It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:29 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am
Posts: 1120
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 128 times
^^ Agree


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 pm
Posts: 601
Location: South Florida
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 30 times
I figure this sorta fits here.

We recently had to remove all our DVDs from their rack because our two year old wouldn't leave them alone. We didn't want our DVDs to get ruined. So they went into plastic tubs with lids. Now I have an DVD rack. It's the perfect size for a can rack. I have very tiny pantry and little cupboard space in our apartment so this was the perfect solution. Now I have room in my pantry for more food.

_________________
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:25 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am
Posts: 1120
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Nice tip! :clap:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:36 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
Hey ya'll,

Have a request...

I'm wanting to do a post on my blog of EXTREME frugal tips and tricks, but I'm stuck at like 3...lol.

Would you guys mind pitching in on some of the stuff you've done that might be considered extreme? (LOL I've already got the washing clothes thing that ZP has us all doing...lol)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:36 am 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am
Posts: 1120
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 128 times
LOL


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
Well! You were the inspiration behind that! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:51 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 2609
Location: Coastal SC
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 319 times
Extreme imo is using a condom as a water bottle.

_________________
jnathan wrote:
Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 pm
Posts: 601
Location: South Florida
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Also the zinc oxide sunscreen that is famously seen on lifeguard noses is the same as Desitin which is used for diaper rash.

_________________
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:45 am 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:37 pm
Posts: 135
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
goofygurl wrote:
Hey ya'll,

Have a request...

I'm wanting to do a post on my blog of EXTREME frugal tips and tricks, but I'm stuck at like 3...lol.

Would you guys mind pitching in on some of the stuff you've done that might be considered extreme? (LOL I've already got the washing clothes thing that ZP has us all doing...lol)



A DIY hammock from a bed sheet or scrap fabric may be considered extreme. Also very cool.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:52 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
NamelessStain wrote:
Extreme imo is using a condom as a water bottle.



Yeah I would say that's pretty extreme....ew. LOL


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:52 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
Ty LyraJean and prtp3warrior :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:19 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 2609
Location: Coastal SC
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 319 times
goofygurl wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:
Extreme imo is using a condom as a water bottle.



Yeah I would say that's pretty extreme....ew. LOL


A little note: Non-lubricated and no spermicide. Ribbed is optional. :rofl:

_________________
jnathan wrote:
Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 pm 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:37 pm
Posts: 135
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
goofygurl wrote:
Ty LyraJean and prtp3warrior :)

Oh and a penny alcohol stove.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:38 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:10 pm
Posts: 922
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 48 times
goofygurl wrote:
Hey ya'll,

Have a request...

I'm wanting to do a post on my blog of EXTREME frugal tips and tricks, but I'm stuck at like 3...lol.

Would you guys mind pitching in on some of the stuff you've done that might be considered extreme? (LOL I've already got the washing clothes thing that ZP has us all doing...lol)


Not sure how EXTREME these are to you, but I have done them all.

1. Dumpster diving for vegetables to can.
2. Road kill for dinner.
3. Washing styrofoam plates and plastic utensils for re-use.
4. Getting the last hit from someone else's cigarette that was previously in an ashtray.
5. Pallet (free) garden filled with black gold from #6.
6. Pallet (free) compost bin filled with the cast off parts from #1.

In my defense, I was much younger, and a LOT more broke than I am now for a few of those, although I still see too much decent produce wasted at grocery stores, and not enough people taking home that deer that just trashed the front end of their car now lying in the ditch.

_________________
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:57 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am
Posts: 1120
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Something I now consider indispensable and possibly not ordinary for many newbs:

-->hydrogen peroxide in regular size bottles.... in large numbers. Sanitation & wound. I use it daily to sanitize my toothbrush. Keeping your toothbrush sanitized daily is now strongly recommended for... of all things, reducing an infection of the body's heart. There is a large body of unequivocal research in peer reviewed medical publications that connect this gum/heart connection.

Hydrogen peroxide can sanitize many many other items during an Event. And the wound/scratch sanitization in an Event is of course paramount! It is a cheap sanitization item that covers many bases and takes up little space.

