Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 0122358 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:19 pm

woodsghost wrote:
0122358 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone heard anything on the Ruger AR-556 that's been out for awhile ?

I've read a few reviews and they all seem to point to the rifle being a good deal for the price.
Id buy one to stow away as a beater/loaner gun. Something that isn't a piece of shit that will work and is dependable, but not something I want to drop a pretty penny on in case It gets shit bent.
Sounds like you want an AK :clap:

Sorry, I could not resist!
Well, I wouldn't mind a couple of those as well haha
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7274
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm

0122358 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
0122358 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone heard anything on the Ruger AR-556 that's been out for awhile ?

I've read a few reviews and they all seem to point to the rifle being a good deal for the price.
Id buy one to stow away as a beater/loaner gun. Something that isn't a piece of shit that will work and is dependable, but not something I want to drop a pretty penny on in case It gets shit bent.
Sounds like you want an AK :clap:

Sorry, I could not resist!
Well, I wouldn't mind a couple of those as well haha
I've decided to skip the Ruger AR and buy another AK (Inter Ordnance is putting out some really good ones right now).

I already stock a good deal of 7.62x39 and I'm more familiar with the AK manual of operations than I am with the AR's.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7274
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Didn't Dave test one of those awhile back ?

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by woodsghost » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:06 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I've decided to skip the Ruger AR and buy another AK (Inter Ordnance is putting out some really good ones right now).

I already stock a good deal of 7.62x39 and I'm more familiar with the AK manual of operations than I am with the AR's.
Everything I have seen from IO Inc says their AKs are not what you want, even if they are "good deals." The issue I keep reading about is that many of them are not put together in a safe manner. If that has changed recently, then I would look at them.

All I'll encourage you to do is dig around and read about whether they are still having problems or not, and what the old problems were.

I have no first hand experience, but I keep running across people mentioning past problems over at the akfiles. I tend to trust the general body of knowledge over there. Some people do report having excellent rifles from IO. So I just want to encourage you to be aware and do some reading.

Best of luck to ya!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7274
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:16 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I've decided to skip the Ruger AR and buy another AK (Inter Ordnance is putting out some really good ones right now).

I already stock a good deal of 7.62x39 and I'm more familiar with the AK manual of operations than I am with the AR's.
Everything I have seen from IO Inc says their AKs are not what you want, even if they are "good deals." The issue I keep reading about is that many of them are not put together in a safe manner. If that has changed recently, then I would look at them.

All I'll encourage you to do is dig around and read about whether they are still having problems or not, and what the old problems were.

I have no first hand experience, but I keep running across people mentioning past problems over at the akfiles. I tend to trust the general body of knowledge over there. Some people do report having excellent rifles from IO. So I just want to encourage you to be aware and do some reading.

Best of luck to ya!
Thanks, Woodsghost.

From what I've read, the problem rifles are from when IO was still located in North Carolina. The owner moved the whole operation from NC to Florida awhile back and started from zero. The newer guns are supposed to be much better in terms of fit and operation than the older guns.

I have no idea how much of that's true and how much is gun shop BS, though.

If I get a bad gun, I'm calling IO and letting them know about it and seeing what they can do to fix it.

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Dave_M » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:27 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Didn't Dave test one of those awhile back ?
I don't know about testing, but I shot the shit out of it :rofl: Great little subgun. No interest in a semi-auto pistol form though.
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Image

Chrismas came early. I've been shooting Mom's G17L lately, so the other day she and the old man gave it to me, TLR-1 and conversion kit and all. To top it off I had taken my BHP to a local smith to get a semi-custom barrel fitted, and the old man called in a favor to cover the cost.

Frankly I don't know what to say.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 00dlez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Chrismas came early. I've been shooting Mom's G17L lately, so the other day she and the old man gave it to me, TLR-1 and conversion kit and all. To top it off I had taken my BHP to a local smith to get a semi-custom barrel fitted, and the old man called in a favor to cover the cost.

Frankly I don't know what to say.
Pew pew pew!
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

User avatar
TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: CO

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Dave_M wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Didn't Dave test one of those awhile back ?
I don't know about testing, but I shot the shit out of it :rofl: Great little subgun. No interest in a semi-auto pistol form though.
Does look like fun. Didn't watch that vid but saw a bunch of pics floating around. Price isn't horrible and the sig brace clown shoe works too. Between the mpx and this I dunno what I'd choose if I even really was serious about buying either :crazy:

Would be fun, not a lot of 'practical' use I suppose
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013
Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Didn't Dave test one of those awhile back ?
I don't know about testing, but I shot the shit out of it :rofl: Great little subgun. No interest in a semi-auto pistol form though.
Does look like fun. Didn't watch that vid but saw a bunch of pics floating around. Price isn't horrible and the sig brace clown shoe works too. Between the mpx and this I dunno what I'd choose if I even really was serious about buying either :crazy:

Would be fun, not a lot of 'practical' use I suppose
Scorpion EVO is like half the MSRP ($850 pistol) of the MPX pistol ($1549, Cabelas) with rumored $20 price on mags. I know which one I'd choose.
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: CO

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:19 pm

Wow hadn't heard that on pricing. Nice
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013
Image

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:28 am

New item added to the list of things I've broken that aren't supposed to break: Aimpoint PRO.

