It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best shooting glasses?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:23 am 

Do you agree with that list:
Top rated shooting glasses in 2014?
Which parameter should be read to tell the difference between different manufacturers for understand the most effective product?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:43 am 

Maybe due to me not being a real experienced shooter but I like ones with interchangeable lenses so I can use tinted outdoor and clear indoor.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Meh, I don't like "specific" shooting lenses because its gimmicky. Either give me my Oakley's with the best lenses made today or cheap safety glasses. I think if you're gonna fork over big bucks, at least get a nice pair of shades.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:59 pm 

I believe shooting glasses are tested to a higher standard than regular safety glasses. I've been buying inexpensive shooting glasses and then use them for shooting, sunglasses, and safety glasses.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:22 pm 

While the actual article is a couple years old, Luckygunner looked at eye protection and a most of the information is still very relevant. I suggest reading it before you spend much money on "shooting" glasses. Some of them are far, far superior to others for that use.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-pro ... es-review/

To start with, the ANSI z87.1 standard isn't very good for shooting glasses. It doesn't simulate the high-velocity events common to shooting. The impact test is based on a .25" steel ball at 150 fps. ANSI z87.1 is an industrial standard, meant for low-velocity workplace protection.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:06 am 

Whatever fits over my prescription glasses without fogging every time I exhale. I've got a pair of inexpensive Solar Shield sunglasses (aka "my bug eyes") that I like to use when it's very bright out. I'd like to get a pair of prescription safety sunglasses but for now, it's whatever works.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:50 am 

I don't really get the point of the testing done in the luckygunner link. I feel like if you're getting shot in the face you have bigger problems than not wearing bulletproof eye wear. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shooting glasses are to stop ricocheted fragments (lie from shooting steel plate targets with the wrong type of ammo), and gasses (if you're shooting real black powder guns [like civil war not the inlines]). I suppose they'd also be useful if your gun explodes in your face, but that shouldn't ever happen. The most important feature of shooting glasses to me are that they don't distort your vision. I've never really had an issue with the pair of glass safety glasses my Uncle gave me. I don't feel like digging them out right now so I can't give you a brand. Then again I've never had a situation where I truly needed them. I always make sure I shoot at safe targets and I use soft lead when I shoot at plates. When I shoot Civil War stuff I always use them just because primer back blow sucks, but in those cases you don't need a whole lot of protection (just something to cover your whole eye)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 am 

luckygunner wrote:
Therefore, I used a number of common firearms with relatively low-powered types of ammunition to determine how well each type of eye pro dealt with projectiles moving at “firearm velocities,” albeit those at the lower end of the range. These low-velocity projectiles might represent, for example, a ricocheted fragment of an originally larger and faster bullet.

It’s important to note that the ammunition you see here exceeds military and civilian testing standards. This test was harsh because we wanted to find the most protective eyewear on the market – and then we wanted to see when that “best eye pro” would fail.

He isn't trying to replicate getting shot in the face. (Well, except maybe with the .22LR bit - which nothing passed anyway - as a final destructive test. In case one pair was made of adamantium I suppose.)

As I said before, ANSI 87.1 is a test of a .25" steel ball at 150 fps. That's major league fastball velocities, not ricochet or out of battery firing or explosive receiver failure velocities/masses.

The military uses a much better standard for testing but not many "shooting glasses" are tested to it or marketed as tested to it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:07 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

http://www.oakley.com/en/technology/eyewear
https://www.oakleysi.com/Product_Category.cfm?id=20

I don't always drink the Oakley Kool-aid, but I have a pair from the service and a pair I bought for $60 off a buddy, I have been abusing both for over years now and there are barely any scratches on the lenses. When I buy my next shades, they won't be Oakley due to price, and because I have 3 pair, but they do make the best/strongest/clearest lenses in glasses.

