12 ways to break firearm rules you might not have thought of

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Armor76

Re: 12 ways to break firearm rules you might not have though

Post by Armor76 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:07 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
Armor76 wrote:I saw this article on FB and it got me thinking. I think I handle firearms responsibly but I need to pay attention and see if I do some of these things.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tune-u ... -handling/

Thought you folks might appreciate the read.
The Gut Racker

This error most commonly occurs when the shooter rotates the pistol in their hand to be able to more easily lock the slide back. One solution to this problem is to insert an empty magazine and pull the slide back to engage the slide lock, instead of putting the gun in this clearly unsafe position.
Agreed, though not every semi-auto has a hold-open feature like that.
The Spinner

This error typically occurs when the gun is carried in a rectangular case that gives no indication as to which direction the gun is pointed inside the case. The simple fix for this is to mark one end of the case as the muzzle end, and be consistent about always placing the gun in the case facing that direction.
As a general rule, you shouldn't have your guns loaded and cased if you are headed to the range. They make chamber inserts that will not only keep the weapon out of battery, but also have handy-dandy flags on them to indicate they are safe. EDIT: Raptor beat me to it.
The Cowboy

This practice is unsafe at all ranges except those which are fully baffled to block extremely high shots, and even in that situation, it’s clearly a case of pointing a gun in a direction that is not the intended target.
I can agree with the first part of this, but the second part is just ridiculous. During a draw, the only time that pistol is pointed at something you want to shoot is when you bring it up on target. 99% of the time a gun is going to be pointed at something you don't want to shoot. That's why we are taught to keep our guns pointed in a safe direction.
The Dangle

This is also known as the “my gun is heavy” position and occurs when the person holding the gun gets mentally or physically fatigued, and simply lets the gun drop. Would you be willing to fire a loaded gun from that position? If not, then it’s unsafe. How to avoid this? Holster the gun or set it down on a downrange table or bench.
Agreed.
The Cheapskate

Last year, a shooter in Houston was shot in the leg and suffered serious injury when a range customer took an uncased rifle out of his vehicle. The trigger of the rifle snagged on something in the vehicle, causing the loaded, off-safe rifle to fire. How to avoid this? Carry your guns in cases, bags, boxes, holsters—something that covers the trigger guard of the gun.
How to avoid this? How about NOT CARRYING A LOADED, OFF-SAFE RIFLE AROUND IN YOUR VEHICLE!!!!!!!! I do agree that you should do something to cover that trigger, though. If you don't have a case, just use the trigger lock that should have came with your weapon.
The Side Racker

This is why the dividers between stalls at indoor ranges are bulletproof. As I heard one range user say to a side racker, “If it’s okay for you to point your loaded gun at me, that means it’s okay for me to point my loaded gun at you, right?” If you physically cannot rack the slide without using this technique, the solution is simple: turn your lower body 90 degrees so that your muzzle is pointed downrange, and not at the person next to you.
Common sense, this one.
The Lone (Up) Ranger

Don’t handle your gun when you are behind the firing line. If you are on the firing line, don’t handle your gun when shooters are downrange resetting targets. Is it possible to handle your gun behind the firing line and keep it pointed in a safe direction? Maybe, but unless you are under attack, there’s no reason to violate range etiquette rules.
Once again, common sense.
The Muff

This often occurs immediately after the user has already fired one shot without hearing protection, and they reach to adjust their earmuffs, loaded gun in hand, pointed at the sky. Would you be willing to fire a loaded gun from that position? If not, then it’s unsafe. How to avoid this? Holster the gun or make it safe and set it down on a downrange table or bench.
You should have your earpro on BEFORE firing your first shot. The rest is common sense, though.
The Trigger Guardian

The trigger guardian will insist that their finger is “off the trigger.” Technically it is, but when the finger is placed in that position, it’s extremely easy for the finger to get to the trigger, should the shooter be startled or bumped. Some argue that it’s tactically important to have the finger that extra quarter-inch closer to the trigger, resting on the trigger guard and not on the slide, because they believe that it makes them faster to the first shot.

