Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

boskone

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by boskone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:36 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:24 pm
Ho Ho Ho: The New HK SP5 – Heckler & Koch USA Drops A Real MP5

We have heard the pleas from the American pistol caliber carbine market countless times over the years: “why doesn’t H&K make a semiautomatic MP5 pistol for the civilian market?” Arguably the most iconic submachine gun in history, the H&K MP5 is highly coveted by shooters and collectors alike. However, the majority of authentic 9mm German roller-delayed firearms in the United States are uber-expensive, transferable select fire guns leaving us mere mortals to purchase clones made from parts kits or imports made on older manufacturing equipment. But now, my friends, our prayers have been answered – the HK SP5 is an authentic Heckler & Koch MP5 semiautomatic pistol available to consumers.
Not unexpected, but still disappointed.

From a purely functional standpoint a 9mm AR is in almost all ways better: more parts, better understood, able to use more common magazines, and vastly cheaper.

That said, though, an SP5 would be neat. An SP5k would be extra neat. But not $3k neat.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:53 pm

The rise of the "sig brace" has led to a plethora of compact 9mm sub guns. H&K is just responding to the market and all the competitors who have an edge on them now. With good entry guns under $500 they are going to have trouble making any inroads.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:53 pm
The rise of the "sig brace" has led to a plethora of compact 9mm sub guns. H&K is just responding to the market and all the competitors who have an edge on them now. With good entry guns under $500 they are going to have trouble making any inroads.
True, but I feel they are the truest poster child for "prestige pricing." And the same people who think their AR will kill them in the PAW if it costs less than $2.5K will gladly fork over the money for "something they can trust."
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:54 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 am

:mrgreen:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 am

+1,0000

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 am

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:53 pm
True, but I feel they are the truest poster child for "prestige pricing." And the same people who think their AR will kill them in the PAW if it costs less than $2.5K will gladly fork over the money for "something they can trust."
Weren't we just having a similar discussion in another thread? :crazy:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 am

TTAG - NSSF: Americans Own 423 Million Firearms…And Climbing

The NSSF, the firearms industry’s trade group, has released some interesting production and other interesting numbers they’ve accumulated from the ATF....Americans own well over 400 million firearms (shhh…don’t tell them the real number is probably north of half a billion).

- The estimated total number of firearms in civilian possession from 1986-2018 is 422.9 million, according to data reported in the ATF’s Firearms Commerce Report in the United States 2019 report and including the preliminary 2018 Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Exportation Report (AFMER) figures.

- 17,740,000 Modern Sporting Rifles are in private ownership today. More than half (54%) of all rifles produced in 2017 were modern sporting rifles.

- In 2017, 7,901,218 total firearms were produced and imported. Of those, 4,411,923 were pistols and revolvers, 2,821,945 were rifles and 667,350 were shotguns.

- An interim 2018 estimate showed a total 7,660,772 total firearms were produced and imported. Of those 4,277,971 were pistols and revolvers, 2,846,757 were rifles and 535,994 were shotguns. Those are interim reports and will be updated as complete information becomes available.

- Firearms-ammunition manufacturing accounted for nearly 12,000 employees producing over $4.1 billion in goods shipped in 2017. An estimated 8.1 billion rounds, of all calibers and gauges, were produced in 2018 for the U.S. market.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 am

A couple new offerings from Ruger...

American Ranch rifle now in 6.5 Grendel.

22 Charger with "factory-installed picatinny rail brace mount".

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:29 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 am
TTAG - NSSF: Americans Own 423 Million Firearms…And Climbing

The NSSF, the firearms industry’s trade group, has released some interesting production and other interesting numbers they’ve accumulated from the ATF....Americans own well over 400 million firearms (shhh…don’t tell them the real number is probably north of half a billion).

- The estimated total number of firearms in civilian possession from 1986-2018 is 422.9 million, according to data reported in the ATF’s Firearms Commerce Report in the United States 2019 report and including the preliminary 2018 Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Exportation Report (AFMER) figures.

- 17,740,000 Modern Sporting Rifles are in private ownership today. More than half (54%) of all rifles produced in 2017 were modern sporting rifles.

- In 2017, 7,901,218 total firearms were produced and imported. Of those, 4,411,923 were pistols and revolvers, 2,821,945 were rifles and 667,350 were shotguns.

- An interim 2018 estimate showed a total 7,660,772 total firearms were produced and imported. Of those 4,277,971 were pistols and revolvers, 2,846,757 were rifles and 535,994 were shotguns. Those are interim reports and will be updated as complete information becomes available.

- Firearms-ammunition manufacturing accounted for nearly 12,000 employees producing over $4.1 billion in goods shipped in 2017. An estimated 8.1 billion rounds, of all calibers and gauges, were produced in 2018 for the U.S. market.
Brings a tear to my eye and a puff of pride.

I did my part. All that I could.

