How do I break the "grocery shopping every day" habit?

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murph

Re: How do I break the "grocery shopping every day" habit?

Post by Murph » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:33 pm

You could always do your own "survival" grocery shopping on your own.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Be sure to use a leather blackjack.... it leaves less marks.

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Jeriah wrote:I'm going to be the odd man out and say:

DON'T break the "grocery shopping every day" habit. It's a good habit, ensuring you the freshest produce.

Instead, encourage it. But every day, have her buy one thing that you're not going to eat that day, nonperishable: a box of spaghetti, a jar of sauce, a can of beans, a bag of rice, etc. One thing per day. Just say, "Could you pick up a..." and then when she gets home, thank her, give her a kiss, take the thing she bought, and put it in a tub/tote/box that you've designated for the purpose.

[...]

One item per day will help keep you from feeling the cost, and you'll get a great food stockpile going.
See, it's this sort of comment that keep people coming back here, and the reason that I posted my dilemma in the first place. I knew that there was something that I could be doing better, but I was too close to the problem to see it. You, sir, are a genius in my mind.

Now, have any idea where I can pick up some food-safe 5-gallon buckets around these parts? I know of a couple of places that I can mail-order them, but would rather just pick them up locally.
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:45 pm

go to local resturants ask them if the have any, usally they are used for pickles
people like it when you pay them for trash

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Try in-store bakeries.
They buy pre-made icing and fondant in 3 - 5 gallon buckets (that don't smell like pickles.) Be sure to tell them if you want the lids, as some places break them.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Try in-store bakeries.
They buy pre-made icing and fondant in 3 - 5 gallon buckets (that don't smell like pickles.) Be sure to tell them if you want the lids, as some places break them.
ZG - why don't you repost your links to the can storage racks? - they save space and make rotation a snap! The OP would likely need some if space is an issue.....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Fletch wrote:
TacAir wrote: Does she shop for that days (or the next days) meals? I'll assume she is not French or Euro - if she was one of those raised without a fridge, she was likely raised that way to shop day to day. Good luck on changing something that ingrained.
*SNIP*
My Grandmother is French and she shops EVERY day for stuff, however, when she moved house a few years ago you would have been surprised at the amount of food she had hoarded 'just in case'
cans that were ten years, fifteen years past their date. I think though that this came from being the eldest child in a family of thirteen kids, and having to feed them all when her parents died, and war/post-war food shortages

I love fresh food, and I also hoard canned/dried food......

EDIT: My nana is also a MASTER at re-using leftovers to create new meals but she's really reticent about teaching me how to cook the way she does :( probably because she thinks I'll stop going over for dinner (sadly thats not happening at the moment due to my location, I'm really craving her pan fried roast potatoes ATM)
Oh good, I am not the only one with a grandma or mother who taught them that.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

mr_slappy75

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Denevell wrote:
Jeriah wrote:I'm going to be the odd man out and say:

DON'T break the "grocery shopping every day" habit. It's a good habit, ensuring you the freshest produce.

Instead, encourage it. But every day, have her buy one thing that you're not going to eat that day, nonperishable: a box of spaghetti, a jar of sauce, a can of beans, a bag of rice, etc. One thing per day. Just say, "Could you pick up a..." and then when she gets home, thank her, give her a kiss, take the thing she bought, and put it in a tub/tote/box that you've designated for the purpose.

[...]

One item per day will help keep you from feeling the cost, and you'll get a great food stockpile going.
See, it's this sort of comment that keep people coming back here, and the reason that I posted my dilemma in the first place. I knew that there was something that I could be doing better, but I was too close to the problem to see it. You, sir, are a genius in my mind.

Now, have any idea where I can pick up some food-safe 5-gallon buckets around these parts? I know of a couple of places that I can mail-order them, but would rather just pick them up locally.
Well, Home depot sells their neon orange buckets (which are food grade) for $2.99 a pop. As far as the lids I am not sure, but I know that the Sportsmans Guide sells some really neat screw-on ones here http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=266012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, now I know 7.95 for a lid alone is kind of high however look at the specs...you are paying for convenience and peace of mind.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

mr_slappy75

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:39 pm

TacAir wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:Try in-store bakeries.
ZG - why don't you repost your links to the can storage racks? - they save space and make rotation a snap! The OP would likely need some if space is an issue.....
Really like these:

http://www.shelfreliance.com/all-produc ... -plus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shelfreliance.com/cansolidator-cupboard.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mr_slappy75 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colinz wrote:

I <3 ZS!