Nowhere in the shooting world does speed matter more than at the IPSC Grand Master level, where multi-day matches are sometimes decided by fractions of a second. If that marginal change in trigger finger position made a measurable difference in speed, one would expect that the top shooters would use that technique. They don’t, and I state that as a Master class shooter who has taken courses from, practiced with, and RO’d top level shooters.
I agree with this, to a certain extent. It may be OK for DAO shooters, but it's a bad habit to get into. Let's say that you are used to doing this because of your DAO, but you are shooting your buddy's 1911. See the problem?

As for the IPCS rant, it's immaterial. They wouldn't do this because these guys are shooting custom race pistols with hair triggers.
The Palm Shooter

The disassembly procedure for a Glock handgun requires that two levers be pressed down, one on each side of the frame, and the trigger pulled to release the slide. Unfortunately, one technique that many shooters adopt for this procedure places the muzzle pointed into their palm. There are multiple first-hand accounts documented online (including photos of the resulting injury) of shooters putting a hole in their hand as a result of failing to remove the round in the chamber before pulling the trigger.
Once again, another problem that can be solved BY MAKING SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED!! NEVER disassemble a gun until you've verified that it is unloaded MORE THAN ONE TIME.
The Barrel Looker

This usually occurs after a malfunction has occurred, and the shooter is trying to determine whether the barrel is blocked or the chamber is fouled. Unfortunately, this method requires the shooter to point the gun in an unsafe direction. Safe alternatives include removing the barrel from the slide before inspection or using a Bore Snake or cleaning rod through the barrel.
This one is a more than a little anal. There are many guns out there that you just can't look down the barrel through the breach without a gunsmith to remove the barrel for you, and running a boresnake or cleaning rod isn't going to tell you if a barrel is pitted or if the rifling is damaged. Make sure the weapon is unloaded, lock back the bolt/slide/open the cylinder, and do your thing. If at all possible, remove the slide/cylinder, bolt.
The Ammo Saver

This usually occurs while unloading a semi-auto pistol. After the magazine is removed and the slide is racked, the ammo saver stops paying attention to muzzle direction and becomes obsessed with the ejected live round. Often this results in the muzzle pointing at the shooter’s feet or pointing up range. To correct this unsafe behavior, the shooter should ignore the ejected round and instead complete the unloading process by checking the chamber to ensure that it’s empty, and then holstering the pistol or setting it down, muzzle in a safe direction, before bending over to pick up the ejected round.
Common sense tells you to put the gun down before bending over.
Common sense.... isn't common. Unfortunately, some of those people with no common sense own guns and go to the same range as you. I'm just some guy on the internet... Heck, I could be one of those people completely lacking common sense! If you and I are going to share a gun range, for your own safety as well as my own, wouldn't you like me to be the most educated kind of idiot I can be? :lol:

Like everything else on the internet, I take what information I deem useful and I leave anything I find to be silly or useless. The point I see here is the reiteration that safety rules should overlap so that you have to break several before something bad happens. It's my goal to be continually mindful about safety and not get too complacent about anything. I don't want to get ridiculous but I'd rather be just a LITTLE overly cautious. :D
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon May 19, 2014 11:36 pm

raptor wrote:
woodsghost wrote:I actually CAN hit a target that small. :lol:

I thought you were going to say "I can so hit the broadside of a barn". :lol:
Hehehe. Wish I had thought of that.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:53 am

Armor76 wrote:The point I see here is the reiteration that safety rules should overlap so that you have to break several before something bad happens. It's my goal to be continually mindful about safety and not get too complacent about anything.

Quite fucking true. Complacency kills. Motorcycle riders often say "ride as if every every driver is actively trying to kill you". I know that when I'm riding, I'm constantly scanning for threats and looking for escape routes. The "what if?" game never stops. I do my best to apply the same sort of thinking to firearms, to prepping, and to life in general.

