It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:52 pm 

I purchase bulk powered humus at my local co-op. They sell it at a 10% discount if I purchase the 30 pound unopened bag. Which is cost effective for me because I luv the taste of it and use it every day. (Mostly I make it thin for drinking, like an instant cup-o-soup)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:05 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Another cheap prep for anyone with kids are the old-fashioned Kool-Aid packets that you add your own sugar to. They are 4 for $1 at my grocery store. So could be good to have around during a SHTF situation for kids. And if you don't use them before they lose their flavor, at that price, fairly disposable. I think the pink lemonade would be useful as vodka mixer, too :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:08 am 

I learned last year that I can harvest the pods off the wild mesquite trees on my property and grind it into a very healthy flour. It's packed full of all kind of healthy things, good for baking and has helped everyone I know that gets migraines get relief in an average of 15 minutes. So for those with mesquite growing in their area it's something to look into.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

raistlin wrote:
Another cheap prep for anyone with kids are the old-fashioned Kool-Aid packets that you add your own sugar to. They are 4 for $1 at my grocery store. So could be good to have around during a SHTF situation for kids. And if you don't use them before they lose their flavor, at that price, fairly disposable. I think the pink lemonade would be useful as vodka mixer, too :)

If you have a Dollar Tree, you can pick up the single packets that have like 10 or 20 in a box (depending on what kind you get from what I've seen) for $1.00. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:18 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

ZP...went to Target the other day...lol. That would be my 2nd trip in 2 years. I realize though that I miss it really badly, so I think I'm gonna get back into the swing of things. Paying retail just HURTS.

Pic is missing the gallon of milk. The kid had put it away and I forgot about it. There was a purpose to this trip and what I bought. If you can't see it all, there is coffee creamer, milk, peanut butter, eggs, cheese, bagels, tortillas, canola oil, spam (my kid likes it), strawberries and more that was bought in that trip. I wanted to show that you really can buy REAL food with coupons and still save. Yes, there is 9 boxes of cereal too. My kid and husband will have that gone in 2 months...lol.

ETA: Sorry for the banner and URL on the pic. It was done for Instagram and I don't have the original anymore so it's either leave it there or not share. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:51 pm 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
prepper7 wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:
The Poor Man's Prepping: 'free' coffee maker filters for draining debris out of water in a crisis

Good score. If they are the Melitta-type cone filters, they will need a support to prevent the side/bottom seam from failing. I made a portable one from an heavy plastic bag after seeing the Aqua Pouch Plus pre filters. For home use, a pour-over brewer would work.

I found that a foldable funnel works well for these filters. The funnel I got was hanging on a display in the aisle at my grocery store, and has about a 6inch wide end, with a button type of closure molded in. I stick the filters into the funnel, and snap it shut for storage in my BOB.

Update on this filter/funnel:
I have found that, while it is apparently designed to store flat, it REALLY doesn't like to. The folded edges on BOTH funnels were split and useless inside of a year. This is stored inside a bag, so UV light or chemicals were NOT a factor. Just a good idea, poorly executed, it seems. As a result, and because I still really, really, like the idea, I'm keeping an eye open for a silicone funnel I can use instead. The poly-something funnel just ain't cuttin' it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:01 pm 

Amazon charges sales tax for me now. It is 8%. I think I will start shifting my prep buys to other on line venues.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:36 pm 

zombiepreparation wrote:
An update on the products I mentioned here ages ago for doing home laundry.
The Breathing Hand Washer and the Wonder Wash.
I still use both. I am still very happy with both. Each has its place in what I wash; The Breathing Hand Washer in a mid-size plastic tub for blankets and other large bulky items that need more room and more water to get clean. The Wonder Wash for everything else.

