It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:41 pm 

I apologize if there's an active thread for this. I couldn't find it.

I have spina bifida, that requires the use of disposable underwear and catheters. I've tried stocking up on them, but I was wondering if anyone has ideas for other strategies I might use to acquire such items during a disaster. Eventually I would run out, and I'd be in bad shape when that happens.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:57 pm 

We have a thread on prepping with mental disabilities. I don't know about physical disabilities.

I don't know all that goes along with that disability. But I assume underwear could be assembled. I know cloth baby diapers have evolved by several light years since I'd last paid attention, but my wife has alerted me to the new tech. Something like that could exist in the adult world or be made/experimented with?

Catheters, that one will be tough, I think. I really don't know much beyond what they are. I"ll let others with more knowledge chime in.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:02 pm 

Underwear IDK, most likely old school washable diapers.

You can make a veterinary catheter:

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/ho ... e-catheter

I guess you would omit the soaker holes.

A cath is not much more than some sterile tubing with a rounded end. Tubing you can buy at any surgical supply house.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:16 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
Underwear IDK, most likely old school washable diapers.

You can make a veterinary catheter:

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/ho ... e-catheter

I guess you would omit the soaker holes.

A cath is not much more than some sterile tubing with a rounded end. Tubing you can buy at any surgical supply house.

Thank you.

I may have to practice that, though I'd be afraid to test it. Misgauging a catheter is a recipe for unpleasantness. :gonk:

I'm not sure yet how I'd keep it sterile, but I'll look around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 pm 

You said you've tried stocking up on both items...has that not worked for some reason or are you just concerned about the possibility of running out? I am no expert on medical equipment by any means but given the materials the items are made of I would think either one would store for a long while in a temperature-controlled environment, so there would be no reason (other than finances and space) to not get a pretty good stockpile.

Only mentioning it because even though TEOTWAKI events are fun to think about and prep for, most disasters that would cut off access to medical supplies that could be bought at a regular store would be over in a series of days, weeks, or at longest, months. So, I'm just wondering what type of scenario you are thinking about.

I would think the catheters would be more difficult/contain more risk to DIY than the disposable underwear/undergarments...maybe focus your stockpiling on those if it is difficult to do both? If you are really thinking of a TEOTWAKI scenario, though, reusing them after sterilization might be an option, as well as looking up the schematics (if you could find them) for the original designs of reusable metal catheters...

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:19 am 

Ellywick wrote:
You said you've tried stocking up on both items...has that not worked for some reason or are you just concerned about the possibility of running out? I am no expert on medical equipment by any means but given the materials the items are made of I would think either one would store for a long while in a temperature-controlled environment, so there would be no reason (other than finances and space) to not get a pretty good stockpile.

Only mentioning it because even though TEOTWAKI events are fun to think about and prep for, most disasters that would cut off access to medical supplies that could be bought at a regular store would be over in a series of days, weeks, or at longest, months. So, I'm just wondering what type of scenario you are thinking about.

I would think the catheters would be more difficult/contain more risk to DIY than the disposable underwear/undergarments...maybe focus your stockpiling on those if it is difficult to do both? If you are really thinking of a TEOTWAKI scenario, though, reusing them after sterilization might be an option, as well as looking up the schematics (if you could find them) for the original designs of reusable metal catheters...

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've usually had problems stockpiling because of finances, but also because my supply company for my catheters requires a prescription, and my doctor's office never updates them in time, so I run out every year.

I didn't really have a specific TEOTWAWKI scenario in mind, just "what would I do if I couldn't get to these things ever again? I'd be so SOL." That's what got me trying to stockpile.

Metal catheters? I'll look that up, but I've never heard of that. It sounds, um...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:03 am 

Ah, prescription needed. I get that. My dad has an ostomy and, even though I find it ridiculous, his ostomy bags require a prescription, so totally makes sense now. Just seems like it makes something more difficult that is already a pain and stressor. Only thing I could ever fathom for it was so insurance companies would pay for the items.

Yeah, metal ones sound...interesting, to say the least. When I say original, I meant like the original design that can be easily traced back for a catheter. I am a font of strange and only sometimes useful information, and the original catheter (other than ones made from reed or bone in very early times) from the 1700s was a metal, segmented tube.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:18 am 

Ellywick wrote:
Ah, prescription needed. I get that. My dad has an ostomy and, even though I find it ridiculous, his ostomy bags require a prescription, so totally makes sense now. Just seems like it makes something more difficult that is already a pain and stressor. Only thing I could ever fathom for it was so insurance companies would pay for the items.

Yeah, metal ones sound...interesting, to say the least. When I say original, I meant like the original design that can be easily traced back for a catheter. I am a font of strange and only sometimes useful information, and the original catheter (other than ones made from reed or bone in very early times) from the 1700s was a metal, segmented tube.

Aye, my insurance company needs a prescription, and my doctor changes so frequently that each one wants to make sure I really do have spina bifida. The turnaround rate at my doctor's clinic is abysmally high, but that's because doctors get better offers. Government-run healthcare blows, but it's better than nothing.

I love occasionally useful information. I used to read trivia books, dictionaries, statistics, anything like that, just for fun. Still, a segmented metal tube?

"Excuse me, but Dr. H.R. Giger would like you to stick this..."

"Beg pardon?"