Quick poll: Best Home Defense Firearm Choice

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Best Home Defense Firearm Choice

Pistol of choice (post your choice!)
36%
Shotgun of choice (post your choice!)
17%
Rifle of choice (post your choice! SBR counts.)
45%
Other (post what it is!)
2%

Total votes: 58

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Quick poll: Best Home Defense Firearm Choice

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:08 am

Hi everyone,

Just a quick poll: What do you think is the best choice for a home defense firearm? Defining "home defense" as bump-in-the-night, indoor protection for yourself and (if applicable) your family.

Dooms

Re: Quick poll: Best Home Defense Firearm Choice

Post by Dooms » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 am

If you want something inexpensive, 12 or 20ga shotgun loaded with buckshot. Throw a light and sling on it and you should be good to go.

If you're willing to spend a bit more money, it's hard to go wrong with an ar-15 style carbine. It's more compact, it can be more precise, and thanks to .223's tendancy to fragement it is less likely to over penetrate the structure of the house. As an added bonus, unlike buckshot, it can penetrate soft body armor, which is inexpensive and ubiquotous enough that a premeditated home invader could easily get their hands on some.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 pm

My dream HD gun is an AR with about an 11 inch barrel and firing thinner skinned 5.56 rounds. I'd want a suppressor on it, a light, and a laser.

A pistol with a suppressor or a sub-machine gun/pistol caliber carbine with suppressor, light, and laser are high on my list too, but from what I have seen in different tests, you are less likely to shoot through to your neighbor if you use proper 5.56 rounds.

If I could have proper 5.45x39 rounds, a krink/Suchka SBR with suppressor would be preferred over the AR. But given current ammo options, I really think the AR is the best choice.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:31 pm

SBR with a short can and performance subsonic ammo. The best ain't cheap. I'm not normally a fan fo pistol-caliber carbines, but the Sig MPXc makes me randy and avoids a tax stamp, if it works. Otherwise, .300Blk is probably the ticket.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:40 pm

I keep a 12 ga. Remington 870 with a 20 inch barrel with rifle sights and screw in chokes next to my bed. It has an extended mag and a side saddle. An effective all purpose gun no doubt but kind of heavy which slows it down some.
Lately I've been shooting an old 1920s Remington model 11 I bought a few years back for $130, I cut the barrel back to 18 inch. Light and fast to get on target and easier to shoot with one hand and I like that it is semi auto, shot it a good bit and no function problems. Is a bit harder to load then the 870 but holds 5 rounds and that should be plenty.
While I think this would be the most effective gun to use actually if I had an intruder I would go with my berretta 92Fc compact 9mm, I have two large vicious dogs and I think a pistol would make it easier to deal with them in a situation like this.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:41 pm

I use a Glock 19 with a strobe-capable flashlight mounted to the lower accessory rail. It has Heine Straight Eight night sights and a tactical slide release as well.

I have a 15 round magazine primary, and a 33 round reload magazine also.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Usually keep both rifle and pistol by the bed, but tend to gravitate toward the rifle due to the fact I shoot rifles much better than handguns. Intruders possibly having armor makes me feel better with 5.56 than 9mm, too.

IMO, shotguns, pistols and rifles have a place. Whatever you're comfortable with, really.

My HD guns:

PSA 16" carbine:
PA micro
Streamlight 275 lumen weaponlight
VCAS 2 point sling
Magpul VFG
Gen 3 30rd window Pmag
75gr Prvi 75g BTHP or M193 55gr

Sig 229R E2 4" 9mm:
TLR-1 HL 630 lumen WML
15+1 Federal 115gr +P+ JHP

S&W 64-3 3" .38 special:
6 rounds 129gr +P Hydra Shok w/ 2 HKS speedloaders
Handheld 150 lumen light

Mossberg 500 super bantam 20" 20ga. (Girlfriends gun):
5+1 Remington #3 buck
5 slugs in side saddle

The specs probably weren't necessary but who doesn't like talking about their guns :awesome:

I'd feel comfortable using any of them defensively.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:11 pm

I roll with a Mini-14 with a 20rounder of PDX.

Reason for this over using my AR-15? I take Ayoob's warnings about "be aware of what it would look like to a Jury" to heart.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:53 pm

The answer I give people when they ask me this at work is; What do you have experience with and what will you take to the range to practice with? The answer to; What is the best? is subjective and will be different for different people. Personally, I go with the G19 and AR-15. The G19 because it is something I can always have with me and the AR because I can get a round into the A zone in less than a second at 7 yards and follow it up with something like 6 rounds per second after that until my trigger finger starts to fatigue. But hey, if someone wants to go with a chrome 1911 and a shotgun because that is what they enjoy taking to the range, more power to them. At least they are shooting their guns. Go with what can be made suitable and you will practice with.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:30 pm

I would say a carbine would be the best, especially when looking at all the advantages on paper and such.

