It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm 

I actually have tried several boxes of the Agulia short shells. My experience is no where near reliable in either of my two Mossberg model 500's. Like not even for dove hunting reliable let alone a life or death situation. Semi reliable in my Winchester 1300 defender. Enough so that I ran all the remaining shells thru it with only a few hiccups. I fired off what I had and have never looked at them again since. I would not recommend them to any one in a pump action shotgun. Break action would probably be fine especially if you were just hunting small birds like quail or dove.

If ammo capacity is your concern I would suggest normal size shells in either a magazine fed like the sagia or something like the new keltec that has dual magazine tubes. Sorry I don't remember the keltec model number off the top of my head, and pretty sure I misspelled the brand of shot shells I tried as well as the Russian magazine fed shotgun.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 pm 

flybynight wrote:
In what I've read so far. It won't work in any semi automatic shotgun. Mossberg 500 do not work reliably without changing the elevator assembly to one designed to chamber the shorter shells. And I don't know if this part will allow you to still chamber normal sized shells. I have not heard anything one way or the other about 870's

Hmm, Shorty is Mossberg. How to test this without spending >$20 for 20 shells that might not work. Cut a spent shell down to 1 3/4". And weight it. Think that would work? Or is it just not reliable, that will never work.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 pm 

I have two mossberg model 500's and neither one wanted to chamber the short shell when I cycled the action. I have no idea what it would take/require for them to cycle and feed the short shells as I don't really care enough to have them work in my guns. One big reason for this is that I have not seen the short shells in my AO since I first bought some to try many years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:24 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/OPSol-Mini-Clip/dp/B01F5REBUM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1487452770&sr=8-1&keywords=OPSol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:29 pm 

So far what I've read is works in Winchester 1300's Sometimes with Mossberg 500 series ( mini clip option but it is something that would have to be removed to return to normal sized shells ) . Not recommended for 870's but it like all the others needs to be tried , some work well. Others, not so much
I would think if you cut down some used shells to minishell size and maybe filled them with expanding foam for rigidity and weight . Might be a suitable try out

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'd rather stick with regular sized shells in my shotguns. I own a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500 bullpup and neither would work with the Aguila mini shells.

If I were in the market for some of those, I'd just buy a cheap single shot shotgun and use them in that. Matter of fact, I could go down to the local Walmarts and buy one of those Hatfield shotguns for about 100 bucks and use the mini shells in that gun.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:37 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I'd rather stick with regular sized shells in my shotguns. I own a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500 bullpup and neither would work with the Aguila mini shells.

If I were in the market for some of those, I'd just buy a cheap single shot shotgun and use them in that. Matter of fact, I could go down to the local Walmarts and buy one of those Hatfield shotguns for about 100 bucks and use the mini shells in that gun.

There should not be feeding problems in a single-shot.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

There should not be feeding problems in a single-shot.

The only issue I can think of would be extraction, but probably only if the extractor or ejector is damaged or broken. Even in that case, you could probably just pry out the spent shell with a pocket knife or a stick or something.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I really need to pick up a super cheap single shot shotgun for a project.

I also really need to pick up a 500/590/590A1 for another project.

But first I need to pick up a micro gas block and new front sight block for another project.

Oh and I need to pick up a Glock lower for another project. :clownshoes:

And a Savage Mk2 for another project.

THen coordinate with a machinist buddy on a MKIV project (which I'm REALLY hoping works the way I envision it, if it does I'll probably get my FFL and try to offer the service to others. But first, prototyping.).

I really need to stop with the projects. :crazy:

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Dogan wrote:
I really need to pick up a super cheap single shot shotgun for a project.

I also really need to pick up a 500/590/590A1 for another project.

But first I need to pick up a micro gas block and new front sight block for another project.

Oh and I need to pick up a Glock lower for another project. :clownshoes:

And a Savage Mk2 for another project.

THen coordinate with a machinist buddy on a MKIV project (which I'm REALLY hoping works the way I envision it, if it does I'll probably get my FFL and try to offer the service to others. But first, prototyping.).

I really need to stop with the projects. :crazy:

If the project is a 22/45 version of the new Ruger Mark IV, they already started making those. I guess someone at Ruger either is a ZS'er or they read the boards and saw me wishing for one.

And if you want a cheap single shot shotgun, go for the Hatfield one they sell at Walmart now. The reviews are pretty good on it and it'll only run you about 100 bucks (give or take a couple bucks for taxes). So if you mess up on it or decide you don't like it, you're not out much money. The resale value will be pretty low, though.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
If the project is a 22/45 version of the new Ruger Mark IV, they already started making those. I guess someone at Ruger either is a ZS'er or they read the boards and saw me wishing for one.

And if you want a cheap single shot shotgun, go for the Hatfield one they sell at Walmart now. The reviews are pretty good on it and it'll only run you about 100 bucks (give or take a couple bucks for taxes). So if you mess up on it or decide you don't like it, you're not out much money. The resale value will be pretty low, though.

It is something else that, to be honest, I'll probably show you guys when the first prototype is up and running, but rest assured it's not a 22/45 MKIV.

Resale value, I really don't care about to be honest. Would you say it's on par, fit and finish wise, with the old H&R or NEA singles?

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 pm 

Dogan wrote:

Resale value, I really don't care about to be honest. Would you say it's on par, fit and finish wise, with the old H&R or NEA singles?

