What's your "firearms philosophy" for your battery?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

What's your "firearms philosophy" for your battery?

Post by AKFTW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 am

I was just thinking today about my M.O. when it comes to firearms- or at least when I re-booted my arsenal. I have to admit- I love tinkering, customizing, and upgrading my guns. I appreciate quality aftermarket parts that enhance a firearm. I also like inventive solutions to problems.

So when assembling my defensive firearms battery, I went with no frills, inexpensive variations of time-proven designs that are legendary in their reputations for reliability.
-AKM
-Glock 17
-10/22

Then I spend hours and days researching, reading reviews, looking at other people's setups, and determining what my needs are, i.e. what I want this firearm to do, and get the best choice of parts I need to get the job done. I will often put several times more than the initial cost of the firearm back into it in aftermarket components and upgrades- but I prefer it this way because I get to select exactly what parts and specifications I have in my own custom guns, rather than what someone else's ideal configuration is. I also tend to stick with an aesthetic theme for the collection, which changes over time. And sometimes my needs change- going from folding stock to collapsible magpul, precision iron sights to tritium BUIS and a red dot, for example. My collection is constantly evolving, but I still keep to the guiding principles of:
1. Reliability
2. Performance
3. Quality components
4. Preserving the original Manual of Arms for the given weapons system.

What's your take on the question?
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Re: What's your "firearms philosophy" for your battery?

Post by Nightwing » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 am

will I look cool taking over a Walmart with this.... :ohdear:

P.S Don't really have one. But I will say my next weapon will be a built from frame up 1911
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:20 am

Ask: "What do Dave_M and Matt E. use?"

Then purchase those items... :wink:
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:21 am

Also forgot to add: Cheap guns, LOTS of ammo! :clap:

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:27 am

Commonality of parts that make the gun affordable to own.
Reliability. Guns that don't work are just wall hangers.
Accuracy. Reliability doesn't mean crap if the gun is 10 MOA.
Ease of use, ergonomics.
Availability. I love the Hk93, by far my favorite gun, accurate, reliable, tough as an anvil but for some odd reason mags are $90 which is unacceptable. They're mags, not beanie baby collectables*. The closest second in line to the Hk93 is the AR15. Almost as reliable (I never have had a malf with my Hk93s), superior ergos, lighter and by far more user serviceable. I can and do build AR15s in my garage, nothing else is as versital.
I went Glock because I can likewise completely brake down and reassemble on my kitchen table. They're very good shooters, granted there are better shooting guns however none are more reliable. To me, the gun must be all things, not just excel in one attribute while failing at another.

*Come to find out, the majority of Hk users are just like Beanie Baby collectors. It's really kind of creepy. They keep everything in wrap, lust after and spend way to much money on anything Hk; calendars still in wrap, paying way too much for parts for guns they'll never own. I just find it lame because I like Hks but the "collector" aspect just pushes the Hk out of reach for most shooters. And the snob factor in the Hk community is just lame. Cool, whatever but then they turn around and claim epic reliability and durability. Really, how would you know, it's still in the wrapper. :|
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:21 am

Reliable, accurate, good ratio of effectiveness to weight, user serviceable.

Inexpensive; ammo/parts/mags/accessories.

Available; gear/training/22lr trainer.

Unless a firearm is for a specialized task, it should have or be all the things I listed above. I am willing to accept that, there are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in the philosophy I subscribe to, however.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 am

Towards having three sets of guns.
  • User gun category built entirely around defense and hunting with an emphasis on accuracy, reliability and being commonly available. These are the ones that I use all the time over and over again. Most of these are stupidly accurate. Nothing goes into this category unless its capable of one hole accuracy. These are also the ones I'm best with and since I get the most trigger time behind them it shows.
  • Customs, family heirlooms and older/antique collectibles that function fine. They get taken to the range periodically, but some are too expensive/nice to get run like dogs and so they're only going to the range a few times a year. Some might say 'guns are tools' and they'd be right, but they're also nice to look at and many times they're historically important.
  • Fun guns where I check out what they're like including new designs and that may or may not end up in the permanent collection. If I really like them and they serve a niche purpose then I keep them, if not then I turn around and sell them and buy some other fun gun which might again in turn end up staying.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

firebee

Post by firebee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:55 pm

The thing I'm most conscious about is making good use of my time and mental energy -- secondarily money, if that emerges as a significant factor separate from time and energy. Value comes in coverage of probable uses, entertainment, and aesthetic appreciation. Negative value elements include ergonomic problems (I'm left eye / right hand and have some RSI, so this gets complicated) and hassle with legal restrictions (which makes me leery of EBRs and to an extent full size handguns).