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Sure! Here they are.
The cardboard one.
http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/02/ ... ting-rack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Different styles of rotators, not cardboard.
http://www.drzero.org/temp/pantry1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kirkhams.org/Canned%20Food%2 ... 6-1-06.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kirkhams.org/closet%20unit.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vikingpreparedness.blogspot.com/ ... cific.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Rotating ... Food-Shelf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:19 pm

I second the don't break the going every day habit, I've started doing that myself since we've moved. Before she goes on Monday ask her to check for whats on sale. Then before she goes on some other day later in the week tell her to get an extra of <insert on sale item> and put that in your preps. You'll start saving money after a while since you'll be buying more on sale items, other than a few perishables that we buy often most everything I buy now is when its on sale because I've stocked up enough to not need to buy it between sales.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 pm

2 things that have stretched our grocery shopping are..................
Using a second fridge/freezer combo to stock sale items and we ALWAYS buy 2 gallons of milk. We can generally get milk with 10-14 days shelf life. This has helped us tremendously!
Last year we bought a stand up freezer, which holds meals and just about any kind of meat we could want. I can take chicken, hamburger, steak, pork chops, whatever we want to thaw in the sink while we are working. Then we get home and throw whatever on the grill, or in the oven. This means we only go the grocery store 2-3 times a month now instead of 2-3 times a week. We have also cut our WalMarket trips down to once every 3-4 weeks, instead of once a month. This has saved us a bunch of money, because we always buy a lot of other stuff we don't need, if we aren't careful, since there are SO many other things they carry. We can then use the savings on prepping items :mrgreen:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:36 am

mr_slappy75 wrote:Well, Home depot sells their neon orange buckets (which are food grade) for $2.99 a pop. As far as the lids I am not sure, but I know that the Sportsmans Guide sells some really neat screw-on ones here http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=266012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, now I know 7.95 for a lid alone is kind of high however look at the specs...you are paying for convenience and peace of mind.
I never knew the HD ones were food grade.... are you sure on that??
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 am

Fletch wrote:
true wrote:
TacAir wrote:if she was one of those raised without a fridge, she was likely raised that way to shop day to day.
What, she was raised a hundred years ago?
Not everyone could afford a fridge bud, my grandparents (the english ones) didn't get one til the fifties and my nana was born in the forests of fountainbleu, the operative word being FOREST :wink:

Also, please don't underestimate the 'tradition' that gets taught to children. My teacher at school told us about his mother always cutting a joint of lamb into two pieces when she roasted it, and after asking her why, she told him it was because her mother had always done it that way, so he asked his Grandmother why SHE did that.... turns out his Great Grandmother's oven was too small for a whole joint, hence she cut it into two to fit it in..... people are weird, but there's always a reason.

EDIT: Just in case anyone is wondering, It was not my intention to burn/flame True, I just wanted to show that even though technology is available, not everyone can afford it or gain access to it.

Peace :)
I'll chip in as I made the original comment.
Not everyone has a 'fridge - this is more often found in Europe than the US - electic rates are not cheap, apts are *small* and kitchens even *smaller* - with the grocery just down the street - most just buy day to day. My wife lived in France (No, she is an American) for some time and noted the 'no fridge' or very small fridge.
UHT milk, for example, is not all the common here in the US, but very common is the EU. I keep some in my locker - just in case. But many consider it an 'acquired taste".

Anyway - that is the genesis of the comment.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 am

I had to look that up. Weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high ... processing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:45 pm

On a side bar we are in a buyers market right now, this time last year according to my books eating the same diet, I was spending roughly 200 a month on food. Today i went "stock up" shopping at aldis and wallmart.

