Is the Ruger Mini 30 "Tactical" MONKEY WRENCH....

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Elrikk

Is the Ruger Mini 30 "Tactical" MONKEY WRENCH....

Post by Elrikk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Is the Ruger Mini 30 "Tactical" the perfect rifle for my situation?

Some bullet points. (no pun)

- This will be an all around shtf rifle.
- This will be my second rifle, I have an M1A scout as my main gun.
- This will mostly be for my wife, who is petite.
- I live in the great state of New Jersey.  (Only for the beach...really)
- I wanted something that didn't scream "tacticool" so as not to get anyone's panties in       a bunch.
- I want a caliber that was mainstream and cheaper than .308
- I was originally thinking of a Mossberg MMR in 5.56, but I wanted a caliber with a little more "punch".  (Not trying to start a caliber war with this post)
I'd like to stay under $1000, but would spend more if the reasons were valid.
- I was also considering the upcoming Ares SCR, but that is months away and who knows what kinks will have to be worked out on a brand new product.

Any feedback will be apreciated!  (And will help to sooth my OCD)
Last edited by Elrikk on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manowar1313

Re: Is the Ruger Mini 30 "Tactical" the perfect rifle for me

Post by manowar1313 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 pm

Have you thought about moving? It might be a better choice then the Ruger min 14's.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:45 pm

Sounds like a good idea. It has some limitations as far a magazine availability. But you can currently find them easily enough.

I have a buddy that owns one, I like it.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Elrikk

Post by Elrikk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:47 pm

manowar1313 wrote:Have you thought about moving? It might be a better choice then the Ruger min 14's.
Why do you say that?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Elrikk wrote: - I wanted something that didn't scream "tacticool"....
This is about the only logical reason to get a mini, every other factor (cost, reliability, accuracy, aftermarket parts, magazines) tends to point to other guns. It's not really a "bad" gun, there are just better guns for less money. An unconverted saiga comes to mind.
Elrikk wrote: - I want a caliber that was mainstream and cheaper than .308
are you pretty set on 7.62x39? there are plenty of women that can shoot AKs just fine but most I've met would take a 5.56 if given the choice. If you have a good reason for 7.62 (lots of buddies that stock it? like the price? foresee shooting through barriers?) I vote saiga. (those are NJ legal right? I only glanced at your long list of restrictions). The mini-30 magazines are enough to be a deal breaker in and of themselves. Otherwise I usually recommend 5.56 for the lady folks (and most man-folks as well for that matter).
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Elrikk

Post by Elrikk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Barrier penetration is one factor that can never be foreseen...soo that tipped me over to x39

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Apathy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 am

every other factor (cost, reliability, accuracy, aftermarket parts, magazines) tends to point to other guns
Cost is quite silly, reliability is acceptable in my experience, I have hit a jack rabbit at 100 yards and a coyote at 250ish with one, it truly has limited options for aftermarket parts, magazines are ok.

I am under the assumption that the OP really wants the feature of not being tactical. The rifle in question delivers in that aspect.

You should be sure to get a newer model

Edit: really an SKS does just about everything the mini 30 does. At a much lower price, but only if you leave it in factory condition.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:41 pm

My main complaints about the mini platform as a whole are mostly centered on cost and availability. They cost way to much for what they are. For the same price, you can get a decent AR/AK/Saiga. And in the case of the latter two, you can get a bunch of accessories to go with it on the same budget. And finding parts and/or magazines to go with it can be a challenge. They sell out at the first hint of a panic. Also, with the magazines, you have to normally use Ruger-made ones if you want reliability. Many of the after market ones are crap, and have serious feeding issues. They always have. And Ruger magazines are EXPENSIVE. In the $30-35 range on sale.

I can see why you are looking at one, based on your needs. But perhaps the Saiga might be a better option. It looks a little scarier, but it will give you the same accuracy with better reliability for significantly less cash. And with some minor tinkering (e.g. a bullet guide) you can use AK magazines. You might also consider looking at some of the more "sporting" style semi-autos that are out there. I believe that there are several companies that make hunting style rifles that will do the exact same thing you are looking for. Or go look at a used SKS. No, it doesn't take magazines. But it is utterly reliable, and uses the 7.62x39 round you want.