On a safety glass side, I have family that work as OSHA safety professionals, so I will be seeking some resources from them on safety glasses and such.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:56 pm 

KGBrick wrote:
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-protection-shooting-glasses-review/

Interesting.
From that review the:
Smith Optics Aegis ARC and Outside The Wire
seem really good (and the price is surprisingly affordable).

About Oakley the models:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
https://www.oakleysi.com/Product_Category.cfm?id=20

These two model seem nice:
Oakley SI Ballistic Goggle 2.0
Oakley SI Ballistic M Frame 3.0
and seem meet even the military standard.

Now I found a link:
Military Sunglasses
which said that the products listed meet or exceed the U.S. Military Ballistic Standard MIL-PRF-31013.

Does goggle can be worn in the summer without the sweat getting into the eye?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:15 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

alessandro wrote:
...Does goggle can be worn in the summer without the sweat getting into the eye?

The foam backing on my ESS goggles always did a great job at keeping my eyes dry during those long and hot Carolina days.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I was rather impressed with the performance of the women's winchester shooting glasses, think I'll pick up a few pairs for the ladies in my life that enjoy coming over to shoot.

Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:34 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I think this tells the story more than anything else
Quote:
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon

AKA: Make a list of eyepro people are most likely to purchase.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:50 am 

KGBrick wrote:
luckygunner wrote:
Therefore, I used a number of common firearms with relatively low-powered types of ammunition to determine how well each type of eye pro dealt with projectiles moving at “firearm velocities,” albeit those at the lower end of the range. These low-velocity projectiles might represent, for example, a ricocheted fragment of an originally larger and faster bullet.

It’s important to note that the ammunition you see here exceeds military and civilian testing standards. This test was harsh because we wanted to find the most protective eyewear on the market – and then we wanted to see when that “best eye pro” would fail.

He isn't trying to replicate getting shot in the face. (Well, except maybe with the .22LR bit - which nothing passed anyway - as a final destructive test. In case one pair was made of adamantium I suppose.)

As I said before, ANSI 87.1 is a test of a .25" steel ball at 150 fps. That's major league fastball velocities, not ricochet or out of battery firing or explosive receiver failure velocities/masses.

The military uses a much better standard for testing but not many "shooting glasses" are tested to it or marketed as tested to it.

From Wiki
The U.S. military standard requires (at a minimum) that ballistic eyewear can always withstand a 0.15 caliber, 5.8 grain, T37 shaped projectile at a velocity of 640 to 660 feet per second.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_eyewear

However ANSI Z87.1 not only protects from a .25" steel ball at 150 fps but from chemical liquid splash, dust, dirt, debris coming from all types of directions. I think that is why true industrial safety glasses are bigger and have more of a wrap around protection than some shooting glasses. Safety glasses protect against debris coming from multiple angles while some cheaper shooting glasses are just hardened sunglasses that are impact/penetration resistant. You at least want something that is ANSI Z87.1. I rather wear industrial safety glasses, over "shooting glasses" with no safety rating.

The best shooting glasses should say that they are compliance with ANSI Z87.1 and impact requirements of the US Military MIL-V-43511C. They are a few shooting glasses that have both, but I have not seen any that are under $50....If anyone knows of a pair that is cheaper please let us know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:19 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Mikeyboy wrote:
If anyone knows of a pair that is cheaper please let us know.

You really want to trust your eyeballs to "A pair that's cheaper" ?

PPE isn't something I mess around with. I like my eyes just as they are, and since I can't get any bionic replacements yet I go for what meets the strictest standards first, Fit second, price last.

I personally went with the Smith Optics Ageis Echo I especially dig the superthin temples. They disappear under earpro with zero discomfort even after an entire day of shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:36 am 

I've been pretty happy with my ESS Crossbow glasses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:18 am 

madoka wrote:
ESS Crossbow glasses.

