It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurricane Preps
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:48 pm 

Here in Florida, we just finished up with Hurricane Irma. A big gal, she covered the entire state. It had been 12 years since a hurricane gobsmacked Florida. I have seen a ton of them, as I have been around since the forties. This one was as bad as they get.
Keep telling the newbs here that hurricane preps begin December first, and run through June first. You have all those months to check your supplies and gear. Most folks still don't bother. They don't have a plan, and don't have anything prepped when hurricane season kicks off. Sad.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Hurricane Preps
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:43 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

As with any sort of potential problem or disaster, it is so much nicer to not think about it. After all, if we ignore it, it might just go away, right?

Irma was my first Florida hurricane. It was amazing to watch the last-minute running people around here did in the days before she arrived. I know many of these people have lived here for years, but no one seemed to know what to do.

I have been talking to A LOT of people about generators since Irma shipped out. Hopefully their memories last long enough that they are still ready for the next adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:43 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I agree my hurricane preps are finished by May 1 of each year.

The only thing I leave to the last minute is the route to the destination in case of an evacuation.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:15 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:
The only thing I leave to the last minute is the route to the destination in case of an evacuation.
Is that just for hurricanes, or for any reason requiring evac?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've grown up in FL, been through lots of hurricanes. But this was my first hurricane as a homeowner, between buying our house and having our first child, I was one of the ones running around last minute grabbing things.
Lessons learned. Generator might be one of the things we get with our tax refund this year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ManInBlack316 wrote:
Generator might be one of the things we get with our tax refund this year.
Please let us know how it goes. :)

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

MPMalloy wrote:
raptor wrote:

To clarify the possible routes out of NOLA are known and well documented. However it it is the traffic flow and congestion that would dictate a specific route. Google maps traffic function is great for this. You really have to wait until the last minute to make with that decision.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
raptor wrote:
To clarify the possible routes out of NOLA are known and well documented. However it it is the traffic flow and congestion that would dictate a specific route. Google maps traffic function is great for this. You really have to wait until the last minute to make with that decision.
Thank you.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:36 pm 

Mannlicher wrote:
Here in Florida, we just finished up with Hurricane Irma. A big gal, she covered the entire state. It had been 12 years since a hurricane gobsmacked Florida. I have seen a ton of them, as I have been around since the forties. This one was as bad as they get.
Keep telling the newbs here that hurricane preps begin December first, and run through June first. You have all those months to check your supplies and gear. Most folks still don't bother. They don't have a plan, and don't have anything prepped when hurricane season kicks off. Sad.

I was simply amazed to see people fighting over pallets of water and plywood and batteries.

I saw 2 people get into a pretty intense fist fight over a 12 pack of AA batteries.

This is only the second significant hurricane I've been through my adult life (First being Wilma in 2005) but this was by far the worst in terms of how people behaved.

I just don't get it. I am not nearly as well stocked as some folks on here with rooms and shelves that rival Publix, but my goodness. How do you not have extra batteries? And do people not know that they have running water at their house right now? Your water doesn't have to say Zephryhills on it.

-George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

firerat wrote:
Mannlicher wrote:

I was simply amazed to see people fighting over pallets of water and plywood and batteries.

I saw 2 people get into a pretty intense fist fight over a 12 pack of AA batteries.

This is only the second significant hurricane I've been through my adult life (First being Wilma in 2005) but this was by far the worst in terms of how people behaved.

I just don't get it. I am not nearly as well stocked as some folks on here with rooms and shelves that rival Publix, but my goodness. How do you not have extra batteries? And do people not know that they have running water at their house right now? Your water doesn't have to say Zephryhills on it.

There's no thinking ahead for most people, it's a couple of factors. The news coverage for this storm was massive, with updates every half hour for days on end, this made a lot of people more on the edge as they watched what the news services said was a cat 6 hurricane so people panicked. Then, there wasn't the usual coverage with "fill containers in your home with water" "pull out those old candles and matches" "do other things that don't cost much money and you'll be fine", there was a lot of coverage on how the stores were running low on things so there was a greater scarcity perception.
At least, that's what I was able to see. I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ManInBlack316 wrote:
firerat wrote:
Mannlicher wrote:

There's no thinking ahead for most people, it's a couple of factors. The news coverage for this storm was massive, with updates every half hour for days on end, this made a lot of people more on the edge as they watched what the news services said was a cat 6 hurricane so people panicked. Then, there wasn't the usual coverage with "fill containers in your home with water" "pull out those old candles and matches" "do other things that don't cost much money and you'll be fine", there was a lot of coverage on how the stores were running low on things so there was a greater scarcity perception.
At least, that's what I was able to see. I could be wrong.