Way to go team. Way to go!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:48 pm

I expect this one will get about as far as the Hearing Protection Act...

Guns.com - Bill Would Remove NFA Restrictions On SBRs

According to statistics from the ATF, some 413,167 SBRs were listed on the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) as of May 2019. Such figures have steadily risen through the years as these firearms become more popular and gun owners elect, for example, to legally convert AR and AK-style pistols to SBRs after processing a Form 1 and paying a $200 tax stamp. In 2014– just a half-decade ago– there were only 137,201 SBRs on the books.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 pm

TFB’s Top 10 Sci-Fi Movie Weapons: Part 1

TFB’s Top 10 Sci-Fi Movie Guns Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Including the "Callahan Full-Bore Auto-Lock rifle"....I'll be in my bunk. :awesome:
Last edited by RickOShea on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

I haven't been able to find anything after probably 30-45 minutes of searching, but does anyone know if there was a transit case for M1 rifles? All I could find were a couple display cases, and soft cases.

It's basically just for shits and giggles so I could just copy and modify a generic or Enfield case, but if there's a specific design out there I'd like to go with that instead.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 pm
TFB’s Top 10 Sci-Fi Movie Guns Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Including the "Callahan Full-Bore Auto-Lock rifle"....I'll be in my bunk. :awesome:
My favorite trivia about Vera is that it was based on a shotgun. :)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm
I haven't been able to find anything after probably 30-45 minutes of searching, but does anyone know if there was a transit case for M1 rifles? All I could find were a couple display cases, and soft cases.

It's basically just for shits and giggles so I could just copy and modify a generic or Enfield case, but if there's a specific design out there I'd like to go with that instead.
There was a soft sided case for airborne operations. There was also a wooden crate that rifles were packed about ten to a crate. While some airborne troops carried M1 Carbines most carried Garands.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit ... r-uniform/

https://www.paratrooper.be/reviews/repr ... swold-bag/

The Griswold bag required that the rifle be broken down, a terrible design that was never replicated afterward.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 pm
boskone wrote:

There was a soft sided case for airborne operations. There was also a wooden crate that rifles were packed about ten to a crate. While some airborne troops carried M1 Carbines most carried Garands.

Bummer-ish, I guess. Maybe I'll just make something based on the Enfield boxes, then.

I mean, I have the case it came in and plan to cut foam for that, but thought it'd be fun to build something period-appropriate. :)
The Griswold bag required that the rifle be broken down, a terrible design that was never replicated afterward.
Yea, that does seem like a rather unfortunate decision. While I've never jumped out of an airplane, much less into hostile territory, I would really think you'd want the minimum possible fiddling with your weapon when you hit dirt.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Anti-gun efforts in my home state of Virginia have hit a little snag: LINK TO A VERY POLITICAL ARTICLE

My favorite quote from the aforementioned article is from the sheriff of a neighboring county, a man I've worked with in the past as a ham radio operator. He said:
Culpeper County Sheriff Scott Jenkins wrote:Obviously, if passed, there are many of us willing to challenge these laws through the courts. In addition, if necessary, I plan to properly screen and deputize thousands of our law-abiding citizens to protect their constitutional right to own firearms.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:59 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 pm
Anti-gun efforts in my home state of Virginia have hit a little snag: LINK TO A VERY POLITICAL ARTICLE

My favorite quote from the aforementioned article is from the sheriff of a neighboring county, a man I've worked with in the past as a ham radio operator. He said:
Culpeper County Sheriff Scott Jenkins wrote:Obviously, if passed, there are many of us willing to challenge these laws through the courts. In addition, if necessary, I plan to properly screen and deputize thousands of our law-abiding citizens to protect their constitutional right to own firearms.
Pretty darn cool..... Sic semper tyrannis
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 pm
boskone wrote:

Bummer-ish, I guess. Maybe I'll just make something based on the Enfield boxes, then.

I mean, I have the case it came in and plan to cut foam for that, but thought it'd be fun to build something period-appropriate. :)
Yea, that does seem like a rather unfortunate decision. While I've never jumped out of an airplane, much less into hostile territory, I would really think you'd want the minimum possible fiddling with your weapon when you hit dirt.
Fun fact: the 20 round magazine remains in the Army inventory because an M16 or M4 with a 20 round mag will fit in the M1950 weapon case used by paratroops. A 30 round mag is too long. So hit the ground, unzip the case, chamber a round, and go.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 am

With the vertical foregrip the MP5 could be declared a SBR.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 am

Zed Hunter wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 am
With the vertical foregrip the MP5 could be declared a SBR.
Civilian version? no stock with less than 16" barrel.
It would be NFA regulated, but its a pistol with a VFG. That's an AOW.

Over 16" bbl, w/ or w/out stock, Not regulated.

Permanent stock, less than 16" bbl. but 26" OAL, SBR stamp. But its already an SBR.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open- ... n/download
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Shooting at Pensacola NAS - various wires.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”