However, it should come down to personal level of training and ability with the platform. I keep both a rifle and a handgun in the bedroom for home defense. Yet my pistol is still my more comfortable "go to", on the grounds that I have had much more experience shooting handguns in both legitimate training courses and at IPSC like events.

My rifle training have more or less been limited to casual shooting, fun shoots, and having a few friends with legitimate military experience and training showing me the ropes. Once I feel like I've reached what I feel is a certain "level", I will officially make the transition.

Legitimate carbine course are rarely offered on island, you usually need to get a private class or group together and pay top dollar. Even then, the main training group on island recently lost their private shooting location, and are more or less only able to offer handgun and shotgun courses until they square away a new location.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

RapidM4
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
George A. Romero zombie films

Post by RapidM4 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:Defining "home defense" as bump-in-the-night, indoor protection
I voted shotgun for the above reason. Close quarters, low light, indoors etc.

A 12G pump action by Mossberg or Remington.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:I roll with a Mini-14 with a 20rounder of PDX.

Reason for this over using my AR-15? I take Ayoob's warnings about "be aware of what it would look like to a Jury" to heart.
That has to be the best (and possibly only) reason to own a mini-14 :lol: Wouldn't miss it while it sat in the evidence locker, either...
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:57 pm

I also like dat Garand Action :D

It'll never be as good as my AR-15, but it still shoots better then I ever will.

WutsFrequencyKeneth

Post by WutsFrequencyKeneth » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:02 pm

300blk AR15 8" barrel SBR w/ short 30 cal can and 200gr+ hollow point ammo.

edit:

w/ red dot, adv 2-point sling, and light.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:45 pm

A glock19 with warren sights, a carry stipple job, TLR1, lots of time in my waist band, lots of rounds down the tube, and a handfull of top 5 over all local idpa scores.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:01 pm

For what it's worth:

Chris Costa has gone on record as saying he prefers a silenced pistol.

James Yeager seems to prefer a pump shotgun for HD.

Just food for thought and some suggestions for further reading/YT watching.

Edit:

Massad Ayoob seems to prefer a pistol.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob54.html

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:56 am

My primary home defense firearm is the pistol I train with the most. A Sig P226 with night sights and a TLR-1s light, loaded with quality hollow points.

My goals are to minimize over penetration and to maintain an effective way to provide light so I can see my target, what is in front of it, and what is behind it.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:32 am

woodsghost wrote:For what it's worth:

Chris Costa has gone on record as saying he prefers a silenced pistol.

James Yeager seems to prefer a pump shotgun for HD.

Just food for thought and some suggestions for further reading/YT watching.

Edit:

Massad Ayoob seems to prefer a pistol.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob54.html
No links to the Costa or Yeager stuff. I read Massad Ayoob's article. He was saying that "if you could only have one gun" it should be a pistol. That makes sense because you can have the pistol on you at all times while you are on your property. A weapon on your person beats one in the safe. I also think he trains a lot more with pistols than anything else. I read his blog regularly and mostly he writes about pistol competitions he has been in. Only rarely do I see him write about a three gun match. Also it should be mentioned that he is an old school gun writer. He has worked and continues to work for magazines that exist to advertise for firearms companies. He has kept out of the blatant hawking himself mostly, to his credit, the only firearms reviews I have read of his have been on guns he has owned for awhile in some form or another and shot some. Mostly handguns. Still, I have never read a negative review he has written on a product that is being produced by a company that advertises with the magazines he writes for. Also, his knowledge seems to be outdated at times. I am more interested in him for his writings on recent court cases and Ayoob Files content than firearms info.

ETA Not trying to be confrontational, just adding some perspective. Might have gone a little off topic. Sorry about that.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:56 am

My internet connection will not support videos at the moment, so I can't double check this, but I believe this is the Chris Costa video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtxxvHF_pTY

This should be the text of the interview:

http://www.rem870.com/2012/04/27/full-i ... ris-costa/

And a little quote:

"If I wake up in the middle of the night, half naked, needing to defend my family and my home, I can shoot and employ my handgun one-handed while I grab my children and maneuver around my house extremely quickly, all the while knowing that I have 17 rounds at my disposal. If you have to grab one of your kids because they’ve popped out in between you and a threat, then you’re stuck trying to fire a 12 gauge one-handed; it can be done (I do it all the time in my demonstrations), but not without a lot of practice, and it’s certainly not ideal."

"So to sum it up, if I clear my house during the night with a handgun, I can shoot suppressed, I can white light, I can work one-handed if I need to grab one of my kids, and if push came to shove I could pistol-punch an intruder with the muzzle of my gun. I can’t do any of that with a shotgun."

And the Yeager vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8

I don't remember Yeager saying "everyone should use a shotgun for HD." I seem to remember him saying "This is what I have set up in my house."

