It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Only problem with Pmags is that Magpul isn't making .45 ACP mags yet.

Given the popularity of the Glock 19 and 17 Pmags, I'm sure Magpul will bring out a .45 ACP version at some point. Until then, my only options for higher capacity G21 mags are the aforementioned Kriss mags, the Taran Tactical mag extensions and those Korean mags that fall apart if you look at them wrong.

I have no real need for an extra capacity G21 mag, but it's nice to have them if I feel like messing around at the range. :lol:

Magpul. That is what I meant to say. Oops.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:05 am 

So I got my Maverick 88 out today again. I am starting to love that gun. It will never replace my AK, but I"m really enjoying it.

I have a few thoughts/reflections.

I got to bust some clays. I had about a 50/50 hit ratio with a 12" LOP stock on there and an 18 inch barre (and a light hanging off the front)l. I was pretty excited about that. I"m learning to "aim" through pointing my fingers as they grasp the forend. Also, I have NEVER had a 50/50 hit ratio! Usually it is a 10/90 hit/miss ratio with dedicated clay guns. I"m improving!

A member here recommended a less expensive light and light setup (light is a Streamlight Protac). It is working out better than I had hoped! One thing that I found while doing some 5 yard shots was that it can hurt if you hit the tail cap of the light and leave it down as you fire the shotgun. Like if you were entering a room and flashing the light (hitting the tail cap) and then firing while the tail cap was still depressed. I don't know what I"m going to do to change things yet. I have not locktited things yet, but I will after some more monkeying and finding the sweet spot for things.

I certainly fumbled some stuff. For example I left the safety on while trying to hit a clay and I messed up wracking the slide to reload rounds while taking second shots on some clays. I know I need some stress drills and professional training.

I think I have leads on 2 potential trainers in my area. One a professional, and one a retired LEO. I'll do what I can when I can with that. Anybody hear or have comments on the "Pulse O2DA" curriculum or trainers? There is local training through them. I get the impression they are kind of a "brand name" across the country.

So that was my morning! Oh, and at 7:45 in the morning on a Saturday the range was mine!!!! Early birds get to have fun!

EDIT:

I have to add: I have been impressed by how short range the shotgun is. My ammo/gun combo means I only feel confident to maybe 25 yrds. I know 00 Buck will be lethal past that, but the spread is so large I just don't have confidence. Sure, if zombies stand up at 50 yrds I might get 2-3 pellets on target, but if a mutant ninja zombie biker is taking cover and popping out, I really don't have confidence I could get a piece of the pattern on target. Someday I"ll experiment with Federal Flight Control and the Hornady equivalent.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:10 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Only problem with Pmags is that Magpul isn't making .45 ACP mags yet.

Given the popularity of the Glock 19 and 17 Pmags, I'm sure Magpul will bring out a .45 ACP version at some point. Until then, my only options for higher capacity G21 mags are the aforementioned Kriss mags, the Taran Tactical mag extensions and those Korean mags that fall apart if you look at them wrong.

I have no real need for an extra capacity G21 mag, but it's nice to have them if I feel like messing around at the range. :lol:

Magpul. That is what I meant to say. Oops.

No worries, MP. I knew what you meant.

I'd like to get some more of the AK Pmags since they lock up nice and tight on my Romanian AK. Metal mags and Tapco mags have a little bit of wobble, but the Magpul mags have zero wobble.

They wobble a little in my Hungarian AK, but that's because the mag release is a little oversized. Not enough to cause problems, though.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 am 

It's been my experience that AK's always cause problems especially in the hands of militants in third world countries. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:45 am 

Welp, I think it's time I start looking for guns for my gf. We went coyote hunting, and I gave her my XDM 9mm and found a holster she liked to carry it in. We spent 2 days wondering around, camping, and looking for coyotes/tracks. She's been asking to wear it around the house, and when we can go back out and camp and carry like that again.

