Firearms Chat: [2021 - Aw, sorry to hear about your boating accident!]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

boskone

Re: Firearms Chat: [2021 - Aw, FFS! BOHICA]

Post by boskone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 pm
So my quest for a 1911 in my AO continues.
I'm kinda tempted to buy something like a Springfield Defender as a project gun. Or a Range Officer, and turn my Springfield into a project gun. I think I'd like to have a rust blued 1911.

I'd like to shake some time loose to do some experimentation with rust bluing on my crappy old NEF shotgun, but I have way more projects than time right now.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:40 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Stopped at three different shops today (ok, so two were actual gun shops and the other was Academy) and neither of them had a 1911 I liked. One shop had a couple Les Baer 1911s, but I'm not quite at the point where I can drop nearly 3k on a gun just yet.

The other shop didn't even have any 1911s, so they referred me to the shop with the Les Baer pistols.

Academy had a single Springfield Armory 1911, but it was the basic milspec model and I'm looking for one of the upgraded models. The guy behind the counter suggested I stop by again in about 2 weeks because they were supposed to be getting a shipment of 1911s and there's supposed to be an upgraded Springfield Armory 1911 in that shipment.

So it looks like I'll be heading back to Odessa in about 2 weeks and hopefully then I'll be coming home with a nice 1911.

All else fails, I get on the notification list for Aim Surplus for whenever they get more Tisas 1911s in.
Classic has it: https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imp ... t=Tertiary

https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imp ... t=Tertiary
They do, but unfortunately that's not the model I'm looking for.

The one I'm looking at has forward serrations on the slide, an ambi safety and Novak style sights. Basically the upgraded version of that 1911.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:40 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Stopped at three different shops today (ok, so two were actual gun shops and the other was Academy) and neither of them had a 1911 I liked. One shop had a couple Les Baer 1911s, but I'm not quite at the point where I can drop nearly 3k on a gun just yet.

The other shop didn't even have any 1911s, so they referred me to the shop with the Les Baer pistols.

Academy had a single Springfield Armory 1911, but it was the basic milspec model and I'm looking for one of the upgraded models. The guy behind the counter suggested I stop by again in about 2 weeks because they were supposed to be getting a shipment of 1911s and there's supposed to be an upgraded Springfield Armory 1911 in that shipment.

So it looks like I'll be heading back to Odessa in about 2 weeks and hopefully then I'll be coming home with a nice 1911.

All else fails, I get on the notification list for Aim Surplus for whenever they get more Tisas 1911s in.
Classic has it: https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imp ... t=Tertiary

https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imp ... t=Tertiary
They do, but unfortunately that's not the model I'm looking for.

The one I'm looking at has forward serrations on the slide, an ambi safety and Novak style sights. Basically the upgraded version of that 1911.
The sights and safety should be a pretty easy retro.

The forward serrations are an issue, but aside from maybe making press checks easier I'm not sure they'd be a huge loss? I couldn't even remember if mine had 'em, so I guess they're a non-feature for me.

(It does. I apparently press check wrong, because I put my thumb behind where the serrations are anyway.)

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 pm

For me it's more a matter of extra cost. For the amount of money I'd end up spending adding the extras, I could save myself some hassle and just get the upgraded model from the get go.

That way I'd have the gun the way I wanted it and could use the leftover funds for ammo and magazines.

I could do the work myself, but I'm not as confident on doing so as I'd like. So I'd end up getting a gunsmith to fit the parts for me and that cost can add up.

ETA: And as soon as I said this, I go check Classic's website and find they have the exact model I'm looking for in stock.

But it's currently 10:44 PM in my AO and I can't order the gun until tomorrow. And with my luck, they'll be sold out by the time I go put some money on my card to purchase it. :gonk:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:28 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 pm
For me it's more a matter of extra cost. For the amount of money I'd end up spending adding the extras, I could save myself some hassle and just get the upgraded model from the get go.

That way I'd have the gun the way I wanted it and could use the leftover funds for ammo and magazines.

I could do the work myself, but I'm not as confident on doing so as I'd like. So I'd end up getting a gunsmith to fit the parts for me and that cost can add up.

ETA: And as soon as I said this, I go check Classic's website and find they have the exact model I'm looking for in stock.

