Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am

I've seen Pelican rifle size new for $165 in my AO. Are you looking for a single rifle case and has to have wheels? with wheels ups the price.

sometimes you can buy a used gun, that comes with a great case, and the pricing will allow you to buy the gun and case and then resell the gun for what you paid for the gun and the case. If that makes sense. meaning you get a free case after you resell the gun.

Or this Pelican $149, no wheels
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pelican ... rifle-case

Are you going to airtravel with this? is that why the wheels? The Poet has advise.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 22, 2020 10:10 am

Yes, on the air travel and yes on the wheels (more because I'm an old fart who walks with a cane and wheels make it easier). Dimensions on the rifle going into the case are 43.25" long by 12" (if I leave the scope mounted) and I want to try and avoid overly long cases. So, with Pelican, the ones that best fit my size requirements are:
  • iM3200 Storm ($273.95 list)
  • 1745 Air Long Case ($359.95 list)
  • V730 Vault ($189.95 list)
The Vault I'm rejecting for a couple of reasons, such as the lock shackle holes being too small for my locks and only having a 1-year warranty instead of their usual lifetime warranty. The other two are a bit outside my max budget of ~$200 (that being the most I think I can get the spousal unit to agree with).

Now, yes, I could go with a longer case (and they are usually less expensive, I guess because they sell more) but when not in use I need to fit this in a closet and shorter is better since the closet is only 48" wide and I'd like the case laying down and stacked with my others, not standing upright. Not a "deal-breaker", just something I'd prefer to avoid.

Those Sportsman's Guide "HQ" cases shown in the video? Yeah, those things (at least in the ham radio community) have a reputation for bad hinges and latches. As he related in the video, hinge pins on those come out pretty easy (and more than one ham has had stuff stolen from locked cases that way) so I'm avoiding those.

I've been looking (online) at some of the cases carried by Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop and I may take a trip to see one in person but it's a 60 mile drive each way for me. Gander is much closer but doesn't have anything that fits other than the Vault line.

Right now my #1 choice is Plano Mil-Spec Field Locker Tactical Long Gun Case with Wheels at $199.49 on Amazon (with free shipping) it just barely squeaks under my budget limit but is perfect for my needs. My #2 choice is Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case 52" at $104.99 on Amazon but it's a very distant second place due to the excessive length.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 22, 2020 12:15 pm

Got my laser rangefinder for my ATN scope today and it was DOA with (apparently) a bad on/off switch (battery tested good under load and was inserted correctly). I haz a sad. :cry:

Amazon is sending a replacement that will be here Sunday and my wife will drop the bad one off at UPS when she does errands this afternoon.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Stuff You Should Know About Buckshot (Part 2) and The 9th Pellet "Flyer"....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm

More about that pesky ninth pellet...

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri May 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Sighted in my H&R 999 yesterday. I got it pretty much just because of its looks. I've always thought top breaks were neat, plus I like the look of the vent rib and that weird little trigger guard extension (which actually just gets in the way of my grip).

On the negative side it has the worst trigger of any firearm I've ever shot. Even the single action pull was not good, which surprised me. Also, the sights are adjusted by loosening a screw on one side and then tightening a screw o the opposite side. It's a bit of a PITA and they constantly want to loosen up. I loctited them, so hopefully they'll stay put now.

Still happy with it as just a fun gun. I might pick up a Ruger Mk IV down the road to be an actual target/hunting pistol. I always shot the Mk II/III pistols well, but I hated dissembling them and my understanding is that Ruger fixed that with their newer pistols.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 22, 2020 8:07 pm

I've got a Mk III Ruger 22/45 Lite and I've yet to disassemble it due to the reputation they have for being difficult in reassembly.

Which is why I'm looking to either sell it or trade it for a Mk IV 22/45 because of their ease of disassembly and reassembly.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 22, 2020 10:12 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:07 pm
I've got a Mk III Ruger 22/45 Lite and I've yet to disassemble it due to the reputation they have for being difficult in reassembly.

Which is why I'm looking to either sell it or trade it for a Mk IV 22/45 because of their ease of disassembly and reassembly.
The difficulty, IMO, is overstated. There's just one little bit--a pivoting pin--that's a bit fiddly.

I do seem to recall that removing the magazine safety and replacing it with a bushing eliminated one disassembly step on my mkIII, though.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:12 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

The difficulty, IMO, is overstated. There's just one little bit--a pivoting pin--that's a bit fiddly.

I do seem to recall that removing the magazine safety and replacing it with a bushing eliminated one disassembly step on my mkIII, though.
I still prefer the ease of the Mk IV models, but that's just me.

If I can find a buyer for my Mk III, I'll probably end up getting a Mk IV. Pretty much everyone looking for guns in my AO either want ARs or 9mm pistols. Not so much looking for .22lr guns.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm
boskone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:12 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I still prefer the ease of the Mk IV models, but that's just me.

