Purpose of the Semi Auto 308 Battle Rifle

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Re: Purpose of the Semi Auto 308 Battle Rifle

Post by Alpha-17 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:Hey, Alpha 17, can you do some science? How about adding to the data pool and set up my test and run it with the Scar 17. I don't know anyone with one or I'd do it myself. IDPA at 15 yds, rifle low ready and time 5 rds.
That would put the modern 308 battle rifle into the mix. :D
I don't have a shot timer, but I'll see what I can do the next time I go shooting.
Browning 35 wrote:
quazi wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:contrary to internet rumors the brass is reloadable,
You're the second person on ZS who has said this (that I know of). Maybe I need to get myself one.
You can, just use a port buffer (so that it gets mangled less) and when you reload use a full length resizing die.

That's about how my PTR's brass looks as well. After tumbling, and a full length re size, I've found that the vast majority of the brass is safe to reload.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Re: Purpose of the Semi Auto 308 Battle Rifle

Post by Langenator » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Manimal2878 wrote:I think your opinions and analysis are backed up by the fact that fewer and fewer police and militaries are using the .308 as their primary rifle cartridge.
To piggyback on this Idea, .300WM and .338 Lapua are replacing .308 for the precision roles, and GD has fielded both a .300WM and .338Lapua MMG with an eye to supplement or replace the existing M240. IIRC, the Army has been fielding either an M21 or M24 refitted in .300WM to help with the distance in the mountains. Navy has something too, but I'm not sure if it's a refitted M14 or what, as it was a sidebar in an equipment packet (WOLFHOUND, if anyone knows what that is) and I didn't pay a whole lot of attention beyond how NSW was employing the system.
The Army has fielded M24 (Rem700) rifles in .300 WM. Pretty sure they haven't even attempted in with the M21...trying to rebuild an M14 chassis to handle a longer cartridge, and a belted magnum at that, would be a huge technical challenge. Remington already makes the 700 in .300WM, so cross-breeding that with the 7.62 M24 sniper rifle would be relatively simple.

The reason for the resurgence of the 7.62x51 as a military rifle cartridge in the last decade+ is due to two major factor, one for each war: greater barrier penetration (primarily an Iraq thing) and greater effective range (for some of the wide open spaces of Afghanistan), in both cases as compared to the 5.56.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”