It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sub $500 Gun Safe?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am 

Hey all,

Since this is an evolving market segment, I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me on the current state of affairs. I'm looking for a sub $500 "gun safe" or RSC if you prefer. I understand the security limitations of this price tag, but I don't want to pay for more security than I need.

Requirements are as follows:
-$500 price
-15+ capacity
-electronic lock
-local pick up in GA (no shipping costs)

So what are the thoughts of the hive mind on this?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Sub $500 Gun Safe?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:39 am 

feedthedog wrote:
Hey all,

Since this is an evolving market segment, I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me on the current state of affairs. I'm looking for a sub $500 "gun safe" or RSC if you prefer. I understand the security limitations of this price tag, but I don't want to pay for more security than I need.

Requirements are as follows:
-$500 price
-15+ capacity
-electronic lock
-local pick up in GA (no shipping costs)

So what are the thoughts of the hive mind on this?

I'm not sure what's out there that meet all your requirements. Stack On has a line of cabinets that I'm pretty sure get at or near the size you want, but I think they all use keys. I saw a new line from Liberty a while back that Cabalas started carrying called the Provault. Definitely seemed sturdier then the SnapOn cabinets. Though I believe they all had combo locks. You might have to budge on one of your requirements. Don't forget to check your local craigslist and any similar sites for a deal on a used safe. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by alptraum on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:41 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-16-Gun-Combination-Lock-Matte-Hunter-Green/20753930

I hate electronic locks, but that's just me. Remember that the weak point of your RSC is not the lock, it's the hinge and the weight. Honeslty, very few burglars will fuck with the lock on a $500 gun safe when they can use a wrecker bar or rotozip, or just drop it and beat the doors with a sledge hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:43 pm 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-16-Gun-Combination-Lock-Matte-Hunter-Green/20753930

I hate electronic locks, but that's just me. Remember that the weak point of your RSC is not the lock, it's the hinge and the weight. Honeslty, very few burglars will fuck with the lock on a $500 gun safe when they can use a wrecker bar or rotozip, or just drop it and beat the doors with a sledge hammer.

Exactly right. The gun safes I saw broken into during my career, I can't recall any of them that were through attacks on the lock. Sometimes they just steal the whole "safe".

Hide it as best you can, put it in the corner of a closet, etc., and bolt it down. Then don't tell anyone you have it. Most home burglars don't bring tools to get into a decent gun safe. You're far more at risk from someone who is aware of the safe, someone doing work in your home, kid's friends, etc., or the people they tell about it. Then they come prepared to get into it, or to force a family member to open it.

I often drive by houses that have gun "safes" in their garages, that are displayed to the world every time they open their garage doors. Morons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 pm 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

I am utterly incompetent with mechanical dials, so it would take me dozens of tries to get into one. The point of the electronic lock is to reduce my personal frustration. My house is on it's way to getting a UL label, so I just need something reasonable.

I've been hitting up craigslist regularly, but nothing has popped up in the last month.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'd learn the combo myself. Horror stories about electronic locks abound. Your call though, but stack-On is the way I'd go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:33 pm 

feedthedog wrote:

I am utterly incompetent with mechanical dials, so it would take me dozens of tries to get into one. The point of the electronic lock is to reduce my personal frustration. My house is on it's way to getting a UL label, so I just need something reasonable.

I've been hitting up craigslist regularly, but nothing has popped up in the last month.

You're probably going to be looking at one of the Stack On security cabinets that use keys then. I'm not aware of anything in your price and size range that uses an electronic lock, at least not new.

Example = http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-Conv ... t/14710130

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm 

Looks like I can drive out past Ft Benning and get one of these from Gander Mountain http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stack-On-16-Gun-Security-Safe-with-Electronic-Lock&i=444169&aID=510J7B&merchID=4006#reviewsInfo

Only weighs in at a meager 168lbs.... At least it has an electronic lock and hols 16 long guns.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:30 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

feedthedog wrote:
Looks like I can drive out past Ft Benning and get one of these from Gander Mountain http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stack-On-16-Gun-Security-Safe-with-Electronic-Lock&i=444169&aID=510J7B&merchID=4006#reviewsInfo

Only weighs in at a meager 168lbs.... At least it has an electronic lock and hols 16 long guns.

Go craigslisting and spend the change (whatever's left after taxes and what from your $500 target) and buy some weight plates, or find some bulk lead scrap and make ingots to put in the bottom an dadd some heft once it's in place. Bolt it to the floor, if possible, and limit access (narrow but deep spaces, where you can't swing an axe or sledge hammer, or wrap a chain around it) as much as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm 

True that, but I was also lamenting the heft of the construction. Naturally, you get what you pay for, but I guess that I expected to get a bit more.

Looks like $550 gets you 360lbs here http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-ts6026e-challenger-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1027670

I think I'm going to keep looking around. Perhaps I need to change the criteria.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

No matter how much it weighs--anchor it down. It's easier to get into if it can be maneuvered onto it's back. It's also easier to steal if 3-4 guys can just heft it onto an appliance dolly.

Anchor it down and don't make a safe your only onion layer of security.

Also, get insurance.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Another option: that 20,000 rounds of .22LR you should have? Store it in the bottom. I can understand if you can't anchor it (apartment, rentor) but if you can, do. Put that shit in the basement, in a closet under the stairs and anchor it. Then make it bottom-heavy to add to the difficulty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 pm 

Dave_M wrote:
No matter how much it weighs--anchor it down. It's easier to get into if it can be maneuvered onto it's back. It's also easier to steal if 3-4 guys can just heft it onto an appliance dolly.

