Firearms CHAT: [2020 - Year of the Squib]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:53 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:47 pm
Do you have some paracord? Could always kill some time making a paracord sling. :D
I could, but I don't have enough paracord to make a sling.

I just recently learned how to make a lanyard for my knives, so I've been putting them on pretty much every fixed blade I've got with a lanyard hole. :lol:
NT2C wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:16 pm
The one on mine is padded, glove soft goat leather. I think it as $20 on Amazon
The sling I've got on my PC9 is good, it's just the swivel itself that's giving me grief.

But a few minutes with a file and I got it where it needs to be.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:56 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:53 pm
NT2C wrote:
The sling I've got on my PC9 is good, it's just the swivel itself that's giving me grief.

I've got an Olight PL-2 Valkyrie on mine for illumination and it's giving me a problem. Since that rail section on the forend is so short and the battery door/switches of the Olight hang off the back I had to use a UTC 1/2 riser to bring it up enough to mount the light. All well and good for a year now until just a short while ago when I went to grab it from the corner of my office to look at my swivels. I reached behind the door and grabbed the sling (which is buffalo hide, not goat leather - I misremembered and looked it up) and lifted it, and the pressure of the sling and swivel pressing on the back of the Olight triggered it into strobe mode and blinded the fuck out of me. 1,200 lumens right in the eyes from less than an arms-length away is no bueno! :gonk:

Not ever wanting that to happen again I went looking for a better rail section setup and the best I can find is a 1/2" riser with a 6 slot cantilevered forward rail section that will allow me to move the light forward a couple of slots and eliminate that problem.

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:07 pm

As for a light on my PC9, I'm thinking of grabbing an offset light mount and grabbing another Streamlight Polytac to put on it.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:56 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:53 pm
NT2C wrote:

I've got an Olight PL-2 Valkyrie on mine for illumination and it's giving me a problem. Since that rail section on the forend is so short and the battery door/switches of the Olight hang off the back I had to use a UTC 1/2 riser to bring it up enough to mount the light. All well and good for a year now until just a short while ago when I went to grab it from the corner of my office to look at my swivels. I reached behind the door and grabbed the sling (which is buffalo hide, not goat leather - I misremembered and looked it up) and lifted it, and the pressure of the sling and swivel pressing on the back of the Olight triggered it into strobe mode and blinded the fuck out of me. 1,200 lumens right in the eyes from less than an arms-length away is no bueno! :gonk:

Not ever wanting that to happen again I went looking for a better rail section setup and the best I can find is a 1/2" riser with a 6 slot cantilevered forward rail section that will allow me to move the light forward a couple of slots and eliminate that problem.

Is that rail section a picatinny?

Get a 90 or 45 degree offset rail section and then mount the light to that. That will move the light to the side and out of the way of the sling.

OR the existing sling mount looks like it is just a screw in type. Screw it out [unscrew it], move it back, screw it in. Fill the hole with black silicone or your favorite filler.

OR, get a QD attachment point and drill a 5/8" hole in the stock, on the side or farther back from the light on the bottom, and sink the mount into the hole. Then get a QD sling swivel for the sling. Then you can mount the sling where ever you want. That synthetic stock will take those perfectly. That's what I use on my Benji 392 wooden stock.

this>> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319369949 with this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022464097?pid=443630

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:52 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 pm

Is that rail section a picatinny?

Get a 90 or 45 degree offset rail section and then mount the light to that. That will move the light to the side and out of the way of the sling.

OR the existing sling mount looks like it is just a screw in type. Screw it out [unscrew it], move it back, screw it in. Fill the hole with black silicone or your favorite filler.

OR, get a QD attachment point and drill a 5/8" hole in the stock, on the side or farther back from the light on the bottom, and sink the mount into the hole. Then get a QD sling swivel for the sling. Then you can mount the sling where ever you want. That synthetic stock will take those perfectly. That's what I use on my Benji 392 wooden stock.

this>> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319369949 with this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022464097?pid=443630

Yes, it's a Picatinny. As to using an offset, I considered it but realized that it would make turning the light on a lot more difficult for me. One consequence of many broken and otherwise abused fingers from a lifetime doing construction work is they tend to become very arthritic later in life. My world, welcome to it. My ideal solution would be a 1/2" riser that cantilevered both forwards and back, with a QD hole in the part towards the butt. I'd then remove the swivel stud from the stock, install the riser, and put a QD on the forward end of the sling. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a machine shop to make such a beast (though I bet a lot of Ruger PCC owners would buy one if priced cheap enough) so your suggestion for removing the stud and putting in a QD insert further back has the most merit for me. I should get the new riser with the forward cant tomorrow. If it turns out to not be workable I'll probably do what you suggest.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Doesn't BullonParade here on ZS work in or have access to a machine shop ?

