Best owb holster for hiking

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

jbinbi

Post by jbinbi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Mods, if this isn't the correct forum, pls move it....

I am looking for a owb holster with retention for hiking. I have never hiked while carrying, but am thinking I want something that will not get snagged, and also if it does get snagged, not get pulled.

I am not sure what is the best place to carry while hiking, if on the hip or on the leg.

Needing a few extra seconds to get the weapon un holstered is not as critical as comfort and not catching on anything. If it's not comfortable, I won't wind up carrying, which will defeat the purpose.

I was wondering about the holsters with a flap on them, the kind you saw the Germans carrying on their belts with winter gear for ww2? Also, the safari land leg holster, and finally, a blackhawk owb (i have read the reviews and the issues)?

If those with some real world experience want to share it, I am listening! Thanks.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 pm

I usually wear my SERPA. Hasn't caused any issues on 16+ mile hikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Best owb holster for hiking

Post by Unorthodox » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 am

Whiskey wrote:I usually wear my SERPA. Hasn't caused any issues on 16+ mile hikes
Or instead, the Safariland 6377
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 am

My vote goes to The Wilderness Safepacker:

http://www.thewilderness.com/index.php? ... t=171&pg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a gear pouch, isnt type specific, draws easily, can go on the waistbelt of your pack and quickly transfer to your belt when you get where you're going.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:34 am

I use an M12 for my XD. It retains very well. It's cheap too...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:40 am

Go to hillpeoplegear.com and check out their kit bags. Best solution for carrying on the trail that I have been able to find.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

jbinbi

Post by jbinbi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 am

Unorthodox wrote:
Whiskey wrote:I usually wear my SERPA. Hasn't caused any issues on 16+ mile hikes
How does the safari land differ from the blackhawk serpa in it's retention system? I have seen the videos and numerous threads about the serpa and AD when drawing.

kika21

Post by kika21 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:04 am

Blackhawk Serpa for my Glocks and Springfields.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 am

For concealed carry front packs work for me. Look at the Ribz pack, Hills People Kit Bag and the Osprey Grab Bag (this is the smallest pouch only good for subcompacts or snubbies) or any good pouch that attaches to the front of your backpack shoulder straps.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rei.com/product/782056/ospre ... 1b2166becc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ribzwear.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open Carry, for me needs to be a drop leg, but it really depends on the guy, the pack, and the gun. I have a friend who open carries, and attached a blackhawk nylon OWB holster to the waist strap of his pack and he is happy with it. For me though, hiking long distance and doing rock scrammbles, a waist holster with dig into my side and rub the area raw. I used a Drop leg holster and it stopped the rubbing problem, but I find Conceal carry in a front pack just so much better for my needs. You lose some draw speed, but its more comfortable and your handgun will not get banged up or exposed to the elements as much. Also you don't spook out or get hassled by other non-gun hikers.

jbinbi

Post by jbinbi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Mikeyboy wrote: Open Carry, for me needs to be a drop leg, but it really depends on the guy, the pack, and the gun.
Can you tell me which leg holster you used?

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 am

jbinbi wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
How does the safari land differ from the blackhawk serpa in it's retention system? I have seen the videos and numerous threads about the serpa and AD when drawing.
Safariland ALS sytem is a thing you push forwards with your thumb on the side of the holster between your body and the gun. Blackhawk! Serpa is a button on the side of the holster that you push inwards towards the gun with your trigger finger. To me, the Safariland ALS system is extremely effective and "transparent" in that the way I establish a grip on the gun just happens to unlock the retention. I tend to de-holster guns by grabbing the gun with my fingers and "pushing off" the holster with my thumb. This is a perfect motion for the ALS release. The Serpa system scares the crap out of me because it means you're pushing your trigger finger in the general direction of the trigger during the draw. Many, many people manage to do this without shooting themselves in the leg but it still bothers me because of the handful of guys that have actually done so.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm

If you keep your finger straight when drawing from a Serpa, your finger ends up indexed along the frame outside and above the trigger guard, just where it's supposed to be. People get in a hurry and hook their fingers in anticipation before pushing the release button, and that's when they end up shooting themselves in the leg, because their finger slipped inside the trigger guard.

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Or alternately because there was some grit in the action and they had to use a much harder finger press than normal.

I never had a problem with my SERPA though.

My main reason for liking the safepacker is that it's a great multipurpose holster that doesn't freak people out on the trail. It doesnt look like a holster, at all.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same year I've been using one for years and I love them.

I conceals well if needed I have one on my strong left side at the 9 o clock in this picture.

And as you can see I'm still able to use a waist strap and such with out any issues what so ever plus it's very fast on the draw and comfortable.
Absit invidia.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 am

Dawgboy wrote:I use an M12 for my XD. It retains very well. It's cheap too...
Ditto for my G19. The flap is nice to keep crap from falling into the holster, and you can buy an after market thumb break and remove the flap if you want to have faster access to the pistol. You can also buy a couple of different aftermarket attachment methods so you can carry cross chest or drop leg if you desire.