Tips:
1. You must must must devise a lint catcher. You can look and look at the water and swear there's not enough lint to bother with. And you will be 'wrong'. I did tests. Washing makes a s@$#-load of lint. And it 'will' accumulate in the pipes, whether they are your pipes or the apartment/rental place's pipes. They 'will' clog the pipes if you do all your laundry like I do. You MUST devise a lint catcher. I use the simple method of old pantyhose from yard sales for pennies. Using the bathtub to wash in, then draining the water, is just asking ... begging... for clogged pipes. I'm very very serious about this lint catcher thing.
2. I have more success or it is easier maybe if I wash something nearly every day rather than saving it up like for a regular washer load.
3. My laundry comes out cleaner when I wash one item or a small group of socks/under ware at a time.
4. I rinse more times than the instructions on the Wonder Wash direct me.
5. I use only the tiniest bit of laundry soap. Tiniest.
6. I love having drying items everyday in the winter when the static electricity starts. It raises the humidity in my apartment. Keeps away that dried out feeling my sinuses get in the winter.

I am very happy with both of these products. I find it difficult to use them in the summer when humidity is high because I'm an apartment dweller and have to dry everything indoors. And it takes forEVer to dry them. But fall, winter, & spring work well.
Update regarding my own use of these two products:
Am still using them.
Am still satisfied with them.
Am more careful with my Wonder Wash now because Be Warned through operator error I broke the first one I owned by not 'seating' the drum part well on the stand parts that suspend it and using too heavy a load of water in the drum. With each turn of the drum it was breaking out bits of the stand part which quickly (in minutes) caused an irreparable collapse of the unit. And like Humpty Dumpty couldn't be put back together again. So with my second one I now never disassemble it when putting it away to avoid even tiny error in reassembling. And I am ever mindful of the water weight I'm using in it, making much smaller loads than YouTube videos demonstrate.

Since the beginning of my use of these two products I have felt plagued with the wringing part of the washing:
I feel it necessary to wring the items between the soaped washing and the rinses I have settled into using to reduce the rewashing/rinsing in left-over not fresh water. Don't be fooled into thinking washing by hand with these mechanisms is a breeze. It may easy, but it is also time consuming and can be tiring. And that wringing wringing wringing is something I've fought with since I began using these products.
1 - Hand wringing isn't easy over the long haul
2 - I've found hand wringing distorts the material; stretching.
3 - I do not think this twisting is good for the material. I'm noticing wear on my washed items over time that I equate with the battering they go through with all the wringing.

But see, to me the wringing is necessary to each step as the washing Clean proceeds and I've found it to be really necessary in the air drying part; the wetter the items the longer they take to dry. Which on a back yard line wouldn't make much of a difference. But inside the tiny apartment, especially when the humidity is even in the 20s, makes drying a challenge. Takes too long, too many steps in turning so every part of item gets air, sets up a condition to breed mold, and the dripping as the even well hand wrung and/or twisted from a shower bar still has significant water accumulating as gravity pulls it downward. Just too much of being too much with wringing or throwing up my hands and letting the items drip themselves into a less watery state in the shower before bringing them out to dry.

Have looked into alternatives like the squeeze roller thing and many other ideas and suggestions. Have not found one I could a) afford, b) had space to store when not laundering, c) could set up without building structures or attachments to existing wall, d) various other things.

Today, for as long as it holds up (which according to product reviews of this item might not be all that long) I have been given a used and 'wash cycle' broken tiny apartment-size washer with a spin cycle that still works.

This item rolls without effort, stores outside of the bathroom in a very small space, and reviews are all over the internet of dissatisfied users from breakdowns and general frustration with it.

But today it was free to me, today the spin cycle worked. Though using the cycle between laundry stages is a new source for personal frustration. On the other hand it totally eliminated hand wringing, has permitted me as a personal choice in my washing to reduce the number of times I change the water I'm washing and rinsing in. As well as eliminating the what I perceive to be damaging of the items being laundered. And larger items like sheets and jeans are just the worst in my ability to wring effectively between clean water usages.

So that's a huge plus to me.

