It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:15 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MacAttack wrote:
I notice no one has said 'tranquilizer gun'.

I guess we all agree that waiting a hlf hour for a T-Rex to fall over all sleepy like it not a good idea.

Yep.

I'd rather not end up as lunch for a doped up but still pissed off animal the size of my apartment after someone shoots it in the ass with a tranquilizer dart.

I'll only be happy when that dino is dead and being tossed on the world's largest BBQ pit. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:59 pm 

For the rangers: fairly non-descript but large bolt actions chambered in 50BMG. Supply "tranqualizer rounds"(it's a movie) as primary ammo, with a few AP rounds for last resort. Also some up-armored hummvees with Ma Dueces on the roofs.

Hero: prolly a full auto SCAR 17 with a 50 or 75 round drum. Being a movie, it'll work due to better shot placement and "military only hollowpoints"(rolls eyes). A deagle for a pistol. Full auto with an extended, 33 (infinite) round mag. :D

This subject is "far too fantasy for THR". Well I hope the same remains true of my home being invaded, but I'm still gonna give it some thought, see how it applies to my preps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:50 pm 

I can't believe no one has mentioned the .577 Tyrannosaur. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MacAttack wrote:

I guess we all agree that waiting a hlf hour for a T-Rex to fall over all sleepy like it not a good idea.

Yep.

I'd rather not end up as lunch for a doped up but still pissed off animal the size of my apartment after someone shoots it in the ass with a tranquilizer dart.

I'll only be happy when that dino is dead and being tossed on the world's largest BBQ pit. :lol:

+1 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 pm 

yossarian wrote:

I forgot about that! Genius! It's right in the name!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:47 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

yossarian wrote:

You're right, it is the most fitting rifle, isn't it?

I'm a baller on a budget so I was thinking of a 'regular' elephant gun... if I had to pick a wildcat cartridge, I might have to look at a .600 Overkill

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:03 pm 

I still don't think the T-rex would be as tough as an elephant. Remember their bone structure was closer to birds than modern day mega fauna. And they recently found some preserved skin samples that show they were fairly thinned skinned compared to an elephants. Being bipedal, I would also assume a solid shot to either of the hips would incapacitate one much more so than a shattered shoulder of an elephant as well. Even the elephants skull is much thicker in comparison.

Plenty of elephants have been hunted with smaller calibers. Walter Bell killed hundreds using a 7x57. And hundred more are poached every year by people using the lowly 7.62x39.

But can you imagine the damage a 40 ton brachiosaurus on a rampage could do? Or a herd of triceratops on a stampede. That's a job for something much bigger, preferably mounted on a Humvee a good distance away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:17 pm 

MacAttack wrote:

That actually happens in the book. Muldoon shoots a Rex with a tranq gun, but thinks he misses. Later they find the Rex and the drugs finally kicked in.

They even talk a bit about the usefulness (or non-usefulness) of tranq guns. I can't remember the quote, but it went something like this.

"Dosing an animal isn't just something you can just do based on size. Shoot an elephant with a tranq, and it might get groggy for 30 minutes before it finally collapses. Shoot the same load at a water buffalo, and it'll thrash and fight for another 10 straight minutes and then fall down dead."

Muldoon later makes mention that the dinos have a different sort of nervous system than anything else he has hunted, and wouldn't trust anything other than blowing one apart to decisively stop on. This is why in the books he uses a LAW rocket launcher as his only non-tranq weapon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:26 pm 

A GAU-8 Avenger and the aircraft built around it.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:05 am 

I'll play, although I'm not totally sure what I'd pick.

Sounds like a great excuse for a double rifle, but I'm unsure if it's a great choice.
Guide gun/SBL with some copper solids.
Either a SOCOM or a AR10 in 300SAUM, with LOTS of ammo.

For longer shots, I'm thinking 300WM, 338RUM something big and fast. I'd be looking at Lost River bullets, or some other similar solid copper lathe turned bullet. I'm thinking fast, heavy, with lots of penetration will be your friend. I have no experience with 50BMG, but, personally I'm not sure I'd want a super heavy rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:23 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Sworbeyegib wrote:

But can you imagine the damage a 40 ton brachiosaurus on a rampage could do? Or a herd of triceratops on a stampede. That's a job for something much bigger, preferably mounted on a Humvee a good distance away.

I have trouble believing the largest dinosaurs could rampage. Doesn't mean they couldn't, but I cannot even imagine an animal of that size moving particularly fast.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:26 pm 

LowKey wrote:
procyon wrote:
procyon wrote:

woodsghost wrote:I figure a pistol i useful for any lizard under a certain weight. At what point does a pistol stop being useful on alligators? 50 lbs? 100 lbs? I really don't know, but pistols will make a difference. Just not on big stuff.

I never said a pistol wouldn't be useful. But the 'extras' who pull their pistol in a dino movie will have their screen time measured in seconds. You won't see enough of the gun to make much difference.

If you want the 'cowboy' who carries his Colt SAA, it is just for the heros to find later letting them know that ranger is gone...

...or for him to make a trick shot and sever a rope holding a cage door open/detonate an explosives charge when the detonator fails.

