SBR (short barreled rifle) FYI

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ben1022
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: WALKING DEAD (its not a movie, but it should be)

SBR (short barreled rifle) FYI

Post by ben1022 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Just an FYI in case any of you decide you would like to get an SBR. I am not going to go into detail on that. But the link below has some great info for those of you that want an SBR, but dont want to make it a Dedicated SBR. (IE an AR or AR style rifle, where you can swap uppers)

when you open it go a little past1/2 way down the page and you will see a letter from the ATF to an individual from another forum I frequent

http://ingunowners.com/forums/class_iii ... state.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JUST BECAUSE YOU READ A REVIEW AND WATCHED A YOUTUBE VIDEO, THAT DOESNT MAKE YOU AN EXPERT

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: SBR (short barreled rifle) FYI

Post by Unorthodox » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 am

This is known.

Register your rifle as an SBR. So long as you have that one lower receiver you can have whatever uppers you want (Make sure you retain the original registered barrel length receiver to return it to the original registered configuration)

The grey area is when you start to have an SBR, non-SBR and several upper receivers.

One SBR lower - One SBR upper: GO

One SBR lower - One SBR upper --- One Std lower - One Non-SBR upper: GO

One SBR lower - Two SBR uppers --- One Std Lower - One [or more] Non-SBR upper(s): Possible NOGO - Constructive Intent possible, Exercise caution (Take the SBR lower and your various Uppers to the range, lock the Std Lower away in a separate safe)

One SBR lower - Two SBR uppers --- Two Std Lowers - One Non-SBR upper: NOGO - Constructive Intent, Pound you in the Ass Prison

This may be overly cautious for some, but I'd like to keep my bumhole an exit only orifice, thx
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 am

Finally found what i was looking for, for all of you wondering just as I was wether the M&P 15-22P (pistol) upper would fit on the M&P15-22 lower (rifle). HERE IT IS.......

JUST BECAUSE YOU READ A REVIEW AND WATCHED A YOUTUBE VIDEO, THAT DOESNT MAKE YOU AN EXPERT

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:22 am

Ben10, do you own any NFA items?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15 am

Doesn’t the S&W M&P 15-22 use proprietary parts and won’t mate with standard AR uppers? Why the hell would you want to SBR that?

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Ben10, do you own any NFA items?

Not currently. Its a game i have been wanting to get into for a while but being in the military and having a wife and daughter, my $$$$ flow isnt all that great. so its been a slow process.

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:54 pm

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:Doesn’t the S&W M&P 15-22 use proprietary parts and won’t mate with standard AR uppers? Why the hell would you want to SBR that?

That is correct, it will not mate with an AR. The only reason i want to SBR it is, its cheap, and i like the 22LR. I already own a M&P 15-22 (rifle) so all i would have to do is buy a M&P 15-22P (pistol) and then slap the pistol upper on the rifle lower (obviously going to have to do all the paper work before hand and pay my tax, ect). But ultimately its a cheap SBR. In total even with todays prices im only looking at about $700ish for the pistol and the tax stamp, VS $1500+ (here in TX) for an AR, and then having to buy a short upper (i want to be able to swap back and forth quickly from short to long barrel if need be) which would run me anywhere from $500 - $1000 in some cases. Then from there i would have to get the tax stamp $225ish. So by they time its all said and done im looking between $2200 & $2700. Like i previously stated, im on a E-4 budget with a wife and daughter. I cant afford to throw 2+ grand at a gun. But $700, is something i can live with.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 pm

$2000 for an SBR? Right, no. Buy pistol with everything you want except the stock. For me, it cost $500, cut I know how to shop and I'm a heartless merciless cunt when it comes to gun shows. If you roll your own or just take your time, you're looking at $700-$900. Add the tax stamp ($200) and fingerprints ($10) then a buffer tube ($30) stock ($5) and engraving ($35? I have no idea, I'm borrowing an engraver) and you're south of $1200.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 pm

What Doc said...

Then get yourself an AR Pistol lower and cut down a CMMG .22 upper and you've got a real caliber + a trainer.

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:$2000 for an SBR? Right, no. Buy pistol with everything you want except the stock. For me, it cost $500, cut I know how to shop and I'm a heartless merciless cunt when it comes to gun shows. If you roll your own or just take your time, you're looking at $700-$900. Add the tax stamp ($200) and fingerprints ($10) then a buffer tube ($30) stock ($5) and engraving ($35? I have no idea, I'm borrowing an engraver) and you're south of $1200.
With todays current prices, YES. Since everyone started the O-Shit sky is falling and started grabbing guns and ammo left and right, I HAVE NOT SEEN A SINGLE AR GO FOR LESS THAN 1500. That being said, I dont want a pistol, if i wanted a pistol style SBR, If i did, I would just buy a stock/conversion kit for my glock and go on with my life. BOTTOM LINE, it is my cash, who the heck are you to tell me what to do with it. $725 is a good number for me. It makes it so if i am running SBR i can still run a long barreled pistol. It basically lets me be completely veristile with my M&P platform.

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:24 pm

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:What Doc said...

Then get yourself an AR Pistol lower and cut down a CMMG .22 upper and you've got a real caliber + a trainer.