Seem interesting the ESS Crossbow Suppressor 2X, I add it on my second scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:03 pm 

I use prescription glasses, so even back when I was a bike messenger I've always looked for "all in one" solutions.
Back in the late '90s I stumbled across the Bolle Vigilante / Parole multi-lens + prescription lens system and never looked back.
Even though they are getting on in years the design is pretty classic so while not cutting edge, they don't make me look like I am wearing my dad's shooting glasses. Also the choices in lens tints is pretty much unrivaled.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bollz-parole-sunglasses-tt-silver-tns-gun.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/presrxadforb.html

I know for a fact that the sun-glass lenses for these meet and exceed the ANSI Z87.1 rating, however I have not been able to out find if they have ever been subjected for review for the MIL-V-43511C standard, so I am going to assume that they do not meet it.

Now here is the question: If the lenses in your RX insert are made out of a MIL-V-43511C rated polycarbonate material like Spectralite or CR-39 in the required thickness would that improve the rating on an existing pair of 'all in one' glasses?

Bolle does have a couple of models listed on the link that alessandro provided and one of them will take an Rx insert, so if you would want something that out of the box is MIL-V-43511C compliant you are G2G.

I am willing to vouch for Bolle as a company, they are either owned or represented by Bushnell in the US and their service department has been very good to me: I bought online an RX insert where the center button that fits into the actual sunglasses frame was miscast resulting on a crooked mount once you snapped them in. Since I didn't check on this until almost a year after I bought them and by then I couldn't even find the purchase receipt I went to Bolle directly.
They sent me a replacement no questions asked they did request I send them a picture of my crooked Rx frame and the batch information on the packaging more for their QA purposes than anything.

*Came back and edited for awful grammar and horrible syntax.

I <3 ZS!

Last edited by mr_slappy75 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:39 pm 

mr_slappy75 wrote:
I use prescription glasses, so even back when I was a bike messenger I've always looked for "all in one" solutions.

I have not thought about this issue :oops: mistakenly thinking that the lenses of these solutions could be replaceable with prescription glasses with the same feautures. :?
This lack limit quite a lot the effective use on many solutions. :?

Now I understand why exist something like that:
ESS Striker series Goggles
for use over prescription eyewear.

Now I found another link with:
Smith Optics Elite and other brands
where is say can be used adding over prescription eyewear as happen for Bolle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:55 pm 

I tend to just use my Oakleys. I have a somewhat huge head, and Oakleys are just hands down the most comfortable for wearing all day long. My preferred tint is "dark bronze", which gives amazing contrast and a slight "amber" tint, which makes them fine to use even on overcast days. I do however, always keep a couple of extra "cheap" safety glasses in my gear bag, and in my car in case for whatever reason I need them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 am 

Now I found an image how these things work.
And on this video:
ESS Land Ops Review
It's possible see a system that give the possibilities to be put over normal glass without use insert accessory.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:28 pm 

alessandro wrote:
Now I found an image how these things work.
And on this video:
ESS Land Ops Review
It's possible see a system that give the possibilities to be put over normal glass without use insert accessory.

A guy who works at my local gun store rocks a pair of those (the ones on the upper right). It's a little funny the first time you see them, but as a fellow glasses wearer, I totally get it. I struggled finding a good pair of over the glasses safety glasses for awhile, until I finally started wearing contacts daily.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My shooting glasses are the pinnacle of tactical mil-spec and double as a flawless "gray man" disguise in a SHTF scenario. I got them ON SALE at my LGS for $220 OTD - I challenge you to find something better at that price point!

Urban Sniper Tactical Specs - Black/OD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:30 pm 

Hey guys, what do you think about the Radians shooting glasses? Today, I was searching on google about the best shooting glasses and find this old thread. I am asking here to confirm that It is not a low quality glass. Any type advice about shooting glasses will be appreciated. I read a few article about the best shooting glasses https://totalguide.org/best-shooting-glasses/ like this. And most of them suggesting Radians shooting glass. Experience shooter advise please!