1. I can wash longer in the same water and, as long as this broken little machine with many bad reviews lasts with a working spin cycle continues to work, it 'spins' out the water in the items at least ten times better than I even can by hand.
2. So the first rinse I make has not only the clean water I use.... but tens times Less soapy or whatever water that was held in the items being put in the fresh water. So I can rinse longer in the fresh water. And rinse long in the second rinse. (Where before I've been using four and five rinses/wringing/rinsing/wringing/repeat depending on the heaviness or size of items)
3. The laundered items are not being stretched or otherwise damaged by heavy manhandling.
4. The items are immediately ready to hang to dry because of so much less water in them that I've previously needed a couple of hours hanging time in the shower to drain & squeeze & drain & squeeze as gravity did its work on water left in them before they have been Ready for hanging to dry.

So for today at least I am considering this a Win.

And as, living in a multi-level multi-unit apartment building which is very very vulnerable, I have been expecting as I've watched the national reporting of (and prepping for).... bedbugs have reached this building. Which has now, as per every known reporting being made by all authorities studying this nationally spreading infestation, made the building's laundry facilities a point for spreading them, so to be avoided. Especially since there is now a run on the facilities, with residents, especially the residents with confirmed reports & remediation measures being taken by management (one of which is to wash Everything), bringing multiple loads of laundry, bedding, etc., to our facilities..... and just sitting there waiting for washers without containing the waiting items until they can get a washer.

So I am in bug-in mode from the laundry facilities here even if I had the $$ to use them. (Price for washers keeps increasing) And interesting to the facilities point in spreading the pests comes at the same time they've reduced the water temperature to the building from 120degrees to 101degrees (this is legal), and and dropped the water each washer uses by 2/3rd amount without the washers being changed out to being Actual water conserving washers, and by design do not fully drain wash water before adding the one and only rinse filling. They're just setting less water to be used, then partially reused, in the old non-water conserving washers.

And today I am experiencing gratefulness:
I began gathering and practicing using hand washing products to supplement my $$ in use of laundry facility long before it was truly necessary. (I think it's maybe Raptor whom I saw say: we practice during the easy times to be ready in the necessary times)
I've been educating myself on these pests since 2011 when I first heard about their resurgence with a chemical resistant vengeance. And 2014 began the Bedbugs and food prep storage thread in ZS to aid in my education from those in ZS who had or are going through this themselves.
Just like any prepping What If scenario, I've also been prepping for their eventual inevitable arrival as I am an urban dweller living in a structure that all reports show is especially vulnerable to their appearance and way above challenging to control much less eradicate, so gives me foreknowledge on avoidance the building laundry facilities while this goes on here.
And that at least for today, I have a machine that is giving me a break - as long as it lasts - from wringing laundry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 pm 

zombiepreparation wrote:
duodecima wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:
duodecima wrote:
Sprouting is easy! I had never done it before,I followed directions on a food storage blog, (using an old nylon stocking over mason jar with wheat in it, turn upside down in bowl in kitchen cabinet.) Worked like a charm! No fancy sprouting racks needed.
You now have my full attention. Give me one, only one, seed I can start with and I'll begin. You mentioned wheat. Should I start there? If so, please, tell me what 'kind' of wheat I look for. Thanks.

Here are the directions I used. I did not use the fancy sprouting tray, like I said, I used a mason jar and put an old nylon over the opening. I turned it upside down in a bown and put in in a kitchen cabinet, except for the intial overnight soak. You could use any glass jar and a rubber band and nylon if you didn't have a spare mason jar. (Heck, I wonder if an old plastic bottle would work.)

I did use wheat, but since this is Poor Man's Prepping, I'd go with lentils like they did in the directions - they're less than a buck a pound, and you can use the rest for something else. Or go someplace with wheat in bulk bins so you can buy just a small amount.

(And the cheapest place I've found for Mag bars yet was Harbor Freight.)