-Mb

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49 pm

This will mostly be for my wife, who is petite.
Has your wife been able to fire the Mini 30 and tell you what she thinks of the weight and recoil, compared to an AR or other lighter-weight, lighter recoiling firearm?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:35 pm

No such thing as a perfect rifle. Ever.

That said, you already have an excellent rifle in the M1A. Also, the Mini-30 seems like a match for everything you listed here, so I say go for it. As stated above, let your wife handle the weapon first.

If you are not aware, there is a very vocal element here that is abjectly opposed to any product made by an entire slew of companies. Its all political, and has to do with events in our forum history. Don't let that distract you from a gun that you like.

Rugers Mini-x series of rifles does have its drawbacks and vulnerabilities, but on the whole they are serviceable rifles. If the Mini-30 fills your requirements, and it's available to you, then my advice is to get it.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:41 pm

I had one for a while. It was an extremely picky eater and wouldn't fire Wolf or Bear ammo. These brands suffered misfeeds and light primer strikes.

Non Ruger mags very often don't work even if made from good manufacturers.

A shooting buddy has one and finds his acceptable. He also learned to use American ammo and factory mags.

I really wanted that rifle to work out because it made a good addition to my Garand, mini-14, M1A family.
Boldly going nowhere

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Would you consider a Veper? Their 7.62x54r rifle fire a powerful round without to bad of a kick (imo) and the ammo is so cheap you can stack it very very very deep.

Rifle is cheaper than the mini 30 and mags are about the same or cheaper too.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:50 pm

mr.trooper wrote: If you are not aware, there is a very vocal element here that is abjectly opposed to any product made by an entire slew of companies. Its all political, and has to do with events in our forum history. Don't let that distract you from a gun that you like.
I don't have anything against ruger and would recommend (a few of) their guns, but anything with "mini" in the name is not on that list. If they were half the price and took common magazines I'd have nothing against them but unless you have some POWERFUL intangible draw to them (can't blame you for that, we all have some impractical guns on our want list) they just don't make sense to buy. From everything I've seen $500 worth of AR or AK/Saiga gets you more gun then $1000 worth of mini.

and I must be too new here to know what the forum history that blacklisted Ruger is, hadn't heard that before.
mr.trooper wrote: Rugers Mini-x series of rifles does have its drawbacks and vulnerabilities, but on the whole they are serviceable rifles.
I would agree with this statement, but are there not MORE serviceable rifles with FEWER drawbacks for LESS money?

Das Sheep wrote:Would you consider a Veper? Their 7.62x54r rifle fire a powerful round without to bad of a kick (imo) and the ammo is so cheap you can stack it very very very deep.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a "petite" woman. If he was going to get a second battle rifle I would think it would make more sense to stick with .308 for logistics and superior ballistics.

I should ask: Is the OP looking for a static defensive gun (defend the castle) or a foot-mobile bug-out/Red Dawn gun?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:33 pm

manowar1313 wrote:Have you thought about moving? It might be a better choice then the Ruger min 14's.
I thought he was asking about a mini-30?

Given your particular circumstances it is a decent choice. I am not sure of all the guns available in NJ that fill the bill though.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Elrikk

Post by Elrikk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:37 pm

It seems like the Mini 30 is the best choice for my limitations of living in New Jerzy...

Thanks for everyone's good alternatives, but I think it comes down to the fact that not many people have objections to the new model Mini 30 Tactical, and it doesn't have the appearance of an assault rifle. I can just picture in a time of crisis a NJ LEO saying "We'll just confiscate your gun until we figure out if that's a muzzle brake or a flash hider, you can have it back in 6-8 months"

Sigh.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Thought I heard my ears ringing.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... =16&t=8419

Yes, I was one of the primary factions in that flame fest from 2005. It MIGHT have inspired Ruger to upgrade the rifle design and manufacture. It may also have gotten the company to distribute more hicap magazines to improve availability. At the time factory hicaps were LEO only, even though the national ban had sunsetted and many states did not have their own bans.