A good example of how this plays out is my Sig P239, which basically covers the entire "defensive" category for me. It is something of a "middle of the road" choice in that category -- I could cover that with a pocket gun, a full size gun, and a home defense long arm, each if which would cover a smaller niche more optimally, but then I would have three guns to practice for instead of one. Result: dilution.

The rest of my "battery" firearm slots are .22 rifle and pistol (covered by my 10/22 and 22/45), centerfire rifle (currently open, and causing me a bit of angst), and shotgun (marginally categorized as "battery" and covered by my inherited 1100).

I do have non-battery firearms; as the left-eyed martial artist descendant of a fair number of righty Texan outdoorsmen, I've inherited quite a number of items that are neat but don't quite work for me and I stand to inherit a great many more such items (hopefully in the far future). Plus which I did buy an Uberti Cattleman that has no intended use beyond sensual enjoyment, but I don't make a habit of doing that.

For the rifle slot I'm looking for something that is entertaining to shoot at the range, covers most big game hunting in my area, is usable off both shoulders but primarily the left, has something of a nod to self-defense capacity (although this as more of a romantic notion of zombie defense than any real use), and is preferably outside of the target zone of the current silly season (as having many bloodsucking insects in my closet makes me irate). If I can get over its crankish nature and my lack of .308, this may be a Gunsite Scout -- else, if I can reconcile myself to omg heavy, perchance a M14-clone.
All knowledge is worth having.
The price of knowledge is pain.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 pm

You can never have too many guns or too much ammunition. Multiple calibers is not an issue. Just get more ammo for the guns that use it. Have backup guns in common calibers. Have backups for those too. Have enough firearms and ammunition on hand to mount an insurrection or invade a medium-sized Banana Republic.

-Mb

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Ak-74
Moss berg 590
Springfield xd 45

Reliability, ease of use, relatively inexpensive..
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Can't say I stuck to any specific philosophy when buying my guns. Here is what I own and why, more or less in the order I got everything.

Remington 597- Cheap .22lr practice. No mods done to it, just a basic scope (simmons .22mag). Looking back I shoulda bought a 10/22, but I have no problems with this gun.

Mossberg 590- My first "defense" gun. For years this was my primary HD gun. Not many modifications to it, just a side saddle, and I took off the heat shield. Recently its been being used as a trap gun, and I'm happy to say I'm not bad with it.

Mosin nagant- Had a hard on for surplus bolty. The mosin was the cheapest, and had the easiest ammo to find on island. No real rhyme or reason other than that.

Marlin 336ss- My hunting rifle. This was actually more an impulse buy, I had been looking around at marlins and such before, but when I walked into the store that day, I had no idea I'd be walking out with it. I got stainless steel because this is Hawaii, and everything gets wet. No mods, just a simple sling and a scope. I don't like the buckhorn sights on it, and once I get a good pair of ghost rings sights I'll probably go back to shooting it irons only.

Xdm45- I was late into the handgun game because I always had my fathers guns to shoot at the range. Since we don't have ccw here, and I had been using my shotgun for HD, this was put on the back burner for awhile. I got it full sized since I wouldn't need to be concealing it. I got it in .45 because we have a 10 round handgun mag cap, and I have more friends that shoot .45 than 9mm. No mods, just extra magazines, 5 in total. This is now my primary nightstand gun instead of my shotgun.

Springfield m1a national match- Oh boy... a little back story. Growing up I had always been a "gun nut". I had a subscription to guns and ammo, and had plenty of books and such about military arms history. At about the age of 10 I saw/read up on the m14. It became my very favorite gun. Whenever I played war with friends, the m14 is what I imagined I carried. I was young, and very much in love. Fast forward about 14 years. I had a very good friend buy a m1a national match, we went out shooting and I fell in love again. About 4 months later he buys a SCAR-H, and the springfield becomes a safe queen. About a month later hes short on cash and wants to sell his gun for $1000 even. He was originally going to drop it off at the store for consignment, but he was much happier when I told him I'd buy it, and keep it "in the family". I guess you can say its my guilty pleasure gun that I got for a steal of a deal.

My ar-15. Its a Daniel Defense m4v4. I never bought into the piston ar craze like my dad and cousins did, I'm perfectly happy with a DI gun. Not too many upgrades so far. I put on a BCM gunfighter charging handle, a magpul MOE grip, a bad lever, and a magpul ms3 sling (which I only ever run as a two pointer, I shoulda just got the vtac or ares...). My Dad bought me a magpul AFG, but I decided I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, so I use the stock VFG it came with, but will probably end up getting a stubby or some hand stops instead. My philosiphy is simple for this one, keep it light and easy. I've got an eotech xps on order at a local store, and thats going to round it out for now. I'm sure I'll add a light later on, but for my applications its not really needed.

