Firearms Fails: The Wall of Shame

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RoneKiln

Re: Firearms Fails: The Wall of Shame

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:38 am

There's a thumbtack in a wall at my parents they'll never get out. Over 30 years ago I superglued it in to hide a near quarter inch hole I put there from across the room in a moment of extreme childish negligence. :oops:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:11 pm

WORST. RANGE. TRIP. EVER.

Decided to try a state-run sighting-in range that was supposed to be just 35 minutes from my house. Before I even got out of my driveway I spilled a bottle of tea all over myself and the front seat of the Jeep. Then my two GPSs (one built-in the other in my phone) both got lost and kept driving me in circles and insisting some guy's private driveway (marked as such on the gate) was a public road. Eventually, my phone discovered a way to get where I needed to go that didn't involve the man's driveway. Pulling into the place I had a long drive down a dirt road that was more potholes than road and I damn near peed my pants on some of the bumps until I pulled over and watered some bushes. Finally arriving at the place I see some restrictions not mentioned on the state website. Like bench shooting only, no standing, and no steel targets. Not having ever been there before and being unable to locate my big 3'x3' sighting in targets, guess what I'd brought? That's right, a 1/2" AR500 spinner that weighs about 20-25lbs. (which I dropped on my thumb trying to get to my rifle case it was stacked on top of in the Jeep) and some Caldwell target stand/kits more suited to rimfires at 25 yards than centerfire rifles at 100. 40 rounds of 7.62x51 later I still didn't have a clue where I was hitting. The ground was too damp to kick up dust and even at 14x I couldn't see if I hit the paper, then my scope fell off. I'd never finished tightening down the scope mounts. :gonk: :oops: Never did hit paper with that rifle.

Time to switch to my AR.

90 rounds later, I had about 10 on paper in the top right corner. I just had no idea if I hit there with my BUIS or my red dot, because I'd tried the BUIS in their new location and discovered they sucked there. I'll need to make some changes to them and I definitely don't like trying to use them bracketing the red dot sight. Then the range closed.

So, at current fuel, ammo, and permit prices (had to buy a state permit online to use the range, and no one was there to see it) today cost me a little over $200, a smashed thumb (probably gonna lose the nail), and 5 hours of my time to accomplish this:

Edit to add my Google timeline. Look where my damn GPSs took me!

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:12 pm

Well, when the zombies come, just remember to shoot for the groin.

...so you'll headshot the one to the right.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:35 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:12 pm
Well, when the zombies come, just remember to shoot for the groin.

...so you'll headshot the one to the right.
If my thumb didn't hurt so much right now ... :evil:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 pm

Wow, so the range we went to when you came to Texas doesn't seem so crappy after this one now, huh ?

I mean, it still sucks compared to most other ranges, but at least we didn't get lost on the to it and you didn't smash your thumb.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 pm
Wow, so the range we went to when you came to Texas doesn't seem so crappy after this one now, huh ?

I mean, it still sucks compared to most other ranges, but at least we didn't get lost on the to it and you didn't smash your thumb.
And I hit what I was aiming at! :crazy:

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 pm

C.F. Phelps - same place I went to play (once). Not too bad of a range, but the GPS didn't know how to get there. :v:
Tony D Tiger

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:11 pm
WORST. RANGE. TRIP. EVER.
[...]
40 rounds of 7.62x51 later I still didn't have a clue where I was hitting.
[...]
I had a fishing trip like that once. Not to derail but only one of the problems encountered was the outboard fell off the boat out in the middle of nowhere in the glades.

OT:
Before my first real range trip, for 'target practice' I just shot in the wilds for fun. The everglades, limestone quarries, my back yard, and not really at bullseyes. Wasn't keen on range rules. So many many ago when I really needed to precisely site in an expensive optic, i went to a range about 5o miles and 2 tolls away. But couldn't see the hits at 100 yards because the site in target was white background with black gridlines. I had brought a 10x bino but that wasn't good enough. So I had to do a group of about 20 rounds before I could make out the group during the first hot line.

Luckily it was a multi range range so on the next cold line I had to move the target in to 25 yds and then do the calculation for site over bore. Hot. Cold. Then moved it back out to 100 yds to confirm.

After that trip I ran out immediately and bought a 10-40x60mm spotting scope and splatter targets. This exact square splatter target works great out to 300yds but you'd still need the spotting scope. I usually box 4 of these on a larger sheet of paper and each target has 5 bulls to go for. IME the longer the range the longer the Hot and Cold intervals so its good to have a lot of targets to shoot at.

On that same trip I brought a girlfriend and I caught her loading 22LR backwards into the tube mag on my bolt gun.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:19 pm

My very nice 10-30x50 Barska binocs were home of course, lost somewhere in my garage as we try to pack and move. Ditto for my 30-90x90 Barska spotting scope.

(though I suspect the scope might be buried on the table in front of my power tool shelves)

ETA: I did find out last night that the rail I'd installed on my BM59 is way the fuck off. This was discovered by the simple expedient of a string pulled taut from the front sight post through the peep hole in the rail and looking at how the string travels down the "U" channel. The rail itself is not parallel with the bore of the gun and I was probably hitting about two feet high at 100yds. :oops:

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:20 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:19 pm
My very nice 10-30x50 Barska binocs were home of course, lost somewhere in my garage as we try to pack and move. Ditto for my 30-90x90 Barska spotting scope.