I have SPROUTS!!! I did it! I followed your lead, used a small bowl and a stocking. Works beautifully. I went to the URL you gave me and am following directions. I have bulk (small) quinoa just sitting in the fridge and pulled out 'just a little to give it a try' after reading it's a good sprouter. And I have my first sprouts ever! They will be ready for greening tomorrow. I just noticed I have bulk (small) barley too so I went to the site to see about sprouting it. Yup. It's a sprouter too. Today I will give barley a try.

Thanks!

For heaven's sake. (Clearly I'm rereading this thread from its beginning) It's been a couple of years now that I've forgotten about sprouting! And I've been unexpectedly severely strapped for $$ over the last two (and coming two) months for purchase of fresh foods (rather than canned, dehydrated, and frozen from my food preps). Sprouting. For heaven's sake. I could have had fresh sprouts to supplement nutrients and taste during this belt tightening time. <facepalm>

Last edited by zombiepreparation on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:44 pm 

vetvet wrote:
Leisure learning time is over when that disaster strikes.

Ah. Here's another version of it from vetvet:
"Leisure learning time is over when that disaster strikes"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:24 am 

About the sprouts:

So back a couple of years ago when I was doing sprouts I was doing it way to0 big for me at the time. (tiny apartment, tiny tiny kitchen, one person doing the eating) I was following great instructions that worked great on the internet; blogs, web sites, YouTube. And I remember feeling moved out of my kitchen with all the quart jars holding various stages of sprouting. :lol: I remember it feeling cumbersome, I only had one real screen, and never caught on to the various other coverings for the draining part.

This time when going back for an internet refresher course I found this video first:
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGSzktw2S3A[/YouTube]

I'd never seen it done with strainers, or as she calls it - sieves. So I tried it. It was so much less work, the sprouts worked so much better. Then of course I started modifying it because, again, takes up so much space. And space I don't have.

Don't remember how I got there but ended up using my wide-mouth half pint jars. Was talking to my neighbor who used to do lots of sprouting and is moving in with her daughter who also sprouts religiously and she gave me half a dozen sprout lids. She had a 'draining' rack and though I didn't take it because it was a bulky wooden thing (I had mental issues of mold) it got me on the right track; I could use a draining rack. In between my last sprouting effort and this one I acquired one of those little shelves, this size but with only on shelf:

It holds 6 tipped for draining half pint jars in about a 7 or 8 in square. I've got the ready made lids now so am not struggling with that anymore, I've got the draining rack, I'm sprouting me-sized two meal servings in each jar, when the sprouts are ready I eat half and put the jar (with air tight lid) in the fridge to eat the second day.

This is all of a sudden so easy; one jar soaking, one jar on the first day of rinsing/draining, one jar on the second day rinse/drain, one jar beginning to sprout, one jar sprouting bunches, the last jar sprouted enough to be eaten the next day, one jar in the fridge.

A regular production line that takes up 8" of room and produces live food everyday for one person in a tiny apartment.

Okay. Now I can see this is going to be big in my own Poor Mans Prepping; low cost/high yield/excellent nutrition to supplement my severely nutrient deficient can goods.

So how do I store 'bulk' sprouting seeds?

My first sprouting was with this wonderful Packaged Quinoa. Or so I thought. Organic, shelf stable packaging. Good, right?

Didn't sprout. And the package was only a couple months old and not even past the Use By date. So that gets me thinking something that happened in the packaging process does something I don't like.

So I went to the local co-op and bought about 4 tablespoons of about a dozen seeds & sunflowers. They're all sprouting just fine. Quinua began sprouting the second rinse/drain day.

So I'm thinking I need to buy bulk for storage. Except for a pre-packaged 'advantage' it's way cheaper.

I figure (rightly or wrongly so comments are invited) if I had fourteen quart jars filled with fourteen kinds of sprout seeds and nuts that could be a year's worth. I don't think beans and legumes would need much jar sterilization or oxygen absorbers. They don't seem to need anything to last for five years.

