Are you good with what you have ?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

400 Grains

Re: Are you good with what you have ?

Post by 400 Grains » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:31 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:I have over 10,000 rounds of 5.56, over 1,000 300blk, 15,000 bulk and subsonic 22lr, and at least 500 JHP for all my pistols (a few thousand ball for each).

I'm good, but I could use some more 300blk if I can find it for the right price.

I think it's funny, because people were calling me crazy for buying all this ammo a year ago, at prices 1/3 or 1/4 of what they're going for now.
And people also thought I was crazy for buying all the ammo I did a few years ago, at perhaps half or less of what you paid. Shooting 5.56 and .45 that cost roughly 15 cents a round is a lot more fun. It's also fun trading some of it for other stuff I want now.

When this current panic dies down, (hopefully), folks should think about what they saw for prices during it, and buy accordingly. Besides the preparedness aspect, I don't think ammo can be beat for an investment at this point. Ammo regulations/restrictions are a matter of when, not if.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am

Ten Eight wrote:I'm good except for a 300BO rifle and ammo for it.

I see everybody has lots of guns and ammo, but about the skills and equipment necessary to effectively use them? Do you have even a simple chest rig to carry your rifle mags? Are you in shape? Have you trained with said gear or even shot in bad weather/night time conditions before? Do you have enough mags to load most of your ammo?

That aspect is way more important nowadays.
Yes, but I could be in better shape
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:47 pm

My inability to continue to amass arms , compete and take training classes forced me to reprioritize .

I got in far better shape and started training in martial arts again (sayoc kali and muy thai)

overall I consider myself to be much better prepared for what life throws at me .

That said , I am certainly glad I bought what I did when I did . :P
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Ten Eight wrote:I see everybody has lots of guns and ammo, but about the skills and equipment necessary to effectively use them? Do you have even a simple chest rig to carry your rifle mags? Are you in shape? Have you trained with said gear or even shot in bad weather/night time conditions before? Do you have enough mags to load most of your ammo? That aspect is way more important nowadays.
Some of that got better sorted out for the MilCopp class, also. Chest rig, armor, mags, etc are pretty functional, though I do need to train more. I'm thinking I want to start buying 'good' AK ammo to replace the cheeper stuff I have in stock.

My major failing in being 'combat ready' at this point is fitness, though the class showwed me I wasn't as low in that area as I thought, and spending a week throwwing trash as a garbage man reconfirmed it. I didn't get my ass kicked nearly as badly as I thought I would in either case, so I guess I'm just 'pudgy' rather than 'totally out of shape.' All my co-workers tell me weight loss is something that comes pretty quickly in my new line of work, and now I'm looking forward to that just as much as the paycheck!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Having gone to one income as well, I understand the feeling. Fortunately, I really have more firearms, magazines, and ammunition than I really need. Ammo is in the thousands for 5.56, 9mm, .22, with close to a thousand for .30-06 (Garand) and .45. I recently just upgraded my 10/22, so I really feel good about everything I own. If I woke up tomorrow and could never acquire anything new, I'd be fine. I do pine for a couple of revolvers (don't own one), and a lever gun.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

Mitsu4b12

Post by Mitsu4b12 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am

only have 700rds of .22lr, 75shells #8 target loads, 5shells 00buck, 230rds of 9mm, and only 60rds of 7.62x39.i need to go shopping haha can never have too much ammo, but like others finance plays a big role, work 2 jobs at about 36hrs a week and go to school full time to :/

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

400 Grains wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:I have over 10,000 rounds of 5.56, over 1,000 300blk, 15,000 bulk and subsonic 22lr, and at least 500 JHP for all my pistols (a few thousand ball for each).

I'm good, but I could use some more 300blk if I can find it for the right price.

I think it's funny, because people were calling me crazy for buying all this ammo a year ago, at prices 1/3 or 1/4 of what they're going for now.
And people also thought I was crazy for buying all the ammo I did a few years ago, at perhaps half or less of what you paid. Shooting 5.56 and .45 that cost roughly 15 cents a round is a lot more fun. It's also fun trading some of it for other stuff I want now.

