Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

A place to discuss special considerations involved prepping and reacting to a disaster with children, pets and other family concerns.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
Close_enough
* * *
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by Close_enough » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Pillowcases. Now good for more then Halloween candies and hitting siblings with.

Given the small size of my kids' backpacks, a couple of sacrificial pillowcases may not be a bad idea in case we have to evac. The king size ones are 20x40, maybe 4000-5000 ci.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/new ... -bags.html
A fresh pillowcase is great for sleeping, and now can help you rest easy in the event of a disaster.

The Pillowcase Project encourages students to decorate the covers as part of its emergency preparedness program.

The American Red Cross says a pillowcase can serve as a "go-bag" to grab in a hurry filled with essential survival supplies, as well as more personal items.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Wow. That was pretty cool! Thank you for sharing.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 7961
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by TacAir » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Image

My wife was gifted one of the ARC bags - the draw strings are used as shoulder straps.

The bag itself is heavy-duty, but the 'straps' are not. Does make a nice, if small, ditty bag.

I'm not a fan of the RC for many (to me) good reasons - but they do try....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2218
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:51 pm

HAHA when I moved out of my apartment, I put a lot of my random gun accessories (mags, boxes of parts, etc.) in my spare pillow cases because I didn't have any "free" options laying around.

Also, considering fancy canvas laundry bags can be over $12, a cheapo big pillow case is like 1/4 the price and does the same thing. You can even cut holes in the hem on the opening and lace paracord to make a draw string.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Close_enough
* * *
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by Close_enough » Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:HAHA when I moved out of my apartment, I put a lot of my random gun accessories (mags, boxes of parts, etc.) in my spare pillow cases because I didn't have any "free" options laying around.

Also, considering fancy canvas laundry bags can be over $12, a cheapo big pillow case is like 1/4 the price and does the same thing. You can even cut holes in the hem on the opening and lace paracord to make a draw string.
Canvas laundry bags are a bit cheaper than pillowcases, and pretty close in size. As long as the kids can color on it with markers and crayons, it'll work.

EDIT: I found the formula for pillow case volume. It's called the "paper bag problem", and shows that a king size pillow case will hold about 4000 c.i..

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2218
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Close_enough wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:HAHA when I moved out of my apartment, I put a lot of my random gun accessories (mags, boxes of parts, etc.) in my spare pillow cases because I didn't have any "free" options laying around.

Also, considering fancy canvas laundry bags can be over $12, a cheapo big pillow case is like 1/4 the price and does the same thing. You can even cut holes in the hem on the opening and lace paracord to make a draw string.
Canvas laundry bags are a bit cheaper than pillowcases, and pretty close in size. As long as the kids can color on it with markers and crayons, it'll work.

EDIT: I found the formula for pillow case volume. It's called the "paper bag problem", and shows that a king size pillow case will hold about 4000 c.i..

When I was taking a trip into the desert, I was looking for a laundry bag that wasn't mesh. At the two big box stores I looked into, the canvas bags were from $12 to $20. Now, these may have been "el premium" stuff but I could only find the crappy white mesh ones for cheap.

However, a pack of 2 king sized pillow cases was like under $5.

But I agree, the issue with pillow case volume is that they are two dimensional, meaning they are two sown together rectangles as opposed to a tube shape with a round bottom meaning that overall volume suffers.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
w3rdtoyamama
* * *
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.
Location: Behind Enemy Lines
Contact:

Re: Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue May 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Not a bad idea!
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

User avatar
2now
* * * * *
Posts: 1182
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: back to PNW

Re: Project pillowcase. A.K.A. kiddie go bags

Post by 2now » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:13 am

I've moved too much and one great “bag” I have found especially for guns or other loing devices is ½ of a pair of jeans or bdu pants.
1. Cut them into 2 equal halves right through the fly.
2. This should give you 2 pieces each with a cut that would run from navel, down the fly up the but crack to the belt, if it had been cut when you were wearing the pants. [ow!]
3. sew the cut edged together on each leg. That is belt to navel, butt crack to fly on the left pant leg and then again on the right leg.
4. Sew the leg shut at the foot end.
5. To close run a piece of rope through the belt loops. If you are carrying a gun or other really long object, fold it over and tie the rope 'belt' around the bag.
It can all be done with hand sewing or a handi-stich. If you use pants with a broken zipper or other damage the cost is you time and 2 feet of rope. If you do not fold it over like you might with a gun, you can still use the pocket for small items.

Anyone else ever done this?
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Post Reply

Return to “Family Prep”