Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

woodsghost

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Around the Omaha area, no indoor range allows birdshot. Some allow buckshot, some allow slugs, some allow both. Kinda random.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Nearest range to me is pistol calibers (.22 - .45) in pistols or rifles and no 5.7x28mm. No shotguns, no rifle calibers.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Same here. Honestly, I've never tried to go there with a PCC, so I have no idea if those are kosher.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Many indoor ranges I have been to that allow rifles only allow you to use what ammo you buy on site from what they allow.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 pm
Many indoor ranges I have been to that allow rifles only allow you to use what ammo you buy on site from what they allow.
The range in Johnston rents guns & you have to buy one box. An old range in Ankeny didn't allow reloads. That changed for me when I bought my Rockchucker setup from him. :wink:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 pm
Wow. I must be in a good place then. Local ranges allow handloads and rifle rounds, but no AP, no tracer, no incendiary, sometimes no bi-metal jacketed bullets, and no 30-06 or 7.62x54 anymore. A lot of local ranges did advertise you could shoot 50BMG, and you still can with permission and putting your credit card down to fix the dents in the backstop. I guess backstops can be rated to stop 50BMG but not necessarily rated for sustained 50BMG? The owners of several ranges found that out.

Who wants to shoot 50BMG indoors at 25 yards?!?!?!?! "Not I, said the cat."

Some local ranges rent suppressed and FA guns too. All places require you to buy range ammo if you use a rental.

Come to Omaha. We have cool ranges. Well, the towns surrounding Omaha have cool ranges. ;)

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm
"but no AP, no tracer, no incendiary"
sissies. :roll:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:39 am

I just shoot outdoors. If it is 25 yards or less I walk outside about five steps to my range. 50 yards is a longer walk. Anything over 50 is a drive to the local free range.
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Get one for that special range buddy in your life. :awesome:

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanGunChi ... 854199144/

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:54 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:33 pm

The more I think about this, the more I"m amused. I was not sure it was real till I clicked the page and caught a little more of what was going on. My own thoughts: if hot brass is a problem, put on a shirt. But....most women don't bother to consult me when choosing their wardrobe. I do hope such a product will save those ladies out there from suffering the effects of hot brass for...whatever price it runs. Protection is very important.

Oh look! A shemagh! Doing the same thing? You decide.

At lease there are options out there.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:01 pm

LOL.....I think my "favorite" female shooting accessory is still the "Flashbang" holster. Image

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:57 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:01 pm
LOL.....I think my "favorite" female shooting accessory is still the "Flashbang" holster. Image

She is faster than I am. I think I need to switch my holster style. Can dudes wear bras? I"m like a size AAA?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:26 pm

I think it's called a "bro" or "manziere".....I could probably squeeze into a 52 B. :rofl:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:52 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Honestly, not a bad product. My #3 ex has a permanent outline of a .22 LR case burned into her left one. (We used to joke that was one way I could identify the body if anything bad happened to her. Yeah, dark humor.)
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:55 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:57 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:01 pm

She is faster than I am. I think I need to switch my holster style. Can dudes wear bras? I"m like a size AAA?
That brick wall though... it seems just a few inches below her muzzle. Real easy to make a mistake and hit it.

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 am

Looking at AR pistols at the local shop today, and ended up liking the Daniel Defense MK18 and Sig MCX over everything else they had. Between the two the MK18 was noticeably less bulky, and the price point was similar enough.

Anyone have a preference? I'm leaning toward the Mk18, but not sure if there's something the Sig has that it doesn't that might make me reconsider.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:07 pm

roOism wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 am
Looking at AR pistols at the local shop today, and ended up liking the Daniel Defense MK18 and Sig MCX over everything else they had. Between the two the MK18 was noticeably less bulky, and the price point was similar enough.

Anyone have a preference? I'm leaning toward the Mk18, but not sure if there's something the Sig has that it doesn't that might make me reconsider.
I thing you’ll get better quality in the DD, but man, as mall ninja as it is I really want to build an AR pistol in 300 BLK with that Sig collapsible brace.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:37 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:07 pm
roOism wrote:

I thing you’ll get better quality in the DD, but man, as mall ninja as it is I really want to build an AR pistol in 300 BLK with that Sig collapsible brace.
I had to stop sharpening my throwing stars to comment. You say mall ninja like it's a bad thing.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:30 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:37 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
roOism wrote:

I had to stop sharpening my throwing stars to comment. You say mall ninja like it's a bad thing.
Mall ninjas are good entertainment. :awesome:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:20 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:30 pm
flybynight wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:37 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
roOism wrote:

Mall ninjas are good entertainment. :awesome:
I think we all have a little mall ninja inside of us. :lol:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 pm

I have no regrets. I went full monty and got a suppressor with it. It makes the near ideal trunk gun that can be carried legally most places. Now I have to get a Segway so I can go mounted and not worry about getting fatigued climbing the escalator to the third floor.
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 pm
I have no regrets. I went full monty and got a suppressor with it. It makes the near ideal trunk gun that can be carried legally most places. Now I have to get a Segway so I can go mounted and not worry about getting fatigued climbing the escalator to the third floor.
HMMM. Ok now I can envision it
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”