Magpul AK PMAG

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Magpul AK PMAG

Post by AmirMortal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:00 am

OK, so I've been waiting for this ever since they came out with the AR version. I'll be curious to see if these can hold up to the standard set by the famous circle 10s.

Linky Here

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Magpul AK PMAG

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:01 am

AmirMortal wrote:OK, so I've been waiting for this ever since they came out with the AR version. I'll be curious to see if these can hold up to the standard set by the famous circle 10s.

Linky Here
They won't. No metal feed lips or locking lugs.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:07 am

Very likely that you are right, but material science is coming a long way rather quickly, so I'm hopeful. I'm sure it won't be long before someone does side by side comparison between the two.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:35 am

What it would have to do is provide at least the same quality of reliability, sturdiness and feeding as regular steel mags. It should also satisfy the 922r parts count.
I note they still plan to introduce their answer to the bulgy polymers.

Wouldn't these products conflict with each other? If they could make something even more durable than the bulgy polymers and bring them in at a competitive price point, why would I buy regular mags?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 am

There are basically two types of people in the world, those who know what makes a good AK mag and those that don't. The all plastic mag is for the former while the steel reinforced will be for the latter.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:31 pm

rumor I heard is that they will make a steel reinforced mag later, but that the price will be high enough they wanted a cheaper option. Why they are releasing the cheaper one first I don't know. I predict people will break it and get a bad taste in their mouth just like PALM and will ignore the later, better mag because of said bad taste.

that said, I'll probably buy one to play with and wait hopefully for a steel lug 'n' lips p-mag.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:06 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:rumor I heard is that they will make a steel reinforced mag later, but that the price will be high enough they wanted a cheaper option. Why they are releasing the cheaper one first I don't know. I predict people will break it and get a bad taste in their mouth just like PALM and will ignore the later, better mag because of said bad taste.

that said, I'll probably buy one to play with and wait hopefully for a steel lug 'n' lips p-mag.
Another forum I just read had a Magpul Rep saying that the steel reinforced mag was soon to follow after they perfected the all polymer mag.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Badger24 wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:rumor I heard is that they will make a steel reinforced mag later, but that the price will be high enough they wanted a cheaper option. Why they are releasing the cheaper one first I don't know. I predict people will break it and get a bad taste in their mouth just like PALM and will ignore the later, better mag because of said bad taste.

Another forum I just read had a Magpul Rep saying that the steel reinforced mag was soon to follow after they perfected the all polymer mag.
Which is bullshit, because the reinforced mag should be the easier design to perfect...

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Badger24 wrote:

Which is bullshit, because the reinforced mag should be the easier design to perfect...
On their FB page they said it's easier to design the polymer ones first because it's easier to work with the plastic molds, to change the geometry, and make little changes to the molds. Which makes sense to me, that it's easier to change and modify a mold than a press dye. Once the polymer one is good, you keep everything the same and just change out the specific polymer parts for metal ones.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

ksbsnowowl

Post by ksbsnowowl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Kommander wrote:There are basically two types of people in the world, those who know what makes a good AK mag and those that don't. The all plastic mag is for the former while the steel reinforced will be for the latter.
I think you got those backwards. Those who know what makes a good AK mag know you need steel-reinforced feed lips and a steel locking lug.

I eagerly await the steel-reinforced version. I love my circle 10's, and would love something comparable for a lesser price point.
The lion sings and the birds take flight,
The moon by day and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool,
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 pm

Yea I got that backwards. That's what I get for phone posting while tired.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 am

I have a few of these but they're all different. Some fit in my saiga just fine, other's you have to man handle in. I'm not impressed what so ever. Glad I only paid five bucks for each of my plastic magazines. I certainly prefer the metal ones even with the extra weight they are.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Just so that we are clear you have several of these Magpul AK mags and some fit and some don't? That is uncharacteristic of Magpul stuff in my experience and does not bode well for them.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:15 pm

vahtryn wrote:I have a few of these but they're all different. Some fit in my saiga just fine, other's you have to man handle in. I'm not impressed what so ever. Glad I only paid five bucks for each of my plastic magazines. I certainly prefer the metal ones even with the extra weight they are.
I too find that extremely hard to believe that you are talking about magpul mags, for two reasons. The fact that the same mags fits differently in the same rifles, and the 5.00 price point. You must be talking about some generic plastic mags.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:06 am

Rugger wrote:
vahtryn wrote:I have a few of these but they're all different. Some fit in my saiga just fine, other's you have to man handle in. I'm not impressed what so ever. Glad I only paid five bucks for each of my plastic magazines. I certainly prefer the metal ones even with the extra weight they are.
I too find that extremely hard to believe that you are talking about magpul mags, for two reasons. The fact that the same mags fits differently in the same rifles, and the 5.00 price point. You must be talking about some generic plastic mags.
They were all bought from a friend that sells surplus. They all say magpul on them. Friend discounts do happen when you barter with someone on and off for years ya know. I just got 10 mags for my AR an additional 7 for my 1911 and 7 more metal AK mags for 230 bucks from the same person :p Yes I know. I'm getting basically a family rate on things from my friend but that's one of the reasons you have friends right?

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 am

Huh. I'm genuinely surprised. How long have you had them?
Image Red Wire Rules!!

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Rugger wrote:Huh. I'm genuinely surprised. How long have you had them?
I've had them for two years, since I bought my saiga and converted it.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:01 pm

They just started shipping right after shot show. You sure you have magpul ak mags?
ZS#4545

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:06 pm

vahtryn wrote:
If you have had them for 2 years then you got them before they were announced in 2013 and before they actually went on sale in 2014.

If your having trouble with yours fitting, it is likely due to what you have being very early prototypes as they worked through issues before releasing these mags, not an inherent issue with the mags that are on sale now.

Reviewers only received prototypes of these mags starting in Jan 2014.

So if you got yours in 2012, or 2011 I would not expect them to be a final prototype.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 pm

vahtryn wrote:
You've had MagPul AK mags longer than MagPul has been making them? Are you -sure- they're magpul and not Tapco, US Palm, or any of the other polymer mags?

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm

vahtryn wrote:
That's what I thought. You suuuuure they say magpul? (tries to set second hook)
Image Red Wire Rules!!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:40 pm

So thought I would share these videos of someone testing out these mags.

Magpul MOE AK-47 / AKM-47 (Prototype) PMAG Review

Magpul AK-47 MOE PMag Magazine Torture Test & Review
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Vladimir
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead

Post by Vladimir » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:07 pm

Poland uses no metal in their Beryl ak mags . They are in use and they haven't changed them . The first mags being black and now to a greenish clear mag body . I buy them used surplus and haven't seen any horrific wear on them .
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Poland maybe has all plastic mags, but I have a hard time believing they hold up just fine under hard use. I expect the Polish military DOES do a good job pushing their mags to the limit and knows exactly where the limit is. Maybe their mags are tougher than I realize. Or maybe they figure it is cheaper to replace those mags than to get mags that last.

Here is a video testing some plastic and one metal mag. None of them are Magpuls, and none of them are Polish. I feel the video does a good demonstrating why I'm reluctant to trust a magazine that is completely plastic, as well as some of the limitations of metal mags. In the end, I expect a combination plastic/metal mag is probably best.

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”