When this current panic dies down, (hopefully), folks should think about what they saw for prices during it, and buy accordingly. Besides the preparedness aspect, I don't think ammo can be beat for an investment at this point. Ammo regulations/restrictions are a matter of when, not if.
I think early 2012 was the lowest point of the ammo market since pre-2008. If you did better than I on 5.56, you've done pretty well. I think I paid $250 shipped per 1000 rounds on my last bulk order.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:16 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
400 Grains wrote:

I think early 2012 was the lowest point of the ammo market since pre-2008. If you did better than I on 5.56, you've done pretty well. I think I paid $250 shipped per 1000 rounds on my last bulk order.
I got it a couple years before that, with a good hookup through an LE contact at state contract pricing. Right around 15 cents a round.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:41 pm

My last 5.56 bulk buy was 175 bucks for 1,000 pulled Mil ammo.

I got all the primed brass, powder and bullets for 175. Just had to put them all back together.

It was actually a trade for 5000 rounds of once fired .45 brass.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Trying to budget firearms, ammo and training with being in college full time is always difficult. Of course one can never have enough ammo, but I feel I have a sufficient amount for all of my calibers to survive a SHTF scenario, but probably not a TEOTWAWKI scenario. The biggest thing I'm regretting is I never got into reloading when I should have. Although, even reloading components are hard to come by these days.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Bearcat wrote:Trying to budget firearms, ammo and training with being in college full time is always difficult. Of course one can never have enough ammo, but I feel I have a sufficient amount for all of my calibers to survive a SHTF scenario, but probably not a TEOTWAWKI scenario. The biggest thing I'm regretting is I never got into reloading when I should have. Although, even reloading components are hard to come by these days.
I'm not sure anyone is ever really ready for TEOTWAKI, so don't sweat it.

Lodewijk

Post by Lodewijk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 am

My main concern at this point is rimfire ammo and components. I have enough for my squirrel gun this year and maybe next (CCI Standard and Wolf MT) and I can even fit an Appleseed shoot in there, but I only have a couple bricks of cheap stuff for my handgun.

If I had 9mm & .380 bullets and a little more .380 brass I would be 100% covered for CCW and my main shooter.

I don't have a modern carbine, and honestly I'm comfortable with that for now. My "fun" money will support CCW and maybe an introduction to IDPA when components are less stressed, can't complain too much. Most of my "preps" to this point have been about eliminating student loan debt (done) and getting the financials ready for a future home.

The most likely situation for me is a coastal evacuation. I finally have enough credit card points for a decent pack, and money is better spent on setting up that than anything else.

The need to stack .22 LR has been made pretty clear though.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:29 am

I'm good on .30-06, 9mm, 00 Buck, #7 Shot, and 22LR.

I don't have a functional defensive carbine yet, though as soon as my backorder clears I'll have a complete AR (waiting on a BCG and a LPK). It looks like I'll be short on 5.56 for awhile, too.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 am

I’ve been at this for the past 20+years so I’m pretty set…in fact I’m probably a tad excessive as my current arsenal is a little over 100 firearms; ammo for all, at least enough for a few combat loads for each rifle, pistol and shogun. A dozen ARs, half a dozen AKs/SKSs (plus an semi-RPK), a half-dozen mil-surp bolt guns (mostly .308), a few 9mm carbines, a few long distance bolt guns, a couple of FALs, MIA, a dozen shotguns and a a couple dozen pistols (mostly 9mm and .45 with a half-dozen revolvers thrown in), oh, a several .22LR rifles and pistols...don't forget a dozen or so conversion kits.

I could most likely arm a platoon with the ammo and gear included. My focus now is on ensuring my kids (daughter 18 and in college; son is 14) have a good starting and functional arsenal.

Here’s what my son uses and will receive “officially” when he’s 18/21:

AR15
Mossberg 500, 20 gauge (18.5/26” barrels)
Beretta 92F Centurion 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
Ruger 10/22
HK/Umarex MP5 replica .22

I still need to get him a decent hunting/long-range rifle (most likely 308) along with his own 12 gauge shotgun (he thinks my Benelli M1S90 is his). I also plan to get him an STI .45 1911 for his graduation present. I wish I had been gifted are arsenal like that when I was his age. Although now, he’s looking for summer employment so he can keep his grubby fingers out of my ammo stocks!

There’s nothing I “need” at the moment. My last “want” was as an UZI carbine which will become an SBR in the near future and I'm thinking really hard about saving for a CMP Garand in .308... About the only thing other than ammo perpetual shopping list would be a few suppressors. ..

