I've got 10,000 to spend

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Jackmontana33

I've got 10,000 to spend

Post by Jackmontana33 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi, I'm pretty new to the prepper world. I have ten thousand dollars to spend on my arsenal. I need suggestions! Please try to be specific ... Instead of saying shotgun say a Remington 870 with tactical stock or whatever.
I need a edc pistol, defensive pistol, rifle, and whatever else comes to mind

Thanks in advance, this will really help me !

PS I'm partial to H&K

Assault Life

Re: I've got 10,000 to spend

Post by Assault Life » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:21 pm

If you know your partial to HK, then why would you need outside help choosing what to get? How do you know your partial to HK?Are your other preps in order? Is this a bullshit post?
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Not to be obtuse, but do you have any other preps? Food? Water? First aid? Shelter? No doubt firearms are an integral part to many people's plan, but having a super-leet tacticool gun isn't much use when you're starving to death, or going delirious from dehydration, or dying of infection from a cut. Priorities.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Jackmontana33 wrote:Hi, I'm pretty new to the prepper world. I have ten thousand dollars to spend on my arsenal. I need suggestions! Please try to be specific ... Instead of saying shotgun say a Remington 870 with tactical stock or whatever.

PS I'm partial to H&K
While my wiener is getting real hard thinking about telling you about belt rigs, Tavors, SCARs, training classes, ear pro, holster, lights, sights, and slings.....The best way to not be a prepper is to start out spending 10,000 dollars on guns.

So, do you want advice from a prepper or from a gun enthusiast?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Best way to prep with 10K?
1) Put a grand into savings for an emergency fund - do not touch it unless it's an emergency. Hookers and blow are NOT emergencies - the lawyer to get you out IS.
2) Take a grand and get food/environmental concerns squared away
3) Buy ONE GUN (come on, everyone needs a toy in the midst of commonsense)
4) Invest the rest with the help of a good financial planner.

NXP

Jackmontana33

Post by Jackmontana33 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Sorry I didn't word it right... I'm new to the firearm side of prepping. I have 3 months of food and water along with a bug out bag (working to get up to six months ) and I have just received a major pay raise. I like the feel and finish of h&ks (I have shot them at fireing ranges) that's why I said I was partial to them.
Also I know I need other types of firearms
Thanks and sorry for the mis comunication
Last edited by Jackmontana33 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Glock 19
AR 15 of quality. Bcm, colt, or PSA.
Ammo and training.
Lather, rinse repeat.
That's all in about 3-4k.
10 k on guns without knowledge in their use is foolish.
Put the rest away until you know what you're doing and are confident.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Jackmontana33

Post by Jackmontana33 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Jackmontana33 wrote:Hi, I'm pretty new to the prepper world. I have ten thousand dollars to spend on my arsenal. I need suggestions! Please try to be specific ... Instead of saying shotgun say a Remington 870 with tactical stock or whatever.

PS I'm partial to H&K
While my wiener is getting real hard thinking about telling you about belt rigs, Tavors, SCARs, training classes, ear pro, holster, lights, sights, and slings.....The best way to not be a prepper is to start out spending 10,000 dollars on guns.

So, do you want advice from a prepper or from a gun enthusiast?

I would like help from both.... I do have my prepping needs squared away

Orphancow

Post by Orphancow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 pm

northernxposure wrote:Best way to prep with 10K?
1) Put a grand into savings for an emergency fund - do not touch it unless it's an emergency. Hookers and blow are NOT emergencies - the lawyer to get you out IS.

NXP
Hilarious! Best advice ever
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:01 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Glock 19
Ammo and training.
Lather, rinse repeat.
Solid advice. I'll add:

.308 bolt action like a Remington 700. I have a hard on for the AAC-SD.
Glock 35 with 9mm conversion barrel/mags/extractor. After buying one, my G19 hasn't seen much range time.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:09 pm

If you like HK, and can afford it, get an HK, they're good pistols. Go with a compact, there's your EDC and defensive pistol. P2000 SK, USP Compact, they'll all do the job.

Rifle, get a decent AR. BCM, Daniel Defense, or Colt would be my suggestions. You can get a DD set up any way you want for under 2,000. Add an Aimpoint Micro or EOTech EXPS, a light, and a sling.

Everyone needs a .22 rifle if you don't have one.

For prep purposes, IMHO that's really all you need. The rest of the money should go to mags, ammo and training.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 pm

northernxposure wrote:Best way to prep with 10K?
I'd say double it, half in the bank, and the other half in cash someplace where you can get if you need it but enough of a pain in the ass to get to that you'll leave it there unless you REALLY need it.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Bender711

Post by Bender711 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Might want to wait till the end of the scare if you aren't worried about not being able to get things in a year or what not. Right now the 10k won't go nearly as far as it should.

My list would go something like this:

Rifles:
ar15 in 5.56 or 300blackout if you dont mind reloading for it.
Ar15 in 308 set up for longer range.

Optional: Bolt action in 300 win mag if you see yourself taking 1000m+ shots.

Shotgun:
I am partial to semis, I would go with a Mossberg 930spx or FN SLP.

Pistols:
S&W M&P full sized and compact, pick your caliber.
I do like the H&K 45 and compact too. Not a fan of the p30.

.22s
Ruger 10/22
Ruger 22/45

If your state allows it get a nice .30cal rifle suppressor, it can be used on the 5.56 too. A .22 can wouldn't be a bad investment either.