240 cans
$98.00 at aldis
40lbs rice
$15.00 at wal mart
4 gal total of beans and split peas
$15.00
50lbs of quick oats
25.00 at local bulk food store

Thats a lot of food, now the major tip. One MUST earn when tuna and salmon season are. Tuna drops to 25c a can and salmon to 75c

EDIT; wrong size bucket

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Jeriah wrote:I had to look that up. Weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high ... processing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LOL

Have you tried:
Canned cheese?
Canned bacon?
Canned bread?

I keep a couple of whole canned chickens in the larder for use in my Road Kill Chilli.
Quite the hit in chilli cookoffs...

Alaska imports most of the food sold. We keep some items (UHT milk for example) in case the steveadores decide to take a vacation.

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm

TacAir wrote: Have you tried:
Canned cheese?
Canned bacon?
Canned bread?
My wife is afraid of canned bread. Saw some at the grocery last night, showed it to her and she paled and her eyes got HUGE. Got a friend who is a bacon nut, so he'll be getting canned bacon for Christmas. Never run across canned cheese or whole chickens.
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

Silent Kube
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of Romero's work, Shaun Of The Dead, Pretty much anything that keeps the reason for the outbreak somewhat vague.

Post by Silent Kube » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:49 pm

TacAir wrote:
That is a concern. Older cans of food (I mean waaay old) are ticking time bombs. Not only are the contents possibly bad (as in fatal) they would have little nutrition. Worse, the can could 'melt down' (burst or leak) and foul other stored food.

You are correct, people who have lived in hardship (war, famine) tend to overstock w/o rotation.

Perhaps you could visit nana for a weekend and help her 'clean up' on the worst of the old stuff - and give her an early Chiristmas or birthday gift of freeze dried food for long term storage?

This is an issue here - having enough in 'storage', while being able to rotate what is on hand. is a chore. Even dried or F/D food has a shelf life. We struggle with it and still wind up donating to the food bank the cans that fall outside of our limits.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm just curious what your sources are on this. I know that over time, nutrition can degrade as well as taste and texture, but everything I've ever read says that if the can is intact with no dents and isn't bulging it's usually safe.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/cans-extreme.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://preparedness.families.com/blog/c ... age-safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're going through hell; keep going... ~Winston Churchill

Forgive your enemies. But remember their names.

Non semper erit aestas
Jeriah wrote:I think we're all pretty much just bullshitting here, which is what the Internet is for. Besides porn.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:15 pm

I recently read an article where they opened a ww2 ration pack and tested it and it was safe to eat, im off to google to find it

mr_slappy75

Post by mr_slappy75 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Fletch wrote:
true wrote:
TacAir wrote:if she was one of those raised without a fridge, she was likely raised that way to shop day to day.
EDIT: Just in case anyone is wondering, It was not my intention to burn/flame True, I just wanted to show that even though technology is available, not everyone can afford it or gain access to it.

I wanted to say the same thing to True, glad you brought it up Fletch. A lot of people in the Southern hemisphere did not have the means or the infrastructure to support refrigeration. From what my mother tells me, in her little town in Panama (back in the late 50's) maybe half on the households had electricity and of those, most could not afford refrigerators, food was prepared fresh daily, which wasn't a big deal since this was a rural community where farming was the main industry.

For special ocassions or maybe for Sunday afternoon lunch, they would go to the general store -the only place with more than one fridge!- and get the kids some icecream or Coke.
colinz wrote:

I <3 ZS!

Silent Kube
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of Romero's work, Shaun Of The Dead, Pretty much anything that keeps the reason for the outbreak somewhat vague.

Post by Silent Kube » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:37 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:
Fletch wrote:
true wrote:

I wanted to say the same thing to True, glad you brought it up Fletch. A lot of people in the Southern hemisphere did not have the means or the infrastructure to support refrigeration. From what my mother tells me, in her little town in Panama (back in the late 50's) maybe half on the households had electricity and of those, most could not afford refrigerators, food was prepared fresh daily, which wasn't a big deal since this was a rural community where farming was the main industry.