Nah. Only the main characters pull shots like that off and live.
If your average ranger pulls off that shot, he is going to turn around smiling to find a raptor behind him...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:32 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
I figure a pistol i useful for any lizard under a certain weight. At what point does a pistol stop being useful on alligators? 50 lbs? 100 lbs? I really don't know, but pistols will make a difference. Just not on big stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, gators and crocs are usually shot with relatively low powered rounds, but it is usually done with a shot anchored directly to the CNS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:38 pm 

Rev wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:

I have trouble believing the largest dinosaurs could rampage. Doesn't mean they couldn't, but I cannot even imagine an animal of that size moving particularly fast.

I don't think the biggest dinos would be particularly fast either, but still... 40-50 tons of bulk is a lot of weight to throw around if it's feeling particular pissed off. After all, these were creatures even the biggest predators wouldn't tangle with.

The triceratops seems like it would a tough one too. They were roughly the same size as elephants, but with a much bigger and thicker skull, and that bony plate offering some pretty damn good protection if they decided to charge. I would assume the relatively smaller brains of dinos compared to mammals would make a direct brain shot much harder. We can only assume how they behaved, but a lot of people think it would be like modern day cape buffalo, in defensive and territorial herds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Sworbeyegib wrote:
We can only assume how they behaved, but a lot of people think it would be like modern day cape buffalo, in defensive and territorial herds.

Since convergent evolution is a thing, I can see that being the case.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:45 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Sworbeyegib wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
I figure a pistol i useful for any lizard under a certain weight. At what point does a pistol stop being useful on alligators? 50 lbs? 100 lbs? I really don't know, but pistols will make a difference. Just not on big stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, gators and crocs are usually shot with relatively low powered rounds, but it is usually done with a shot anchored directly to the CNS.

They are harvested all the time up to 9 +/- feet here with a .22lr fired from a rifle to the CNS. Trappers do not want to damage the hide. I can tell you from personal experience that a .357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel and a 12 gauge with 00 buck will likewise work quite well on body hits.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:51 pm 

Have we established yet if we are using the "true to life" size scale or the "Jurassic Park" size scale. Don't forget that real raptors were much smaller than the ones on film. But the Utahraptor was even bigger.

I was such a dinogeek as a kid. My crowning achievement was when I met Robbert Bakker while he was at a local dinosaur exhibit down here. I was star struck and my parents had no idea why.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 am 

Sworbeyegib wrote:

Or maybe call for artillery. :shock:

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I've thought about this to an embarrassing degree.

Long Guns:
Barrett 25mm "Payload Rifle"(for big 'uns)
AAI-12 Automatic Shotgun with Frag-12 rounds
SCAR-H 7.62mm for smaller dinos

Pistols:
S&W .500 Alaskan revolver
Serbu Super Shorty w/ Frag-12s
Tranq pistol (dinos cost money)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:14 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Don't work for InGen and hang up on phone calls involving people being eaten by dinosaurs. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 pm 

Woods Walker wrote:
Don't work for InGen and hang up on phone calls involving people being eaten by dinosaurs. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

Are you talking from personal experience? Cuz I'd like to know where those calls were being made from......

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:14 pm 

professor challenger wrote:
Everybody gets Mosins. You can't lose sight of your bottom line when running a hypothetical theme park! :lol:

There ya go! Give everyone a can of pepper spray and keltc P3AT in 380.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:26 pm 

Sworbeyegib wrote:
It is the large herbivores that would really need the "big guns" to take down. A triceratops is much bigger, and has all that damn bone in front of it to worry about. And the large sauropods are gargantuan. Nothing that could "easily" be carried would be enough to take one down I think.

Interesting, in the first movie the herbivores did not pose a threat to the humans so I doubt if you would have to shoot one, but from the little I remember about dinosaurs, and this is REALLY old knowledge which has changed over the years, the herbivores had really tiny brains and most of their bodily functions were unconscious and self contained and worked at such a low level that it would take a long time to kill one. There bodies are like most lizards and low level animals, they keep going after the head is cut completely off.
Options I guess are do the head shot and watch it run around for 15 minutes blindly crushing everything in it's path or use a bazooka and blow it into tiny harmless bits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:58 pm 

tedbeau wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:
It is the large herbivores that would really need the "big guns" to take down. A triceratops is much bigger, and has all that damn bone in front of it to worry about. And the large sauropods are gargantuan. Nothing that could "easily" be carried would be enough to take one down I think.

Interesting, in the first movie the herbivores did not pose a threat to the humans so I doubt if you would have to shoot one, but from the little I remember about dinosaurs, and this is REALLY old knowledge which has changed over the years, the herbivores had really tiny brains and most of their bodily functions were unconscious and self contained and worked at such a low level that it would take a long time to kill one. There bodies are like most lizards and low level animals, they keep going after the head is cut completely off.
Options I guess are do the head shot and watch it run around for 15 minutes blindly crushing everything in it's path or use a bazooka and blow it into tiny harmless bits.

Obviously behavior and many biological functions can only be assumed, and will never fully be known. Heck, for awhile one well published theory stated that large dinos had a second brain in their ass. I believe that has been debunked.

A large sauropod would likely not be able to move very fast. A top speed of maybe 5mph depending on the size. However, I can't think of any reasonable way to stop one once it decides to do something.

Given their size though, most people assume that they would literally need to spend almost all day every day eating, just to take in enough calories to sustain itself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next