I have no idea what all of this would cost but you should be able to do it with 10k. If you don't see your self needing one or more of the above options feel free to drop it. If you see your self doing more hunting than warfighting or carbine classes a turn bolt .308 can be much lighter than the AR option.

Just remember training is more important than kit. A $1000 AR15 and $1000 of training is better than a $2000 ar15.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Here's some advice from a prepper and a gun enthusiast:

Prepper-wise

10k is some serious cheddar. I don't think I would spend ALL of it on firearms unless I was very comfortable with my food, water, shelter, and sanitation situation. There is always room for improvement in those areas.

If your preps are geared toward a bug-out, spend some of your $$$ to beef up on the bug-in side of things, and vice-versa.

Do you owe a lot of money for your home, your car, or in credit card bills? 10k skins is like a howitzer when it comes to debt zombies (especially the credit card zeds).

Gun-wise

Hold off on the defensive carbine until the market gets unfucked.

If you are really hot to get a CCW/OC pistol, take a good look at Glock's offerings. If you don't like them, handle a few Springfield XDs and see if you like them. Then find someplace that will let you shoot a few after some basic instruction, and choose the one that you like best. Get the Glock. Then spend some cash on training, ammo, and magazines. Have you got the Glock yet? I've got a Springfield XDm in 9mm, and it suits my needs. I should've bought a Glock.

For entry-level home defense, I'd recommend a solid pump shotgun, like the Remmy 870. Factory stocks are good enough, but I'd look into an extended magazine, pistol grips, and adjustable stock when you get a little trigger time under your belt. There's a very good Defensive Shotgun thread on here by Dave M. I recommend you give it a read. Linky. Click Me Dammit!!!!11!!ONE!!

Random Thoughts

This is a really bad time to get into the firearms side of prepping. The market is awash with overpriced guns, and ammo for training/serious use is in short supply and a hell of a lot more expensive than it should be. There is nothing wrong with covering the absolute minimums in firearms and sitting on the rest of your cash until things sort themselves out.

Ten grand worth of guns is almost useless if you don't train to use them. Spend some of that money on training.

If you do decide to pay an over-inflated price for a defensive carbine and training/serious use ammo, at least get something in an AR or AK flavor that won't leave too bad a taste in your mouth.

Search around these fora a bit and be a sponge. There's plenty of good info here if you invest some time and patience in the search function.

EDIT: Bluetext is an indication or sarcasm, a joke, or good info disguised as a joke.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm

HiPoints, lots of HiPoints... Or a Mini14 if you can find one... Everything else is overpriced these days.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 pm

First, I'd ask if you have all of your credit card debt paid off?

Then I'd ask if you have a pistol, a shotgun, a bolt action rifle and a semi-automatic rifle. Also, is a .22 one of the above rifles?

If not, then buy a pistol and either rifle or shotgun, depending on your situation.

Then, what's your emergency fund look like? Do you have 2 months of living expense saved?

Food up to six months?

Then, another gun.
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

Jackmontana33

Post by Jackmontana33 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Didn't read all the above posts, sorry if I say things that have been dismissed...

Glock 19, 4 spare mags, 1000rnds ammo (mix of training and social-use)
AR or AK (check the AR and AK threads to find one thats right for you) 10 mags and 1000rnds (maybe wait until prices in your area die down a bit)
Ruger 10/22, I hear US prices are pretty fucked for .22LR ammo at the moment. But I'd recommend 5000rnds whenever it's financially sensible to do so.
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Buy one, it doesn't matter which. Shoot it a bit and modify as you feel necessary. 500 mixed shells. Get a good variety, ask your local gunstore about what is good for game in your area.

That shouldn't come to more than $5k. That's your firearms set until you get up a lot of trigger time and can buy what you feel you specifically lack.

With the other $5k (I'm assuming you're not in any debt other than a mortgage. Put 2k in the bank or under the mattress (not literally, small safes are cheap), it's always nice to have cash reserves. Spend 2k on food, water, medical and general survival supplies. Then spend 1k on keeping your family happy, or a little something special for yourself if you don't have gf/wife/kids.. You just blew 9grand on shit they probably don't care about.... happy wife, happy life.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Aside from "get a Glock", look at the M&P's... Then get training in a class. Then buy ammo, then more training until you are bored with training.

Then get the new hotness, an IWI Tavor, lots of mags, more ammo and training.

Then a good gun safe...or "Residential Security Cabinet"

Then good leather to carry your pistol (hit up Gun_nut) and a CCW class and then get a my little pony AR for shits and giggles.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

DarkGhost
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DarkGhost » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Glock 19
Ammo and training.
Lather, rinse repeat.
+1

Get a 10/22, shoot the piss outta it, find 1 good pistol, follow Regular Guy's advise, AR, Regular Guy's advice...like he says Rinse/Repeat.
Vita brevis, Gloria aeterna

DarkGhost's Go Bag

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Caenus wrote:Aside from "get a Glock", look at the M&P's...
Then look for magazines for the M&P's, then look at Glocks again...

But yeah, as fun as it would be, spending the whole $10k on guns is probably not going to be the best idea right now.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Just bought (horse traded) for 6 M&P 45 mags. It's there, but you either gotta pay extra or be quick on the draw.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Jackmontana33

Post by Jackmontana33 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Yeah I realize I'm going to have to wait until the gun craze is over ! I also realize that 10000 is way to much , haha

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

But yeah, as fun as it would be, spending the whole $10k on guns is probably not going to be the best idea right now.
If you cannot afford to play the game...

Seriously, the arrow is not as important as the Indian. Although we are talking about $10k here...
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”