ROCK6

Fire

Post by Fire » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:29 am

I have tried a buncha different weapons, and owned a whole bunch too- and at this point I feel that I have what I need for me and a few friends, should it come to that- that said, I will likely never stop collecting, and trading guns, in search of the penultimate mousetrap. as to ammo- for pistol and .22, I am good for the zombies, for defensive battle rifle, good, but of course want more, and frankly poor for long range/ DM rifles- I NEED more .308 and 7.62 x 54- and of course for that I need more money.....
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:45 am

It could be a lot better.

I have over 1,500rds of 5.7x28mm. Mostly SS197 but a few hundred in S4M, SS190, PenetraTOR, and ProtecTOR.
1k in 9mm.
~ 900 of .223.
120 of 380
and 500 .22lr.

I desperately need more 9mm, .223, and 22lr.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:20 pm

I just picked up 160rds of 30-06 AP. First ammo purchase in a while that I felt made me "more prepared""

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:00 am

Oh I could always use more ammo. But I'm picky about my buys locally, the store that does have bulk 5.56 in stock consistently is currently charging .65 cents a round. My favorite store on island, when it's in stock will go between .45-.50. I can still find 500 round .22lr bricks for about $27.

On my short list of shooty stuff I "need".
-.22lr pistol, I'm looking at a 22/45
-Better optic for my AR
-Scope mount for my m1a
-I need to start reloading too...
-More magazines for my mp 15-22

Shooty stuff I want.
-Dedicated trap gun (I currently shoot with my mossy 590, I aint half bad.)
-A good bolt action with a nice piece of glass
-A 9mm handgun, .45 is getting pricey
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:41 am

sworbeyegib wrote:. I can still find 500 round .22lr bricks for about $27.
Hell I WISH I could find it that cheap. Last gun show here the cheapest was around $75
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Shadoq

Post by Shadoq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 am

Depends on what the definition of good enough is for me...

I have:
-AR15
-Maadi AKM
-1903A3
-M1 Garand in .308
-Springfield Operator(favorite handgun I have fired, adding a light really helps with recoil)
-Colt 1991A1 Custom

I feel I am ok as far as arms go, but I really need something in 22LR(upper or dedicated piece) and debating on 9mm. With the current shenanigans I have slowwwly started stocking some 22LR as either a trade item or for my own future weapon.

I feel woefully understocked on ammo however. I am below 1K rounds per weapon system except for .45 and the vast majority of that is FMJ.

On the short list:
-More 7.62X39 HP, RN. I am critically low X<100 rounds of any 7.62X39 bullets.
-More 7.62X39 magazines, would like to try some 20 rounders but haven't been able to source any at what I consider a fair price.
-Spare parts and ammo for the 1903A3 and Garand. The milsurp will dry up eventually as I've seen with other calibers/weapons so I want to have all the spares I could possibly need.
-Something 22LR. Either a CMMG upper or complete 22LR build. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet.
-More 5.56. Currently have 1 "combat load" in magazines, 1 load on strippers, and 1 in boxes. Would like to double or even triple that number.
-Burris AR332. Irons are all well and good but decent optics can't be beat

Long term acquisitions/opportunity buys:
-Romanian Dong grip for the AK. The swell handguards look nice on the Maadi but I shoot better with a forward grip
-More .308/7.62X51. Don't see it happening for a while though. Not paying a dollar plus a pop for mil surp loads. I might as well buy hunting loads at Walmart at that price.
-.45 Spare parts and additional magazines
-More Lancer 5.56 magazines. Love 'em. Work great for me and I'm not a Magpul guy.
-M1A Scout in Mcmillan M2A(dream on) or Colt 901. Would really like a magazine fed .308 MBR to complement the Garand.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 pm

I wish I had a tactical shotgun. I just have a sawed off single shot "Bump in the night" gun. I could use it to bring down deer or birds if I had to though.
In the rifle department I am OK, having an AK and a Winchester 30-30. That gives me a battle rifle and a mid-range sniper rifle.
I have a ruger 10-22 for small game and I have my Glock 27 for EDC and a snub nose 38 for a BUG.

Ammo wise my wife hase been encouraging me to start picking up more so I have increased the stash to where I almost feel it's enough for a short term SHTF, but not extended PAW. If I doubled my current ammount 7.62, 22LR and 40 cal I would really start diverting all my prep money to other things like water storage and power backup systems.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”