Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:08 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:12 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:24 pm
Welp, I hope the defunding/budget cuts a lot of departments across the country are looking at won't adversely affect their equipment selection/availability. :ooh:
Lots of people disagree!

But advocating for better armed or worse armed police isn't a great topic for ZS, so moving on!
Well then, my last words on the topic will simply be...."Good luck with that".
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Claude ham mercy.....Elmer gets his shotty taken away, and then someone comes out with a vewy, vewy, quiet integrally suppressed shotgun.

TFB - Phoenix Weaponry Introduces Integrally Suppressed Shotgun Line

Phoenix Weaponry has introduced a new line of integrally suppressed shotguns currently consisting of two models – Cindy and Eliza. Cindy is their entry-level integrally suppressed shotgun whereas Eliza shotguns have a number of other improvements besides the integrally suppressed barrels. Both of these shotguns feature a true integral silencer system where the suppressor overlaps the ported barrel.

Phoenix Weaponry starts by using the factory shotgun barrel, then removes the sight rib where the suppressor will mount to and machines “sporting clays style” ports into the sides of the barrel. The rear sleeve cap is then installed along with the front suppressor threads and the 6-inch Delta Mono Core suppressor core is then installed. It’s then finished off with the suppressor sleeve and end cap. System total weight ads 17-ounces to the firearm and 5-inches in overall length.

....The Phoenix Weaponry integrally suppressed shotguns are rated to work with pretty much any type of common shotgun ammunition to include birdshot, buckshot and slugs. Although Cindy and Eliza are modified 12 gauge Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 shotguns, upon request, other shotgun brands and gauges can be retrofitted with this system too. In fact, the company claims that their system works “on any pump-action, bolt-action, semi-auto or full-auto shotgun“.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:28 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:05 pm
It could affect the availability of police surplus firearms and gear though, including new but unissued gear, and that would be something to share on ZS. Prepping gets expensive and if wer can save a few bucks buying surplus gear it might help some of us.
One can hope! That's the main reason I keep a .40 cal around, for those times that cheap police and alphabet agency surplus ammo hits the market. And agencies have been stocking up in record numbers in recent years, it would be nice for shooters if police get defunded and have to sell some of that off.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 pm

NT2C wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Welp, I hope the defunding/budget cuts a lot of departments across the country are looking at won't adversely affect their equipment selection/availability. :ooh:
Lots of people disagree!

But advocating for better armed or worse armed police isn't a great topic for ZS, so moving on!
It could affect the availability of police surplus firearms and gear though, including new but unissued gear, and that would be something to share on ZS. Prepping gets expensive and if we can save a few bucks buying surplus gear it might help some of us.
I wish I could be right there, but June *$&@!#% dead livestock, budget-wise, that is. :gonk: :evil:

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:12 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:28 pm
NT2C wrote:
It could affect the availability of police surplus firearms and gear though, including new but unissued gear, and that would be something to share on ZS. Prepping gets expensive and if wer can save a few bucks buying surplus gear it might help some of us.
One can hope! That's the main reason I keep a .40 cal around, for those times that cheap police and alphabet agency surplus ammo hits the market. And agencies have been stocking up in record numbers in recent years, it would be nice for shooters if police get defunded and have to sell some of that off.
Can .40 be run in 10mm guns?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm

I'd love to be able to buy one of those Bearcat armored trucks, but I'll settle for a PD Remington 870 or maybe a couple plate carriers if they decide to surplus those out.

I'm actually kind of curious as to what sort of equipment the PDs would surplus out should they have to.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm
I'd love to be able to buy one of those Bearcat armored trucks, but I'll settle for a PD Remington 870 or maybe a couple plate carriers if they decide to surplus those out.

I'm actually kind of curious as to what sort of equipment the PDs would surplus out should they have to.
Any of the military surplus they received during Bush and Obama has to be returned to the program if they no longer need it. That kept departments from putting in requests for equipment they didn't need and planned to sell off. So likely no Bearcats coming out of local PD's. Check out BulletProofMe.com for police surplus body armor though. They tend to have a regular supply of it. I got some used panels a few years back for testing at the range, it holds up well past it's freshness date in most circumstances.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:38 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm
PistolPete wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Lots of people disagree!

Over the weekend I learned that my gun safe doesn't work while upside down. I was moving it to a more secure location and for reasons of gravity is was easiest for it to be upside down during part of it's journey. Now I know!
And knowing is half the battle. :lol:

Sorry. I've been watching a lot of the old GI Joe cartoon over the past couple weeks.

Hasbro has been showing a livestream marathon of the show on their YouTube channel for like the past two months.

Which is completely relevant to Firearms CHAT.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm

Places that prohibit the otherwise legal carrying of arms should be required, by law, to provide secure storage for visitor's weapons. If I decide to bicycle to the post office to check my PO box I shouldn't have to leave my legally carried pistol home for lack of an automobile to secure it in. Require heavy steel lockers just outside the prohibited area, lockers that can only be used for firearms (either by regulation or by physical design).
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 am

PistolPete wrote:
is that a thing? LEO selling off surplus ammo?
I have never heard of it before

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:10 am

emclean wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 am
PistolPete wrote:
SGAmmo is sitting on a big stock right now. They sold out of one pile. So yes, it happens. UNAmmo also sells any surplus stocks they get their hands on. I'm sure there are others, I just don't check other sellers as often.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 am

emclean wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
Yeah, lots of places sell it. Have you seen that affordable purple .40 S&W and 5.56 that's been around the last couple years? That's all police surplus. Maybe 10 years ago I got two cases of high-zoot LEO marked 357 Sig for $10.50 a box, a distributor picked up pallets of the stuff from a federal agency.

