The 3rd Gun

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

clarence

Re:

Post by clarence » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:00 pm

2now wrote:How about a high capacity carbine in the same caliber has your hand gun, and the best long range rifle you can carry, something with lots of punch and accuracy.

The other obvious choice for a third gun is one of my favorite bug out guns, the T/C contender or T/C encore.
This.

I'm looking for something to complement my Beretta CX4 SBR (9mm)/Aimpoint H1 (4 MOA)/single-point sling and PX4 SC (9mm) combo.

I'd like something for Appleseed and Practical Rifle classes, plinking, hog hunting (possibly), and zombies.

Thinking maybe a Scout-like Tikka T3 Lite (.223)/Aimpoint 9000L (2 MOA)/Ching sling?

While the .243 has more punch (and Cooper-approved), I expect it'd bother my shoulder (multiple surgeries). If OK with Managed Recoil ammo, would be expensive to shoot hundreds of rounds at classes.

I'd add a Limbsaver, bob the barrel down to 16-19" (recommendations?), add a third sling point, and possibly mount the Aimpoint forward on a rail.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I do also like the idea of the T/C Contender in .223.

Anyone think it the better choice? In the unlikely event of bugging out on foot, it might actually come along.

Thanks.
It's not looting if you leave a note.

MacAttack

Re: The 3rd Gun

Post by MacAttack » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:18 pm

I was never one to think a carbine was ever meant to be anything in a pistol caliber.

A carbine was either a chopped down full power rifle as in cavalry carbines or in an intermediate caliber like 7.62x39 or 5.56n.

If its in a pistol caliber and not a l pistil, then its a supposed to be submachine gun. And if its not full auto then whats the use?

And please, using the same mag as your pistol? Why? If your going to get a whole long arm just get one that takes huge mags and get the most out of it. Anything less than 30rounds is just playing.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 pm

This necro is damn near a decade old.

I think a 3rd long gun is too much weight. A .22 Ruger pistol would be my choice after my AR and Sig.
Last edited by AS556 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Couldn't wait 2 more years, Clarence? The Chiappa Lil Badger looks interesting, light and compact. Want one in .223 ;)

For that matter, could carry a 2nd .AR upper in whatever caliber/ barrel/optics option you desire to fill whatever niche you find lacking.
Last edited by eeb on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 am

Actually I didn't necro it.

But if someone else finds its interesting enough to comment on why not restart the thread?

And normally its new guys that necro threads. They start searching for their intrests and guess what?

Nothing wrong with it. Just have to watch to see if any specific information is out of date.

Now go on and bash the new guy.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:37 am

eeb wrote:Couldn't wait 2 more years, Mac? The Chiappa Lil Badger looks interesting, light and compact. Want one in .223 ;)

For that matter, could carry a 2nd .AR upper in whatever caliber/ barrel/optics option you desire to fill whatever niche you find lacking.
I was sort of into the .22lr Badger until I seen the weight and size. A Marlin Papoose is only 4oz heavier and a Ruger 10/22 takedown is 1.67lb heavier. Now a Badger in .223 and .22mag...that would be interesting.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2599

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... /70PSS.asp

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:11 pm

I didn't say you necro'd it, nor am I bashing anyone. Clarence did, who happens to be new. Just an observation that it's a (very) old thread. Nothing wrong with utilizing old ones instead of starting a new one.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:24 pm

My bad, editted post to reflect correct info. Thought Clarence's post was from the original run of the thread, the date&time of post doesn't really catch my attention, way over there on the right hand side of the screen. Just would have liked to see a decade-old necro, rather than merely eight years old. I don't consider "Necro" an insult, this is a Zombie-centric website after all. More of a commendation for digging deep and finding knowledge to expand upon, rather than starting a new clone thread.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Sometimes you can never win. Necro an old thread, and some people wonder why you did it. Start a new thread and some people will post a bunch of old threads saying that it's already been talked about.

Anyways, I'll throw a different option in the mix.

A quality pellet rifle, suitable for small game.

I do not live in a state that allows for a suppressor. It is also very densely populated, and I would make sense to have something suitable for small game that can be shot discreetly even in urban/suburban areas. YMMV.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote: A quality pellet rifle, suitable for small game.

I do not live in a state that allows for a suppressor. It is also very densely populated, and I would make sense to have something suitable for small game that can be shot discreetly even in urban/suburban areas. YMMV.
^^This. Or a little .22 rifle like the Keystone Crickett or Savage Rascal. They weigh 2.5 pounds and cost like $100. With 500 rounds of ammo, that's a good little grocery getter!