For special ocassions or maybe for Sunday afternoon lunch, they would go to the general store -the only place with more than one fridge!- and get the kids some icecream or Coke.
Maybe some of our UK members can confirm or deny this, but from watching quite a bit of BBC, it seems that a lot of people over there (maybe all over europe) don't have the huge fridges like we have here in the U.S. Most homes seem to have the smaller "dorm" sized fridges. If this is the case, I can see the necessity of shopping multiple times a week.
If you're going through hell; keep going... ~Winston Churchill

Forgive your enemies. But remember their names.

Non semper erit aestas
Jeriah wrote:I think we're all pretty much just bullshitting here, which is what the Internet is for. Besides porn.

epirider

Post by epirider » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:42 am

Jeriah wrote:DON'T break the "grocery shopping every day" habit. It's a good habit, ensuring you the freshest produce.

I agree with Jeriah completely. On top of that, even if it will be a bit more of an inconvenience, YOU do have two legs of your own. Walk down the 10 blocks and pick up one or two items yourself. Dont break the bank or go wild buying things. Like stated above, put it away. After you get a bit stored (or she asks what the blankety-blank you are doing) tell her your concerns about not having a safety net (the food) for your family (her) and that you love and care about her so much that it would not be very husbandly of you NOT to have this storage to assure HER well being if the SHTF. :shock:

And if that doesnt work, tell her you are done with this crap and there is gonna be new rules in this house, cause there is a new sheriff in town - Do this while you are tugging up your pants. It will for sure get a reaction. Probably not the one you are hoping for but... After she leaves you for being an ass, you can start stock piling in all the space you have now that she has taken half of it. :D
"Defending myself and the lives of the innocent that count on me to do so. I do this vigorously, and with great malice - to the bitter end or the relief of tranquility." Jim Hansen

hondo

Post by hondo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:41 am

Maybe some of our UK members can confirm or deny this, but from watching quite a bit of BBC, it seems that a lot of people over there (maybe all over europe) don't have the huge fridges like we have here in the U.S. Most homes seem to have the smaller "dorm" sized fridges. If this is the case, I can see the necessity of shopping multiple times a week
They are British not europians . :lol: No offense meant.
Europe is not USA , around here I could jump in the car and make cross country trip from Portland Maine to Portland Oregon and no matter where I am English is official language , I shall pay bills in dollars , Wal-Mart , McD and BK are somewhere close on the other hand Europe is made of many countries and each one boost it's own culture, language, money , history and in many cases religion . One could make a trip in the car and on the ferry from post-communist country like Russia to welfare state/liberal demo. Sweden in matter of hours or from Greek-Orthodoks Christian Bulgaria in to Muslim Turkey .Everyday shopping is cultural thing like going to church on Sunday and afterwards to farmers market as a way to see people . For example I am from Europe originally and my parents are people who grow up during WWII in 1945 they were teenagers so we always lived in house full of the food and guns 8) Since I can remember we had fridge and two freezers ( deep freezing ) in thous freezers we put around 1400 pounds of food also we have smoke house.
This month my parents slathering a cow, couple hogs , few lambs , 40-50 chickens and half goes to freezers other half to smoke house , there is 500 pounds of flour, 100 pounds of sugar , 20 gallons of oil , 600 -800 pounds of potato , 200-300 pounds of beens etc. Also my mum is pickling vegetable for salad and I remember how we used to deep freez fruits caked in sugar back in the day when fruits and vegetable were seasonal . Strawberry in June-July , watermelons in August-Sept.
I have in my fridge right now 30 pounds of meats and piles of vegetable and fruit beside long term food .
We go to do shopping once every 10 days even we buy bread 14 loafs of bread at once and put them in freezer every night we move a loaf from freezer to fridge and before we eat we reheat t bread in microwave . We are to busy to go shopping everyday .
As far as originally question goes what my wife does is when ever we go to do shopping or every 2 month trip to Costco she trows few cans of fish , fruits , pasta, rice and similar food in the cart it adds maybe 20 dollars to the final bill but we have pantry full of the food. So go and buy once per week 20 -30 dollars worth of long term food , she won't mind and in couple months you shall enough food to float you trough few weeks or months of crises .

Return to “Family Prep”