But it's currently 10:44 PM in my AO and I can't order the gun until tomorrow. And with my luck, they'll be sold out by the time I go put some money on my card to purchase it. :gonk:
Yup, out of stock at about 0430 your time, Chimp. :(

I'm not a fan of those sights but I do like the rest of it for that price point.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:28 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I'm not a fan of those sights but I do like the rest of it for that price point.
Well, looks like I'm back to square one then, I guess. :gonk:

ETA: I am not back to square one after all. I lucked out big time. :awesome:

Classic Firearms still had one in stock when I called to check and after a quick chat with one of their CS reps, it is now on it's way to my FFL. Now to wait for that phone call and I'll once again have a 1911. :clap:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:20 am

Congrats, Chimp! :clap:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:08 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 am
NT2C wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:28 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Well, looks like I'm back to square one then, I guess. :gonk:

ETA: I am not back to square one after all. I lucked out big time. :awesome:

Classic Firearms still had one in stock when I called to check and after a quick chat with one of their CS reps, it is now on it's way to my FFL. Now to wait for that phone call and I'll once again have a 1911. :clap:
:clap:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:44 pm

Thanks, y'all. :D

It'll be a few days before I get it (7 to 15 days to be exact, according to the Classic Firearms CS rep), but I'll let y'all know when it arrives.

Now to just buy a bunch of 1911 magazines and possibly some new grips. The grips will have to wait until after I have the gun in my hands, though. I'd hate to order a set and then find they don't fit my particular gun.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:11 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:44 pm
Thanks, y'all. :D

It'll be a few days before I get it (7 to 15 days to be exact, according to the Classic Firearms CS rep), but I'll let y'all know when it arrives.

Now to just buy a bunch of 1911 magazines and possibly some new grips. The grips will have to wait until after I have the gun in my hands, though. I'd hate to order a set and then find they don't fit my particular gun.
The description says it takes all standard 1911 parts and accessories. Grips should fall in there somewhere.

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 pm

It's kinda stretching "firearms", but close enough since it's a standin during the ammo shortage:

I have an airsoft 1911, original pattern. It's decent, about as good as one can hope under the circumstances. However, airsoft has a lot more force than I thought, and I chipped my back door shooting through about 4 layers of corrugated cardboard. So I bought a sticky target, and set it on a file cabinet in my hallway. Now I can shoot at it while sitting at my desk. :mrgreen:

Since my faux-1911 is CO2, though, I should probably look for an electric or something.

Also, it has really crappy sight, GI style. The back is dovetailed, but front is riveted in...plus I'm hesitant to buy sights for a $100 faux-gun. Kinda debating painting the front sight's ramp white, and maybe the upper bit of the rear sight's ears.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:52 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Looks like they use the Swenson style of ambi safety, which has a tab that extends under the right side grip panel. So long as the grips you buy state that they can be used with an "ambidextrous safety", then they should come with the notch for the tab on the underside of the right grip panel.....otherwise, you'll have to bust out the Dremel. :crazy:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:16 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:52 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Looks like they use the Swenson style of ambi safety, which has a tab that extends under the right side grip panel. So long as the grips you buy state that they can be used with an "ambidextrous safety", then they should come with the notch for the tab on the underside of the right grip panel.....otherwise, you'll have to bust out the Dremel. :crazy:

I noticed that as well. I'm specifically looking for ambi safety notched grips anyway, so it's not a big deal. Most of what I'm finding is set up that way already.

Speaking of grips, CDNN is having a 1911 parts sale and they've got some nice Timbersmith 1911 grips for about 20 bucks a set.

Once I get my 1911 in my hands, I may snag a set of those or maybe another set of Strike Industries 1911 grips like I had on my old RIA 1911.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Back when I had my 1911 I had a really nice set of heavily checkered walnut "target" grips on it. My brain wants to say they were made by Safariland but the other half is arguing that's wrong. Anyway, they had very aggressive checkering and swells in just the right places to instantly orient the gun perfectly in my hand and put my thumb in the correct position for the controls. I swear, if I could find a pair of those grips again I might be tempted to get another 1911 to go with them.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 pm

I got to handle a set of really nice Les Baer 1911's yesterday and one had a set of grips that filled my hands nicely, but the other had some thin grips that just felt odd.

The gun itself was nice, but the choice of grips just didn't feel right on a full size 1911.