But, do the others need to be 'stored' in sterile jars with oxygen and desiccant pouches to keep them from getting bacteria or some other thing that'll make me sick? Do they need to be stored in a refrigerator? (tiny tiny fridge, no room for that many jars)

Or are the seeds just like regular ole seeds that you just put in a bag in the dark, therefore a quart jar in a paper bag? (nuts is a refrigerator and/or freezer thing but there wouldn't be fourteen of 'them')

I 'prefer' to use glass if possible because of the now indisputable plastic bleed and with never even knowing what kind of plastic being used. Food grade is short term only, BPA is out of the question anymore, studies are conclusively showing BPS is worse.

Ball and Kerr 'canning' jars is what I'd prefer.

Any ideas on storing seeds for three years in a jar? Because that would three years of nutrient loaded food for a maybe a few hundred dollars from what I'm figuring. And I could buy small amounts at a time to build the store up to quart. Like I do my other Poor Mans Prepping storage... a little bit here, a little bit there, over time.

Last edited by zombiepreparation on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:26 pm 

I'm probably spouting stuff you already know, and keep in mind we kept them for the garden not sprouting...
From what I can tell, most just like cool, dry and dark (or frozen).
I have read they need under a certain percentage of moisture left (5 - 7 I think, but since who can measure that) just keep an eye on any condensation.
An old way was to put a packet of dry milk at the bottom and change it out once or twice a year, but silica gel would work better if you feel you need something as it wouldn't need changing.

I have a old Bacos jar full of alfalfa seeds I've had for 15 - 20 years on a shelf in my kitchen next to the nuts. It was given to me by my mother-in-law before she died.
Every year I sprout and eat a few from that jar as tribute to her.
The last few years they haven't sprouted as well as they used to...
So I'd guess they had been very good for 10 - 15 years sitting on the shelf.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:01 pm 

Thanks ZG.

I've been successfully sprouting several seeds/legumes. I have been unsuccessful with others, which I don't bother with anymore. Or at least at this time. Overall my sprouting is working out well with little-to-no hassle or bother.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 pm 

In Poor Man's Prepping style I've been months into finding a new GHB that accommodates my newest physical reality; inability to "carry" all but the lightest weight for more than a couple of blocks.

The rolling backpack has been my focus.

I can find all kinds of yard sale kids pop-culture decorated rolling backpacks. Which though I would happily play dress-up in public many days of the year in addition to Halloween, Mardi Gras, medieval festivals, reenactments, rainbow gatherings, and such, doing so 'without' an occasion to blame it on as an older adult is not necessarily smiled warmly upon.

So outside of getting a kid's Superman or Spiderman or Hello Kitty rolling backpack I have been unable to find just a boring looking un-decorated rolling backpack that wasn't a full-sized airline carry-on until yesterday. 'Yard sale!!' $2!!! Boring gray!!! Doesn't have that 'new' look that might invite ne'er-do-wells' attention!!! But also in good condition!!!

Poor Man's Prepping

A challenge it presented me was only three zippered compartments. Two small and the main bag area. It does have the two open side-pockets for water bottles and stuff ne'er-do-wells wouldn't in everyday situations be typically ripping off. But since I'm a public transportation user this bag will often travel with me in everyday situations, so I needed more 'compartments' than this bag offered to accommodate my GHB things like rain, food, FAK, heat/cold/bugs, etc., along with what one would ordinarily carry in pockets or purse depending on gender and necessity.

As always my go-to is ziplocks of all different sizes though as I knew to get to one it would be riffling through and under multiple others. I can not fully convey how 'that' annoys me: 'where is it, which bag' And in an Event I would be sorting through and lifting up see through bags of 'stuff' in those ziplocks.... that ne'er-do-wells might want. Best not to let them know I have much of anything.

