What is Your Favorite Gun?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: What is Your Favorite Gun?

Post by Caenus » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:39 am

Right now, Henry .22mag levergun. So fun...when I have .22 Mag...
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:48 pm

mantis wrote:What is your favorite gun? It's not necessarily one that you own or even could legally own....of any firearm of any type from any era...what is your favorite?
That's a very fun question to think about, but a very tough question to answer!

I really do like the AR-15. I like its versatility, there's just so much you can do with that platform, it's ridiculous.
I think the Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 is just plain sexy. There's just something about it. I don't own one, and likely never will, but I do very much like the idea of having one.
I think Dave is right, the old Thompson just reeks of class. I would lean more toward the M1A1 or M1928A1.
The M-203 was a blast (pun intended) to get to shoot during basic training...I don't know if I could call it my favorite separate from the AR-15/M-16 family, so maybe the old M-79, as a stand-alone gun?
Hmm...
As far as handguns go, I think the old LeMat and Schofield revolvers were neat, art as much as a weapon. I love the 1911 for the history, and Glock 19 or 23 in terms of utter practicality.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:39 am

Heh, my fave thing that I've ever pulled a trigger on was definitely the Mk19mod3 on a M113A3...

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:46 am

.milFox wrote:Heh, my fave thing that I've ever pulled a trigger on was definitely the Mk19mod3 on a M113A3...
Yeah, I bet that'd be tough to beat. :D

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:04 pm

I don't really have a favorite gun, but the ones I'd like to buy (or shoot) in the near future are all German weapons from WWII. The MP-44, the G-43, the MG 34 and 42, the Volkssturmgewehr line, and the FG-42. Part of my quest to fire all of the small arms used in the European Theatre.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:44 pm

My next one. Right now, I'm collecting parts and laying the groundwork for a Mosin Nagant chambered in 500 S&W.
And, of course, AR 15 copies.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Of what I own, I love my AR15. I have it set up the way I like it, it works for me, and I know it well. My skills are still developing but they are strongest with this firearm.

Of what I have fired, Uzi 9mm. Just a fun, pleasant gun to shoot. Jungle Walk at Knob Creek a couple times. Love it.

That I have handled but not fired, M240B (FN MAG) machine gun I got to play with at an airshow. Would love to shoot one. Would love to own one even more. But for the money, my house was a more practical investment. M2 .50 is a close second.

That I have seen in person, Minigun. Love that sound.

That I have heard of, Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range.

Sledd00
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sledd00 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Ol' Ma Deuce - Browning M2 .50 cal machine gun. Not as huge a fan of the new modded ones, because you can't mess with the timing on them, but not having to deal with headspace is a blessing.

For personal weapons, rather than crew served, I'd have to go AR-15 and 1911. Pretty vanilla on that, but they're so comfortable to shoot and carry that anything else feels like a compromise

DoomGuy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Casablanca; Citizen Kane; The Star Wars

Post by DoomGuy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 pm

So many, so I will go with one I own. My Ares Shrike is second to none. I also LOVE my Mikor Mk.1, but it is SO hard to find 40MM grenades.
Runnerups
My Galil
GMal
SKS
Fr-80
Browning Auto 5
M18175
And my KA-50 Blackshark (not really a gun, but it HAS guns)
Looking for fun and I'm feeling groovy.
The ideas nobody else bothers to have. Always there with grammar enforcement and OUT of the box thinking.
FOUNDING MEMBER OF
Zombie Squad Division 1337 "oh shit that's an elephant"
Zombie Squad Division -12 "League of Supervillains"
PM ME FOR APLLICATIONS

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 pm

Sledd00 wrote:Ol' Ma Deuce - Browning M2 .50 cal machine gun
Seconded.
but not having to deal with headspace is a blessing.
It isn't that big a deal. If you run the same one for a bit, you know just how many clicks to roll the barrel back to set it.
Mine was alway twist till flush then back 2.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Pistols: Glock 19 by a long shot

Revolvers: Smith and Wesson .44 magnum

Shotguns: Eh. Any 12 gauge pump. (I own a Mossberg 500)

Rifles: Well... there's two... one in practice, one in theory:'

In practice: Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
In theory: Tracking Point XS-1 in .338 Lapua Magnum
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:41 am

Can I play too? :clownshoes:

Pistol: Glock 26. Cow utter consistent and reliable. Mine has neverr malfunctioned. Except that one time with those KCI mags and all that sand....