So I think I'll be taking her to the range to try some smaller not fullsize pistols for her to carry. Now I'm really mad that a couple months ago I missed out on that LC9 that got sold while I was waiting for a range spot to open.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Halfapint wrote:
Welp, I think it's time I start looking for guns for my gf. We went coyote hunting, and I gave her my XDM 9mm and found a holster she liked to carry it in. We spent 2 days wondering around, camping, and looking for coyotes/tracks. She's been asking to wear it around the house, and when we can go back out and camp and carry like that again. So I think I'll be taking her to the range to try some smaller not fullsize pistols for her to carry. Now I'm really mad that a couple months ago I missed out on that LC9 that got sold while I was waiting for a range spot to open.
Do you think that she would like a G36? I have one that I want to sell.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:29 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
Welp, I think it's time I start looking for guns for my gf. We went coyote hunting, and I gave her my XDM 9mm and found a holster she liked to carry it in. We spent 2 days wondering around, camping, and looking for coyotes/tracks. She's been asking to wear it around the house, and when we can go back out and camp and carry like that again. So I think I'll be taking her to the range to try some smaller not fullsize pistols for her to carry. Now I'm really mad that a couple months ago I missed out on that LC9 that got sold while I was waiting for a range spot to open.

I'm not real familiar with Glocks, but that's a 45acp right? I'm not looking to stock another caliber right now, unfortunately. Looking for 9mm or 380 for her.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

I'm not real familiar with Glocks, but that's a 45acp right? I'm not looking to stock another caliber right now, unfortunately. Looking for 9mm or 380 for her.
Thats the single stack 45. One of the few Glocks I would not own. Another would be G42.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:23 pm 

I was able to fire one the other day, couldn't remember it which it was. It's a nice shooter, but the gf likes shooting the 9mm. However she doesn't like shooting my ppk/s 380 because it's to snappy, so I don't want to get her a 45acp. That and I don't want to stock 45acp.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Halfapint wrote:
I was able to fire one the other day, couldn't remember it which it was. It's a nice shooter, but the gf likes shooting the 9mm. However she doesn't like shooting my ppk/s 380 because it's to snappy, so I don't want to get her a 45acp. That and I don't want to stock 45acp.
Cool. Do ya need a Mossberg? :wink:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:35 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

need? no.... buuuuuut want? Perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Halfapint wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
need? no.... buuuuuut want? Perhaps?
Mossberg 500A. 12GA. Sling. 6-round SideSaddle. 4 cases of Royal Rio reduced-recoil 00 Buck. 1 box of I-dunno. Brushes & swabs. I bought it used in the pawn shop & never fired it. I have Neuropathy in my hands & forearms, so shooting it would be quite painful for me. I want to sell everything. I am willing to haggle.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:53 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Mossberg 500A. 12GA. Sling. 6-round SideSaddle. 4 cases of Royal Rio reduced-recoil 00 Buck. 1 box of I-dunno. Brushes & swabs. I bought it used in the pawn shop & never fired it. I have Neuropathy in my hands & forearms, so shooting it would be quite painful for me. I want to sell everything. I am willing to haggle.

Ouch, that's not good at all, I'm sorry to year. But message me, I'll think about it. I don't really want/need a shotgun...... But maybe. And right now I'm in the process for buying a house. So I've got to work out what my expenses are and how much I can afford. So when I figure it out I may be interested.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I think I found my next gun purchase today. :clap:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CHG3774GN&name=Century+Arms+Canik+TP9SFx+Semi-Auto+Pistol&groupid=6804

I have no need for a competition ready pistol, but this has a full sized grip whereas the TP9SF Elite I also want has a medium sized grip that might be too small for me.

It's only about 100 bucks more than the Elite too. Although if I can ever get the money my brother owes me, I can get both of them along with either a PSA AK or the Arsenal SLR-107R I want too. :D

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CHG3774GN&name=Century+Arms+Canik+TP9SFx+Semi-Auto+Pistol&groupid=6804

I have no need for a competition ready pistol, but this has a full sized grip whereas the TP9SF Elite I also want has a medium sized grip that might be too small for me.

It's only about 100 bucks more than the Elite too. Although if I can ever get the money my brother owes me, I can get both of them along with either a PSA AK or the Arsenal SLR-107R I want too. :D

It seems implied from the model designation that this is a 9mm, but nowhere in the specs does it actually seem to say that.

Or I'm blind and should think about getting a dog.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

KJ4VOV wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

It seems implied from the model designation that this is a 9mm, but nowhere in the specs does it actually seem to say that.

Or I'm blind and should think about getting a dog.

No, you're right. It doesn't say anything about the caliber in the description.

ETA: I just checked the other ads for the TP9 pistols and they all say '9mm' in the description and other parts of the ad.

I wonder why the TP9SFx doesn't ?

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:05 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Chimp: What kind of AK's do you have & what are your thoughts on them? I'm still thinking about getting that C39v2.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am 

MPMalloy wrote:
Chimp: What kind of AK's do you have & what are your thoughts on them? I'm still thinking about getting that C39v2.