I keep no fewer than a dozen bottles of hydrogen peroxide stocked at all times. $12

-->regular apple cider vinegar for Event cleaning adds an added level of sanitizing property. It does not disinfect totally, but can be an added 'level'. It is easy to store for emergency use only in jugs. (I keep three. Abt $12 and takes up little space)

-->I also keep and use daily raw, unfiltered, unprocessed, apple cider vinegar... ingested, as an aid to the body's ability to utilize more of the nutrients available in the food I consume. Invaluable in an Event if I am having to rely on store purchased canned goods that come with reduced nutrient content because of processing methods. When living in an Event body nourishment is paramount to combat stress caused deficiencies, as well as the possibility of reduced food 'quantity' available, and/or limited nutritional foods are what I am relying on to survive.

I keep four back-up bottles at all times.

-hydrogen peroxide in quantity... in regular size bottles for wounds/scratches, sanitation, and gum/heart health.
-regular apple cider vinegar in large jugs for cleaning and added level of sanitation.
-raw unfiltered unprocessed apple cider vinegar for increased nutrient metabolism available in whatever food and/or quantity of food an Event throws my way.


Last edited by zombiepreparation on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:24 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
NamelessStain wrote:
goofygurl wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:
Extreme imo is using a condom as a water bottle.



Yeah I would say that's pretty extreme....ew. LOL


A little note: Non-lubricated and no spermicide. Ribbed is optional. :rofl:



:lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
zombiepreparation wrote:
Something I now consider indispensable and possibly not ordinary for many newbs:

-hydrogen peroxide in regular size bottles.... in large numbers. Sanitation & wound. I use it daily to sanitize my toothbrush. Keeping your toothbrush sanitized daily is now strongly recommended for... of all things, reducing an infection of the body's heart. There is a large body of unequivocal research in peer reviewed medical publications that connect this gum/heart connection.

Hydrogen peroxide can sanitize many many other items during an Event. And the wound/scratch sanitization in an Event is of course paramount! It is a cheap sanitization item that covers many bases and takes up little space.

I keep no fewer than a dozen bottles of hydrogen peroxide stocked at all times. $12

-regular apple cider vinegar for Event cleaning adds an added level of sanitizing property. It does not disinfect totally, but can be an added 'level'. It is easy to store for emergency use only in jugs. (I keep three. Abt $12 and takes up little space)

I also keep and use daily raw, unfiltered, unprocessed, apple cider vinegar... ingested, as an aid to the body's ability to utilize more of the nutrients available in the food I consume. Invaluable in an Event if I am having to rely on store purchased canned goods that come with reduced nutrient content because of processing methods. When living in an Event body nourishment is paramount to combat stress caused deficiencies, as well as the possibility of reduced food 'quantity' available, and/or limited nutritional foods are what I am relying on to survive.

I keep four back-up bottles at all times.

-hydrogen peroxide in quantity... in regular size bottles for wounds/scratches, sanitation, and gum/heart health.
-regular apple cider vinegar in large jugs for cleaning and added level of sanitation.
-raw unfiltered unprocessed apple cider vinegar for increased nutrient metabolism available in whatever food and/or quantity of food an Event throws my way.



:lol: Are you still going through all of that peroxide you picked up at Target a while back?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:28 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
Murphman wrote:
goofygurl wrote:
Hey ya'll,

Have a request...

I'm wanting to do a post on my blog of EXTREME frugal tips and tricks, but I'm stuck at like 3...lol.

Would you guys mind pitching in on some of the stuff you've done that might be considered extreme? (LOL I've already got the washing clothes thing that ZP has us all doing...lol)


Not sure how EXTREME these are to you, but I have done them all.

1. Dumpster diving for vegetables to can.
2. Road kill for dinner.
3. Washing styrofoam plates and plastic utensils for re-use.
4. Getting the last hit from someone else's cigarette that was previously in an ashtray.
5. Pallet (free) garden filled with black gold from #6.
6. Pallet (free) compost bin filled with the cast off parts from #1.

In my defense, I was much younger, and a LOT more broke than I am now for a few of those, although I still see too much decent produce wasted at grocery stores, and not enough people taking home that deer that just trashed the front end of their car now lying in the ditch.



LOL :lol: Road Kill might have ME made into road kill if they read that, but I really like the styrofoam plates one. That'll fit nicely. The cigarette thing I too have done in a former life. As for the deer? I agree. When I was living in Ohio we had one that ran head first into the fence between my house and the neighbors. Unfortunately, my landlords (who lived on the same property as me), got to it first, took it and dumped it. Why? "It ran into the fence, it could have been sick"

Uh no, it ran into the fence b/c there are no lights whatsoever there and that fence is damn near invisible. That thing could have fed me, my kid and their entire family of 5 for at least a few months. I literally almost cried over that amount of waste.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:35 am 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am
Posts: 1120
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 128 times
goofygurl wrote:
:lol: Are you still going through all of that peroxide you picked up at Target a while back?