(though I suspect the scope might be buried on the table in front of my power tool shelves)
Barska makes some 7x50 binoculars I'm considering because they are cheap and supposedly marine grade. What do you think of Barska gear?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:43 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:20 pm
NT2C wrote:

Barska makes some 7x50 binoculars I'm considering because they are cheap and supposedly marine grade. What do you think of Barska gear?
Barska is one of those manufacturers that makes both really, really good gear and mediocre gear at a far lower price point. But, even their low priced gear is reasonably good. They make a spotting scope that I bought a long time ago which I think was about $30 which was pretty damn good, as good as some of the higher dollar telephoto lenses I used on my cameras back in the 70s and 80s. Their zoom binocs that I have are okay, I've spotted a lot of birds with them and checked many a tower-mounted antenna with them after and during storms. It was how my local radio club confirmed a broken support on their 2M repeater antenna without having to hire someone to climb the tower. Considering the antenna is/was at the 350' level on the county's 450' public service tower, that's pretty good in my book. A pair of their roof prism 7x50 binocs should be excellent. Oh, and their lens coatings are top-notch and really help.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:48 pm

I've got a Barska .22lr scope I picked up for like 10 bucks at a local store that was going out of business.

My eyesight blows thanks to astigmatism (I'm seriously considering getting Lasik this year) and despite that, everything is clear as crystal when I look through it.

Only problem is I don't have anything to mount it on (I've got a 10/22 I could mount it on, but I like using the iron sights on it) so right now it's just sitting in a drawer by my desk.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:02 pm

My greatest firearm moment of shame was around 1990, sometime after I got my first rifle. A friend and I went to a favorite shooting spot, which was a dead-end road in the hills on the outer edge of suburbia. We had gone there many times. Well. Um. Uh. It wasn't a dead-end, or at least some yokel in a jeep found a way to get where we were shooting. We saw each other at the same time. No one was hurt, nothing was damaged and a valuable lesson was learned by all.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:04 pm

Boy, I'm just failing all over the place these days. So I'm trying to fix the problem with the Picatinny mount on my BM59 and I realize that I can't find the instructions that came with the mount and I didn't scan them and save them as I should have. Double failure. :ohdear:

Okay, I should be able to find them on the manufacturer's site... nope! They have a good sized area for downloadable manuals, including a double entry for their M14/M1A mount, but none for the BM59, so I have to email them. The good news is, they promise a response in 12 hours or less.

Evidently, that does not include weekends, national holidays, and Tuesdays. There was a response in my email bright and earlyish this afternoon though so I now have a saved copy of the instructions. Now, where's my blue thread locker? Ah, there it is, next to my computer's UPS, peeking out from underneath that folded up piece of paper... which is the missing instructions I needed almost a week ago. :oops:

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:17 pm

In one of my old houses, there's a crescent shaped dent in the wall of what had been my bedroom. :oops:

Reason for that is I accidentally launched the top cover of my old SKS into it once while field stripping it.

I had forgotten to let the bolt go forward because I had it locked back so I could clean the barrel. So in a moment of stupidity, I pushed the cover pin out of the way and then BAM, the top cover flies off with some serious force behind it.

It whizzes past my head, which I had fortunately moved just seconds before launch thus saving myself from a concussion or worse, and smacks into my bedroom wall, leaving the aforementioned crescent shaped dent.

Now whoever lives there is forever going to be wondering just how that dent got there.

At least they will unless they're on ZS and find this thread. :lol:

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:39 am

NT2C wrote:

ETA: I did find out last night that the rail I'd installed on my BM59 is way the fuck off. This was discovered by the simple expedient of a string pulled taut from the front sight post through the peep hole in the rail and looking at how the string travels down the "U" channel. The rail itself is not parallel with the bore of the gun and I was probably hitting about two feet high at 100yds. :oops:
Check the rail, see if you bought/received a canted model?

I know a lot of long-range setups have a built-in like 20MOA cant.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:39 am
NT2C wrote:

Check the rail, see if you bought/received a canted model?

I know a lot of long-range setups have a built-in like 20MOA cant.
Mine adjusts 0-60 MOA cant and I was pretty sure I had it set correctly but... :oops:

Current Weather in My AO

RadioShooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Book of ELI

Post by RadioShooter » Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 am

In the middle of April, I change my AR 300BO from optics to iron sights. The reason is when the outside temperature is over 85F and the humidity is high, scopes get massive condensation when you go outside. You can wipe the scope lenses off, but the water comes right back until the temps normalize. Makes the rifle almost useless for immediate self defense. I took off the scope, put on the irons which should have been on zero. A couple of shots showed up 3 inch and left 3. WTF!!. Adjusted it in with 6 more shots. Took off on my backwoods walk. While resting on a downed tree, I looked at the rear sight and it was not flush on the rail. Well darn. Back at the house, I took it off and re-installed it. Then It took another 6 shots to roll it back in. DUH. Wasted ammo in a time when 300BO is not exactly plentiful. Hope Remington ammo goes back on the market soon.
RadioShooter
Lord of the Unkept Yard

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”