My .22 ar- I have a SW15-22 that I use as a training/cheaper analog to my regular ar. I have it set up with the same iron sights, grip and stock as my regular AR. Other than being a few pounds lighter, I want it as similar as possible. The thread here on ZS with the carbon puddin is what put me over the edge to give this a shot.

Umm, this became way more than I meant to type... Anyways those were my thoughts behind most of gun purchases. I don't have any random one of guns, these are all pretty mainstream with solid reputations. They all fit a certain need I had, and wanted to fill. My next gun purchases are all pretty thought out as well. An o/u shotgun for proper trap shooting, a ruger .22/45, and a glock 19. But realistically I'll put the glock on a farther backburner so I can build up my m1a with a decent mount/scope first.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Lately it's been "ooh shiney" with a bit of "this will be fun" and "I'mma do bad things to this" in the mix.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:14 am

Reliability, ammo commonality
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 am

Ones I train/practice with the most.

CCW is an HK4 in .380(+.22lr kit) in summer or a CZ83 in the winter.
AR-15 + CMMG .22lr conversion kit, true cowitness cheap red dot, BUIS, and white light.
EAA witness +conversion kits for .45acp, 40sw, 9mm, and .22lr.
Rem 870 3 1/2 inch super mag +4 ext, Rem Police over folder stock and a white light.

I use a revolver to practice my double action trigger work. Keep the finger strong and hand steady.
PTR-91 when ever I can get to the 300 meter rifle range.

Everything else is just for collecting and fun.

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm

My basic philosophy is to have the best setup one can afford, in available calibers, then to expand as needed and affordable.

Shotgun first--it does a bit of everything, and for most urban/suburbanites, it's all the range you need. A five block rifle shot will be hard to justify as "self-defense." Reliable pumps or even singles on a budget, autos if you can afford them.

Handgun for carry second. Whatever you're comfortable with is best.

Rifle. Mosin or Mauser on a budget, SKS, AK or AR when you can afford them. Make sure everyone in the family can swap ammo, mags and spare parts.

.22 rifle and handgun for additional practice.

Then support weapons--FAL or something else that can put out rapid heavy fire to pin MZBs down. AR or AK pistols, PPSs or real subguns for suppression. .416 or .50 for long range impact.

After that, you can NEVER have too many pump 12 gauges, Mosin Nagants, .38 revolvers, Glocks and 1911s.

And a few more ARs and AKs never hurt anyone.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

1. Duty-grade handgun (compact, or at least concealable)
2. Reliable, semi-auto centerfire carbine
3. .22 rifle
4. Shotgun
5. Second duty-grade handgun
6. Second semi-auto rifle

For me, the first priority has to be a reliable, concealable handgun. For non-military uses in the developed world, a handgun is the most practical self-defense tool one can own, because it's the only one you can actually carry. A handgun available when I need it is more useful than a "better" weapon sitting at home.

Next, a good rifle. AK, AR, et cetera, depending on what platform you're training on or willing to train on. A quality carbine is what I want in my hands if I know I'm walking into a gunfight or a gunfight is coming to me.

A .22 rifle is next on the list because it takes care of practical, quiet hunting. Small game is (usually) easier to find that large game and almost all of us can afford enough ammo for a .22 to have a serious stockpile. Also good for pest and nuisance animal control. As a last-ditch choice, a semi-auto .22 rifle can make a decent self-defense weapon.

The shotgun is low on my priority list. Anything I need to do I can do with the first three, but in some situations a shotgun is the best tool for the job. I like shotguns for "truck gun" duty, because with a variety of loads a 12 gauge is capable of everything from self defense to large game hunting to small game and birds. Not the ideal tool for most jobs, but it has it's place.

The next two are backups, in case the two primaries go down or are lost in some way.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:17 pm

For me I feel I need:
1. A handgun that I'm comfortable carrying but that still packs enough punch that I'm comfortable using it.
2. A 12g shotgun, can be used for home defense as well as all sorts of hunting.
3. A center fire carbine like an AK or AR.
4. A .22 rifle, my favorite is the 10/22.
5. A hunting rifle, something in .308, .30-06 or similar, probably a bolt gun with good glass.