I also got to handle a 10mm Kimber "Super Jagare". Only issue I had with it, aside from the nearly 3k price tag, was the lack of iron sights. It did come with a nice Leupold red dot, though.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:00 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 pm
I got to handle a set of really nice Les Baer 1911's yesterday and one had a set of grips that filled my hands nicely, but the other had some thin grips that just felt odd.
Those Baer guns are extra tight....IIRC, the recommended break-in is 500 rounds, with no cleaning of the gun until you hit that 500 round mark.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:30 am

I really like the feel of G10 grips on a 1911.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:30 am
I really like the feel of G10 grips on a 1911.
I've never tried G10 1911 grips. I've had knives with G10 scales, but never any 1911 grips.

All the ones I've had have been either wood, polymer or rubber.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:18 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I bought a Sig 1911; searched until I found one with a tight slide, then lapped it in over a couple days while sitting on the coach watching tv. After that, I completely stripped it down to replace a couple key components with Wilson Combat parts. Discounting my time, I have under $1,200 in that pistol, but I’d put it up against pistols costing 2x that or more in a heartbeat.

That gun shoots damn near as good as my custom Nighthawk.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: [2021 - Aw, sorry to hear about your boating accident!]

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am

It's been awhile since I've found anything SIG in my AO. Mostly what I'm finding is Glock, Ruger and a lot of Turkish imports.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm

I went to a gun show on a whim this past week end.

I picked up one of these to replace a lever action pest rifle on the farm that is older than me. I use everything from CB caps, short & LR in the lever action. The cb caps are great for quiet short range venomous snake & rat rounds. The ruger 10/22 does not like these low power short rounds.
https://rossiusa.com/firearms/pump-acti ... ck-polymer
I went with the synthetic stock because it came with fiber optic sites vs the nice wood version with the POS Rossi buckhorn sights (I hate buck horn sights).

I put some ammo through it and was amazed at the light short throw throw action (I was expecting it to require a throw stroke like a 12 gauge pump). It seems to work well and groups at "minute of rat" at 25 yards. It takes anything .22 rf (I tried CB cap, short and LR). I paid $254 with 9.5% sales tax for it.

BTW the pictures above are flattering it is even uglier in person. :clownshoes:
Thats ok it will be ride around in the garden cart with the shovel and other tools.

As for the gun show it was packed to the gills only 3 tables with ammo and yes it was expensive as was every firearm in the place. This show was never ever known as great place for bargains.
http://www.slidellgunandknifeshow.com/
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:31 pm

Sounds like the gun shows in Odessa.

There's usually like five or six tables with guns or ammo or anything gun related and the rest is garage sale fodder or flea market junk.

Not sure about the shows in Midland, but I know the ones in Odessa just suck.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm
I went to a gun show on a whim this past week end.

I picked up one of these to replace a lever action pest rifle on the farm that is older than me. I use everything from CB caps, short & LR in the lever action. The cb caps are great for quiet short range venomous snake & rat rounds. The ruger 10/22 does not like these low power short rounds.
https://rossiusa.com/firearms/pump-acti ... ck-polymer
I went with the synthetic stock because it came with fiber optic sites vs the nice wood version with the POS Rossi buckhorn sights (I hate buck horn sights).
Dad's got an old Speedmaster that'll handle shorts, not sure about CBs. But after some playing with my Henry, I'm not sure he isn't keeping an eye out for a lever gun.

If the US wasn't stupid about suppressors, a lever with a can would be a great yard gun.

Buckhorn sights...I kinda hesitate to say. I think that on a proper caliber they'd be fine, but they're a stupid option for a .22; I don't think most people shoot .22s at far enough ranges to use a buckhorn setup, and those who do need something more precise. That said, I hated the semi-buckhorn sights on my Henry so much I swapped in a set of Skinner aperture sights. Slower than the semi-buckhorns, but that's the only disadvantage they have (IMO).

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:08 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 pm

Dad's got an old Speedmaster that'll handle shorts, not sure about CBs. But after some playing with my Henry, I'm not sure he isn't keeping an eye out for a lever gun.

If it will cycle shorts, these CCI CB caps will work. They are simply .22RF short cases with a lead projectile and a smaller powder charge. They are very quiet and deadly to rats and venomous snakes (assuming a head shot) @ ~ 10 yards. These are much better than anything else I used. A .410 or .12 gauge also works as does a .38 spl shotshell but the noise disturbs the animals. These are about as loud as a pellet gun when used in an 18 inch barrel. Obviously they will NOT feed in a 10/22.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/cb/6-26.html
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”