So how do I adapt this bag to be able to know exactly where to reach to get a flashlight, or food, a knife, medication, etc., w/out revealing what else I may be carrying?

If you can believe it I finally settled on plain old file folders. :lol:

As it turns out the width of the main compartment is exactly the size of a file folder turned on its end. And the folder maintains better stability if I leave it intact rather than separating the two halves.

And again with my "I can not fully convey" business, but this time I'm meaning it's great!

Who woulda thunk three manila colored file folders turned on end in a backpack main compartment would give me 7, yes SEVEN, sub-compartments in which to conceal my GHB necessities for a non-extreme 1-2 day 5 mile get home on foot trek under the boring stuff everybody carries anyway. With each GHB item easily located without digging and moving and lifting out 'anything' to reach it! And it rolls! And is a backpack for attaching it to myself if I have to sleep!

Plus, since I'm using so many ziplocks containing the separate GHB 'groupings' I have ziplocks aplenty to hold extra water if it comes to that. Or hydrate some of my food like oatmeal. Or make sun tea. Or wash out socks. Or......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 pm 

Oh, and I forgot to mention.

A couple of weeks back I noticed this thread Cheap, light weight, compact shoes for your BOB which I found to be very interesting. I said I must have a pair!

But at this time, another When It Rains It Pours financial output time, my budget belt is pulled so tight even the $10 sale price if I could be lucky enough to catch them on sale is a dream at this time even though I must eventually get a pair of them.

Last year in the awful heat that stretched into too many days being out in shoes and socks would get unbearably hot. Though going the many places I would be going also demanded more foot support than wangling around in filp-flops. And sitting at a bus stop in the heat with your feet feeling like they were in a furnace still wasn't the place to sit there barefoot. It can be done of course, but then it's the way doing so would be frowned upon.

But these shoes looked just the ticket! They have no weight, wrap up small for carrying, and could be slipped on while my other shoes are taking a cool down inconspicuously in a casual more socially smiled upon manner because I'm still 'wearing' shoes. :)

So even though I couldn't afford them I thought I'd YouTube them to see what I'm missing.

Damn. People everywhere are Making Their Own. All kinds of DIY videos. Lots of people using paracord. 'I' have paracord. Now what do I have to make the sole so I can see if 'I' can make a pair.

I had a pair of Christmas present slippers I will never use. So I used my x-acto knife to take everything off but the padded soles.

I made a pair. They are terrific. I've been wearing them around home for a couple of weeks now.

So after that successful trail run and in Poor Man's Prepping style I made myself a second pair from some of those blue shoe insert padding things I'd had for-ev-er and was never going to use. They work perfectly and in an emergency situation can be slipped on in a sleep area, or at a bus stop in heat crushing temperatures to give both my feet and shoes a little socially acceptable cool down while waiting for the bus. They weigh nothing and wrap into two little cylinders to store in my GHB.

And videos that showed how I can recycle a pair of flip flops that broke a strap. Same thing: Just replace the straps with new paracord straps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

ZOMBIEPREPARATION!!!!

Hiyas! :lol:

On wringing, I have a Wonder Wash that I use for some things. What I've found that works fairly well is to just stick everything back in it dry and spin another cycle as if y ou were washing. It won't wring all of it out but it will ring a lot of the excess water w/out having to twist or wring the clothing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 pm 

I have the wonderwash as well. Came with a cracked frame, but the company misunderstood me, now I have 2 tubs. Also have a spin dryer. Works well for what it is. If I ever have more time than money, Ill pull it out again. Also, I bought golf balls to use in the wonderwash. Good tip for washing.

I bought a hole punch to make alcohol stove out of cat food cans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

zombiepreparation wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention.

A couple of weeks back I noticed this thread Cheap, light weight, compact shoes for your BOB which I found to be very interesting. I said I must have a pair!

But at this time, another When It Rains It Pours financial output time, my budget belt is pulled so tight even the $10 sale price if I could be lucky enough to catch them on sale is a dream at this time even though I must eventually get a pair of them.

