It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RVs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

RollinWOT wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
What do you think of Sportsmobile? Have you ever worked on one?

I do like the Sportsmobiles. They are usually converted from a proven 4x4 truck chassis. The ones I have seen are Ford Econolines with front suspensions and axles from the F250 Super Duties, but IDK about any of the Dodge or Chevy 4x4 sportsmobile style vans, I assume they would also use in-house vehicle swaps by staying with manufacturer specific parts i.e. Ram 2500 swaps for a Dodge B-series van or Silverado HD swaps for a Chevy Express. Most of those are just as good as their 2wd counterparts, with added clearance and body cutting to accommodate the T-case and front solid axle. I would love to see an older Econoline done with the TTB 4x4 front suspension instead of a solid axle., but at that point, it's basically a 4x4 Explorer, just a bit larger. I mean for a while they made the Explorer with 4x4 and a 5.0L V8.

Thank you. Right now, the Sportsmobile is edging out RoadTrek with me. I want better off-road capability.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Thank you. Right now, the Sportsmobile is edging out RoadTrek with me. I want better off-road capability.

You will like the Sportsmobile. Roadtreks aren't too bad either, but they are just too low slung for me. A customer of mine has a Roadtrek B-series Dodge van and it is very nice, but the interior isn't holding up well. The Sportsmobiles i have een are much better build quality. Another customer of mine has just a regular 2wd Econoline conversion van that we put some bigger mud terrain tires on, and he takes that thing all over the place, even only being 2wd. If price is a deciding factor, maybe just opt for a 2wd conversion van and put some mud tires on it. One of my two Rangers had a set of Nexen M/Ts on it, and it is 2wd, I have been places I never thought possible in a 2wd truck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm 

There was a 1994 Revcon Trailblazer for sale on eBay recently (sale ended yesterday), but it's quite pricey! Starting bid was $45,000 and it's a Class C, but it's a pretty amazing looking rig! It didn't receive any bids and the links on the page point to a listing that goes back almost 3 years, so it appears they've been having trouble finding anyone willing to pay their asking price.

Here's the expired listing on eBay: http://r.ebay.com/3WNqn6
And the outside links on the page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ8XV16 ... &index=759
https://usedrvforsale.blogspot.com/2015 ... rhome.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 pm 

Yes i have a 25' travel trailer that is towed by my 4wd BOV.

This combo gives me a lot of options. I retrofitted it with a mondo battery bank and solar panels for off grid camping. I spend 4-5 weeks a year living in it and have been quite comfortable. Though it is a different lifestyle.

It provides a very liveable transitional living situation if you need to up and go for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:08 pm 

Funny thing.... One of the options for living situation the GF and I have discussed would be, getting an RV parking it on the property and living in it for a couple years. It wouldn't be idea for the reasons we've discussed on here already, but the nice thing about an RV is that it would be "move in ready" as soon as you park it. Of course I'd want to do some modifications to it like adding a wood stove. I chuckled when the gf and I discussed this because I thought of this post.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Halfapint wrote:
Funny thing.... One of the options for living situation the GF and I have discussed would be, getting an RV parking it on the property and living in it for a couple years. It wouldn't be idea for the reasons we've discussed on here already, but the nice thing about an RV is that it would be "move in ready" as soon as you park it. Of course I'd want to do some modifications to it like adding a wood stove. I chuckled when the gf and I discussed this because I thought of this post.

You can put a wood stove in an RV?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:25 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Go back one page in this thread and I posted a picture of one. But yes you can, precautions need to be taken of course, and you're probably going to have to cut a hole in your roof unless you knock a window out and put in a 90 degree bend in the pipe. I mean if you can put a stove inside a tent, an RV should be easy!

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:05 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:

Yes, woodstoves are actually pretty common in some of the older European RVs, and my dad's old Dodge B-series B-class RV had a woodstove that we built in place. They obviously need to be in good airflow areas, have a ton of heat insulation around the chimney, and have shutters to shut off O2 flow. Pretty good setup imo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

RollinWOT wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Yes, woodstoves are actually pretty common in some of the older European RVs, and my dad's old Dodge B-series B-class RV had a woodstove that we built in place. They obviously need to be in good airflow areas, have a ton of heat insulation around the chimney, and have shutters to shut off O2 flow. Pretty good setup imo.

Out in my area, a ton of single wide mobile homes have wood burners. I don't see what the same principles can't be applied to a stationary RV. But then again, I've never done either.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

491,200 RVs : Forecasted wholesale RV shipments in 2018, the highest number of recreational vehicles sold in a given year going back to the late seventies.
Hipsters Go Glamping, and RV Makers Soar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm 

RVs are being so poorly built, its mind boggling. I would never ever buy a brand new one. Unless it was a Scamp, Casita or the like. Seems like doing conversions in a Van or a cargo trailer gives you best for your money...and wont fall apart. Plus you can design it your way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
RVs are being so poorly built, its mind boggling. I would never ever buy a brand new one. Unless it was a Scamp, Casita or the like. Seems like doing conversions in a Van or a cargo trailer gives you best for your money...and wont fall apart. Plus you can design it your way.
Win the lottery, get an Earthroamer. :D

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:43 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:

I wish! I would if I did. Sure beats landlords and cities.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:

I wish! I would if I did. Sure beats landlords and cities.
The HD roamer start @ only $750,000.00

That's chump change if you can win the Powerball. :mrgreen:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!