I could be wrong...

I assume (Fail. I know.) that if people understood basic prepping...ie: (there is something that *you* can do), more people would prep than not. Some will never prep. They believe someone else will save them (not *their* job), or they would just lay down to die.

I dunno. I like to think that most people are mostly good. I know some are not.

What does everyone else think?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

MPMalloy wrote:
What does everyone else think?

I typed a response and deleted it. It was too cynical and negative for publication. I will leave it at that.

Meanwhile in Puerto Rico it is a mess and will not be improving for quite some time.

I have spent time in PR a decade or so ago.
It reminded me of NOLA albeit one a larger geographic scale and with a Spanish twist. I will leave it at that.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather ... 40821.html

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

People fighting over batteries doesn't surprise me. Or flat screen TV's. It's why I stayed prepped and lock my doors every year when hurricane Black Friday rolls through.

Nothing wrong with making assumptions but they are better when they are assigned a percentage of likelihood to go with them. The first time I saw someone having a problem in the water after I learned to swim as a kid I assumed that I would have no problem saving them, and that they would not try to kill me while I did. Using my aforementioned technique, I would now rate that incident with almost no chance of reliability. In that case, there was a posted adult lifeguard and everything came out OK but I am fond of using the drowning analogy because looking back my young mind had a hard time understanding that I might have to kill someone to save myself. The person drowning understood it as an intrinsic value, without thinking that is. Consider someone that cannot swim trying to explain it (why they cannot) to someone that is comfortable in the water. Wut?

I agree with you that people should have a basic idea about prepping and I think that this site adds value when a person can happen across or visit it and see storm warnings, storm maps, examples of what people did or are doing and lessons learned from people that have "lived" through any number of significant or other events. Hundreds and hundreds of books are being written about having a (let's call it) "travel case" with basic needs on hand (blades, fires, water, food, clothing) in case you need to quickly move from your shelter to a better one. However, if you read/post here you can refer to my swimming analogy and figure out that it's not all that easy. You get it vs. they don't.

Having spent some time around P.R. and some of the local islands I feel for those people. I heard a man on the radio yesterday say that most of the structures built since 2011 should have had no problem but a lot of the other buildings were destroyed, no power for months, etc. If you are reading this, you might (should) go to the link Raptor posted and then spend a few minutes reading down through the comments left (Miami Herald) left at the bottom.

I think that Bill Gates does a lot of good in the world by giving generously to groups/people in need but then he has so much to give. If you were trapped with him in an empty supermarket and you want to stay alive, by the third day you might be careful about sleeping because he might strangle you to death for that last Twinkie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:46 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

This is an interesting video. The story of how these 3 ended upon the bottom of an overturned fairly large vessel (~150 ft+) must be one hell of a story.

Vieques is a nice little island off PR. I spent time in town Isabelle Segunda.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather ... 67246.html

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Yes. If you see any more - post it pls. Seems they wouldn't have been out trying to get ahead or away from it. I knew parts of Viegues fairly well professionally and dove off Culebra recreationally. Last time I went to Vieques was in a little bird from RR to the lighthouse. It was at sunup and we stayed just above the surface. One of the best rides ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Asymetryczna wrote:
Yes. If you see any more - post it pls. Seems they wouldn't have been out trying to get ahead or away from it. I knew parts of Viegues fairly well professionally and dove off Culebra recreationally. Last time I went to Vieques was in a little bird from RR to the lighthouse. It was at sunup and we stayed just above the surface. One of the best rides ever.

As a child I spent some time at Rosy Roads one summer with my father who was there on business with the key occupant there. He was a contractor doing some work there. Culebra had recently been closed to the type of business they conducted at Green Beach (@ the western tip). We also stayed in Isabell Segunda harbor for about a week while there.
:wink:

ImageImageImage