Last year in the awful heat that stretched into too many days being out in shoes and socks would get unbearably hot. Though going the many places I would be going also demanded more foot support than wangling around in filp-flops. And sitting at a bus stop in the heat with your feet feeling like they were in a furnace still wasn't the place to sit there barefoot. It can be done of course, but then it's the way doing so would be frowned upon.

But these shoes looked just the ticket! They have no weight, wrap up small for carrying, and could be slipped on while my other shoes are taking a cool down inconspicuously in a casual more socially smiled upon manner because I'm still 'wearing' shoes. :)

So even though I couldn't afford them I thought I'd YouTube them to see what I'm missing.

Damn. People everywhere are Making Their Own. All kinds of DIY videos. Lots of people using paracord. 'I' have paracord. Now what do I have to make the sole so I can see if 'I' can make a pair.

I had a pair of Christmas present slippers I will never use. So I used my x-acto knife to take everything off but the padded soles.

I made a pair. They are terrific. I've been wearing them around home for a couple of weeks now.

So after that successful trail run and in Poor Man's Prepping style I made myself a second pair from some of those blue shoe insert padding things I'd had for-ev-er and was never going to use. They work perfectly and in an emergency situation can be slipped on in a sleep area, or at a bus stop in heat crushing temperatures to give both my feet and shoes a little socially acceptable cool down while waiting for the bus. They weigh nothing and wrap into two little cylinders to store in my GHB.

And videos that showed how I can recycle a pair of flip flops that broke a strap. Same thing: Just replace the straps with new paracord straps.

I believe that what the Xero Shoes were based on used old tires for the soles.

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm 

goofygurl wrote:
ZOMBIEPREPARATION!!!!

On wringing, I have a Wonder Wash that I use for some things. What I've found that works fairly well is to just stick everything back in it dry and spin another cycle as if y ou were washing. It won't wring all of it out but it will ring a lot of the excess water w/out having to twist or wring the clothing.

Hiyas back atcha, goofygurl!

Long time!

As is typical of ya, you've once again offered a tip that hadn't occurred to me and looks fantastic in its simplicity.

Good to see you again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

zombiepreparation wrote:
goofygurl wrote:
ZOMBIEPREPARATION!!!!

Hiyas back atcha, goofygurl!

Long time!

As is typical of ya, you've once again offered a tip that hadn't occurred to me and looks fantastic in its simplicity.

Good to see you again.

PM me your email address. I have something for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 pm 

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Also, I bought golf balls to use in the wonderwash. Good tip for washing.

golf balls?

I must see this ... and YouTube is bound to have videos!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 pm 

CG wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:
I believe that what the Xero Shoes were based on used old tires for the soles.

No kidding. Back in the day I had friends who wore tire sandals they'd made. So that's what the were doing..........

I guess I'm a little late to the dance again.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:57 pm 

It may sound weird but airlines often give passangers new bags for lightly damaged ones. They cant do anything about them but throw them away a lot of the time. If you go into an airport and ask one of the major airlines if they have any damaged bags, they will often just GIVE them to you. I've found this to be true in a lot of different situations and places. So don't be afraid of asking. I once got a 20lb chunk of chocolate because it didn't temper well, for free. I YEARS ago we'd go to a local organic juice factory and ask them if they had any rejects, misfills, or ones nearing the "use by date" and would drive away with 40 bottles of varying sizes for free.

I know stuff like the juice is not long term preps, but we used to mix them with other fruits and make it thicker and make fruit leather, which lasted a lot longer. So don't be afraid to ask for free stuff from places.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:58 pm 

zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Also, I bought golf balls to use in the wonderwash. Good tip for washing.

golf balls?

I must see this ... and YouTube is bound to have videos!!

Dont know the term, but helps with getting dirt out of fabric. Beats it, so to speak. Works pretty good, actually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next