Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by RickOShea » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Kinda reminds me of a Pepishaw...

Ruger PC Carbine 19115

CNC-milled handguard that is Type III hard-coat anodized aluminum for maximum durability, with Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots on all four sides for easy mounting of M-LOK-compatible rails and accessories.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:39 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Ruger PC Carbine 19115

CNC-milled handguard that is Type III hard-coat anodized aluminum for maximum durability, with Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots on all four sides for easy mounting of M-LOK-compatible rails and accessories.

Well, it looks like I know what I'm saving my money for now. :clap:

Now if Magpul would make a 9mm drum mag, I could make a modern PPsH-41 clone. Only 9mm drum mags I can think of are those Korean ones and I haven't heard too many good thing about them.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:55 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:25 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:05 pm

And here I thought the Nighthawk 1911 I saw for 2200 bucks in Lubbock was crazy expensive. :shock:
Standard Mfg SAA .45LC

Ed Brown SR18 .45 acp

Dan Wesson CHAOS 9mm

Brno Field Pistol 7.5mm FK
Well, I just added four more guns to my "Can't afford unless I either win the lottery or sell an organ" list. :gonk:
The two most expensive guns on my wish list are a Johnson model 1941 and a Gew. 43...both of which were going for $4k+ last I looked, quite a while ago.
I still want a Winchester Model 1895 Russian contract musket, but it's been a long time since I've found any for sale. I think the last one I found had a tag of 2 grand on it and it had been sporterized at some point in the past.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:50 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:39 pm
RickOShea wrote:

Ruger PC Carbine 19115

Well, it looks like I know what I'm saving my money for now. :clap:

Now if Magpul would make a 9mm drum mag, I could make a modern PPsH-41 clone. Only 9mm drum mags I can think of are those Korean ones and I haven't heard too many good thing about them.
I have to admit they're pretty tempting, enough that I'm tempted to sell my EC9s to my dad so I can pick up a mag-compatible Security-9 Compact as my EDC carry.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:04 pm

RickOShea wrote:

Ruger PC Carbine 19115

I love how they have a new .40 PCC, but don't make a .40 handgun. And the Ruger .40 mags are SR series which have been discontinued.

Side note, I think Ruger screwed up not using SR mags for the American and security nine. I think it would have been a nice selling point (I know they are similar, but still)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:56 pm

TAG - Californians Purchased Over ONE MILLION Magazines In One Week of Freedom

One million magazines. That’s how many standard capacity feeding devices Golden State residents bought during the one week when sales become legal in California recently.

Reportedly a pallet of Magpul P-Mags for America’s favorite rifle, the AR-15, tallies up to 3,000 magazines. So a million magazines represents… a lot of pallets. In simpler terms, many semi-truck loads of freedom pellet dispensers flooded into California to feed the demand from good guys and gals.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:04 pm
RickOShea wrote:

Ruger PC Carbine 19115

I love how they have a new .40 PCC, but don't make a .40 handgun. And the Ruger .40 mags are SR series which have been discontinued.

Side note, I think Ruger screwed up not using SR mags for the American and security nine. I think it would have been a nice selling point (I know they are similar, but still)
Aren't the Security-9s thinner than the old SRs? That might be why they didn't re-use those mags.

That aside, using mags for pistols they don't even sell anymore seems really odd. It makes me wonder if they have a "Security-40" in the pipeline; that might be neat.

I also wonder how hard it would be to make functional aftermarket magwell inserts. They'd be more attractive if I could use my XD mags. I've found a few threads indicating the old PC-9s and PC-4s were occasionally modded to use other mag types. Something to keep in mind once I've got the house ready to sell and have a bit of free time, maybe.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:56 pm

One million magazines. That’s how many standard capacity feeding devices Golden State residents bought during the one week when sales become legal in California recently.

Reportedly a pallet of Magpul P-Mags for America’s favorite rifle, the AR-15, tallies up to 3,000 magazines. So a million magazines represents… a lot of pallets. In simpler terms, many semi-truck loads of freedom pellet dispensers flooded into California to feed the demand from good guys and gals.
Well that will turn out to be one million dead children. Or is it 30,000,000 dead kids since the clips were 30 rounders? My gun math gets fuzzy when I stop using logic.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Well that will turn out to be one million dead children. Or is it 30,000,000 dead kids since the clips were 30 rounders? My gun math gets fuzzy when I stop using logic.
Like piles of poop and used syringes, the sidewalks are gonna be littered with P-Mags. Image
Last edited by RickOShea on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:04 pm
RickOShea wrote:

Ruger PC Carbine 19115

Aren't the Security-9s thinner than the old SRs? That might be why they didn't re-use those mags.