From what I have seen of the old guns and the new one, the fit is on par. The finish is maybe not the same. "Utility" would be a good word for it. It is more than adequate for my tastes, but that does not do you much good :mrgreen:

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

It is something else that, to be honest, I'll probably show you guys when the first prototype is up and running, but rest assured it's not a 22/45 MKIV.

My only experience with the Hatfield shotguns is handling one at Walmart and deciding whether or not I needed one. It wasn't quite as nice as the H&R guns they used to sell, but for 100 bucks it's pretty good.

The fit of the metal parts seemed pretty good, but there were a lot of visible machine marks on the barrel and receiver. Nothing that would affect the function of it, just more of an aesthetic thing.

I might go buy a 20 gauge version because 12 gauge single shots kick like a MF'er and I don't yet own a 20 gauge.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:41 am 

My first (and only) shotgun is a H&R Pardner single in 20 gauge. It's a nice gun, I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a single shot. It's already been promised to my son, I hope it becomes an heirloom gun for the family. The family I grew up in is 'pro guns', but not 'PRO GUNS!'- we haven't passed on heirloom guns before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
My first (and only) shotgun is a H&R Pardner single in 20 gauge. It's a nice gun, I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a single shot. It's already been promised to my son, I hope it becomes an heirloom gun for the family. The family I grew up in is 'pro guns', but not 'PRO GUNS!'- we haven't passed on heirloom guns before.

So far all of my guns have become heirloom guns for my oldest nephew. Kid gets excited every time I bring home a new one since he hopes to get them all after I'm dead. Which he will since he's the only one who has expressed interest in my hobby.

And I've never owned a single shot anything before, but I probably should at least get one to fill that gap. I'd love a Sharps replica, but those are like 2 grand or more. The closest thing to a Quigley rifle I'll get to is one of those H&R Buffalo Hunter rifles in .45-70.

Speaking of Quigley rifles, I actually bid on one that Tom Selleck was auctioning off a long time ago. I caught it right at the beginning and bid 100 bucks since no one else had bid yet. It got close to the end of the auction and my bid was still highest and I thought for sure I was going to get it. I went to work pretty happy and came back later to find I had been outbid by a couple grand.

Needless to say, I did not end up with the Quigley rifle. :(

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:54 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

So far all of my guns have become heirloom guns for my oldest nephew. Kid gets excited every time I bring home a new one since he hopes to get them all after I'm dead. Which he will since he's the only one who has expressed interest in my hobby.

And I've never owned a single shot anything before, but I probably should at least get one to fill that gap. I'd love a Sharps replica, but those are like 2 grand or more. The closest thing to a Quigley rifle I'll get to is one of those H&R Buffalo Hunter rifles in .45-70.

Speaking of Quigley rifles, I actually bid on one that Tom Selleck was auctioning off a long time ago. I caught it right at the beginning and bid 100 bucks since no one else had bid yet. It got close to the end of the auction and my bid was still highest and I thought for sure I was going to get it. I went to work pretty happy and came back later to find I had been outbid by a couple grand.

I'm sure it was for a charity, Tom probably had a guaranteed amount he would donate and 'buy back' the rifle if it didn't meet it-

But damn! Sorry for your loss- that sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:57 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I'm sure it was for a charity, Tom probably had a guaranteed amount he would donate and 'buy back' the rifle if it didn't meet it-

But damn! Sorry for your loss- that sucks.

No worries, Hiro. I'm sure the rifle went to a collector and fan of the movie who'd take better care of it than a goofy 20 year old would've. I had zero knowledge of valuable guns back then, so I'd probably have ended up trading it off for something stupid or neglecting it in some way.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 am 

So I went to one of the local firearms shelters yesterday and I ended up adopting a rescue G23 for $450. It was a factory reworked Gen 3 and so far it appears to be house broken.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 am 

zobmiedown wrote:
So I went to one of the local firearms shelters yesterday and I ended up adopting a rescue G23 for $450. It was a factory reworked Gen 3 and so far it appears to be house broken.

:clap: interesting analogy, I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

zobmiedown wrote:

That's funny... :clap:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 am 

I have been seriously considering going back and adopting it's sibling that was in the cage right next to it for the same price. I even got 6 of the 22 kibble feed mags so it does not go undernourished.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

zobmiedown wrote:
I have been seriously considering going back and adopting it's sibling that was in the cage right next to it for the same price. I even got 6 of the 22 kibble feed mags so it does not go undernourished.
:crazy:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:32 am 

Well I went into town yesterday to get one plastic plano ammo can for my g23 mags and ended up picking up a new DPMS LR308 on sale for $750. I then went to one of the local fun stores to get a set of Magpul handguards for it and ended up also leaving with a used S&W M&P15 with a slidefire stock for $550 as well. Now I am waiting for my daughter to get home from school so her and I can go run some mags through both and I want to run one of the Magpul 60 round drums through the M&P15 for shits and giggles too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:49 am 

zobmiedown wrote:
Well I went into town yesterday to get one plastic plano ammo can for my g23 mags and ended up picking up a new DPMS LR308 on sale for $750. I then went to one of the local fun stores to get a set of Magpul handguards for it and ended up also leaving with a used S&W M&P15 with a slidefire stock for $550 as well. Now I am waiting for my daughter to get home from school so her and I can go run some mags through both and I want to run one of the Magpul 60 round drums through the M&P15 for shits and giggles too.

:shock:
Is that an actual 'LR-308' with the 24" bull barrel? Last time I priced one of those it was $1200.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/LR-308_ep_124-1.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 108  Next