Aimpoint is taking it back for free repairs.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Bearcat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:43 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:New item added to the list of things I've broken that aren't supposed to break: Aimpoint PRO.

Aimpoint is taking it back for free repairs.
What happened?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 am

Shooting. I drop prone, roll around, act goofy, knock into walls. I don't really know, I thought the battery died but I swapped it out a few times but no joy.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
chills1994
* * * * *
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 am
Location: metro east of St. Louis

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by chills1994 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:50 pm

I'm with Dave. I don't really see the point of a CZ Evo or whatever other PDW-ish guns (Bren whatever????) that are coming out in 2015....when they don't come with a giggle switch.

In other news....

USPSA.org got its website hacked. Said hacker then went on to pastebin to post up just about everbody's email address and password, including the ones that are .gov and .mil .

You can read about it here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.p ... 850&page=1

Or here:

http://doodieproject.invisionzone.com/i ... te-hacked/

It is not known at this time whether the home addresses of USPSA members were also compromised.
_______________________________________

Guns are icky!

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 pm

chills1994 wrote:I don't really see the point of a CZ Evo or whatever other PDW-ish guns (Bren whatever????) that are coming out in 2015.
Yeah, IMO, the 9mm guns are dead. 5.56, 7.62x39, 6.8 and 300 BlkOut have the same small package, better terminal and external ballistics as well as 2 of the rds run subsonic. I mean, I like it, would shoot it if offered but even $850 is a bit steep since I can build a 300 Blk AR pistol for under $600 with $6 mags.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
chills1994
* * * * *
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 am
Location: metro east of St. Louis

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by chills1994 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:02 pm

While very spendy especially if you could build a fully automatic version, I think Recoil was headed in the right direction with this:
Image

IIRC, it was in 6.8 .
_______________________________________

Guns are icky!

User avatar
TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: CO

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 am

OH FUCK YOU COLORADO

Somebody send me an assload of the psa d&h mags on sale for 5.99

:vmad: :vmad: :vmad: :vmad: :vmad:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013
Image

User avatar
TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: CO

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:10 am

Well I cruised all my usual sites for black friday deals. Was hoping to find some ar pistol parts or complete upper at a steal but did not find anything I wanted badly.

If you guys use hornady crit duty carry ammo, check out psa. I got a stack of 9mm +p for 11.99 per 25pack... I pay 20 here locally for it. Good time to rotate the carry ammo!

I also picked up the new style magpul hand guard for said potential pistol build because $28 and why not. They only had grey but that polymer or whatever takes rattlecan well if I hate it.

That mag price is freaking good for a d&h (which I've found to be just fine anyway).


Anyone else blowing their retirement fund? :lol: I made out for well under $200 this year. So far...
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013
Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7274
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Someone please talk me out of buying a Ruger GP100 revolver. :lol:

It won't be until next year until I can actually get the thing, but I'm trying to decide if I really want one for practical purposes or if it's simply because I don't currently have a revolver in my collection.

ETA: Someone also talk me out of buying a Kel-Tec KSG. There's a shop in my AO that has the things for 699 bucks, which is the cheapest I've ever seen them.

I've thought about buying one off and on since they came out, but I've heard the quality is iffy in some cases. I'm looking for a new shotgun so I can retire my Mossberg bullpup to range only duty.

User avatar
Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:54 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Akin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:33 pm

If you're thinking about a KSG, play with it first. A lot. Make sure it cycles smoothly.

If it's a shop with a range, see if they'll let you shoot it.

When I was flirting with a KSG, most reviews I could find basically came down to people hating it or loving it. It really seems like it depends on the weapon you get.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7274
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Akin wrote:If you're thinking about a KSG, play with it first. A lot. Make sure it cycles smoothly.

If it's a shop with a range, see if they'll let you shoot it.

When I was flirting with a KSG, most reviews I could find basically came down to people hating it or loving it. It really seems like it depends on the weapon you get.
I've handled a few of them, but they never really made me want to drop the cash on one. I mean, I've got a bullpup shotgun already and I'm really leaning more towards a traditional looking shotgun anyway. I may just end up dropping the cash on a regular Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870.

The GP100 is going to happen. The KSG, probably not so much.

eeb
* * * *
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by eeb » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:52 pm

TheLastOne wrote:OH FUCK YOU COLORADO

Somebody send me an assload of the psa d&h mags on sale for 5.99

:vmad: :vmad: :vmad: :vmad: :vmad:
Grrr...can't really comment on that. It's good to live in America, but some states seem to get away with ignoring the constitution. Ordered some of those mags myself, just in case my "representatives" follow that lead in the future.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”