If you want "battle" qualified, "long-range/sniping" certified, and "big game" proven, why not get a .308 or 7mm-08 semi auto like on an AR platform. The .308 will get you into an AR, M1A, FAL, PTR, SCAR, and a bunch of other capital letter names. The 7mm-08 you're kinda stuck with DPMS/Remington ARs. If you're a good shot, any .223/5.56 will be deadly at long range.

Then you have your handy-dandy handgun in semi or revolver flavor!!

I love shotguns, but having a lot of shells takes up a lot of room for hiking/backpacking if you need a big supply

P.S. I love Necro threads, the same questions keep getting asked and are relevant so let's keep 'em going
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 pm

I'm going to go a little different route here:

5.56 M4gery
Glock 19
Glock 26

For my third I like the small, easily concealed, backup pistol option. I considered the other popular options but decided against them. Shotguns and their ammo are just too darn heavy to lug around. A .22 might be nice, but traps and snairs are likely better at bagging small game anyway since they're at work 24/7.

Now if I was back out west, I would really have to consider a long range hard hitting rifle. The animals are bigger and the potential for a fairly long distance shot is quite high. Here in the east though, the chance of a long distance shot is low. Our population density is typically a lot higher though, so interactions with potentially unsaviory humans is much more likely.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:18 am

Honestly, a strong contender for a survival situation in my state (if I decided to bug out to the coast rather than mountains) would be a spear gun and some minimal diving gear. Just for the fact that we have nothing was small ground game, and the only small game in any sort of abundance are small doves. Yes we have hogs, but that's about it for hunting.

Not to mention any ethical or legal ramifications concerning hunting regulations. But saltwater fishing and spearfishing is a complete go ahead any time of year.

I've only spearfished a bit here and there over the years, but I have some friends who are pretty hardcore about it and always manage to fill their coolers. Most of my fishing nowadays usually means dropping a couple lines in and drinking beer... Of course I wouldn't want to head to the coast if I could help it, as I'm sure it will be flooded with people thinking the same thing.

That being said, my firearm plan has never revolved around hunting.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:04 am

Dooms wrote:I'm going to go a little different route here:

5.56 M4gery
Glock 19
Glock 26

For my third I like the small, easily concealed, backup pistol option. I considered the other popular options but decided against them. Shotguns and their ammo are just too darn heavy to lug around. A .22 might be nice, but traps and snairs are likely better at bagging small game anyway since they're at work 24/7.

Now if I was back out west, I would really have to consider a long range hard hitting rifle. The animals are bigger and the potential for a fairly long distance shot is quite high. Here in the east though, the chance of a long distance shot is low. Our population density is typically a lot higher though, so interactions with potentially unsaviory humans is much more likely.
I agree with the Glock 19 and Glock 26 combo (It's what I own), and 3rd gun for me would be a Ruger Gunsite Scout with a Leopold Scout Scope. It's a .308 and can reach out to 200 yards pretty easily -- lightweight, too, which was part of it's design. The scope is of the long eye relief variety, which lends itself to dealing with up-close-and-personal problems quickly... and if the scope breaks, it has built in iron sights.

It's .308 so can hit hard even at range, and is capable of bringing down larger game.
I know weight is a consideration, especially if on foot. I'm looking at a scenerio where you are far enough in the wilds, that hunting big game is an option. Roving bands of hostiles are also a possiblity and a perment camp isn't feasible.
Now... if I had to hunt small game to survive... and could *only* have 3 guns, I'd drop the Glock 26 and bring along my Marlin .22 lr. If I could have 2 pistols and 2 long rifles, I'd bring all four.

-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

clarence

Post by clarence » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:06 pm

eeb wrote:Couldn't wait 2 more years, Clarence?
Couldn't take the risk, eeb. I might need the 3rd gun before then.

I'll likely go with the Tikka T3, and probably in .223, but no one likes the T/C Contender?
It's not looting if you leave a note.

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 pm

I guess the T/C would be a somewhat similar concept to a 223 lil badger, but kind of on the higher end of the price scale, whereas, at least in 22lr, the lil badger is more budget oriented.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:22 pm

.308 AR type rifle
16" barrel, 2 moa aimpoint pro on a larue cantilever, 3X magnifier on a larue swing arm - this is one of the rifles I currently own and train with, and it's freaking awesome. Yes, the ammo size/weight can be an issue, but you can kill three birds with one stone on this one. You get a carbine size rifle that fills the role of fighting rifle (especially with the new 25rd pmags (+5 larue mag extension for 30rds of .308 goodness)), large game rifle, and long range rifle (if you get a quick detach scope mount). Like I said, weight can be an issue, but with the multi-duty aspect I think it makes up for that shortcoming.