That aside, using mags for pistols they don't even sell anymore seems really odd. It makes me wonder if they have a "Security-40" in the pipeline; that might be neat.

I also wonder how hard it would be to make functional aftermarket magwell inserts. They'd be more attractive if I could use my XD mags. I've found a few threads indicating the old PC-9s and PC-4s were occasionally modded to use other mag types. Something to keep in mind once I've got the house ready to sell and have a bit of free time, maybe.
Looking at the inserts up close I don't see any reason new ones couldn't be 3D printed.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 pm
boskone wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Looking at the inserts up close I don't see any reason new ones couldn't be 3D printed.
Well...I do have a 3d printer. A small one, as I don't yet have the room to warrant building a larger one, but I think a 4.7 inch cube print area would be enough.

May put a PC-9 on the list after a Garand.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 pm
Langenator wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:55 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:25 pm
Well, I just added four more guns to my "Can't afford unless I either win the lottery or sell an organ" list. :gonk:
The two most expensive guns on my wish list are a Johnson model 1941 and a Gew. 43...both of which were going for $4k+ last I looked, quite a while ago.
I still want a Winchester Model 1895 Russian contract musket, but it's been a long time since I've found any for sale. I think the last one I found had a tag of 2 grand on it and it had been sporterized at some point in the past.
Yeah...that's on my list too, but it's almost more of the Unicorn variety. I did stumble upon a long expired auction site (private, not Gunbroker) for one...IIRC, somewhere in 5 figures.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am

I'd like to see Winchester bring out a repro one like they did with the Teddy Roosevelt .405 Winchester Model 1895 a few years back.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm

One of my cats has a very specific spot he takes his afternoon naps in... On or under the fleece "horsie" blanket on the bed in our guest room. (called that because it has a picture of horses on it)

Today, before lunch, I decided to do a little work on two of the rifles, one of which was my 10/22 which is stored in a hard case in the guest room closet. So, I hauled the case out and put it on the bed, took out the rifle and took it in the living room to work on. The new polymer bolt stop pin took longer to get in than I expected. This is what I found when I went to put the rifle away:

He was not getting out, either! He hissed at me when I tried to move him and even refused to move when I closed the lid on him (not all the way and not latched). I finally had to dump him out of it and then put the foam back in.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 pm

I want a tactical attack kitty now too...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 pm
This one is a wildcat cartridge, 9 M-M, with the Ms standing for Meow-Meow.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Last edited by RickOShea on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 pm
Be careful what you wish for

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:42 pm

RECOIL - Multiple Reports of Wish.com Glock Sear Arrests by ATF

Wish.com is mostly known for its knock-off garbage. In fact, there’s practically an entire YouTube industry surrounding reviewing the questionable products.

For some time now, backplates that convert Glock handguns to machineguns have been available through the app from $12-$32 dollars. Some were advertised as airsoft parts, while others as legitimate 80% parts kits for licensed manufacturers, and some finally blatantly stated they were conversion kits. Many federal laws were broken by anyone who risked purchasing one of these parts–even the so-called “80 percent” ones were deemed far too complete to be in compliance.

And while you may believe that no one would be so dumb as to buy them, there has been a recent uptick of Chinese auto sear use in crimes. Most of these arrests stemmed from investigations of other crimes, like this man from PA who was arrested last fall, but it would only be a matter of time before the ATF figured out a way to track these purchases. And indeed they have.

We’ve received several reports of the ATF confiscating sears from licensed manufacturers who believed they were purchasing legitimate 80% backplates, and arresting and prosecuting individuals who purchased them. Arrests and confiscations started last week across the nation and will no doubt continue into the near future.

St. Louis County man accused of buying kits from China to turn Glock pistols into automatic weapons

ST. LOUIS • A man from St. Louis County is facing a federal machine gun charge after federal agents say he bought conversion kits from China that convert Glock pistols into fully automatic weapons.

Agents learned last fall that a Chinese website was offering conversion kits that would make any Glock pistol fire multiple rounds with a single pull of the trigger, making them qualify as machine guns under federal law, according to an affidavit from Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Special Agent Brock Gale filed in support of the charge.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:10 am

Those things were so dumb I figured it was an ATF sting.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:14 am

RickOShea wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:42 pm
RECOIL - Multiple Reports of Wish.com Glock Sear Arrests by ATF

Wish.com is mostly known for its knock-off garbage. In fact, there’s practically an entire YouTube industry surrounding reviewing the questionable products.