Though as I think about it, I remember he has talked about his little micro rig with 2 mags, a blow out kit, and smoke grenades for his SBR in an HD role. Unless that was more of a "homestead defense" kinda role he was talking about. So I"ll be honest. Since I can't watch the videos at the moment, I could be mis-remembering things. But the vids are posted so y'all can check me. Or maybe he used to run a shotgun and now runs a SBR. I"d maybe have to check the dates the videos were posted.

Also, I really don't see it as being "confrontational" to ask for sources :) We should all be willing to supply them upon request.

nathat

Post by nathat » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:18 am

I voted pistol because if alone, I need to be able to grab my child and still fire if needed. If my wife is involved as well I will have my rifle.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:16 pm

woodsghost wrote:My internet connection will not support videos at the moment, so I can't double check this, but I believe this is the Chris Costa video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtxxvHF_pTY

This should be the text of the interview:

http://www.rem870.com/2012/04/27/full-i ... ris-costa/

And a little quote:

"If I wake up in the middle of the night, half naked, needing to defend my family and my home, I can shoot and employ my handgun one-handed while I grab my children and maneuver around my house extremely quickly, all the while knowing that I have 17 rounds at my disposal. If you have to grab one of your kids because they’ve popped out in between you and a threat, then you’re stuck trying to fire a 12 gauge one-handed; it can be done (I do it all the time in my demonstrations), but not without a lot of practice, and it’s certainly not ideal."

"So to sum it up, if I clear my house during the night with a handgun, I can shoot suppressed, I can white light, I can work one-handed if I need to grab one of my kids, and if push came to shove I could pistol-punch an intruder with the muzzle of my gun. I can’t do any of that with a shotgun."

And the Yeager vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8

I don't remember Yeager saying "everyone should use a shotgun for HD." I seem to remember him saying "This is what I have set up in my house."

Though as I think about it, I remember he has talked about his little micro rig with 2 mags, a blow out kit, and smoke grenades for his SBR in an HD role. Unless that was more of a "homestead defense" kinda role he was talking about. So I"ll be honest. Since I can't watch the videos at the moment, I could be mis-remembering things. But the vids are posted so y'all can check me. Or maybe he used to run a shotgun and now runs a SBR. I"d maybe have to check the dates the videos were posted.

Also, I really don't see it as being "confrontational" to ask for sources :) We should all be willing to supply them upon request.
You were right. Yeager stated that a 12 gauge was his beau ideal for home defense. That was in 2012. I dunno if he has changed his mind since then. I don't follow him much.

I didn't figure you would be offended or anything, it is just text doesn't convey tone. I try to remember to put some smilies or something in every post to let people know I am not jumping their shit. :lol:

I never thought about kids in the house. I don't have any. I wonder if some sort of executive protection class would be good for that type of situation.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

I've never met him, but from what I can tell, James Yeager is a dick with an overinflated sense of his own importance. Some of the videos I've seen make me question his credibility and his judgment, especially in terms of safety. Wanting to train people is good, but he seems to lose sight of the fact that it is not about him or his ego. There are plenty of other instructors who do better at focusing on what they should focus on--the training.

I chose carbine because in a perfect world that would be the best choice. (Personally, I'd go with a Colt 6920, with a sling, light and Eotech). However, because it isn't a perfect world I'm far more likely to go with a Glock 19 for many reasons, not all of them tactical. Basically, a pistol is easier to keep handy, it is easier to have a free hand if you need it, I have more trigger time with pistols, my training, especially for indoors, lends itself more to pistols and so forth.

Whether someone chooses a rifle, shotgun or pistol, though, familiarity with the weapon and training are probably far more important than the weapon itself.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:36 pm

I will also bring up that my pistol is the gun I'm most likely to have on me or near in the event that I'm not tucked away in bed asleep. I'll tend to have it on my hip if I am at home. If I'm not wearing pants at the time, it's usually chilling next to be in it's holster on the little end table next to my couch.

Not every intrusion will happen when I'm in my bedroom with access to whatever I want. If it's late one night, and I'm watching tv or on the internet in my living room, I may all of a sudden have someone trying to kick in my door. My front door is between my living room and bedroom, where I keep my guns. Those extra few seconds to react and cross my apartment are ones I may not have. Even worse if the person breaks in and is now separating me from my bedroom.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

daduck

Post by daduck » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Those who lose all reason in crisis probably should let someone else protect them......that said, whatever you can use most effectively without becoming a safety problem.A small caliber, high capacity hand gun that you a very proficient with. Go to the kids rooms first and ensure they are safe and not the " bump in the night ". Then proceed carefully. Intruder standing by window might cause your shot to go into the neighborhood. Intruder in front of fireplace is first opportunity.As in all things, good logic prevails.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”