The Poor Man’s Prepping

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Re: The Poor Man’s Prepping

Post by prepper7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:30 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Ha! I was dating 2 "snarky card" girls and the same thing happened when they found each other's snarky cards in my apartment. They were both hipsters though. No racial or geographic difference in them.

ETA: Sorry for the derail - just thought this whole thing was funny. :clap:

You didn't derail, we were far down that track on our own. :) You know the thing about hipsters, right? They think they're individualists. :P
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:
IceMyst wrote:I forgot about this. I found some at my local grocer it was $1 for a decent size jar.... Called PB2 I linked it to some other threads asking if anyone has tried it before. I will keep and eye out for it in the future. I actually don't like PB but they have a chocolate flavored one which I assume tastes like nutella which I would be OK with.
PB2? That's the one I bought today.

$1 a jar???? I paid $3.50. On sale. It's going up to $4.99! What?!

(yup. The display had the chocolate one also.)
Yea got it in the "try this shit for dirt cheap bin" at QFC (Kroger) haven't tried it yet but meh
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 am

I just entered Prep overwhelm. I think I'm gonna go watch TV.
Last edited by zombiepreparation on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Yep, been there done that - an audit of a BOB can easily turn into a crowded and overwhelming apartment. I'm kind of in that situation now what with a small 2 bedroom place and a family of 3. I'm constantly looking for places to place stuff - just got a new gun locker yesterday that holds 6 more rifles than my old one and that size difference changed the living room/den.

We 'aint poor, were like upper-lower-class :) We can afford our daily lives which includes a few restaurant meals a week and cable TV (which I am downgrading as it seems just not worth the money I am putting out). Luxury items are from wind-falls and gifts. I have modest savings, mostly 401k and, not really my plan but it is making me some money, *a comic collection.

* Never, ever, rely on comics as an investment. I am very lucky mine are making me some small cash. This is finite. It's money now but the amount I have spent over my life is not being made back. Again - I have a few that are really worth some money and I have a few contacts that are willing to buy them and I am keeping my cards close to my chest to maximize what I can.

Having not read this whole thread I can attest to the whole "pantry tax" technique. Everytime I go to the grocery store I drop about 5% of my budget on pantry/disater/prep goods. The wife is doing her part and doing the same. Just in a few months we've netted a shelf of canned goods - sale items that we occassionally consume like soups, Spaghetti Os and ravioli for the kid, and a lot of canned veggies. Wife also took up canning and we've a small stock of jams right now. I also got me a new dehydrater but have mostly just been putting out jerky that gets eaten a few weeks after I make it. :wink: The jerky I make is from our chest freezer which is stocked mostly with "clearance" meats we find at the gorcery store for 30%-50% off. My wife is gluten intolerant and/or has Celiac's so we need to be picky on this front though. My main stock is no. 10 cans of dehydrated meats and rice. The canned veggies add variety and nutrition to that. This is different from when I was a bachelor - that was "whatever" for me.

Beyond food - I also pantry tax propane canisters (alternate heating and cooking for us) as well as matches, lighters, sterno can, blankets, batteries, flashlights, etc. << other than consumables I don't drop major coin on most of these things. I like my quality high-end stuff but if it's job is to lay around and be "extra" it don't need to be high-end. A $5 three-pack of flashlights from Home Depot fits in this column. My EDC flashlight is a $100 Surefire, bought before I got married and had a kid and could afford such things.

Now that we have the canning and dehydrating capabilities I am looking to hit up the "urban gleaners" groups here - they get permission from homeowners to pick from the fruit trees on their property. Many homeowners have fruit trees as decorative tiems but don't do much with them other than complain about the fruit rotting on the lawn. Groups have fomed up to pick these and share the labors.When I lived in the Hawthorned district I would pick frm a fig tree every year that a family had down the street, I'd dry those and have figs all fall and winter.

Storage? It's a pain in the ass when you've a small place. I found it nice to get your furniture doing double duty - an end-table with a cabinet in it, an old trunk as a coffee table, a small chest can be an ottoman, under bed storage... et al. Also, look at putting shelving up like a mantle over doors and such. Don't put nothing heavy up there though as that would be a hazard in a few disasters.

