Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm

TFB - Gatfishing Tournament

Inspired by WWII magnet hunters like the team featured here on TFB that recovered a beautifully preserved STG44 in Holland a few weeks back, one Massachusetts man decided to dredge the bottom of a local pond with a magnet he bought on Amazon. Within minutes, the man had pulled up what looks to be a mini Uzi. Dropping the magnet down again, he recovered another gun, and another. The amateur magnet hunter had stumbled across a cache of guns dumped in a quiet city pond.

And so, sitting around our digital campfire tossing around ideas, the TFB Staff conjured up what will be known as the first annual Gatfishing Tournament. Participating readers can go Gatfishing with magnets and report back with their finds. Along with achieving internet fame, winners will have a chance at earning to-be-determined prizes for the most unique finds....

Whatever you pull up from those dark depths, we want to see it, gun related or not. We are considering having Gatfishing patches made and will scope out some nice prizes. TFB staff will be participating in the tournament but will not be eligible to win.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Ah, so it turns out the current turn around time for a suppressor for me is currently 11 months, 18 days. This is long enough for my favorite suppressor vendor to go belly up (Hardened Arms). I always wondered how they were able to sell the gun + Suppressor for about half what everyone else was selling them for and cheaper than I could ever hope to build and make.

Turns out they couldn't which is a shame because they had decent quality stuff for cheap.

Also in the interim the gun shop raised the transfer fees. :roll:
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:07 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Inspired by WWII magnet hunters like the team featured here on TFB that recovered a beautifully preserved STG44 in Holland a few weeks back, one Massachusetts man decided to dredge the bottom of a local pond with a magnet he bought on Amazon. Within minutes, the man had pulled up what looks to be a mini Uzi. Dropping the magnet down again, he recovered another gun, and another. The amateur magnet hunter had stumbled across a cache of guns dumped in a quiet city pond.

And so, sitting around our digital campfire tossing around ideas, the TFB Staff conjured up what will be known as the first annual Gatfishing Tournament. Participating readers can go Gatfishing with magnets and report back with their finds. Along with achieving internet fame, winners will have a chance at earning to-be-determined prizes for the most unique finds....

Whatever you pull up from those dark depths, we want to see it, gun related or not. We are considering having Gatfishing patches made and will scope out some nice prizes. TFB staff will be participating in the tournament but will not be eligible to win.
Incredible. Really. I'm a little awed.

8-)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Just to be the no-fun-guy...

He didn't find a "stash" he found a post crime gun dump.

I will tell you that you are certain to run afoul of (no pun intended) of various state and local laws if you try to keep an unclaimed found gun. Now noting the number of boating accidents that I see reported in this thread alone you will probably be able to walk across some ponds without touching the bottom. But, taking a gun that someone lost or had stolen is a felony in my state no matter where you find it.

If you do find one and turn it in the police will also be reluctant to give it back to you if you turn it in as it could have been used in an unsolved or even an unreported crime. If it was used in a crime and then dumped in a lake then you really don't want to be the guy holding it or holding on to it to prevent whoever from going to prison for whatever they did or becoming an accessory after the fact.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Rhetoric heats up.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/elizabe ... 00999.html
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) wants to sharply increase taxes on guns and ammunition as part of a comprehensive new plan to reduce gun deaths in the United States by 80%.
Warren, who is set to appear along with most of the other 20-plus Democratic presidential candidates at a gun control forum in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, is also proposing universal background checks, federal gun licensing, a one-week waiting period on all gun purchases to limit impulsive violence, a ban on assault weapons and a newly empowered Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, among a host of other suggestions.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:59 am

Maybe we should sharply increase the taxes on Senators and Representatives in order to reduce the amount of stupid ideas coming out of DC by 80%.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:59 am
Maybe we should sharply increase the taxes on Senators and Representatives in order to reduce the amount of stupid ideas coming out of DC by 80%.
Nah. Stupid's a universal constant, it'd just make the stupid more expensive. ;)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Didn't know whether to post this here or the civil war thread.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/12/ ... insurance/

John Titor was right

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 pm
Didn't know whether to post this here or the civil war thread.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/12/ ... insurance/
I have a whole post about the ludicrous ways to tax people using his reasoning, but it edges on politics a bit too much. One can easily use their imagination, though, I think.

Also, I'm afraid to give him any ideas.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:42 pm

I think the insurance is a great idea. That is why everyone has insurance on cars. And no one would dream of driving without insurance because that would be like totally illegal. When people get their insurance cancelled due to unsafe driving or non-payment they simply park their car and don't drive. I saw it on TV once. So gun insurance would be just as effective.

People that are otherwise responsible gun owners are always shooting each other by mistake. There were hundreds of such incidents last year. Now people (or their heirs) will have a recourse to get some compensation whereas before it was all just messy lawsuits those days will be behind us.
You go over and under
I go through

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:50 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm

In! :clap:

I knew I'd find a use for those hard drive magnets that I've been stashing!
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:42 pm
I think the insurance is a great idea. That is why everyone has insurance on cars. And no one would dream of driving without insurance because that would be like totally illegal. When people get their insurance cancelled due to unsafe driving or non-payment they simply park their car and don't drive. I saw it on TV once. So gun insurance would be just as effective.

