Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm
The short barrel XD seems to be displacing the HiPoint as thug gun of choice. I am not sure why. They easily cost more than twice as much as a HiPoint.
Hmm... that's odd. I do know their resale has plummeted to the $250-350 range used depending on model. And you can find online sales cheap. So I'm guessing people don't hold onto them the same way they do with other guns.

In my area, when XD's got popular, I used to rag on them a lot because the marketing was very corny. It was like if you had a T-top Camaro, liked cut-off denim jackets, monster jam and WWE. It was like if Glock and S&W were Audi and Toyota, but XD was a Chivvy Silver-aydo and you wanted that 'Merican Glock.

But, ignoring all that nonsense, I thought their build quality was top notch. I'll have to look into that striker retaining pin. Seems like an easy fix. I hope there are no other quirks if I decide to run .45SMC or .45Super in it
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm
Didn't you used to get a pistol case, a kydex holster, a double mag kydex holster and 3 mags when you bought an XD? But wait there's more. You get a backstrap safety. :(

XD LOL ;P
In 1911s it's called a "feature." Wilson Combat charges big bucks for those.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 pm

It could be because they are cheaper guns people leave them in their vehicles? Often unlocked. That is a sure a way as any to conduct a transfer to a prohibited person that I know.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm

brothaman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Welp. Just bought a 475 Linebaugh revolver. Ridiculous Big Bore revolver ticked off my bucket list. :|
Ruger is bringing back the No. 1 rifle in that caliber...….Maybe 2019 will be the "Year of the .475 Linebaugh".Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 pm
It could be because they are cheaper guns people leave them in their vehicles? Often unlocked. That is a sure a way as any to conduct a transfer to a prohibited person that I know.
Very true...

Criminals out here still like HiPoints. At least that's what the news shows unless they are throwing in stock footage.

AKs are getting popular in the city. I'd say any time there is a longgun, it's an AK. Used to be SKS or shotguns. I guess business is good in the streets.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Very true...

Criminals out here still like HiPoints. At least that's what the news shows unless they are throwing in stock footage.

AKs are getting popular in the city. I'd say any time there is a longgun, it's an AK. Used to be SKS or shotguns. I guess business is good in the streets.
WHAT?!?!?! Don't they know they can get an AR for way less? Often half the price of an AK!?!?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Very true...

WHAT?!?!?! Don't they know they can get an AR for way less? Often half the price of an AK!?!?
Maybe the AR guys don't get busted... I'd say there were 2 cases the last week that involved catching someone with a stolen AK

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 am

Nearly all the rifle murders out here are SKS. Just last week we had a triple homicide with a suicide all with an SKS. Murders are still overwhelmingly pistols though. Last year in the US out of nearly 10K firearm murders less than 500 were with rifles.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 am

This touches politics but anyone interested in 2A stuff should read up on the ruling Cody Wilson just got.

All these articles have a political bent but decent enough explanation
https://www.dailywire.com/news/32872/do ... stigiacomo

https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark- ... -diy-guns/

Export controls for many ordinary firearms and accessories will be removed from the ITAR list. Exports of such items will instead by controlled by the Department of Commerce. Among the items remaining under the ITAR system are automatic firearms, firearms of greater than .50 caliber, magazines with more than 50 rounds, and sound moderators (a/k/a "silencers"). Non-automatic firearms of.50 caliber or less will no longer be covered under ITAR; among the firearms no longer under ITAR is the semiautomatic AR-15 rifle, the most common rifle in American history. Its typical calibers are .223 and .308--well under the new .50+ caliber rule.

Accordingly, the government defendants revisited the Defense Distributed case. If a particular arm (e.g., the AR-15) is no longer part of ITAR, then it would be illogical for ITAR to be applied to instructions for making the arm. Under today's settlement agreement, plaintiffs and others may freely publish 3D printing instructions for firearms that are not covered under ITAR. Restrictions on distribution of 3D printing information for items that are still under ITAR, such as machine guns or rifles over .50 caliber, remain in place.
Source https://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/10/us ... n-on-files
Man is a beast of prey

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: I have a question

Post by the_alias » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am

thanhhai wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 am
I bought a Ruger 10/22 new about two and a half years ago, in an attempt to get into shooting. However, just after I bought it, I moved to where I live now, and I was so busy with school that I never got a chance to enroll in the local gun club.

