Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Zed Hunter

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by Zed Hunter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am

Just received a one step swag die from BT Sniper to convert old 9X19 brass to .40cal/10mm jacketed hollow point bullets. Now to cast the pure lead cores.

Tracking up dated to show the power source for my induction heating setup that will be used for annealing the brass. The ZVS driver and generic coil still haven't been turned over to USPS.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am
Just received a one step swag die from BT Sniper to convert old 9X19 brass to .40cal/10mm jacketed hollow point bullets. Now to cast the pure lead cores.

Tracking up dated to show the power source for my induction heating setup that will be used for annealing the brass. The ZVS driver and generic coil still haven't been turned over to USPS.
Once I get set up on the property I am going to have to try this..... making my own jacketed bullets would be amazing. Get a video of the process I'd love to see it!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

What do y'all do with brass that's no longer safe to reload ?

I've seen some folks on YouTube making crafts out of sketchy range floor brass and wondered if anyone here on ZS did that same thing.

ETA: I wonder if this ought to be its own thread so as to not hijack this one. Mods, if this deserves to be its own thread, let me know or move it as you see fit.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I've seen some folks on YouTube making crafts out of sketchy range floor brass and wondered if anyone here on ZS did that same thing.

ETA: I wonder if this ought to be its own thread so as to not hijack this one. Mods, if this deserves to be its own thread, let me know or move it as you see fit.
I crush it with my press to flatten it for better storage eventually I'll melt it to make ingots and maybe sell or use as weights for crab/shrimp pots. Hell maybe I'll get into sand casting and make some cool stuff.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I crush it with my press to flatten it for better storage eventually I'll melt it to make ingots and maybe sell or use as weights for crab/shrimp pots. Hell maybe I'll get into sand casting and make some cool stuff.
I've seen some folks on YouTube make paperweights with spent brass and some of that clear acrylic stuff they sell at Hobby Lobby. I've thought about doing that with the box and a half of old .45 ACP brass I've got.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:19 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I've seen some folks on YouTube make paperweights with spent brass and some of that clear acrylic stuff they sell at Hobby Lobby. I've thought about doing that with the box and a half of old .45 ACP brass I've got.
I really want to look more into what Zed Hunter is talking about. I've got LOTS of old lead weights from when my dad was alive and fishing. have about 15 lead downrigger weights, a tackle box full of lead weights, and various other things. plus I see them all the time for a couple buck here and there for people getting rid of old fishing gear (the big weights). So making my own bullets and using 22lr cases as jackets for them would be simply amazing.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 pm

My dad and brothers used to make their own fishing weights from old scrap lead. My dad used the bottom part of a crawfish boiler and put an old pot on top to hold the chunks of lead for melting.

I remember when I was about 11 or so and I watched them dig a small hole in the backyard, smooth it out a little, put in a little twisted piece of thick copper wire and then pour molten lead directly in the hole. Twenty or so minutes later, they pulled the resulting weight out and washed off the dirt.

Despite all the years that have gone by, I can still clearly remember what my dad and brothers did to make the wieghts. I figure I can probably do the same thing if I had the materials. Only thing that'd really cost me a bit would be the heat source to melt the lead.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 am

I will refer you to castboolits.gunloads.com for learning and advice. Also the Los Angeles cast bullet assn. Web site. Both are great resources for learning to cast your own projectiles.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”