Eye Glasses & recomendations

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm posting to ask what you all recommend for athletic eye glasses. If ... say... a crazy event happened and you wanted your eye glasses to stay with you through heavy activity and not fog and maybe be robust/unlikely to break.

And where might you go shopping for these?

I'm not blind. I have about 20/40 and 20/50 vision, which means I see about half as well as someone with normal vision. Or a touch less.

And what other eye issues do you all see cropping up in a disaster or PAW? Mostly disaster.

Yes, laser eye fixing would be cool. It is not in the cards right now.

Thanks for any responses!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
EBuff75
* *
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by EBuff75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Mil-spec ballistic eyewear with a strap ought to do it! Keeping them from fogging usually has to do with how closely they fit / airflow around them. I have some goggles for outdoor sports (motorcycle, shooting, etc) which have a foam liner to seal them. Unfortunately, that makes them fog up right away (although they will usually unfog after a bit). If I don't need to seal against the wind, I'll usually just go with my normal sunglasses (Oakley's with prescription polarized lenses).

Here's an article talking about ballistic eyewear. Might be a good place to start: https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-t ... d-eyewear/

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:15 am

EBuff75 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 pm
Mil-spec ballistic eyewear with a strap ought to do it! Keeping them from fogging usually has to do with how closely they fit / airflow around them. I have some goggles for outdoor sports (motorcycle, shooting, etc) which have a foam liner to seal them. Unfortunately, that makes them fog up right away (although they will usually unfog after a bit). If I don't need to seal against the wind, I'll usually just go with my normal sunglasses (Oakley's with prescription polarized lenses).

Here's an article talking about ballistic eyewear. Might be a good place to start: https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-t ... d-eyewear/
Thanks!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13568
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am

After my 07-08 tour of the ME I swore I would not go back without the surgery. Problem is I really did not want the surgery, because I hate surgery. I did it anyway and never looked back. My vision was quite a bit worse than yours but is now 20/20 or better most days.

Back to 07-08 I tried a wide variety if things. Eventually I went with something like these:

https://www.esseyepro.com/special_landi ... ageName=rx
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 am

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am
After my 07-08 tour of the ME I swore I would not go back without the surgery. Problem is I really did not want the surgery, because I hate surgery. I did it anyway and never looked back. My vision was quite a bit worse than yours but is now 20/20 or better most days.

Back to 07-08 I tried a wide variety if things. Eventually I went with something like these:

https://www.esseyepro.com/special_landi ... ageName=rx
Thank you! Surgery is on the table, just far off. We can't swing it financially yet. We have to get a car and a downpayment for a house first.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13568
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 am

Those are certainly more important than marginal improvements to your eyesight. I can recall when my vision was 20/40 and I was able to get along without glasses unless doing a vision intensive task like target shooting.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
Bridgebreaker
*
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:57 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by Bridgebreaker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 am

I would definitely recommend a ballistic set in paratrooper frames. Simple rugged no arms to break.

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by SCBrian » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 am

Non tacti-cool suggestions from someone who's been wearing eyeglasses for only 10 years or so after a retinal-detachment.

Anything to make your glasses stop fogging (Yes, they make sprays for that) will remove the UV & anti glare coatings.

Lots of glasses straps brands/fits out there to help keep on your face.

Impact resistant is available and not super expensive. (think safety glasses, not Mil-ballistic)

I ref paintball in the winter for pocket money and I've learned that the right glasses/mask combo will allow you to wear a mask OVER the glasses. may fog at the beginning, but will clear.

ETA:
https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-t ... d-eyewear/
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

LowKey
* * * * *
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)
Location: In the Middle East, for my sins.

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by LowKey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

For anyone who is looking into the surgery but is having difficulty coming up with the cash, check out... http://www.lasikthai.com/cms.php?ref=do:read/id:81

Crunch the numbers for travel costs along with the procedure. It's been around 4-5 years since I had my PRK done there, worked great and zero issues.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Any more advice, please post. I appreciate seeing the different options out there.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Wiley X. My three sons are brutal on eyewear. https://www.wileyx.com/Tactical/products/prescription
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

gary83
*
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by gary83 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:25 am

Check out smithoptics also. They have tactical prescription eyeglasses.

boskone
* * *
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by boskone » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 am
Stercutus wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am
After my 07-08 tour of the ME I swore I would not go back without the surgery. Problem is I really did not want the surgery, because I hate surgery. I did it anyway and never looked back. My vision was quite a bit worse than yours but is now 20/20 or better most days.