I can't think of any need I would ever have that those guns couldn't cover, and anything on top of those is just gravy.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm pretty much with the OP lately, I've just tried to get down to the basics with a Glock 19, an AR, an 870 clone in 12 gauge and a Mosin-Nagant. I've sold/traded a couple of the oddballs (mostly for monetary reasons). I have to admit though that handled a couple of lever guns this week, and I think one (in .357) will find its was my way soon. As my budget improves, I'll add more fun stuff.
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:05 pm

My philosophy is simple. I build a battery of weapons based on effectiveness, reliability, durability, maintainability, and ease of use.

It evolves based on technology.

For example, years ago my defensive battery was a Ruger Security-Six .357, Savage 30-06 bolt gun, Nylon 66 .22 and an Ithaca model 37 pump 12ga.

Today, I would be at a distinct disadvantage with that set up.

I evolved to Glocks and AK's as common weaponery became all mag-fed.

As ergonomics, optics, and ammo design has advanced, so did I.

Now I have Glocks and AR's with MRD's, hell even my shotgun is mag-fed with a Aimpoint Micro on it.

Even now, I am taking another step forward. I'm building a 8.5" barreled, suppressed 300 Blackout. Not only will it have a MRD of some kind, but I am seriously considering a NV setup.

I don't have range toys, competition only guns, collector items, or safe queens. If it doesn't have a job to do, or if something better at that job comes along, it gets replaced.
WWSD?

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Paladin1 wrote:I don't have range toys, competition only guns, collector items, or safe queens. If it doesn't have a job to do, or if something better at that job comes along, it gets replaced.
This is why I sold the Sub-2000 and GSG-5. Though I suppose now a Sub-2000 would make sense again since I un-foldered the AK. Not like I'll be able to find one anyway :lol:

Still need to finish setting up the 870- I was pretty off base with a few my original mods, but I have a solid plan now.

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:30 am

As with OP, I buy battery guns based on reliablity, accuracy, availability of parts and ammo, and I don't want to change the manual of arms. I do the same thing, tinkering, aftermarket parts, read reviews and pubs on each of them. my guns are solid old stand-by's:
M1A, 1911a1's, 1927a1. I wring out everything I intend to use. they were chosen for qualities which suit the locale i live in. ( The ability to penetrate cinderblock and concrete, knock-down power, long and short range firepower). I went to the gunshop, and actively looked for a rifle I could scope, firing a round with AP qualities, takes surplus parts, accurate as I need it, etc....same with my pistols. My selection changed pretty much each time I moved to a different environment. Now I'm sorta themed....vietnam era stuff, with the field gear to go with it.

I do have fun guns, however, owned for collector value, novelty, and amusement: GSG5SD, XD45s, Broomhandled mauser, flintlock pistols, civil war era percussion firearms, ar-15's, a ton of old soviet dinosaurs, etc..... some of which may also be useful, but not likely.

As an aside: I tried the 10/22, and strongly disliked everything about the mag release, aftermarket included. had several GSG's and found them to be just as accurate ( but flimsy disposable toys) but with more of the features i wanted in a .22....just curious as to what your thoughts are on the comparison, since you also owned both?

PotatoMuncher
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Anything Romero
Zombi 2
etc

Post by PotatoMuncher » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 am

Familiarity
Reliability
Cost (for firearm and ammo)
ZSC:40
Greater New Orleans

RugbyFire
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, planet terror

Post by RugbyFire » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:52 am

I'm finding that being 'Hasty' and relying on my instinctual training works best. Sometimes "the gun smoke" help's sort it out.
oh shit... more Zombies

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:43 am

Simplicity of use and care, familiarity with the platforms and intended use. I have downsized my "collection" in the last few years to the bare basics I see necessary in my AO:

- Rifle #1: M4 Semiauto - I am intimately familiar with the platform having spent eight years in the military. The round is powerful enough for defense and hunting of medium game if necessary.

- Rifle #2: Old .22 Semiauto - this is an old High Standard that will shoot Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles, which gives me a LOT of flexibility. It has a decent 4X scope mounted and shoots like a laser beam.

- Pistol #1: Kahr CM9 - I downsized from a Glock 19 for more concealability and to allow me to carry more often in more places. The Kahr works just like my Glock did and is more accurate than it should be with its short barrel.

- Pistol #2: Walther P-22 - A 22LR pistol or revolver is a must for practice. It also can double as a defensive gun for non-shooters in a pinch. Plus mine has a suppressor (all completely legal!) which makes it great for taking small game without creating a fuss.

- Pistol #3: S&W Model 10 - Mine is an old police turn-in with just enough holster wear to give it personality. Its also been shot A LOT and has an incredibly smooth trigger pull. This makes a great house gun.

- Shotgun: You only need one, especially if it can do multiple things. I have an older Mossberg 500 that came with both an 18" and 28" barrel; defensive and hunting use in one package.
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”