The 581 and later series is what you're looking for. That heavy barrel should resolve the accuracy issues earlier models may have suffered from.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products07.html

End the muzzle brake/flash hider debate and just get a muzzle brake.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/index.php

Vast trove of knowledge on the Mini design there. There's a few threads and YT links to resolve any issues with steel case ammo.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Elrikk wrote:It seems like the Mini 30 is the best choice for my limitations of living in New Jerzy...
I'll ask again, has the wife fired the gun? Is she comfortable with the ergos and recoil? If she hasn't, and she's not, buying the Mini seems like a recipe for disaster. I get the appeal of going with a thirty cal, but being able to effectively put rounds on target beats ability to go through slightly thicker things. The barrier penetration for decent non-FMJ 7.62x39 ammo isn't extraordinarily better than the barrier penetration capability of good 5.56 ammo.

Elrikk

Post by Elrikk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Elrikk wrote:It seems like the Mini 30 is the best choice for my limitations of living in New Jerzy...
I'll ask again, has the wife fired the gun? Is she comfortable with the ergos and recoil? If she hasn't, and she's not, buying the Mini seems like a recipe for disaster. I get the appeal of going with a thirty cal, but being able to effectively put rounds on target beats ability to go through slightly thicker things. The barrier penetration for decent non-FMJ 7.62x39 ammo isn't extraordinarily better than the barrier penetration capability of good 5.56 ammo.
She has fired an older "Mini 30" years ago and she can handle the recoil of my "Scout" it's the weight that she has trouble with.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 pm

Elrikk wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
She has fired an older "Mini 30" years ago and she can handle the recoil of my "Scout" it's the weight that she has trouble with.
If optics are in the future and cost is a consideration, I'd absolutely look away from the Minis. I'm not a strict Ruger hater, as I tend to recommend their rimfires to people, but I'm routinely disappointed by both the price and performance of the Mini.

Unfortunately, both Minis and AKs/Saigas are a tad front-heavy. That's going to increase the perceived weight of the gun. ARs tend to balance rearward. The SCR, I imagine, will balance more forward, although the base/MOE model is listed a half-pound lighter than a Mini, and is promised to come in 7.62x39 and 5.56 from the factory. I've never known Russian-caliber AR rifles to be terribly reliable to begin with, but if Ares is sending them out of the factory with the heavier springs, and you can find decent mags [15rd, no?] then you may avoid the feeding issues they usually have.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:51 am

Doc, have YOU fired an SCR yet? At least the Mini has been out awhile, so some off the teething problems are resolved.

I'm not prepared to recommend a firearm sight unseen over something I've at least shot over several years.

BTW, if you find no problems with steel case ammo, I'd still clean and oil the gun after shooting just for the fact the Tactical is a blued gun with no special rust protection. Unless you find a SS 30.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:28 am

jor-el wrote:Doc, have YOU fired an SCR yet? At least the Mini has been out awhile, so some off the teething problems are resolved.

I'm not prepared to recommend a firearm sight unseen over something I've at least shot over several years.

BTW, if you find no problems with steel case ammo, I'd still clean and oil the gun after shooting just for the fact the Tactical is a blued gun with no special rust protection. Unless you find a SS 30.
I have not. Didn't explicitly recommend it either, just pointed out the lower weight and what appears to be a more centered point of balance might better appeal to the primary shooter, since OP mentioned the SCR already. The SCR could flop [highly unlikely, Ares isn't known for shoddy QC, improperly treated wear surfaces, subpar manufacturing methods, or copying other manufacturer's handguns and declaring it innovative] and the issues with the Mini would still exist. An NJ-compliant AR would likely be a better choice for OP's wife, though likely not the Mossberg that was originally mentioned. Or if he's stuck on thirty-cal, I just saw a converted NJ-compliant Saiga on NJ armslist for $600.

In other words, there are a lot of options without buying a Mini, and to bluntly answer OP's question if his wife has trouble with the Mini's weight, it's not the perfect rifle.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:09 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Care to cite the test of which non-FMJ 7.62x39 versus what barrier blind 5.56 load?

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Apathy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Das Sheep wrote:Would you consider a Veper? Their 7.62x54r rifle fire a powerful round without to bad of a kick (imo) and the ammo is so cheap you can stack it very very very deep.

Where did you find a Viper 7.62x54 for less than a mini 30? Cause I want that!

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Apathy wrote:

Where did you find a Viper 7.62x54 for less than a mini 30? Cause I want that!
I would move on any Saiga or Vepr RFN; they may no longer be an option soon.

http://modernrifleman.net/2014/07/16/co ... ions-list/

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”