Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:39 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:59 pm
Since 350 legend is basically a 9mm extra long, and 450 Bushmaster is a 45 extra long, we need to straight wall the 6.8 SPC case and make a 40/10mm extra long to keep the caliber wars going.
That would be the .400 Purdey and the .401 Winchester Self-Loading. There is a reason why these things went obsolete.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:40 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:33 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:29 pm
I took my new wheelie out. I like her better than the snubbie.
Story time dude. Tells us whatcha got. And did you shoot all .357? Or a mix of .38/.357? You can't just waltz in here with a little "I shot the wheelie" and leave it at that! That stuff don't fly here brother!
QFT.

I got a 4" Tuarus 65. NIB. $299.00 + S, H, & FFL. I just fired off some .38 spl. I need to get a holster. The snubbie is a Charter Arms Mag Pug. A lot of flip for some .38. I have some .357, but for the Pug. Oh, no.

I was good to get out.
8-) Nice.

I have been getting the S&W 65 out more recently. I'm starting to get pretty decent groups out to 10 yrds and deer killing groups out to 15-20 yards. I was keeping group size inside a 6 or 7 inch circle at 15 yrds last night. I hope to get a deer with it and I hope to get 6 inch groups at 25 yrds some day. I'm consistently hitting a little right, so I'll change grips come Christmas and see if it continues. If so I'll shave a little off the sight with a stone.

Bianchi makes some good holsters for revolvers in the $25-$35 range. Mine is difficult to get a belt into, but very solid and not moving around much. If interested, I can try to figure out the model. I like a thumb break and synthetic for water resistance.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 pm

TFB - CMMG Goes Big With 10mm Banshee Pistols, Rifles

Building on the success of their Radial Delayed Blowback system, CMMG has just dropped a 10mm Banshee into their pistol and short barrel rifle product lineup. The new “best millimeter” gun joins thirteen other Banshee caliber and magazine options, ranging from .22LR through .458 SOCOM. The patented Radial Delayed Blowback system works to help reduce the felt recoil and also make the Banshee a superb suppressor host.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:46 pm

TTAG - Colt Halts Production of Long Guns for the Retail Market

The long, difficult saga of Colt’s Manufacturing has taken another turn. Firearms distributer RSR Group has sent an email blast to their retail customers announcing that Colt will no longer produce long guns for the retail market.

Recall that Colt filed for bankruptcy protection in June of 2015, emerging in January of 2016. We hear that they’ve struggled to make money on their retail long gun sales for a long time. Colt lost its primary military contract for M16 and M4 rifles in 2013.

In response to the news, one industry insider told us . . .They’ve been losing left and right to companies both big and small. They don’t have the high end or the low end market, and they’ve finally realized that the prancing pony isn’t enough for this generation of shooters to buy less rifle for more money. Instead of getting better, they’ve given up.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm

At $700, their AR rifles are a good buy. At $1100+ they are not.

The only one dumb enough to pay that much money for a baseline off the shelf AR would be Uncle Sam.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:00 pm

I hate to see them go under in a historical sense, but they don't really have any stand-out guns anymore, and their quality-to-cost ratio just isn't all that good anymore.

Might be profitable if someone who already has suitable tooling for Colt's historical designs bought it as a vanity brand. Sell Colt-branded 1911s, SAAs, and so on.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Pretty much all they sell these days are 1911 models. They are kind of like Kimber except with better brand recognition, higher prices and questionably better quality.

They tend to make bad decisions like the 1903 reissue. Not sure who thought a $1200-1700 pocket pistol in 32 ACP was destined to be a hot seller. If they were serious they could have brought back the Python.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:18 pm

This sucks. I was really disappointed that they quit making the AR oem6920 or whichever it was that would take a rail. Not the one you still see for sale now that has a standard hand guard. I did not know their quality was questionable. I really wanted to upgrade to a Colt. As I always thought they were a bit better than a mid range rifle. And at $600-$700 (IIRC - maybe it was even cheaper than that) with no furniture. It seemed like a good deal. Especially if you wanted to add your own furniture.

That brand in my generation (55 or so) has a very positive image. I'm surprised they boned it so badly. I can't stand it when an older really respectable brand just dies. You'd think someone would grab it up and make something decent.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:26 pm

The quality was very good, just questionable as to whether their 1911s were better than Kimber at the same price.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 am

They lost the .mil M16 and M4 contracts to FN-USA, who operates out of SC, a lower cost (and gun friendly) location, with a newer plant, probably a younger work force, and almost certainly none of the retiree expenses that Colt has.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:43 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:39 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Since 350 legend is basically a 9mm extra long, and 450 Bushmaster is a 45 extra long, we need to straight wall the 6.8 SPC case and make a 40/10mm extra long to keep the caliber wars going.
That would be the .400 Purdey and the .401 Winchester Self-Loading. There is a reason why these things went obsolete.
Yeah, but you throw it in an AR... Boom, 5 solid years of trending sales before it does out again hahahaha
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:10 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:43 pm
Stercutus wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Yeah, but you throw it in an AR... Boom, 5 solid years of trending sales before it does out again hahahaha
True enough, but only if we give it a cool name like "400 Spartan" or "400 Kelvin" or even "400 Silicone" (Don't google that last one, trust me on this)
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:03 pm

.400 Brouhaha

.400 Codswallop

.400 Folderol

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:47 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:03 pm
.400 Brouhaha

.400 Codswallop

.400 Folderol
.400 Ayyyyup

.400 Woot

.400 ICan'tBelieveIt'sNotAMagnum
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:10 am

Langenator wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 am
They lost the .mil M16 and M4 contracts to FN-USA, who operates out of SC, a lower cost (and gun friendly) location, with a newer plant, probably a younger work force, and almost certainly none of the retiree expenses that Colt has.
Yup. At the end of the day, a business must turn a profit.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 am

Saw this as a ad before a youtube video

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 am

Taran Butler and the competition shooters he sponsors have been the go-to trainers for several of the TV and movie actor types for a few years now. Hollywood studios get exemptions for most of California's strict gun laws. Taran's primary business is building raceguns and racegun accessories...being associated with that Hollywood crowd probably helps when it comes time to renew his California Hi-Cap Mag and Assault Weapons licenses.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 am

He's pretty heavily trained for an actor. He rolls Jiu Jitsu too. I'm impressed with his level of dedication. He's a very humble guy.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 pm

There was an older video released around JW2, that displayed much more impressive speed and accuracy shooting targets. KR needs to be in a good ZPAW movie.

I must declare though it looks like Halle was putting that brace on her shoulder by design. Almost like she had a bit of forethought about it.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 pm

flybynight wrote:

Am I the only one cringing seeing steel being shot at what seems like too close range?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:10 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:43 pm
Stercutus wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
True enough, but only if we give it a cool name like "400 Spartan" or "400 Kelvin" or even "400 Silicone" (Don't google that last one, trust me on this)
.400 Saga. To go with .350 Legend.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:55 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 pm
flybynight wrote:

Am I the only one cringing seeing steel being shot at what seems like too close range?
I would suspect they are shooting frangible ammo. It turns to powder when it hits steel.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm

The '94 AWB was signed into law 25 years ago today.

Ah, good times...$125 for a pre-ban standard capacity Glock mag, when you could find 'em.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”