Maybe you could mention that riser idea to him and see if he can machine something for you, NT2C.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Doesn't BullonParade here on ZS work in or have access to a machine shop ?

Maybe you could mention that riser idea to him and see if he can machine something for you, NT2C.
He does, but I just remembered that my neighbor has a Unimat in his shop. I may need to see if he'd let me use it, and if he has the cutters I'd need. Then again, aluminum is soft enough to cut with a table saw or sliding compound miter saw... both of which I own and have thin kerf blades for. :awesome:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Or you could just get a length of rope.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 pm
Or you could just get a length of rope.
Look around...

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 pm

So, has anyone else added up how much they'll owe the Gub'mint if we end up having to get a $200 stamp for each "assault weapon" and a $50 stamp for each "hi-cap" magazine?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:34 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 pm
So, has anyone else added up how much they'll owe the Gub'mint if we end up having to get a $200 stamp for each "assault weapon" and a $50 stamp for each "hi-cap" magazine?
Well, between the extras that I sold off at my yard sale and then that very unfortunate boating accident months later, I figure I should be good to go. Maybe that boating accident wasn't quite as unfortunate as I thought.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:12 pm

RickOShea wrote:
The only commentary I have on the subject is sufficiently for polite company that even you guys count.

:wink:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:32 pm

RickOShea wrote:
The less I say on this subject, the less chance of me raising my blood pressure to unsafe levels.

There's also a lot less chance I'll say something that'd make even R. Lee Ermey blush.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:41 pm

According to my calculator, I could just about buy a new compact car (base model).
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:32 pm
RickOShea wrote:
The less I say on this subject, the less chance of me raising my blood pressure to unsafe levels.

There's also a lot less chance I'll say something that'd make even R. Lee Ermey blush.
"Never try and tax an angry chimp's banana mags." - Me

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:26 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:32 pm
RickOShea wrote:

"Never try and tax an angry chimp's banana mags." - Me
I think that's how the original "Planet of The Apes" movies started.

Not a virus like the remakes or whatever the cause was in that awful Mark Wahlberg one (I call that one "Marky Mark and the Monkey Bunch" as a parody of his music career :lol: ).

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm

Well, I got my timing shim kit in from Midway yesterday and spent about 30 minutes or so trying to figure out a combination of shim thicknesses that would work on my PC9 muzzle brake.

SureFire doesn't label their shims by number or anything simple like that, so it makes it interesting trying to figure out a good combo. Despite that, I was able to find a combo that worked and I now have a properly timed muzzle brake on my PC9.

Didn't even need the little tube of Rocksett they include. Just a bit of blue LocTite and it's on there pretty tight.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:50 am

Ammoland.com - ATF Singles Out 23 SB Tactical Firearms Braces that Do Not Have Determination Letters

AmmoLand News has just received documents as part of an FOIA request that our team recently submitted to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) after the Agency’s recent Honey Badger pistol brace fiasco.

The ATF turned over documents, first to AmmoLand News, that alleged the popular pistol brace company SB Tactical had misinformed the public about its pistol braces’ legality. The ATF claimed that, despite repeated ATF warnings, that specific SB Tactical Brace models are not, in fact, braces, but instead, stocks that turn pistols into illegal short-barreled rifles in violation of the NFA.

SB Tactical points to two classification letters on its braces, but according to the ATF, SB Tactical continues to market and sell dozens (23 models according to Freedom of Information Documents) of other models not covered by final determination letters. The ATF says that the only two braces covered by the letters are the original SB15 and MPX PSB.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:36 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm
SureFire doesn't label their shims by number or anything simple like that, so it makes it interesting trying to figure out a good combo. Despite that, I was able to find a combo that worked and I now have a properly timed muzzle brake on my PC9.
Weird, each package I've gotten has each washer color coded with a marker mark. Trial and error had to take a while!
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:41 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:36 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm
Weird, each package I've gotten has each washer color coded with a marker mark. Trial and error had to take a while!
Oh, these had color coding on them, but nothing saying what size or thickness shims they were. The packs I ordered from Strike Industries came in little baggies labeled with the sizes, but all I got was color coded washers from SureFire which was the more expensive of the two.

I paid something like 6 bucks for the SureFire shims and like 4 bucks for the Strike Industries ones on Midway USA.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:43 pm

I guess were not getting around to the insertion of the CHAT title.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:03 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:43 pm
Squib round 8-)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:27 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:03 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Squib round 8-)
:rofl:

:clap:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:01 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
In my defense, I couldn't think of anything clever and not offensive.

I'm both blessed and cursed with an odd sense of humor. :lol:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”