Now, I am finally in a position to get that membership and go shooting for the first time. I read a lot on here about people disassembling and/or cleaning their weapons before their first use. Is this something I should do? I bought a cleaning kit with the gun, but I have never used it. I guess it's something that wouldn't hurt to do, but I don't know if it's necessary.

Thanks in advance for the help with such a basic question!
You may want to just make sure all the right parts are lubed - Youtube is a pretty good resource on how to do this!
Man is a beast of prey

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

the_alias wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am
thanhhai wrote:
I bought a Ruger 10/22 new about two and a half years ago, in an attempt to get into shooting. However, just after I bought it, I moved to where I live now, and I was so busy with school that I never got a chance to enroll in the local gun club.

Now, I am finally in a position to get that membership and go shooting for the first time. I read a lot on here about people disassembling and/or cleaning their weapons before their first use. Is this something I should do? I bought a cleaning kit with the gun, but I have never used it. I guess it's something that wouldn't hurt to do, but I don't know if it's necessary.

You may want to just make sure all the right parts are lubed - Youtube is a pretty good resource on how to do this!
Yes, YT is a good resource. Was the rifle NIB? If not, you can download a manual from the Ruger website.

Having a manual is always a good idea.

Good luck. You have one of the best .22 autoloaders on the market.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am

the_alias wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 am
This touches politics but anyone interested in 2A stuff should read up on the ruling Cody Wilson just got.

Export controls for many ordinary firearms and accessories will be removed from the ITAR list. Exports of such items will instead by controlled by the Department of Commerce. Among the items remaining under the ITAR system are automatic firearms, firearms of greater than .50 caliber, magazines with more than 50 rounds, and sound moderators (a/k/a "silencers"). Non-automatic firearms of.50 caliber or less will no longer be covered under ITAR; among the firearms no longer under ITAR is the semiautomatic AR-15 rifle, the most common rifle in American history. Its typical calibers are .223 and .308--well under the new .50+ caliber rule.

Accordingly, the government defendants revisited the Defense Distributed case. If a particular arm (e.g., the AR-15) is no longer part of ITAR, then it would be illogical for ITAR to be applied to instructions for making the arm. Under today's settlement agreement, plaintiffs and others may freely publish 3D printing instructions for firearms that are not covered under ITAR. Restrictions on distribution of 3D printing information for items that are still under ITAR, such as machine guns or rifles over .50 caliber, remain in place.
Thanks.

This is a trick question form the DailyWire article.
Asked if he has any moral reservations about the approved technology, specifically as these downloadable and untraceable guns become more efficiently produced and thus more common, Wilson simply stated, "No, I don't."
Downloadable gun? Untraceable gun? Maybe 100 years from now the file will create the gun in your matter replicator* on direct download. But for today it's not illegal to download the files, but if you actually make a firearm from those files and don't register and pay the tax, that is illegal. So I don't know how this will make guns 'thusly more common.'
In Star Trek a replicator is a machine capable of creating objects. Replicators were originally seen used to synthesize meals on demand, but in later series they took on many other uses.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 am

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm
I'm guessing it't the "elites vs. normos" arguments... I just didn't know if I missed a big torture test or report or something
Problems with the striker retainer roll pin breaking is probably the #1 thing.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=119763&p=2669514#p2669514
I can't believe you brought up that thread. Still hurts my head to read
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am
the_alias wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks.