I have not shot one, but last I checked, word on the web says it is a very good weapon. Not everything actually made by Century is supposed to be good, but that is supposed to be a winner.

This thread has discussion of the best AKs currently on the market.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... start=4128

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:27 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
I have not shot one, but last I checked, word on the web says it is a very good weapon. Not everything actually made by Century is supposed to be good, but that is supposed to be a winner. This thread has discussion of the best AKs currently on the market. http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... start=4128
Thanx.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:04 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MPMalloy wrote:

I've got a M+M M10 which is just a glorified WASR-10 and a Hungarian AMD-63 clone.

I like both of them, but the M10 is my favorite. The Hungarian AK I have is nice, but doing any kind of customization to it requires filing of the parts and some minor hand fitting. It's not a bad little rifle, but I like customizing my guns to fit me better and the Hungarian didn't really lend itself well to that.

As for the C39v2, if you can get one for a decent price, I'd go for it. It's one of the few AK rifles that Century managed to get right. I know the C39 was plagued with issues, like the safety lever causing the trigger to trip and some heat treatment issues with the trigger group, but I believe those issues were worked out with the C39v2.

ETA: M+M no longer makes the M10 because Century sued them awhile back, but Century has an M10 like rifle in their catalog called the RH10. It's basically an M10 with Magpul furniture on it.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
I've got a M+M M10 which is just a glorified WASR-10 and a Hungarian AMD-63 clone. I like both of them, but the M10 is my favorite. The Hungarian AK I have is nice, but doing any kind of customization to it requires filing of the parts and some minor hand fitting. It's not a bad little rifle, but I like customizing my guns to fit me better and the Hungarian didn't really lend itself well to that. As for the C39v2, if you can get one for a decent price, I'd go for it. It's one of the few AK rifles that Century managed to get right. I know the C39 was plagued with issues, like the safety lever causing the trigger to trip and some heat treatment issues with the trigger group, but I believe those issues were worked out with the C39v2. ETA: M+M no longer makes the M10 because Century sued them awhile back, but Century has an M10 like rifle in their catalog called the RH10. It's basically an M10 with Magpul furniture on it.
Thanks, Chimp. I'm thinking about the C39v2, sometime after the budget gets passed by Congress. I'm on SSDI & VACP. I'm don't want to spend all my money & then find out that I'm not going to be receiving any benefits. Also, I don't have SLR money.... :(

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:04 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I hear you, MP.

Work for me is kind of slow right now, but I'm getting things ready for a garage sale either the end of this month or possibly the first weekend of next month. I'm also helping out my mother with her furniture restoration business, so that's helping me out a lot.

By the way, the C39V2 has a milled receiver, so it'll weigh a bit more than a stamped receiver AK. That's something to consider if you decide to add stuff to it later on.

My M10 AK weighs close to about 7 and a half pounds or 8 pounds total with all the stuff I added to it.

I added a Troy Industries handguard, railed gas tube, a Magpul Zhukov-S stock, Magpul grip, and a AFG and a light to my rifle and it adds to the weight. The Hungarian AK weighs probably 7 pounds total even with the Magpul handguard, light mount, CTR stock and Vltor AK stock adapter.

I haven't really weighed them in awhile, so I'll have to get back to you with actual weights later.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I hear you, MP. Work for me is kind of slow right now, but I'm getting things ready for a garage sale either the end of this month or possibly the first weekend of next month. I'm also helping out my mother with her furniture restoration business, so that's helping me out a lot. By the way, the C39V2 has a milled receiver, so it'll weigh a bit more than a stamped receiver AK. That's something to consider if you decide to add stuff to it later on. My M10 AK weighs close to about 7 and a half pounds or 8 pounds total with all the stuff I added to it. I added a Troy Industries handguard, railed gas tube, a Magpul Zhukov-S stock, Magpul grip, and a AFG and a light to my rifle and it adds to the weight. The Hungarian AK weighs probably 7 pounds total even with the Magpul handguard, light mount, CTR stock and Vltor AK stock adapter. I haven't really weighed them in awhile, so I'll have to get back to you with actual weights later.
I want to keep things simple, so I'm thinking a scope is all. If I'm indoors, I'll be using a handgun. I finally got that scope put on my SKS & there is less-than-zer0 eye relief. :(

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:14 pm 

ETA: that moment when you realize you posted In the wrong thread- :oops:

Update on the trailer hitch wheel chair carrier:

It is too much trouble to use- let's take it off the truck and just use ramps.

:roll:

Last edited by Hiroshima_Morphine on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next