G-17
Good for small game, I can make fairly accurate shots at 75 yards with a rest. Good enough for small game.

If I was to take a third firearm, it would likely be a ruger 10-22 in breakdown most likely.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 am

well since the thread is necroed, and there are probably about 10 other similar threads, I add my thoughts to this one;

I do respect the idea of a shotgun for hunting as it gives you options on ammo selection and what game to hunt, anything from sparrows to hogs, bears, whatever. Pretty useful in a close proximity zombie attack too.
Of course as other have said, they are heavy, ammo is heavy too. Someone else made a good point too that the shotgun for birds makes since if you are going to be wing shooting, but if your starving, shoot them on the ground before they fly.
Also if your only feeding in the paw with no food storage most of a deer is going to go to waste before you can eat it, your not going to lug an additional 20 pounds of meat around when zombies are chasing you.

For these reasons I would go with my ruger 10-22 takedown as my third gun, for hunting purposes. It's not ideal as a defense gun, but it is better than a rock or a dull stick.

Six or eight years ago another advantage of the 22 would have been that there was a lot of ammo for it if you started to use up your supply, now a days there might be ammo around, but it's in somebody's basement bunker. (Wish I knew who was buying up all the stuff around here!) This still applies to the shotgun though. 12 gauge will most likely be one of the more common rounds you can barter for in a paw.

Morgo

Post by Morgo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 am

If it had to be 2 rifles out the 3 firearms I'd grab a .308 and a .22

I'd probably prefer 2 handguns, for size and weight reasons, one being a quiet .22 and the other a 9mm.

Krinkplinker

Post by Krinkplinker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:33 am

Pistol, Rifle, and a breakdown 410 or something like that.

Why? because if you guys are talking about being on the move, weight really, really becomes a factor. And carrying a rifle, pistol, and 12 gauge with enough ammo to support all three is going to take more strength than I think most ppl consider. A breakdown 410 should be enough for any hunting or utility purposes that your pistol and rifle don't cover.

If you aren't going to be on the move and only working outside of a safe area that serves as home base, then weight wouldnt be as much of an issue.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm not sure I follow the intent of a "third" gun. I guess it depends on what the other two guns are?
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:51 pm

LJ126 wrote:I'm not sure I follow the intent of a "third" gun. I guess it depends on what the other two guns are?
I'm generalizing, but for most people ZSers it'll be:
#1 30 round rifle
#2 Full size pistol
#3 : ???

Basically, if you carry a third gun, what would give you the most utility. It seems the general consensus is either a shotgun or a .22 rifle/pistol. All solid choices IMO, and probably what I'd choose. Hopefully I never actually have to pick one as a third and just get to exercise my brain thinking about it. (I'd take the .22 pistol :D )
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:07 pm

If I were carrying - on my person - an AK/AR/.308 rifle, and a duty-sized handgun, I'd probably want something small. Maybe (as crazy as this sounds) one of the handful of .45LC/.410 revolvers and a holster for it. Thinking food-getter (squirrel, bird, dog, frog) and maybe backup defensive item in a super diminutive package.

***Maybe one of the breakdown .22 rifles. I would have a hard time justifying even a compact shotgun, considering weight.

Granted, I'm not envisioning myself taking off by myself, especially not on foot. That's just not going to happen. Someone I'd be working with would inevitably be carrying a shotgun.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:35 am

I also say a second pistol... In my case a supressed .22 in addition to either my G21 or a 1911; probably the Glock for the extra magazine capacity.

I figure I can take pretty much any game or defend myself with a decent carbine and I'd be happy with any of the selections currently in my safe. Primary sidearm for...well, for whatever...and the suppressed .22 for whatever when I need it to be quieter or for when a .45 ACP or rifle is just too much.

Based on the parameters most are espousing though I guess I'd have a shotty...preferably an SBS. Probably a 12 gauge with just a pistol grip, but the more I shoot 'em the more I'm appreciating the utility and lighter weight of a little .410 scatter gun.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:03 am

For this scenario I think better remain with two firearms:
- an assault rifle that use the caliber 5.56×45mm or 7.62×51mm NATO+riflescope and night-vision, plus some spare parts for the component more smaller of the firearm
- an hand gun that use the caliber 9mm (pistol or revolver) with a total for 40 rounds
Give precedence on the ammo for the rifle.
Reasons:
- the weight is an huge factor
- hand gun, given their short range, would be a last resort for protection (when the rifle is out of ammo) and almost useless for game

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”