This is a trick question form the DailyWire article.
Asked if he has any moral reservations about the approved technology, specifically as these downloadable and untraceable guns become more efficiently produced and thus more common, Wilson simply stated, "No, I don't."
Downloadable gun? Untraceable gun? Maybe 100 years from now the file will create the gun in your matter replicator* on direct download. But for today it's not illegal to download the files, but if you actually make a firearm from those files and don't register and pay the tax, that is illegal. So I don't know how this will make guns 'thusly more common.'
In Star Trek a replicator is a machine capable of creating objects. Replicators were originally seen used to synthesize meals on demand, but in later series they took on many other uses.
There is no tax or registration on homemade guns as long as it's made for and by the builder and not being sold to someone else.

John Titor was right

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
I think you may be mistaken. You can manufacture all the guns you want for personal use and not pay taxes or register them. I may be the one who is mistaken, but all these people posting videos of them building their own homemade diy guns for personal use are legal under current law.

Edit: Flybynight said the same thing
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 am

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
I think you may be mistaken. You can manufacture all the guns you want for personal use and not pay taxes or register them. I may be the one who is mistaken, but all these people posting videos of them building their own homemade diy guns for personal use are legal under current law.

Edit: Flybynight said the same thing
We have too much time on our hands :awesome:

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:07 pm

I am not an attorney so the following is just my opinion.

Under federal law it is legal for a person to manufacture a firearm for personal own use assuming it is not "transferred". Note I have read that there is some debate over sold vs. transfer so that is why I used the term transferred.

There may very well be other state and local laws governing such activities which may make such manufacture illegal.

The point of this post is that if you engage in this activity check local, state and federal laws before doing it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:14 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 am
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm
I'm guessing it't the "elites vs. normos" arguments... I just didn't know if I missed a big torture test or report or something
Problems with the striker retainer roll pin breaking is probably the #1 thing.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=119763&p=2669514#p2669514
I can't believe you brought up that thread. Still hurts my head to read
Yeah, reading through it was petty brutal hahahaha I thought I was on ARFCOM for a sec...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am
the_alias wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am
thanhhai wrote:

Yes, YT is a good resource. Was the rifle NIB? If not, you can download a manual from the Ruger website.

Having a manual is always a good idea.

Good luck. You have one of the best .22 autoloaders on the market.
Agreed with all points.

I would just give it some lube and shoot it. I've never cleaned my 10/22 ever...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm

I've yet to clean either of my 10/22's. Just a quick wipe down and that's all they've gotten in the past five years I've owned them.

If I do ever need to break them down to clean, they're really simple to field strip and there's thousands of videos online showing one how to do so. I still have the paper manuals for my 10/22s, so that helps too.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Regarding the 10/22, nearly every manual ever printed is available somewhere on the internet as a .pdf
For example, and simplicity: http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/zoot/ ... -class.pdf
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm

raptor wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:07 pm
I am not an attorney so the following is just my opinion.

Under federal law it is legal for a person to manufacture a firearm for personal own use assuming it is not "transferred". Note I have read that there is some debate over sold vs. transfer so that is why I used the term transferred.

There may very well be other state and local laws governing such activities which may make such manufacture illegal.

The point of this post is that if you engage in this activity check local, state and federal laws before doing it.
As the authority for those regulations stems from the ICC and said homemade firearms can be gifted to or be inherited by family members it would indicate that the key would be that the transfer was non-commercial in nature.
Proving that your gift of a home machined firearm to your plumber or next door neighbor might be problematic depending on which judge you came before if anyone were to make an issue of it.

Please feel free to insert something about discretion and valor here. :wink:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm

LowKey wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Proving that your gift of a home machined firearm to your plumber or next door neighbor might be problematic depending on which judge you came before if anyone were to make an issue of it.

Please feel free to insert something about discretion and valor here. :wink:
Including discussions along the line of said plumber friend doing work in the maker's house as the reason for the "gift" to the plumber.
Yes that is the gist of many of the conversations I have seen hence my caution and use of the word transfer.
:lol:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Well I've decided when I go... I'm taking my guns with me. That's right Hell IS afraid I'm taking over :awesome: :twisted: :awesome:

John Titor was right

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”