It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:21 pm 

I notice the article in the OP specifically refers to rural teens having access. Around here, there is a drug pickup program one day out of the year and you have to have your meds in the original prescription bottle with your name on it. I didn't know that at first and got rid of my bottles to save space (in my state, there was no law that your prescription meds had to be kept in the prescription bottle - at least not the types of meds I was getting). Now I know to keep stuff in the bottles for turn-in and I have a bag that annoyingly takes up a lot of space because of the bottles and this year I couldn't make it to the event, so I have to wait yet another year with these meds in my possession. The pharmacies in town used to have a mail-in program, but they stopped that.

I can understand, under these kinds of circumstances, how rural teens have greater access to prescription drugs. It's a real challenge out here to get rid of unwanted meds. I do wish the police department would take pills all year round and not be so restrictive about how they receive them so I don't have to figure out what to do with them.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:43 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

LowKey wrote:
duodecima wrote:
I'll have to check my city - just found out that the police departments will take drugs to dispose of year round. Don't know if they take controlled substances - but they might since they've already got people who have to deal with chain of custody stuff.

Burn them.

I am leery of that method because I'm not sure what some stuff would give off - maybe nothing dangerous but I'd hate to make that assumption. (Chemists, pharmacists, feel free to chime in...) I'd rather the official disposal people incinerate since they know what the hell they're doing. And turns out I do have that option, all 3 of the closest police stations will take unused prescriptions of any sort.

But, if all else was failing, it would surely render the pills unusable/unattractive for abuse...