As an added benefit, with the flap attached a casual glance probably wouldn't even pick up that you're carrying. Buy one to match the color of your pack or other kit and it would probably be confused with just another gear pouch. That might not be important to you, but if it is it's a perk.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

jbinbi

Post by jbinbi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:59 am

Unorthodox wrote:
I have been on the safariland web site, holsters.com, and above site you referred to, but can't find the right model number. Trying to see if there is a model for regular size SW M&P9. The link you listed has a great price, the ALS holsters on safariland are all $80+. The model you reference, 6377 is not listed on their site anymore. And I don't know if this is level 2,3 etc. (Their site is very confusing to me, duty, tactical, etc...) Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:44 am

williaty wrote:
To me, the Safariland ALS system is extremely effective and "transparent" in that the way I establish a grip on the gun just happens to unlock the retention. I tend to de-holster guns by grabbing the gun with my fingers and "pushing off" the holster with my thumb. This is a perfect motion for the ALS release. The Serpa system scares the crap out of me because it means you're pushing your trigger finger in the general direction of the trigger during the draw. Many, many people manage to do this without shooting themselves in the leg but it still bothers me because of the handful of guys that have actually done so.
Yeah, its a preference thing. I'm the opposite, I use my thumb to make sure my grip aliment is perfect before I even grip, so I stick that down the side, then wrap my fingers pinky first, then pull. That way i don't have to do any reindexing or adjusting. And the last finger down is my index which touches the release. Which when I tried a Safariland, that technique don't fly at all, and I was firing with a less than perfect grip. ["I hate when that happens", one that didn't feel right unless I reindexed.] But that's me man.

Yes, there are actually draw and shoots that don't allow serpas because of accidents with them. But I think for hiking something that keeps rain/mist out and completely covers the weapon would be something to consider first.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Are we talking casual day hikes or backpacking trips that require the use of a hip belt?

Any conventional OWB option that involves the use of a pack hip belt is a total fail for me. Drop legs are a non-starter for me too. After using a fanny pack for the last few years, I just received a Hill People chest pack and it is the solution I've been waiting for. I can carry a serious sidearm comfortably while getting the most out my pack's suspension and still quickly access my pistol without the deuche-ness of a drop leg.

If you're plan entails dayhikes without the load-bearing needs of a pack, the old green monster (M12 holster w/ flap) is a very viable and cheap solution.

Sigboy has probably nailed the best of both worlds in his ultimate battle/scout belt thread by incorporating his pack's hip belt as a stand alone war belt.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:44 pm

jbinbi wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
While the Serpa is not my first choice, so far 100% of the ND's that I have heard of have been caused by the operators negligence.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

jbinbi

Post by jbinbi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:09 pm

omega_man wrote:Are we talking casual day hikes or backpacking trips that require the use of a hip belt?

Any conventional OWB option that involves the use of a pack hip belt is a total fail for me. Drop legs are a non-starter for me too. After using a fanny pack for the last few years, I just received a Hill People chest pack and it is the solution I've been waiting for. I can carry a serious sidearm comfortably while getting the most out my pack's suspension and still quickly access my pistol without the deuche-ness of a drop leg.

If you're plan entails dayhikes without the load-bearing needs of a pack, the old green monster (M12 holster w/ flap) is a very viable and cheap solution.

Sigboy has probably nailed the best of both worlds in his ultimate battle/scout belt thread by incorporating his pack's hip belt as a stand alone war belt.
I was talking about it in the sense that I had a pack with a hip belt.

Why is drop leg no good?

Also, how does the chestpack work assuming you also have the chest strap from the back pack in use? I sort of had ruled this out becuase of this and was interested in the drop leg more, but very interested in hearing about your experiences. I have not tried any of this yet, so anyone who has has some great info IMO. thanks.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Drop legs are one of those things where you either love 'em or hate 'em. I used a few while in the military and they just never jived with me, especially while footpatrolling for days and during more aerobic activities. I did prefer the more rigid platforms like the Serpa and Safariland rigs out of all the drop legs I had and used.

Regarding the chest pack. I have mine adjusted so it rides mid-torso and my pack sternum strap snaps above it (about armpit level).
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:25 pm

I don't like the drop legs having used them a lot with the military because over time they will chaff the shit out of your leg, also they get caught on stuff real bad, and they sway really bad which kinda throws things off.

How ever they are very fast on the draw. But over all I would prefer a good belt mounted holster over a drop leg, or even a chest mounted option.
Absit invidia.

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 pm

crypto wrote:My vote goes to The Wilderness Safepacker:

http://www.thewilderness.com/index.php? ... t=171&pg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a gear pouch, isnt type specific, draws easily, can go on the waistbelt of your pack and quickly transfer to your belt when you get where you're going.
I agree with this message. I have been using my Safepacker for 2 or 3 years, never once had someone call me out on it (and i live/hike in areas where if people knew i was carrying they would freak out and jump off the cliffs j/k).
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

K31

Post by K31 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Been using the M12 for years in the Florida swamps. Great retention, great protection, relatively snag-free squeezing between trees and brush.

Dame aca, cono que a los mios los mato yo!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”