Semi-Auto Rifle: Mah Daniel Defense 16.5" CHF light weight AR-15. Super accurate, unfailing reliability, and ergos that are off that chain. All in with the 1.5x red ring dot Trijicon optic it weights 6.5 lbs.

Manual action rifle: Rossi 44 mag. 4.8 lbs, 34" long, 8 rd mag. What's not to like, as handy as a walking stick.

Shotgun: Between my two, probably the O/U Maverick.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:32 am

DoomGuy wrote:So many, so I will go with one I own. My Ares Shrike is second to none. I also LOVE my Mikor Mk.1, but it is SO hard to find 40MM grenades.
Runnerups
My Galil
GMal
SKS
Fr-80
Browning Auto 5
M18175
And my KA-50 Blackshark (not really a gun, but it HAS guns)
Pretty sure you're a super-villain. :lol:

Sledd00
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sledd00 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:40 pm

It isn't that big a deal. If you run the same one for a bit, you know just how many clicks to roll the barrel back to set it.
Mine was alway twist till flush then back 2.
True, but different barrels tend to have different headspaces, so switching them out was a pain. Also, if you have to use an unfamiliar gun, it is much easier to use the new ones. I did VERY much prefer being able to play with the timing though. All in all, headspace is an easy enough task with an M2, and worth being able to play with the timing.

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:52 pm

AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:15 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
omega_man wrote:MP-5

Predator and Die Hard were my favorite movies growing up :awesome: I like how they shoot, too!

:lol: great answer

I'm all in love with my 228. Shoots great. But I'm pretty slutty and I like other guns too

I love that 228, man. I might even like it more than my 229. :gonk:

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Anschutz 54 Action.

I fired millions of rounds out of them in practice and competition. It's pretty much my firearms benchmark.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:25 pm

A couple of sentimental favorites I inherited:

My Grandfather's M1A1 ranch.....dairy farm.....rifle.

My Father's IMI .44 mag Timber Wolf.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Favorite…

Not necessarily a practical, accurate, smooth functioning, durable, etc. weapon, but also not saying it couldn't be…

Just "favorite"…

Was a Wilkinson Arms Sherry (Auto Nine) in .22LR… Years ago I had one in "gold".

Image link to someone else's weapon:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... =0&ndsp=13

Cannot remember where or when I got rid of it, but over the years, with moving around, planning for retirement, blah, blah, I've sold off most of the stuff from my "younger days".

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Well, depends.

I'm pretty damn fond of my Glock 17 Gen 3. I know it sounds silly, but I trust it implicitly. It is carried both for duty and for CCW. I shoot it well, it conceals easily, and I haven't any major complaints with it. It's my favorite defensive weapon, and I shoot it a bunch.

However, my favorite gun is probably my Zastava M70 hunting rifle project, chambered in .30-06. It's the only gun I've named: Edelweiss. The metal is gorgeous. The walnut stock, while pretty raw, shows a lot of potential (it needs some work though.) I've mounted a gloss Leupold 1-piece base and have intentions of mounting a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm (gloss) optic in the future. It's something that I hope to pass on to my son when I pass.

I've considered having the M70 dropped into a new stock, but I just can't part with the walnut on it. It's got a whole lot of potential; very nice figure, decent lines. If there's interest, I'll snap a few pictures and post 'em.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm interested, post 'em up! :)
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:26 pm

eeb wrote:I'm interested, post 'em up! :)
It'll have to wait until I'm home for some current ones, but here's some older, crappy cellphone pics that fail to the rifle justice. These don't show the scope mount/rings, sling, and it's still sans optics, but you can see the rifle upon which I'm working and where it's going.

The whole thing:

Mauser bolt:

Some of the figure and lines:
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:38 pm

Though I will likely never own one the Biestegui Hermanos Royal MM34 machine pistol is my favorite:

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:58 pm

It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun.

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”