It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:56 pm 

http://reason.com/archives/2017/10/26/the-fragile-generation

My wife and I do our best to raise our daughters to be self-sufficient but, as described in this article, it is often made harder by our society. For example we encourage them to do chores and to explore our safe neighborhood, they just have to tell us where they're going. On occasion we have allowed them to walk into a grocery store to buy ice cream while we wait outside. You would not believe how scandalous some of our friends, family and neighbors find this. Or maybe you might...

Anyone have any interesting stories or experiences related to this?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:07 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

It has been a while since I had young children around. That said the things people considered as acceptable have morphed a lot.

When I was Kid my father would ask me to ride a bike (alone of course) to the store to get him a pack of cigarettes.
When my parents had parties there was a crystal bowl with cigarettes in it as a party favor like a snack.
I knew how to mix an "Old Fashion" at age 7. Bourbon, bitters and ice, then fill with simple syrup. I knew how to make simple syrup.
When I reached age 10 ish, I would also take the public transport bus (not a school bus) from my school to my parent's office in the CBD after school every day. My parents would leave home (after age 10) alone to go out for the night all the time.

When my kids were young in the 80/90's they were allowed to walk to and from their school 3 blocks away alone at age 10. The kids were never allowed to go to a store without an adult present. They were not left without a baby sitter until they were 13. Cigarettes were never allowed in the house. People had to smoke outside. Wine and liquor but no cigarettes were provided at parties.

As a foster parent in the 2000's the foster kids were driven to school by me in the AM and picked up by my wife in the PM. Smokers were not allowed to smoke on my property. We served only wine and champaign at
parties; hard liquor was "behind the bar". These kids were never left alone for any reason. When we left the house they came with us everywhere.

So yes the world sure has changed a lot.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Last edited by raptor on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:17 pm 

Climbing trees.
When I was a kid, a dad or older kid would climb the trees trying to break any weak branches. Then we were allowed to climb as we wanted.
If we fell out of a 45 feet tall tree (and I have) we were more careful next time.

Now?
OMG, IT'S 7 FEET HIGH! THEY COULD FALL AND KILL THEMSELVES - EEEK!!!!!!!!!

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Challenges? Kids talk too much... By that I mean they can't keep secrets.

It's tough keeping "operational security" when little Billy brags to his buddy about his dad's safe full of guns or when little Susy tweets to her friends that mom is always canning and practicing medical drills...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:55 am 

JeeperCreeper wrote:

It's tough keeping "operational security" when little Billy brags to his buddy about his dad's safe full of guns or when little Susy tweets to her friends that mom is always canning and practicing medical drills...

Imagine that , from the father who's most active forum is General firearms chat and most active topic is pewpewlife :mrgreen:

When I was a child, be home when the streetlights come on and stay out of trouble.By the time I was ten my parents would leave me while they went on business trips for up to a week at a time with the only supervision being supplied when I had dinner with my older brother and his family who lived down the street. The whole region was open to our exploration, just as far as we wanted to ride our bikes or walk . My kids Stick around the block and be home before dark. My grandkids don't go out without some type of supervision. What have we come to and I don't see a way to
counteract the prevailing attitudes , because if you take a stand , you are instantly a unfit parent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

flybynight wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Imagine that , from the father who's most active forum is General firearms chat and most active topic is pewpewlife :mrgreen:

When I was a child, be home when the streetlights come on and stay out of trouble.By the time I was ten my parents would leave me while they went on business trips for up to a week at a time with the only supervision being supplied when I had dinner with my older brother and his family who lived down the street. The whole region was open to our exploration, just as far as we wanted to ride our bikes or walk . My kids Stick around the block and be home before dark. My grandkids don't go out without some type of supervision. What have we come to and I don't see a way to
counteract the prevailing attitudes , because if you take a stand , you are instantly a unfit parent.

Luckily I don't have kids yet haha... But I do work at three different school districts at this time... And you'd be surprised what dirt I hear from kids just rambling on about their folks.

But I agree with your last part. I'll toss in the addiction to technology is tough. They are so reliant on their tablets and phones, it's causing issues with health and wellness, not just self sufficient living.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:42 pm 

Before tablets and phones, part of the problem around here was they took away recess and added PE instead.
During PE the uncoordinated kids just sat there while the talented ones did their 'sports stuff'.
Talk about turning kids off any exercise.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 am 

Quote:

this is why my answer to "how many guns do you own?" has alwase been 'more than I need, but less than I want'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 am 

Lucky for me we moved to a very rural area down in the very conservative bible belt. So everyone's daddy either has guns or he isn't allowed because of his meth abuse/domestic violence history. With that country lifestyle we get away with pretty much all "prepping" activities. The only thing that really catches an eye at our house are the pigeons and that is usually blown over with the "Yea, even Mike Tyson has pigeons these days." I just don't explain the preparedness aspects like backup food source and how the homers will carry a message for me. As for the children, they are just learning because they see we love our animals and enjoy them. My son asked me to hunt because his friend(age 5) shot his first deer and now my son is jealous. So for me it has to do with who you choose to expose your children to that has to do with the their self-sufficiency. My daughter is a princess with pink from head to toe, yet she still will ask me to harvest a cute bunny for dinner if she wants stew.