I'm quite embarrassed. I actually never got around to using the coupons and buying a supply at that time. :oops: The coupon thing is still beyond my capabilities. I am quite in awe of you.

I have created my supply by purchasing a bottle every now and then, stopping when I reached 12 for storing and one more as a working bottle. It takes me months to go through even one bottle. I don't have to use the product for sanitation or wounds or anything like that normally. Just my toothbrush, and a splash in my water pic water now and then.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:18 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
zombiepreparation wrote:
goofygurl wrote:
:lol: Are you still going through all of that peroxide you picked up at Target a while back?

I'm quite embarrassed. I actually never got around to using the coupons and buying a supply at that time. :oops: The coupon thing is still beyond my capabilities. I am quite in awe of you.

I have created my supply by purchasing a bottle every now and then, stopping when I reached 12 for storing and one more as a working bottle. It takes me months to go through even one bottle. I don't have to use the product for sanitation or wounds or anything like that normally. Just my toothbrush, and a splash in my water pic water now and then.




Shhhh....don't tell. I haven't really done couponing on a regular basis for over a year. I don't really have the time, although I'm making it a point to do so after we get moved in July. I'm just really tired of paying retail.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am
Posts: 1120
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 128 times
LOL. Thank goodness you're human. It comforts me. For a while I was beginning to think you were a superwoman and by comparison (in your fields of expertise) myself being a mere lowest rung kind of person because of my inability to even marshal coupons, much less organize them, then use them. At least 'you' can get back to couponing after taking some time off. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept you and others do with ease. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:55 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Near Austin
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
zombiepreparation wrote:
LOL. Thank goodness you're human. It comforts me. For a while I was beginning to think you were a superwoman and by comparison (in your fields of expertise) myself being a mere lowest rung kind of person because of my inability to even marshal coupons, much less organize them, then use them. At least 'you' can get back to couponing after taking some time off. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept you and others do with ease. :lol:



LOL I'm very much human. That is proven to me by the sink full of dirty dishes and the TWO baskets full of dirty laundry that I'm too tired today to even care that they need done...lol.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:52 am 
Offline
* * *

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm
Posts: 562
Location: sierra vista az
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 41 times
I guess it all depends on ones definition of extreme. Saving seeds from produce would be extreme to some but now normal to me as is growing my own produce and now growing it in old tires. I have friends that fish but would never consider keeping and eating their catch but I do every time I get to the lake. I know others that shoot regularly but would never consider reloading their own ammo. That works for me because I get their fired brass to load for my self. I don't have a fire place in my house but still trim the mesquite trees and cut and stack the wood. Why because if something happens and I need it to cook or boil water I have it to do so. I try to salvage anything I can figure out a purpose for. I am now growing herbs in reclaimed Folgers coffee cans. Around here we have lots of quail running wild. People look at them and think they are cute and amusing. I look at them and think yummy and even have feed out to attract and keep them here. Same with the doves we have. So again extreme is all in ones perspective. Some think merely getting on an airplane is extreme while others jump out of them into hostile enemy fire.

_________________
Regulators mount up.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm
Posts: 474
Location: Michigan
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Lynn LeFey wrote:
I'm not sure about where to get powdered hummus, but since hummus is mostly garbonzo beans (chick peas), you can get Garam flour, which is just finely ground chickpea. Alternate spelling on Garam is 'Gram'. International markets will have it, but the spelling on the package may be different. It cooks up in about the time it takes to boil water. Awesome stuff. I highly recommend it.

Zombiepreparation... I can certainly see how powdered foods give you some advantage if you're carrying the stuff. I think you've got a different angle on carrying food than I've ever seen. However, I'd say that bouillon cubes and plain white flour would be better than grinding ramen. Probably a good deal cheaper, too. And, I should note that I've made meals of the Gram flour I mentioned above, a bouillon cube, and flour made into little dumplings/pasta.


I just wanted to bring this back up because I got a 10lb bag of gram flour from my local Indian market today for $15. So at $1.50 a lb, this an easy way to add a cheap variation on using beans in one's preps because it allows you to make a high protein flatbread out of it or use it in other ways as a substitute for flour.

_________________
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group