A quick question about MRE

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rosabella

A quick question about MRE

Post by rosabella » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:48 am

We purchased some Eversafe MRE's at the beginning of this year and being fairly new to prepping we didn't notice the expiration dates on the three cases. Two of them were manufactured Mar 2010 and the box says they will expire in 2014, and one of them we got a discount price was packaged in 2007 and no expiration date is on that box. The cat we purchased them from here is advertising on his website they're good for 7+ years and in another section on the same site he state's the shelf life depends on the how and the temp they're stored in. So what's the reasonable expectation on MRE Shelf life stored in an air conditioned home?

Thanks for the help and have a good one.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: A quick question about MRE

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 pm

This is the standard answer that you will find every where:

http://mreshelflife.com/
Unfortunately there is no fit-all answer. There are no expiry or best-before dates printed on MRE packaging. All there is, is the date of manufacture, and the date of inspection, if applicable. Claims of sites selling MREs are often projections or estimates. So, it the one you are looking to buy, or holding in your hands good to eat? In a civilian setting, it is up to the you to make the call based on two variables: manufacture date and storage conditions.

It is useful to know that the US military inspects MREs after 3 years, and disposes of them after 5 years of the date of manufacture.

The 5 years shelf life only applies at room temperature, or 81 F (27 C), and it drops considerably in hot conditions.
A better answer is that commercially canned food often is not only cheaper to buy in bulk but in many cases it will last much longer than MRE and for the most the "best by" means only that this is a standard date and the food is actually good for years longer than that date. Obviously there are exceptions to this statement and YMMV.

The key to long term food storage is a routine rotation plan to rotate and (hopefully) consume the older supplies, a cool, dry and dark storage area.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:59 pm

What Raptor said but with the addition that absent any indications of spoilage (swollen containers, foul smell, etc.) the contents are still going to be safe to eat and will provide adequate nutrition. They may not taste great, or look appetizing, but they can be consumed in case of need. There's an interesting YouTube channel that I subscribe to Steve1989MREInfo where he regularly consumes military rations from around the world that are as old as that or older.

For example:

So, while they may not be of first quality anymore, they shouldn't really be discarded as "bad" either.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:26 pm

OP, your experience is not out of the ordinary. I've done something very similar myself; it's part of becoming more sophisticated about prepping. As Raptor observes, canned and bulk packaged food are much better, more economical choices for long term prepping. However, there can be a place for MREs and such in your food preps (for a grab and go bug out food kit, for example).

It is unfortunate that vendor sold you products that are already past their expiration date. I can only hope the price you paid reflected that fact. My advice would be to consume them in the coming weeks and months. And if you feel MREs have a justifiable place in your food preps, replace them with more up to date MREs.

To the uninitiated, it's a real education unpackaging, preparing and eating MREs. Using the flameless ration heaters in particular is something that's worthwhile practicing ahead of time, so you know what you're doing in a real life emergency. KJ4VOV gave you solid advice recommending Steve1989MREInfo's YT channel - he's an excellent resource on all things MRE, not just the fact that they can remain edible well past their expiration date. Other YT channels you might want to look at are: Nathan's MRE, gshultz9 and - for a refreshing lay person's perspective on military rations - emmymadeinjapan.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:26 pm
However, there can be a place for MREs and such in your food preps (for a grab and go bug out food kit, for example).
Excellent point. I agree that there is a place for MREs in a good prep plan. I keep a 12 unit case in my office.

The other thing to remember is that in addition to the issue of cost, not all MREs are created equal. Some commercial MREs are not made to the same quality level as 'mil spec". That and temperature is the key issue to MRE longevity. You really want to be comfortable that the MREs you are buying were stored at an acceptable temperature range. Real MREs cannot be lawfully resold but you can find them online since the .mil sells the older ones as surplus at times. Thus when buying MRE you really need to check out the manufacture date before putting them into your food preps.

I frequently offer 2 other suggestions to consider:

1.) Commercially produced shelf stable meals. There are also commercially produced MRE entree only meals.
2.) Freeze dried meals.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm
Real MREs cannot be lawfully resold but you can find them online since the .mil sells the older ones as surplus at times. Thus when buying MRE you really need to check out the manufacture date before putting them into your food preps.
Wanted to highlight this sentence. Just like at any flea market in the country you'll see knives and gear market "army" or "marines". Doesn't make it legit or "milspec" (i.e. lowest bidder).

Mountain House Buckets last like 25 years and last time I checked prices, you could get a month supply for 2 people for like $120.

Just like majorhavoc states, MREs are good for quick grab hiking/bug-outs since they are self contained and pre-hydrated.

Also, try the MREs first to see how your stomach likes them. When I was issued them, I never had an issue, but I know some fellas who needed a gut-adjustment.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 pm

Also, try the MREs first to see how your stomach likes them. When I was issued them, I never had an issue, but I know some fellas who needed a gut-adjustment.
It has been wisely stated that MRE actually stands for "Meals Refusing to Exit", for their propensity to cause constipation, but this has been addressed somewhat in the newer menus. Still, they aren't really great for long-term consumption, but if they are what you have and you're hungry, that's what you eat.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:28 am

It is useful to know that the US military inspects MREs after 3 years, and disposes of them after 5 years of the date of manufacture.
I wonder when they started that. one of the MREs I got at basic had a package of M&Ms that were proud sponsors of the '84 Olympics. it was September of 94 when I ate it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:13 am

emclean wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:28 am
I wonder when they started that. one of the MREs I got at basic had a package of M&Ms that were proud sponsors of the '84 Olympics. it was September of 94 when I ate it.
Well, you disposed of it, didn't you? :lol:

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:45 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:13 am
emclean wrote:
Eventually

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:14 am

emclean wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:45 am
KJ4VOV wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:13 am
emclean wrote:
Eventually
So then the statement that "the military disposes of them after 5 years" is truthful. They just do it through recruits. :mrgreen:

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 am

One of the things I found to be much better than the MRE is fresh chicken salad on a whole wheat pita, a pinch of black pepper and a dash of an exotic mustard. Expiration dates mean nothing to the hungry. Check the food first by sight and smell. If all is well, give it a little taste. Eat a mouthful and then wait to see if your stomach has a reaction. If you have no reaction then consider it food. Very few packaged foods will provide the nutrition of grubs and fresh plant life but if you feel better about yourself storing buckets of costly packets for 25 years then buy, buy, buy of course. ~Dr. Sandy Silverthwaite, Post Apocalyptic Nutritionist
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Family Prep”