People that are otherwise responsible gun owners are always shooting each other by mistake. There were hundreds of such incidents last year. Now people (or their heirs) will have a recourse to get some compensation whereas before it was all just messy lawsuits those days will be behind us.
So kinda like no fault manslaughter? I wonder if they will offer accident forgiveness . You know so first person you kill will not raise your premium .

John Titor was right

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:11 pm

How about a Safe Driver Discount type of thing? For every five years one of your guns doesn't jump-up and start shooting folks, you get a reduction on the premiums and/or deductible.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 pm

flybynight wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:36 pm
Stercutus wrote:

So kinda like no fault manslaughter? I wonder if they will offer accident forgiveness . You know so first person you kill will not raise your premium .
You would probably have to space them out a bit. Just to show you are really a safe shooter.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 pm
flybynight wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:36 pm
Stercutus wrote:

You would probably have to space them out a bit. Just to show you are really a safe shooter.
I just want to see the TV commercials. Finally, someone gets to nail that Gecko. Will Mayhem get Uzis, MAC10s, or a $299 AR with a homemade bumpstock? And will the good hands people still cover you if yours aren't and you wing your neighbor's pomeranian?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 pm

TTAG - Ruger Leads Firearms Manufacturing in the U.S.

Sturm, Ruger is the country’s largest gun maker, according to the most-recent figures from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives

The agency’s “Firearms Commerce in the United States Annual Statistical Update” interim report for 2018 shows that firearms industry manufacturing volume moved up about 4% from 2017 to 2018, from 8.3 million guns made to 8.7 million firearms made last year, or around 2012 levels (8.6 million). The largest companies by manufacturing volume include publicly-traded companies Ruger and Smith & Wesson.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. was the largest firearms manufacturer by volume, in part because it builds many more rifles than second-place Smith & Wesson. Ruger is credited with making 781,704 pistols, 172,104 revolvers, and 661,155 rifles in 2017 for a total of 1,614,963 firearms manufactured

In second place at 1,506,256, Smith & Wesson’s totals were actually larger in handguns (pistols 1,032,450 and revolvers 207,384), but substantially behind in rifles (265,356). S&W also made 21 shotguns and 1,045 miscellaneous firearms that year.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 pm
In second place at 1,506,256, Smith & Wesson’s totals were actually larger in handguns (pistols 1,032,450 and revolvers 207,384), but substantially behind in rifles (265,356). S&W also made 21 shotguns and 1,045 miscellaneous firearms that year.[/i]
Makes me wonder how many of those pistols were Shields of one flavor or another.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:30 am

TFB - Dan Haga Designs AR-15 Grip and 1913 Stock Adapter for Henry AR-7 Survival Rifles

Dan Haga Designs, a company known for creating parts and adapters for firearms that normally don’t have huge aftermarket support, has introduced another interesting accessory for one of such firearms – the Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 rifle.

This adapter is designed to be installed in place of the original stock of Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 rifle. It allows attaching AR-15 grips to the AR-7 rifle as well as provides a rear 1913 Picatinny rail section to install stocks like those made for the SIG MPX/MCX series of firearms.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 am

TTAG -Dayton Shooter Had Drugs, Alcohol in His System, Hit by ‘At Least’ 24 Rounds Fired By Police

The Dayton shooter who killed nine people had cocaine on him and in his system during the mass shooting that police stopped in what they described as a combat-like gun battle, a coroner said Thursday.

Montgomery County coroner Dr. Kent Harshbarger said [the Dayton shooter] had a pipe device and a baggie of cocaine with him, and cocaine, alcohol and an antidepressant in his blood. Harshbarger also reported in his preliminary autopsy findings that police stopped Betts with at least two dozen gunshots that hit him at gaps in his body armor.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:24 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:30 am
TFB - Dan Haga Designs AR-15 Grip and 1913 Stock Adapter for Henry AR-7 Survival Rifles

Dan Haga Designs, a company known for creating parts and adapters for firearms that normally don’t have huge aftermarket support, has introduced another interesting accessory for one of such firearms – the Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 rifle.

This adapter is designed to be installed in place of the original stock of Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 rifle. It allows attaching AR-15 grips to the AR-7 rifle as well as provides a rear 1913 Picatinny rail section to install stocks like those made for the SIG MPX/MCX series of firearms.

Half the utility of the AR-7 (I used to own one of the originals) is that it all stored safely inside the floating buttstock. This setup creates a need for something to carry the parts in when broken down and removes the flotation capability.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:57 pm

There have been a few "interesting" variants produced over the decades....

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 am
TTAG -Dayton Shooter Had Drugs, Alcohol in His System, Hit by ‘At Least’ 24 Rounds Fired By Police

The Dayton shooter who killed nine people had cocaine on him and in his system during the mass shooting that police stopped in what they described as a combat-like gun battle, a coroner said Thursday.
Color me shocked. It is almost like there is a unbreakable link between mass shooters and drugs. At well over 90% correlation I think we passed the confidence interval for causation about a decade ago.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Obviously the solution is we must stop enforcing all drug laws and ban all guns.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:24 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:30 am

Half the utility of the AR-7 (I used to own one of the originals) is that it all stored safely inside the floating buttstock. This setup creates a need for something to carry the parts in when broken down and removes the flotation capability.
When I first saw it, my thought was that they should have at least had clips on the buttstock to mount the barrel.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”