- Mark Twain

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 am

PistolPete wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 am
emclean wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
Yeah, lots of places sell it. Have you seen that affordable purple .40 S&W and 5.56 that's been around the last couple years? That's all police surplus. Maybe 10 years ago I got two cases of high-zoot LEO marked 357 Sig for $10.50 a box, a distributor picked up pallets of the stuff from a federal agency.
The purple stuff is marked as training ammo. I'm not quite sure what makes it a training round though. Same brass case as duty ammo, same projectiles, same bullet weight. All I can figure is they're slightly reduced power but that makes no sense as it would be more likely to cause failures in cycling.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 am
The purple stuff is marked as training ammo. I'm not quite sure what makes it a training round though. Same brass case as duty ammo, same projectiles, same bullet weight. All I can figure is they're slightly reduced power but that makes no sense as it would be more likely to cause failures in cycling.
Some of the purple stuff I have seen was also loaded with "non-toxic" fragmenting bullets specifically designed to make OSHA happy for indoor range use. Which makes sense as practice ammo for agencies. I got a case of the .40 once and it cycled just fine in my gun.

- Mark Twain

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Well, just got surgery on my hand, so time to use the non-dominant hand for shooting for the next 2 weeks or more likely, 2 months. Thank goodness for pistols. I'd sure like an arm brace right now, but oh well.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm
Well, just got surgery on my hand, so time to use the non-dominant hand for shooting for the next 2 weeks or more likely, 2 months. Thank goodness for pistols. I'd sure like an arm brace right now, but oh well.
Good luck, it always feels weird. You may need to adjust your sights as well. I find that I don't shoot to the same POI with my off hand. I try to work in at least one mag each range visit so it feels less awkward.

- Mark Twain

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Good luck, it always feels weird. You may need to adjust your sights as well. I find that I don't shoot to the same POI with my off hand. I try to work in at least one mag each range visit so it feels less awkward.
Slide wracking is tough too, but my current CCW came with steel Vickers sights, so belt wracking is an option. Just need to not shoot my leg. Also, I'm under a regional pain blocker at the moment. Once that wears off at 0130 tomorrow, I'll take my other pain meds. I might find I should not be operating firearms. I won't know until I'm taking them, I'll be safe and stop shooting if the effects are too strong.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10 pm
PistolPete wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Slide wracking is tough too, but my current CCW came with steel Vickers sights, so belt wracking is an option. Just need to not shoot my leg. Also, I'm under a regional pain blocker at the moment. Once that wears off at 0130 tomorrow, I'll take my other pain meds. I might find I should not be operating firearms. I won't know until I'm taking them, I'll be safe and stop shooting if the effects are too strong.
Good luck with the recovery, Woodsghost.

I've never had surgery on my hands, but I have been on some really strong medications that made me not comfortable operating anything more dangerous than a fork.

By the way, why'd you have surgery on your hand, if you don't mind me asking ?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm
woodsghost wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I've never had surgery on my hands, but I have been on some really strong medications that made me not comfortable operating anything more dangerous than a fork.

By the way, why'd you have surgery on your hand, if you don't mind me asking ?
Dupuytren's contracture.

I'm a medical oddity for a lot of reasons. My age (way too young), the extent of area affected, the fact that it is affected 1 hand, the fact that it affected 1 knuckle/joint, the huge amount of garbage tissue the doc had to remove, the fact that this is genetic but almost no one in my family has it (finally found the genetic source), I'm pretty unique.

Having a baby ate up the insurance deductible and most of the co-pay. So we figured this was the year to get it fixed. Turns out, I should have got after it 15 years ago. Oh well.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 pm

I guess the important thing is you've got it taken care of now, Woodsghost.

Hopefully this surgery will fix it and you'll be back to using your dominant hand for shooting soon.

That said, I need to practice my shooting more with my right hand for handguns since I shoot them left handed and my left hand is my dominant one. I shoot rifles and shotguns as a right hander, but I shoot handguns as a left hander.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 am

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm
Places that prohibit the otherwise legal carrying of arms should be required, by law, to provide secure storage for visitor's weapons. If I decide to bicycle to the post office to check my PO box I shouldn't have to leave my legally carried pistol home for lack of an automobile to secure it in. Require heavy steel lockers just outside the prohibited area, lockers that can only be used for firearms (either by regulation or by physical design).
That would make a very convenient place for someone who is illegally armed and with ill-intent to relieve you of your pistol.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:04 am

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
PistolPete wrote:

By the way, why'd you have surgery on your hand, if you don't mind me asking?
Dupuytren's contracture.

I'm a medical oddity for a lot of reasons. My age (way too young), the extent of area affected, the fact that it is affected 1 hand, the fact that it affected 1 knuckle/joint, the huge amount of garbage tissue the doc had to remove, the fact that this is genetic but almost no one in my family has it (finally found the genetic source), I'm pretty unique.

Having a baby ate up the insurance deductible and most of the co-pay. So we figured this was the year to get it fixed. Turns out, I should have got after it 15 years ago. Oh well.
Big Yikes! I just read the WP entry. All I can say is your in me prayers, & you seem to be in good company :wink:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:39 am

yossarian wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 am
NT2C wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm
That would make a very convenient place for someone who is illegally armed and with ill-intent to relieve you of your pistol.
Nah, have them just inside the entrance of each location, not out on the sidewalk. Someplace covered by cameras. I guarantee that if this became law you'd have at least a half dozen different companies marketing a dozen different turn-key systems with decent security features to sell/rent/lease to locations that still want to prohibit but not have to deal with the logistics.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:19 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:04 am
woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

By the way, why'd you have surgery on your hand, if you don't mind me asking?
Dupuytren's contracture.

Big Yikes! I just read the WP entry. All I can say is your in me prayers, & you seem to be in good company :wink:
THANK you very much MP. That means a lot.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”