Next firearm help

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

TheWaker43

Next firearm help

Post by TheWaker43 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:14 pm

Looking to purchase something new but not sure where to go. I pretty much have it narrowed down to three. CMP M1 Garand, Remington 700, or Remington 870. Have about to $1000 to spend. If I go with the Garand I would probably get the Special with the new barrel and stock. I don't really care about it being original, just want it to be a shooter. The 870 would be the cheapest and I could splurge on getting it Cerakoted and whatnot. The 700 would be the biggest deal i guess. Probably get a base model and go from there. I kind of picture the 700 being a year project and ending up being the most expensive.

I know this a personal thing but was just looking for votes one way or another. Honestly I will probably end up with all of them sooner or later, so I would love to hear any opinions.

ItsanSKS

Re: Next firearm help

Post by ItsanSKS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:31 pm

TheWaker43 wrote:Looking to purchase something new but not sure where to go. [snip] Honestly I will probably end up with all of them sooner or later, so I would love to hear any opinions.
CMP M1 Garand. Hands down. No question in my mind.

For the following reasons:
1. Finite Supply- they only made so many of these beloved rifles, and they are only going up in price. The CMP is almost out of ammunition, and they are reaching the last of their rifles. At current demand, it is unlikely that the CMP will be able to offer complete M1 rifles 5 years from now, in *any* condition- I cannot say the same about the Remington 700 or 870...
2. If you buy one in .308, you get what amounts to a brand new rifle.
3. American History. No other rifle in the US arsenal has such a rich heritage. Regarded by Gen. Patton as "The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised".
4. Capability. In the hands of a competent marksman, this rifle is EASILY capable of making shots on a man-sized target at, and beyond, 500 yards.
5. Sights. IMO, the Garand/M14/M1A have the best iron sights ever put on a rifle. Simple, repeatable, positive; directly relates to #4, above.

The ONLY downfall to the M1 Garand, is the fact that it is limited to 8 rounds. That said, if 8 rounds on target didn't do the trick, I wouldn't blame the rifle.

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35 pm

What are your plans for the gun, hunting, home defense, range fun?

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:09 pm

The 870 needs nothing else, unless you're like me and needs to mod every damn thing and add forearms, aftermarket stocks, etc. The 700 needs at least decent rings/mount and good glass to make it shine, and there's a ton of stock and trigger upgrades. You will regret it if you get a shitty scope. I respect the Garand, but the 30-06 beats the shit out of me. The cartridges are expensive, it's heavy, can't mod it (I would feel bad if I did). If I found one for a good pre-panic price, I sure as hell would get one though.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm

TheWaker43 wrote:Looking to purchase something new but not sure where to go.
This is ZS, so your question can only be answered with a question: what do you already have now?

Answer then, your question I will, mmmmm?

TheWaker43

Post by TheWaker43 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:41 am

majorhavoc wrote:
TheWaker43 wrote:Looking to purchase something new but not sure where to go.
This is ZS, so your question can only be answered with a question: what do you already have now?

Answer then, your question I will, mmmmm?

Answer I will. :D

Glock's, M&P's, 1911's, a few .22's, some AR's, there actually is a 870 and 700 in house just not mine.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 am

TheWaker43 wrote:Glock's, M&P's, 1911's, a few .22's, some AR's, there actually is a 870 and 700 in house just not mine.
Rem VTR in .308, field/target sling, good glass, quality ammo, training.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 am

TheWaker43 wrote:

Answer I will. :D

Glock's, M&P's, 1911's, a few .22's, some AR's, there actually is a 870 and 700 in house just not mine.

In that case my vote would be for either the Garand or the Remington 700. Probably the Garand because, you know, it's a Garand. :awesome:

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:47 am

majorhavoc wrote:Probably the Garand because, you know, it's a Garand. :awesome:
I have to disaggree, despite the inherent awesome that is the Garand.

VTR with a good optic has more usefulness per pound.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
VTR with a good optic has more usefulness per pound.
Usefulness?

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm

And that is everyone's right. I like my Rem 742 to fill the niche, it does the best of both worlds for me.

Light, accurate, semi-auto, box mag, eats any .308 from expensive target ammo to salvaged LMG belts.

Of the Garand and the Rem 700, I'll take the VTR and work the bolt. Better accuracy, lighter weight, and I can work a bolt dam fast.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Get the Garand from the CMP. The CMP is not going to have these rifles forever and they've been kinda cagey on exactly how many they have left. I expect in a few years there will be a bunch of people saying "I wish I would have got a CMP Garand when they still had them." Don't be one of them.

The other guns on your list will still be available long after the Garands.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:12 pm

I'd say don't get the Garand unless you want a Garand just to have a Garand. There are bolt actions that will do more for less, not to mention some of the semis that lack evil features.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd say don't get the Garand unless you want a Garand just to have a Garand.
^That.

I wanted a Garand when I got out, but the 1st AWB had just passed away, and I was soon buying AK's for less. I'm much happier with AK's as a GP rifle, myself.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Garand...only becuase next to an AK and anothr AR lower...its next on my list
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”