Also, get insurance.

I'll bolt whatever safe I buy to the floor and two walls. It will live in a closet, and require stairs to get it out of the house. There are fences on every side of the house that are locked from both inside and out.

Also, I love insurance, and that's why I don't really care about getting a fire safe. I want to keep bad people from getting my guns and using them to hurt others. Ammo will be kept in an adjacent locked container. The only loaded guns in the house will be kept in a pair of quick access pistol safes.

As far as layers of security go, I'm on it. Everything is pairs:
Security door + real door.
Lexan + security filmed glass.
Alarm + cameras.
Big dog + bigger dog
etc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Choo Choo

feedthedog wrote:
My house is on it's way to getting a UL label.

What's that mean?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm 

Phoenix David wrote:
Choo Choo

feedthedog wrote:
My house is on it's way to getting a UL label.

What's that mean?

A joke that I had already invested a ton into home security. I'm working on getting to that "RSC" rating!

Quote:
UL Underwriters' Laboratories (UL) - UL is a non-profit, non-bias agency that tests and rates the safety and performance of consumer products. Safes that have earned specific UL ratings will carry a UL label which designates the product's security and fire-protection ratings.
Net Working Time - This is the UL term for testing time which is spent trying to break into a safe using tools such as diamond grinding wheels, high-speed drills with pressure applying devices, or common hand tools such as hammers, chisels, saws, and carbide-tip drills. If a safe has been rated with a 30-minute net working time, (TL30), the rating certifies that the safe successfully withstood a full 30 minutes of attack time with a range of tools.
Theft resistant - This rating means the safe provides a combination lock and minimal theft protection.
Residential Security Container rating (RSC) - This UL rating is based on testing conducted for a net working time of five minutes, on all sides, with a range of tools.
TL-15 rating - The TL-15 rating means the safe has been tested for a net working time of 15 minutes using high speed drills, saws and other sophisticated penetrating equipment.
TL-30 rating - A product carrying the TL-30 security label has been tested for a net working time of 30 minutes with the same types of tools mentioned above.
TL-30 x 6 - The TL-30 (30-minute) test is conducted on all six (6) sides of the safe.
TRTL-30 - The TRTL rating designates a safe which successfully resisted 30 minutes of net working time with a torch and a range of tools which might include high speed drills and saws with carbide bits, pry bars, and other impact devices.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 am 

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-ts6 ... ty-1027670

I bought one of these at Tractor Supply a few years ago. They are frequently on sale for less than $500. I believe it will meet all your requirements. One of the holes for the handles wasn't tapped, which kinda pissed me off, but was easily remedied. I think for the price it is hard to beat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:40 am 

Keep in mind anything that'll store 15 guns and cost less than $500 is going to be so flimsy a thief will be into it in just a moment or two using simple tools like a lot of us EDC. Anything in that price category is NOT for security, it's solely for covering your ass with respect to liability.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 am 

In order to get to my safe, you need to make it through one of two reinforced doors (both with door alarm sensors) and a hand full of motion sensors. By the time you got to the safe, I estimate you'll have tripped the first of the alarms at least 3-5 minutes prior (depending on how long it takes you to get through the "improved" doors) and more realistically, 6-8 minutes after entry. I have this safe, bolted to the floor and to the wall behind it in my basement. Based on reports from the local PD, from the time they receive the alarm company's call, average response time is 10 minutes. If the perp knows exactly where my safe is, had the tools to defeat one of the two doors, they would then have 2-7 minutes to get into my safe. I have been preparing for the 19 year old who came in looking for jewelry and Play Stations, not the Ocean's Eleven team. Given my AO, 99.9% of the BGs don't know how to get their way into a wet paper bag.

I got the safe on sale for $499 and am thoroughly impressed with it.

Given my current setup I feel like I would have to spend A LOT (maybe 4x as much) to have even a marginal increase in security.

Despite what many who have spent thousands on a safe will tell you, $500 safe>no safe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:17 am 

I'll also agree with the Stack On suggestion. You can get them at most sporting goods stores or Walmart. If money is no object is it the best option? No, but If you bolt it down to the floor/wall and keep it locked, it will stop your typical knucklehead, and at least significatly slow down most burglars.

Any safe is better then no safe at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:28 am 

Skip that crap and save up $500-600 more for a real safe. I'd rather just stash an AR behind my bedframe than rely on a Stack-On or cheap ass rsc, considering any kid with a crowbar or breaker bar could have all the contents within minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 am 

Dave_M wrote:

Also, get insurance.

Yeah. I have my safe loaded down at the moment, but I've been thinking I need to do this. I just need to convince the woman that I need to drill through her new hardwood floors...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 am 

Don't forget if this is your first safe purchase you can write it off on your taxes. So that $500 price point can realisticly be 20-35% higher depending on your tax rate and still only cost you $500 in the long run.

(the safe may have to be fire rated to qualify, but I'm not positive on that)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:25 pm 

Keep your eyes open and just wait for a deal. I bought a Liberty Centurion 24 for $480 when they came out with new features. Electronic locks was a no go for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 pm 

IanSouth wrote:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-ts6026e-challenger-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1027670

I bought one of these at Tractor Supply a few years ago. They are frequently on sale for less than $500. I believe it will meet all your requirements. One of the holes for the handles wasn't tapped, which kinda pissed me off, but was easily remedied. I think for the price it is hard to beat.

I almost bought this safe was pretty solid.