF is describing, guys.

Flip the ITW upside down.

In other news, I has my FOID. One month turn-around ain't bad.
Where's a pic of Homer Simpson saying "D'oh." when I need one ? Because that's how I'm feeling right now. :lol:

Speaking of gun related bits of paper, I'm hoping to get my concealed carry permit some time in the near future. All I have to do is find a class close to me and pay the 180 bucks or whatever the hell it costs now.

I've got a good holster, I've got mags and ammo, now all I need is some training along with the permit to carry and I'll be good to go.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:54 pm

It was probably OPFOR Mag pouches by Limitless Gear. While one can invert an ITW Fastmag, Limitless had some of theirs inverted in some advertisements.

Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:20 am

Rebuilt my old carbine, because it was heavy as fuck and sitting around not getting much use. Already ran it through a carbine course and it was 100% solid. Loving the SLR adjustable block. I'm back to running a nib standard carbine bcg and buffer and recoil is nonexistent now. Pretty sure this is my go-to AR now.

Before:

After:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”