Back to 07-08 I tried a wide variety if things. Eventually I went with something like these:

https://www.esseyepro.com/special_landi ... ageName=rx
Thank you! Surgery is on the table, just far off. We can't swing it financially yet. We have to get a car and a downpayment for a house first.
OT and assuming you're in the US, but regarding the down payment check out the USDA Rural Development program. The latitude for getting a guaranteed loan is pretty wide, as (IMO, at least) are the location requirements.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:01 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 am
Stercutus wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am
After my 07-08 tour of the ME I swore I would not go back without the surgery. Problem is I really did not want the surgery, because I hate surgery. I did it anyway and never looked back. My vision was quite a bit worse than yours but is now 20/20 or better most days.

Back to 07-08 I tried a wide variety if things. Eventually I went with something like these:

https://www.esseyepro.com/special_landi ... ageName=rx
Thank you! Surgery is on the table, just far off. We can't swing it financially yet. We have to get a car and a downpayment for a house first.
OT and assuming you're in the US, but regarding the down payment check out the USDA Rural Development program. The latitude for getting a guaranteed loan is pretty wide, as (IMO, at least) are the location requirements.
Thank you! I did not know that. When we are ready I'll start checking that out.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

grumpyviking
* * *
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 5:47 am
Location: rural UK

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am

for eye glasses I hardly ever throw any out, every time I have new glasses I store the old ones amongst my prepping supplies, you never know when you'll need spare ones post SHTF.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:57 am

grumpyviking wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am
for eye glasses I hardly ever throw any out, every time I have new glasses I store the old ones amongst my prepping supplies, you never know when you'll need spare ones post SHTF.
When I switched to bifocals, I had all my prior frames updated for about $30 each.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by taipan821 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm

If you work with a company that expects you to wear protective eye wear, see if they are willing to assist (or better yet pay) for a set of prescription safety glasses. I volunteer with my local rural fire brigade and they provided me with prescription goggles and lens inserts for my respirator. other than that keep your old glasses, especially if your script hasn't changed and sometimes it's better to go blind then wear glasses (heavy smoke for example)
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019

RoneKiln
* * *
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:49 pm

I paid my way through college making eyeglasses, and then worked freelance for years building optical labs and training techs to make eyewear.

Dress thickness polycarbonate lenses will be far tougher than your skull. No need for safety thickness. Your head will cave in before poly lenses. We had a blast testing their durability, and I sometimes pounded on them with hammers for customers to make a point. Scratched the tar out of them, but never broke one.

Ballistic goggles are great, but Z87 safety frames that look like normal metal frames tend to be crap. Most are designed to deflect impact by easily breaking at the bridge so each lens will slide off the side of your head instead of plowing straight back through your skull. Great for absorbing one huge catastrophic impact. Not so good for heavy daily abuse or repeated smaller impacts. It was not uncommon for them to fall apart in our hands before even getting out of the lab to the customer.

Some of the newer AR coats are insanely scratch resistant, very easy to keep clean, and very fog resistant. When essilor brought out Alize AR coat, my lab in a farming community went from 2% of sales being AR coat, to 60% in a month. Even several years later those gruff old farmers loved those lenses and came back in asking for them by brand name.

If you can afford good quality frames, I recommend getting high quality flexible ones. There used to be real amazing ones under the spam license (I forget who actually made them, it's been over a decade). People used to come in and say "I need something cheap cause my kid will break anything within a few months anyway." I'd say "check this out!" as I flung the spam pair to the floor and stomped on them (possibly why they tried to keep me in the lab running machines instead of on the retail floor). "The only way your kid can break these is if he keeps flexing them over and over to show off how flexible they are." The parents would light up and walk out with those expensive $300 frames I had just stomped on in front of them, and the kid would be delighted to have great looking frames. The retail manager would make me adjust them for the kid after I had stomped on them. She hated when I did that.

She eventually got her revenge by making me modify and fit a pair of children's frames for a cat. It was shoulder trained and would ski with the person it owned. So it's person had to get it sun glasses to protect its eyes at altitude on the snow. The cat was not the most cooperative.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

RoneKiln
* * *
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 pm

In the above post, the forum converted a famous shoe brand name to the word "spam."
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

RoneKiln
* * *
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 pm

In the above post, the forum converted a famous shoe brand name to the word "spam."
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2898
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:23 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 pm
In the above post, the forum converted a famous shoe brand name to the word "spam."
Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2898
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:23 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 pm
In the above post, the forum converted a famous shoe brand name to the word "spam."
Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Zed Hunter
* *
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:09 am

BCGs. (Birth control glasses).

User avatar
Towanda
* * * * *
Posts: 3703
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:02 am
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: Eye Glasses & recomendations

Post by Towanda » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:54 pm

I've worn glasses since I was a teenager. Polycarbonate lenses and a retention strap have always been good enough for me. I use Cocoons over-Rx sunglasses, which are also nearly indestructible.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

Image
SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Post Reply

Return to “Family Prep”