Firearms Chat: [2021 - Thank you St. Benitez!]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Firearms Chat: [2021 - Thank you St. Benitez!]

Post by NT2C » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:09 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:56 pm
So I read through the ATF proposed law changes on pistol braces and man, it's convoluted. Combined with a "even if it doesn't meet he criteria, if the manufacturer or marketting infers shouldering, it could qualify anyway" at the end it's gonna be an interesting enforcement.

I have two AR pistols for deer hunting, since my state has an Alternative Methods season where you can use pistols, and both would be redefined as rifles by the new regs. That's disappointing. I mean, I can use a 44 mag revolver for pistol season, but 50 Beowulf out of a 12.5" barrel provides a greater opportunity for a fast and humane harvest.
I'm not seeing this as a big departure from F-Troop's usual way of doing things, where they can change their mind and classify things differently on a whim.
With ZS shutting down these forums on July 1st most of the cool kids have moved to a brand new site:

www.ufozs.com

It's not ZS, it's ... different. 8-)

See you there!

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:46 am

PistolPete wrote:
So I read through the ATF proposed law changes on pistol braces and man, it's convoluted. Combined with a "even if it doesn't meet he criteria, if the manufacturer or marketting infers shouldering, it could qualify anyway" at the end it's gonna be an interesting enforcement.

I have two AR pistols for deer hunting, since my state has an Alternative Methods season where you can use pistols, and both would be redefined as rifles by the new regs. That's disappointing. I mean, I can use a 44 mag revolver for pistol season, but 50 Beowulf out of a 12.5" barrel provides a greater opportunity for a fast and humane harvest.
I'm real tempted to grab another pistol brace lower "just cause." But childish defiance is playing at least a small part of that temptation, so I signed up for a wilderness first responder course instead.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
https://ufozs.com
You'll find us here.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:32 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:09 pm
PistolPete wrote:

I'm not seeing this as a big departure from F-Troop's usual way of doing things, where they can change their mind and classify things differently on a whim.
on that theme, they also tossed in a line about braced firearms that use shotgun ammo as being shotguns, not being "firearms". one sentence to go from a legally purchased firearm to a felony.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:11 am

emclean wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:32 am
on that theme, they also tossed in a line about braced firearms that use shotgun ammo as being shotguns, not being "firearms". one sentence to go from a legally purchased firearm to a felony.
Yeah, if that bit gets adopted then it creates instant felons for people who don't know the law changed.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:13 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:11 am
emclean wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:32 am
Yeah, if that bit gets adopted then it creates instant felons for people who don't know the law changed.
There's a very important 'common use' verbiage on the recently overturned Kali 'assault weapons' ban that will can be used to overturn this ATF opinion with hundreds of thousands of braces in use in the USA. It's the only reason the NFA passed in 1934 was because no one had those types of class III's back then. Literally. That couldn't pass now with SBRs, SBS, and suppressors on it since they are common use tools even with the class III registration and tax requirements of 1934.

But there's so much science on those NFA rules that just don't make sense to me. For example the VFG rule for pistols. Reason they are banned for use on pistols: because pistols are designed to be used with one hand. Someone tell me any basic pistol training class or instructor, who doesn't start everyone with the two handed grip on a pistol. :roll: So no VFG, then the brace is invented, but noooooooo, you still gotta shoot like Jack and Joe from the 70's.

When are 'the people' going to legislate the AFT into a bureaucracy that does NOT MAKE LAWs they can then enforce? When was the last time your local LEO made up something to enforce?!? They can try but they'd fired for that.
  • LEO: I'm sorry miss, but I've outlawed yoga pants within 100 yds of a school. I'm going to have to take you in for that first class felony. Don't tell me you didn't hear about that, ignorance is no excuse.
    LEO: Mr. do you know that car is in violation of my POS act? I'm going to have to arrest you and impound your vehicle.

ATF1: What's on the agenda after braces?
    ATF2: All guns finished in the colors black, grey, FDE, or Green, or any combination of those colors will be illegal if not registered and taxed within the next 30 days.
    ATF3: NO, I wanna do the 'you can't use two hands on a pistol' rule next, 'cause the shouldering the brace thing worked, so lets do the one handed pistols only and ride that wave.
IMO though, there shouldn't be any such need for braces since SBRs, SBSs, and suppressors are also, and have been, common use tools for military, police and civilians for at least the last 30 years.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:51 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:45 pm
Nice looking Ruger :wink:
Yeah, that one belongs to GaryMalibou, an old forum member.

I always liked the old-skool folding stock, but with a few modern upgrades.

The Horde has left these parts and shambled over to www.ufozs.com

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:10 am

Just a learning point:

.38 Spl is running $1.00/rnd on average. Or more. It seems clear either makers are not prioritizing the round or....there are so many people buying it up that there is a heavier demand vs supply pressure than for 9mm.

That is not something I thought would happen. I can't believe my supply of .38 reloads would be such a valuable use of my time.

Right now, reloading 9mm I save $20/hr vs buying.

For .38, I save $40+/hr vs buying.

For .357, I save $30/hr vs buying.

This world is nuts.

Reloading .38 and .357 has always paid more than reloading 9mm. Right now, if you have the components, it really pays to reload. But I'd not calculated the actual savings per hour. Pretty wild.

In the past, the economics for reloading .357 was better than reloading for .38
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:27 pm

@woodsghost I’d not looked at it that way either… Now I feel even better about upgrading my reloading bench with a bunch of stuff from inline fabrication!

Now to convince the accountant (wife) that we can’t afford NOT to buy a new semi-automated progressive press! LOL.

This past year has once again shown the reality of prepping…if you don’t have it in hand when “it” happens (whatever “it” happens to be, you’re not likely going to get it. At least not cheaply or easily…. I hope folks are watching ammo and component prices too; they’re very, very slowly returning to something resembling what we used to call normal. I don’t think it’ll be as cheap as it was three years ago for some time though…if ever.

More to the point, Having a skill like reloading, the ability to grow your own food (land and the skill sets), etc. in the first place exponentially increases your ability to function in that capacity vs. relying on others or the market.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:57 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:13 pm
IMO though, there shouldn't be any such need for braces since SBRs, SBSs, and suppressors are also, and have been, common use tools for military, police and civilians for at least the last 30 years.
the problem goes back to MIller, and that no one showed up to defend his case to the SCOTUS. no one was there to tell the court that NFA weapons were used by the militia.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”