Does this engraving suck or is it just me?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

moab

Does this engraving suck or is it just me?

Post by moab » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Vice did a short doc on this guy that engraves guns. I think it's super cool that this guy works so hard at this. But no one seems to notice that his engraving skills seem rudimentary at best.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Does this engraving suck or is it just me?

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:40 pm

So if you 'dine in' at the Revolver Taco Restaurant, there'll be a guy over in the corner next to your table in his machine shop tapping in engravings. Texas has relaxed those restaurant regs recently I suppose.

As for the engravings, he did say he felt like an apprentice and if he did this for 500 years he'd feel the same way. And he is using a hammer and chisel, that's very basic tooling.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:05 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:40 pm
So if you 'dine in' at the Revolver Taco Restaurant, there'll be a guy over in the corner next to your table in his machine shop tapping in engravings. Texas has relaxed those restaurant regs recently I suppose.

As for the engravings, he did say he felt like an apprentice and if he did this for 500 years he'd feel the same way. And he is using a hammer and chisel, that's very basic tooling.
I certainly don't engrave. And I'm not an expert on engraving. I've seen a lot of engraving. I do build AK's. and have a fair bit of experience working with metal. I've seen some beautiful engraving before. Albeit not on AK's. lol. But this engraving just looks rudimentary. I seriously doubt he gets 60k per gun. Not even close. I'm not even sure big time engravers get that much. I know Jesse James makes engraved firearms. Not sure who does his engraving. But those go for high dollars. And are ten times nicer than this guys work. Mostly because of his name and design in motorcycles. But this guy just doesn't seem like he's even close to in that league.

Don't all good engravers use hand tools? It doesn't seem like the type of work that could be automated. It seems more like an art form.

Having said that I think this guy is cool as hell. How could you not love a guy who engraves guns for a living out of the back of his sons taco shop. Hell how could you not love a guy that engraves guns at all. It's gotta be a dying art.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 pm

I imagine it appeals to someone

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:32 pm

While it may not have the aesthetic appeal of engraving done by guys like Cuno Helfricht or Louis Daniel Nimschke, it's pretty good for a guy who's probably had zero formal training.

As for him getting 60k for his work, that might be a bit embellished by VICE. I can see a couple grand per gun depending on the amount of work, but 60k might be stretching it a little.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:53 pm

The 60k number might be how much he makes per year, not per gun.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Some of the engravings shown were much better, in my opinion, than others.

However, I have to admit that a lot of it is taste. I'm not big on engraving on most guns, so I'm probably naturally going to be pickier than someone who likes that aesthetic.

As long as it's not my guns, people are more or less welcome to do whatever they want. I would prefer they stay away from guns with historical provenance, though. :)

minengr

Post by minengr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:06 pm

I only have a couple guns I would ever consider getting engraved. Personally, I wouldn't send anything to that guy.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”