On that note - organization and clealiness is also a part of prepping. Sure you can find your stuff on a regular night but add "woken up at 3am by the building shaking, power was out, screaming outside, all my shit fell off the shelf..." and you will have some problems. That's a constant battle for me right now.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm

I finally finished reading this thread. Great info. I love DIY projects and frugal prepping tips. There is a lot of great information here.

I wish I could find coupons for the types of food I buy. But normally I don't buy the highly processed foods that I see coupons for. I will explore the links here to see if they get me to coupons I can use.

As for doing laundry by hand, try to get your hands on a hand cranked wringer. These are wonderful, quickly remove a lot of water, and are far easier on the hands and wrists than hand wringing.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:22 pm

I propagate or split all my own spices to get enough to dry for the year for canning and fresh eating. I haven't bought fresh spices in ages. It is really easy once you get the hang of it, and sometimes i have had enough for countertop herb garden gifts or dried spice gifts.

I have successfully done basil (the easiest), rosemary, oregano, chives, lemon grass, cranberry hibiscus, tomatoes and tarragon. If I can do it, anyone can.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Cowgirl wrote:I wish I could find coupons for the types of food I buy. But normally I don't buy the highly processed foods that I see coupons for. I will explore the links here to see if they get me to coupons I can use.
These are not things I normally indulge in either so I will be watching the thread for things you find to reduce costs on some of these low-to-no processed foods. Good hunting!
As for doing laundry by hand, try to get your hands on a hand cranked wringer. These are wonderful, quickly remove a lot of water, and are far easier on the hands and wrists than hand wringing.
This is ever in my mind.
Last edited by zombiepreparation on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Murphman wrote:I propagate or split all my own spices to get enough to dry for the year for canning and fresh eating. I haven't bought fresh spices in ages. It is really easy once you get the hang of it, and sometimes i have had enough for countertop herb garden gifts or dried spice gifts.

I have successfully done basil (the easiest), rosemary, oregano, chives, lemon grass, cranberry hibiscus, tomatoes and tarragon. If I can do it, anyone can.
I would sure like to hear more about this.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:30 am

zombiepreparation wrote:I would sure like to hear more about this.
Basics: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/ ... garden.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DIY Rooting Hormone: http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-in ... low-water/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In many cases it really is as easy as cutting at a 45 degree angle and putting in water (with a little fish emulsion if you can get it). The two keys are keeping the cuttings warm and moist.

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 am

zombiepreparation wrote:I just entered Prep overwhelm.
It's getting better.
Last edited by zombiepreparation on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Murphman wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:I would sure like to hear more about this.
Basics: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/ ... garden.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DIY Rooting Hormone: http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-in ... low-water/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In many cases it really is as easy as cutting at a 45 degree angle and putting in water (with a little fish emulsion if you can get it). The two keys are keeping the cuttings warm and moist.
Thanks, Murphman.

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Cowgirl wrote:I finally finished reading this thread. Great info. I love DIY projects and frugal prepping tips. There is a lot of great information here.

I wish I could find coupons for the types of food I buy. But normally I don't buy the highly processed foods that I see coupons for. I will explore the links here to see if they get me to coupons I can use.

There are coupons for non-processed foods. I have produce coupons sitting in front of me. ;)

soozey

Post by soozey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:05 am

Has anyone had problems with requesting a lot of free samples from internet offers? Privacy problems, junk mail problems, etc?
“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities...”
― Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:23 pm

soozey wrote:Has anyone had problems with requesting a lot of free samples from internet offers? Privacy problems, junk mail problems, etc?

Not if you're careful who you find them through. Blogs like mine and a ton of others pride themselves on only posting legit samples. I have an entire box in my closet that is nothing but samples that I've gotten. I use them for mbo's and such.

soozey

Post by soozey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:00 am

goofygurl wrote:
Not if you're careful who you find them through. Blogs like mine and a ton of others pride themselves on only posting legit samples. I have an entire box in my closet that is nothing but samples that I've gotten. I use them for mbo's and such.
I ordered a few things, so we'll see how my junkmail influx increases! I'll check out your blog for sure!
“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities...”
― Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:26 am

soozey wrote:
goofygurl wrote:
I ordered a few things, so we'll see how my junkmail influx increases! I'll check out your blog for sure!
If you let me know what you're actually looking for as far as samples, I can guide you a bit better on them. :)

JPBeck
Favorite Zombie Movies: OG Dawn of the Dead

Post by JPBeck » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Along the lines of Poor Man's Prepping:

I just got finished with our 3 month back up water supply.