If I can find a buyer for my Mk III, I'll probably end up getting a Mk IV. Pretty much everyone looking for guns in my AO either want ARs or 9mm pistols. Not so much looking for .22lr guns.
Don't get me wrong, I'd take a mkIV. I just wouldn't avoid a mkIII.

I have been thinking about buying a mkIV 22/45 Lite, probably with a 10/22 takedown lite, and a can to share.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm

The AR/ AK pistol market has exploded. It is what every Gangsta G and Meth head wants for Kwanzaa.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat May 23, 2020 5:36 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm
The AR/ AK pistol market has exploded. It is what every Gangsta G and Meth head wants for Kwanzaa.
Haven't seen too many AK pistols for sale in my AO. It's usually AR style rifles and cheap 9mm pistols.

Speaking of which, had a local guy try to offload a pair of Jimenez Arms pistols the other day.

I was halfway tempted to offer 50 bucks for the pair, but I figured I'd still be losing money on that deal no matter what I paid.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 23, 2020 6:18 pm

DC has more registered guns per capita than Alabama.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-h ... gmztgmrymi

I LOL'd. Alabama doesn't register guns and the idea that there are less than 100K in the state is ludicrous. Over 600K people in the state have a CHL. CBS News continues to set that high bar in journalism.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Texas doesn't register guns, either.

Not quite sure how many people in my state own guns, but I'm pretty sure it's over 100K as well. I think the last time I checked in this, there were something like 22 or so million gun owners in Texas and many of them owned 10 or more firearms each.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 23, 2020 7:32 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:18 pm
DC has more registered guns per capita than Alabama.

I LOL'd. Alabama doesn't register guns and the idea that there are less than 100K in the state is ludicrous. Over 600K people in the state have a CHL. CBS News continues to set that high bar in journalism.
Look at the first two slides. They didn't include handguns and the relied on the ATF's registration info for NFA items. I don't think they could have done worse if they tried. Oh, and I've purchased ammo at that store shown in the slide for Idaho. :awesome:

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat May 23, 2020 11:59 pm

I've been looking at the 22/45 Lite. It's appealing since I'd like something to take along for grouse when I'm out moose hunting.

On the other hand, I might just go with a Mk IV even though it's heavy since I've always shot the Mk series better than most other .22 handguns and I've never shot a 22/45.

I probably won't get it this year, so I've got time to think about it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 am

quazi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:59 pm
I've been looking at the 22/45 Lite. It's appealing since I'd like something to take along for grouse when I'm out moose hunting.

On the other hand, I might just go with a Mk IV even though it's heavy since I've always shot the Mk series better than most other .22 handguns and I've never shot a 22/45.

I probably won't get it this year, so I've got time to think about it.
Ruger makes a 22/45 Lite in the Mk IV line, Quazi.

I'm looking at either one of those or a Mk IV 22/45 Tactical myself.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun May 24, 2020 1:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 am

Yeah, what I wasn't sure of is if the different grip angle might make me shoot it worse.

I'd try one before buying it but I don't know anyone who owns one.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm

Got my laser rangefinder and installed it on the scope, paired it up and... hot damn is that nice. :awesome:

One press of a button and I get an instant range displayed in the scope and the reticle automatically adjusts to give me a perfect shot while keeping my crosshairs centered on the target out to 1,000m. Sweeeet!

I did have to rearrange the scope hardcase though, to accommodate the extra length and width.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm

That sounds pretty rad. Do they have anything that will also pair up with an anemometer yet?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun May 24, 2020 3:12 pm

quazi wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:57 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Yeah, what I wasn't sure of is if the different grip angle might make me shoot it worse.

I'd try one before buying it but I don't know anyone who owns one.
If you were in Texas, I'd offer to let you try mine out.

I prefer the 1911 style grip of the 22/45 over the standard one. Not sure if it's because of the angle of the standard Ruger 22s or if it's because I'm more used to shooting handguns with the 1911 type grip angle.

It's probably the latter now that I think about it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 24, 2020 3:55 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Looked the Tac model up. Might have to save up suppressor/stamp money.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 24, 2020 3:56 pm

quazi wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm
That sounds pretty rad. Do they have anything that will also pair up with an anemometer yet?
Not yet but... I have weather stations I can get readings from on my phone and pass to the scope using their app. :mrgreen:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun May 24, 2020 4:23 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:55 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Looked the Tac model up. Might have to save up suppressor/stamp money.
I'm actually considering SBR'ing my AR because I'm finding short barrelled AR uppers on sale a lot.

Well, that and I want to dip my toes into the NFA pool and it's a hell of a lot easier to do so with an AR than it is with something like my AK.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”