That basically what im doing. i already own the 15-22 rifle, all i need to do now is buy the 15-22 pistol, do my paperwork, pay my tax, and then i can swap uppers and lowers till i go limp.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Since you're the guns expert here, would you mind explaining what the difference is between an SBR made from an AR pistol and an SBR made from a rifle?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm

There is no difference going the route that you stated
For me, it cost $500, Add the tax stamp ($200) and fingerprints ($10) then a buffer tube ($30) stock ($5)
, (BTW good luck adding a buffer tube to a 15-22) and thats what im trying to get at, I ALREADY OWN A 15-22 RILFE, IF I THEN BUY THE 15-22 PISTOL I CAN SWAP THE UPPERS AS MUCH AS I WANT. IE pistol lower with rifle upper, rifle lower with pistol upper (SBR). Or i can just config them so they go back to being stock. One otherthing i guess i should note is that I DONT WANT A 223/5.56. I want a 22LR. Is it hurting u that I want to spend my money this way? NOPE. so if you dont like my oppinion leave the thread.

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm

ALSO, never claimed to be a gun expert, your words not mine. and if you are refering to my signature, It is merely stating that a lot of jackasses get on these forums and shit out all this info and give an oppinion that they formulated off of a vid and a review (IE box-o-truth)

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 pm

No dude. I'm saying get a normal AR lower and normal AR uppers. Not the S&W proprietary stuff. Then you can go from 5.56 to .22 to 300 BLK and whatever. One stamp, one SBR AR Lower, + pistol lowers.

What you're talking about is having a .22LR AR SBR. That's all it will be. If you're spending $200 for the stamp why not give yourself some versatility?

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:No dude. I'm saying get a normal AR lower and normal AR uppers. Not the S&W proprietary stuff. Then you can go from 5.56 to .22 to 300 BLK and whatever. One stamp, one SBR AR Lower, + pistol lowers.

What you're talking about is having a .22LR AR SBR. That's all it will be. If you're spending $200 for the stamp why not give yourself some versatility?

I get what you are saying, but i have to level with. I really dont want a 223 or a 22LR conversion, or 308, or w/e. Not because i dont think they are effective rounds. I just dont need them. I like the 15-22 platform. it performs very well IMO. I cant hunt big game with a rifle where i hunt (OHIO) so i really have no use for it. (i do have a 30-06 in my father-in-laws gun cabnet in ohio, so if i ever need to use it i can) The only reason i have the 15-22 now is for target practice, rabbit, squirrel, groundhog, and coyote. But i also have a 10/22 also. SBR'ing the 15/22 would just be a shats and giggles thing.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 am

ben1022 wrote:Finally found what i was looking for, for all of you wondering just as I was wether the M&P 15-22P (pistol) upper would fit on the M&P15-22 lower (rifle). HERE IT IS.......

Interesting you 'found' something that looks eerily similar to what I posted here: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0#p2333830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Judging from your forum title, perhaps this quote will help you in your stay here at Zombiesquad:
Read More; Post Less
Now, back on topic:
ben1022 wrote:all i need to do now is buy the 15-22 pistol, do my paperwork...
I would advise you follow the reverse of that. Follow the law, get your Rifle engraved, do the paper work, get the stamp...THEN buy the pistol and swap uppers. In that order.

The risk of Constructive Intent isn't worth a 'toy'
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

ben1022
BANNED

Post by ben1022 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 am

I would advise you follow the reverse of that. Follow the law, get your Rifle engraved, do the paper work, get the stamp...THEN buy the pistol and swap uppers. In that order.The risk of Constructive Intent isn't worth a 'toy'
Good advice, (which i will probably follow, depending on my cash flow) but honestly, The ATF would have to prove that I "intend" to construct an SBR illegally. Which would be an up hill battle for them. I am fairly certain i have made it clear that i wasn't going to construct an SBR illegally in multiple posts on this forum alone. (this isnt the only forum i frequent if that shocks anyone). There is also nothing illegal about owning both a 15-22 rifle and pistol, regardless of parts compatibilities. LOL if that was the case every person who owns a ruger 10/22 rifle and a 10/22 charger would be facing charges.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:23 am

FSM, somebody close this thread.

Remember kids, capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:03 am

Ten Eight wrote:FSM, somebody close this thread.

Remember kids, capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
win
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 am

ben1022 wrote:Good advice, (which i will probably follow, depending on my cash flow) but honestly, The ATF would have to prove that I "intend" to construct an SBR illegally. Which would be an up hill battle for them. I am fairly certain i have made it clear that i wasn't going to construct an SBR illegally in multiple posts on this forum alone. (this isnt the only forum i frequent if that shocks anyone). There is also nothing illegal about owning both a 15-22 rifle and pistol, regardless of parts compatibilities. LOL if that was the case every person who owns a ruger 10/22 rifle and a 10/22 charger would be facing charges.
SWEET LORD JESUS DOOD, STOP. No, the ATF doesn't have to prove constructive intent if you have an unregistered rifle lower and pistol upper just hanging around. That is the definition of constructive intent. I work for the Federal Govt. and I've discussed this with the ATF.

It's not constructive intent is, as you stated, you own complete guns. Incomplete guns, swapping upper and unregistered lowers is unlawful. Discussing it in the abstract is pretty hinky AND saying the ATF has to prove it is hinky as well. Chill out dood, ZS isn't the place for 'thumbing the eye' of the ATF. Really, move on to a more sedate subject, one that doesn't involve felonies.

You don't own NFA items and you don't know what you're talking about.

Go work on your BOB, food storage and and post pics. Really, stay in your lane.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 am

This shit is hilarious. Please dude, post more posts! Everything I've seen is gold! :lol:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:47 am

Gold indeed. Gecko45 might have a place on his team for this guy.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Just in case Mr. "YOU MAY KNOW A LOT ABOUT GUNS, BUT I GUARANTEE YOU THAT I KNOW MORE" doesn't know who Gecko45 is:

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”