I found a source that sells 55 gal food grade barrels for 20 each. I know that in some places $20 a barrel is high, but around here (Southern Ca it's a good deal).

They were used to store soy sauce. I was hesitent about using them to store water so I experimented with one. About two years ago I bought a single barrel and cleaned it out with bleach and non oil based soap. I used a home made a pressure washer to get the funk out. Then threw it in the back of my truck with about 10 gallons of water and 1/2 cup of bleach and some non petroleum based soap, and let it roll around in the back for a day's worth of driving. Then I rinsed it out with the home made pressure sprayer, enough to get the bleach smell out of it (as much as I could considering our tap smells like bleached water). I wanted make sure that the soy taste wouldn't leech back into the water after prolonged storage. After 2 years there was zero taste in the stored water. GTG

So I bought 2 more one month and 3 more this month. We now have 330 gallons of fresh water in barrels and 100 gallons in the RV. That makes about 90 days worth of water for the four of us.

Another Poor Man's trick:
To make my poor man's pressure sprayer I took a 3 foot long piece of 1/4 PVC pipe, drilled (5) 3/32 inch holes in 1/4 cap and glued it on, on the other end I glued a 1/4 PVC pipe to hose adaptor. The pressure that comes out of the sprayer is perfect.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Nice. <Thumbs up>

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Our machine gave out today, So I used the hand wringer, a wash board, buckets, plunger (bleached from bathroom use) and oldest unemployed daughter to get laundry done.

When hubby used credti card points to buy the replacement water pump, I asked him to buy the washer/plunger also. Well, I already know I need one and in the future I know I have one.

(and Sears wanted me to pay them 300 dollars plus for a service contract upto 500 dollars....)

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:02 pm

gallowglas wrote:Our machine gave out today, So I used the hand wringer, a wash board, buckets, plunger (bleached from bathroom use) and oldest unemployed daughter to get laundry done.

When hubby used credti card points to buy the replacement water pump, I asked him to buy the washer/plunger also. Well, I already know I need one and in the future I know I have one.

(and Sears wanted me to pay them 300 dollars plus for a service contract upto 500 dollars....)
Good job you! And the washer/plunger you mentioned; are you talking about the one I use? The washer/plunger made for doing laundry?

Oh. And tell me about 'the hand wringer'. I'm very interested.

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks..wow this is a long link. It its the bicycle anchor wringer. I got it a few years ago when I was going to to dye cloth or yarn.

http://www.google.com/imgres?client=ubu ... x=93&ty=72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not know if it is the one you posted. It is blue and seems to be an older type model.

Most importantly I have an unemployed daughter. So she can be the agitator.

But I did it. A lot of clothes washed. I need to hem a lot of pants. Explaining to a bunch of high school students that we (modern society) is actually too clean. Take brush and scrub board to go after sweaty and dirty areas. If you have showered lately, and do not have to plow or work in coal mines, your clothing is not really dirty.

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:16 pm

I just got back from ALDIs this afternoon. They often have odd items for sale very cheap.

Today, they had those little solar power pathway walk lights for $2 each. I bought one like this for $4 at Home Depot several months back to test as an emergency lighting option. While I haven't thoroughly tested the one I got today, I did compare brightness (they're the same). The first one I got seems to run about an hour for every 2 hours it's exposed to sunlight. They put off enough light to see features in a room. If you cover it with transparent white plastic, the difuse light is pretty decent. At very short ranges (a couple feet), they put off enough light to read by.

Well worth it for $2, IMO.

Zoombee

Post by Zoombee » Sun May 05, 2013 10:36 am

I replaced dark curtains with white curtains to use more sunlight and less electricity. I like deep dark rich colors, but not as much as free light.
My scapegoat ate my homework.

Zoombee

Post by Zoombee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:09 pm

I buy natural peanut butter, without additives. It's more liquid than solid, which is convenient for pouring on noodles.
My scapegoat ate my homework.

Return to “Family Prep”