For some time now, backplates that convert Glock handguns to machineguns have been available through the app from $12-$32 dollars. Some were advertised as airsoft parts, while others as legitimate 80% parts kits for licensed manufacturers, and some finally blatantly stated they were conversion kits. Many federal laws were broken by anyone who risked purchasing one of these parts–even the so-called “80 percent” ones were deemed far too complete to be in compliance.

And while you may believe that no one would be so dumb as to buy them, there has been a recent uptick of Chinese auto sear use in crimes. Most of these arrests stemmed from investigations of other crimes, like this man from PA who was arrested last fall, but it would only be a matter of time before the ATF figured out a way to track these purchases. And indeed they have.

We’ve received several reports of the ATF confiscating sears from licensed manufacturers who believed they were purchasing legitimate 80% backplates, and arresting and prosecuting individuals who purchased them. Arrests and confiscations started last week across the nation and will no doubt continue into the near future.

St. Louis County man accused of buying kits from China to turn Glock pistols into automatic weapons

ST. LOUIS • A man from St. Louis County is facing a federal machine gun charge after federal agents say he bought conversion kits from China that convert Glock pistols into fully automatic weapons.

Agents learned last fall that a Chinese website was offering conversion kits that would make any Glock pistol fire multiple rounds with a single pull of the trigger, making them qualify as machine guns under federal law, according to an affidavit from Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Special Agent Brock Gale filed in support of the charge.

Good to know. I have a general policy never to buy Chinese stuff. A pre-94 Norinco AK would be an exception if I could find one (and canvas mil-surp chest rigs, and a few radios, but that "radios" thing is changing). I just don't trust their business practices. If I know food or gear comes from there, I don't need to buy it, even if it is cheap. And I for SURE don't buy from Chinese websites. I also don't buy from ANY Chinese sellers on Amazon. In fact, I"m not really buying much from Amazon at all ATM. If I could I would never buy a computer or phone made in China or with parts made in China. But at the moment my options there are limited. I know the Chinese are capable of making good quality equipment. I just don't see a lot of business decisions coming out of China I feel I can support.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:52 am

GUNS.COM - Keystone Arms Promises Youth-sized Mini Mosin .22 Rifle

Pennsylvania-based Keystone Arms is headed to market with the first in a line of downsized classics with their Mini Mosin .22 rifle.

The KSA 91/30 looks like a venerable Soviet Mosin-Nagant Model 91/30, the staple of the Red Army throughout World War II. However, instead of the shoulder-bruising 7.62x54R chambering and 29-inch barrel, Keystone’s Mini will be a single-shot .22LR rimfire with a more youth-accommodating 20-inch barrel. Similarly, instead of arctic birch, the U.S-made gun will feature a walnut stock.

“This ‘Mini-Mosin’ is the perfect size for your little ‘Comrade,'” said Keystone on social media last Friday. The company, best-known for their Crickett and Chipmunk series of single-shot rifles and pistols, went on to explain even smaller Mosins — such as the M38 — are still “a full-size rifle in a large caliber that a youth will have an unpleasant experience with.”

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:00 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:52 am

Pennsylvania-based Keystone Arms is headed to market with the first in a line of downsized classics with their Mini Mosin .22 rifle.

The KSA 91/30 looks like a venerable Soviet Mosin-Nagant Model 91/30, the staple of the Red Army throughout World War II. However, instead of the shoulder-bruising 7.62x54R chambering and 29-inch barrel, Keystone’s Mini will be a single-shot .22LR rimfire with a more youth-accommodating 20-inch barrel. Similarly, instead of arctic birch, the U.S-made gun will feature a walnut stock.

“This ‘Mini-Mosin’ is the perfect size for your little ‘Comrade,'” said Keystone on social media last Friday. The company, best-known for their Crickett and Chipmunk series of single-shot rifles and pistols, went on to explain even smaller Mosins — such as the M38 — are still “a full-size rifle in a large caliber that a youth will have an unpleasant experience with.”

Well, now we know what Chimpov's nephew is getting for Christmas from him... :clap:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:06 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:00 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:52 am

Well, now we know what Chimpov's nephew is getting for Christmas from him... :clap:
If I can find one of them at a decent price, my nephew might actually be getting one. :lol:

I showed him that pic of it and he now actually does want one.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”