Favorite Accessories for your AR...with Pics!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Favorite Accessories for your AR...with Pics!

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon May 12, 2014 11:47 am

AS556 wrote:Whats so great about the BCM CH? Dont get me wrong, I like mine a lot. I just dont think I'm enough of a SRS operator to notice the benefits. It is nice for charging the weapon weak handed though. I do realize it redirects the forces off the roll pin, which is another plus.
Bulletproofitivity. Also if you have a larger optic on top, it's easier to run the bolt without busting a knuckle, and it has little a American flag on it for +2DPS against furrin' invasion.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

proteus
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, resident evil, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead, I am legend

Post by proteus » Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
AS556 wrote:Whats so great about the BCM CH? Dont get me wrong, I like mine a lot. I just dont think I'm enough of a SRS operator to notice the benefits. It is nice for charging the weapon weak handed though. I do realize it redirects the forces off the roll pin, which is another plus.
Bulletproofitivity. Also if you have a larger optic on top, it's easier to run the bolt without busting a knuckle, and it has little a American flag on it for +2DPS against furrin' invasion.
But can you get one with a +6 Vorpal?? That is the real question on everyones mind...or is it just me?
When in doubt fire for effect...

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:13 pm

You can use just your support hand on the BCM Gunfighter CH to pull the bolt back. No swapping hands to use your dominant hand with two fingers on either side or losing your cheek weld to give yourself some room and trying to awkwardly do it with two fingers on your left hand at the wrong angle like with the standard CH. The best way I've found of racking the bolt with a standard CH is to pinch it and pull the bolt back.

It's just much quicker with the BCM Gunfighter. I generally use the edge of my left/support hand or the first knuckle on my left index finger to pull it back, way quicker that way. The standard CH works too, but it's not the same as being able to rack it using the knuckle of your index finger.

The BCM Gunfighter CH isn't the only CH on the market where it's set up to do it this way. The Badger Tac Latch and several others are out there as well.

The BCM Gunfighter is just much more sturdy than Extended CH's like the Badger. It's design is made to handle the stress.

-
Troy H&K-style back up irons

Last edited by Browning 35 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon May 12, 2014 12:27 pm

AS556 wrote:
Whats so great about the BCM CH? Dont get me wrong, I like mine a lot. I just dont think I'm enough of a SRS operator to notice the benefits. It is nice for charging the weapon weak handed though. I do realize it redirects the forces off the roll pin, which is another plus.
I suppose a little explanation is in order. Extended charging handles were made for speed and ease of support hand manipulations. Problem is, the original charging handle was never intended for this use. So, extended latches were made with the law of unintended consequences rearing its head. The added leverage meant more pressure focused on a single roll pin. No surprise, they started breaking.

Worse than the latch breaking off (because your rifle is still functional even without a latch) was the increase in the charging handle bodies themselves getting torqued or kinked. A crooked charging handle means a gun that isn't going into battery and isn't shooting. More aggressive malfunction manipulations only exacerbated this.

The Vltor/BCM gunfighter CH helps prevent both of those issues. While there still is a roll pin holding the latch in place, the pressure is transferred to the body of the charging handle itself. The Gunfighter is maxed out dimensionally to help prevent any bending etc. I've done full-on pogos with no issues and have been known to stand on the latch to show how strong it is.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 pm

I really dislike extended charging handle latches. I mean if they work for you great but if you can't operate the stock charging handle one handed you might have other issues.

I also disliked how they would dig into my chest if I wasn't wearing a vest or a chest rig. And the big honking ones have a tendency to get fouled on gear like mag pouch flaps and what not. I ran two different ones and decided they weren't for me and put the stock latch back on there.

My favorite accessory for my AR? Probably the mounted light. It's the most useful out of all of the rest, not that I have that many. Followed by optics.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon May 12, 2014 2:07 pm

I head you on the too large latches; not all the Vltor/BCM CH's are huge. The Mod 4 is medium (that one is my preference). The Mod 3 falls into the chest digger category. The Mod 5 is only slightly larger than a normal latch.

Here's a comparison (Mod 5 on top, Mod 4 below)
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

I have the mod 3 and love it. I agree that the latch is overkill. If I was using a chest rig with slimmer mag pouches or no chest rig I would use a model with a smaller latch.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

andym

Post by andym » Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 am

My favorite "accoutrement".....

Seriously...a red dot and white light are two most important for me.

Sen

Post by Sen » Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 pm

I got one of those Ace SOCOM stocks around 8 years ago. I hated it. The buffer shot out every time I opened my rifle and I could never attach a sling in a comfortable position. Magpul stocks ever since.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Sen wrote:I got one of those Ace SOCOM stocks around 8 years ago. I hated it. The buffer shot out every time I opened my rifle and I could never attach a sling in a comfortable position. Magpul stocks ever since.
Regardless of the stock used, if the buffer shot out when open something was wrong with your buffer retainer. I always do top/rear/outside for a rear sling point (aside from some special purpose items) so the sling point never bothered me.
Dave Merrill

proteus
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, resident evil, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead, I am legend

Post by proteus » Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 pm

I just can't say enough about the magpul UBR stock. It is by far the most comfortable stock I have ever used and the cheek weld is perfect for me. I don't think I'll ever switch stocks again...
When in doubt fire for effect...

Sen

Post by Sen » Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Dave_M wrote:
Sen wrote:I got one of those Ace SOCOM stocks around 8 years ago. I hated it. The buffer shot out every time I opened my rifle and I could never attach a sling in a comfortable position. Magpul stocks ever since.
Regardless of the stock used, if the buffer shot out when open something was wrong with your buffer retainer. I always do top/rear/outside for a rear sling point (aside from some special purpose items) so the sling point never bothered me.
The problem was that the stock screwed in too far and depressed the buffer retainer too much so that the buffer would pop out if it wasn't aligned just right.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri May 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Sen wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
The problem was that the stock screwed in too far and depressed the buffer retainer too much so that the buffer would pop out if it wasn't aligned just right.
Once again, not really necessarily a problem with the stock itself. One can easily do the same with a carbine receiver extension as well.
Dave Merrill

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”