To quote the History Channel, "If we prepare for the unthinkable, we can be prepared for the inevitable."

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm

I don't understand "The Cowboy". Is he holding his gun up like that and looking at the target? Does he have so much muzzle flip that his gun is flying upwards and he can't control it?
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue May 20, 2014 2:21 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:I don't understand "The Cowboy". Is he holding his gun up like that and looking at the target? Does he have so much muzzle flip that his gun is flying upwards and he can't control it?
I think he is pointing it up while getting ready to aim at the target. If he puts his finger on the trigger while doing this, there can be an accidental discharge. Which is what happened to me. I count that as poor trigger control rather than "cowboying."

If I am wrong and he is not simply pointing it up while getting ready to shoot, I really don't know what he is doing.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue May 20, 2014 3:21 pm

crypto wrote:Lots of good info here, specially about flagging body parts while shooting. I see a lot of that.

However, theres also some stuff I find silly in the extreme, like worrying about what direction the muzzle is pointing when the weapon is cased. If the weapon is inside a case in a vehicle, it's going to at some point either be pointing at you in the front seat, at the driver behind you, or at every other car you pass or are passed by on the road.
I also thought this seemed extreme....

And what about weapons kept locked up at home in the nightstand? Pointed up is bad because of rooms upstairs. Pointed down is bad because of rooms in the basement. Pointed in any other direction is bad because of neighbors. Personally, I'm an empty chamber with full mag kind of guy, and I keep my guns locked up, but where does the muzzle go if there is no safe direction?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue May 20, 2014 3:30 pm

feedthedog wrote:
crypto wrote:Lots of good info here, specially about flagging body parts while shooting. I see a lot of that.

However, theres also some stuff I find silly in the extreme, like worrying about what direction the muzzle is pointing when the weapon is cased. If the weapon is inside a case in a vehicle, it's going to at some point either be pointing at you in the front seat, at the driver behind you, or at every other car you pass or are passed by on the road.
I also thought this seemed extreme....

And what about weapons kept locked up at home in the nightstand? Pointed up is bad because of rooms upstairs. Pointed down is bad because of rooms in the basement. Pointed in any other direction is bad because of neighbors. Personally, I'm an empty chamber with full mag kind of guy, and I keep my guns locked up, but where does the muzzle go if there is no safe direction?
Better not sit down with a holstered firearm, especially in a theater with stadium seating!
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun May 25, 2014 8:04 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:I don't understand "The Cowboy". Is he holding his gun up like that and looking at the target? Does he have so much muzzle flip that his gun is flying upwards and he can't control it?
I assume he is doing that stupid tomahawk motion "take aim" thing you see idiots and some people in old movies do.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Mon May 26, 2014 12:27 am

Guns are inanimate. For a gun to be pointed or aimed a set of human hands must direct it. Dont mistake a muzzle merely facing a direction for a muzzle being aimed or pointed in a direction. Unless you're literally aligning the sights with one eye and reading this with the other, every single gun we all own or will ever own is breaking that rule.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Tue May 27, 2014 11:42 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'm in the "some of this is getting a bit silly" end of things. Mag out, slide/bolt locked to the rear/cylinder removed or open, I don't see a problem with taking a peek down the bore if you can't do it from the other end. To quote a smarter man than me, "At some point the muzzle and the bullet trajectory will cover something you don't want to shoot, the important bit is to be aware of it." If you're going to break one rule, the other three are there to cover your ass. If you're doing dry-fire, you're going to have to point the weapon at something you don't want to shoot and you're going to have to have your finger on the trigger when you don't intend to fire a round. A cased or holstered gun will point all kinds of places. I guess I break the rules when I throw a cased rifle in the back of my whip? OH MY GOD I FLAGGED THE ENTIRE INTERSTATE AND THE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF!!

I literally laughed out loud at this.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”