It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:03 pm 

Hey guys,

I realize this isn't an ideal bug out, but I try to push my family to what they consider the edges of camping and I consider bugging-out. We use a campsite, so we're never far from anything but I try to test out my gear and do these monthly. I have a toddler who has grown quite fond of "camping outside" and love that I can have a pre-schooler excited about the outdoors and sleeping in a tent, you've gotta start somewhere with prepping people. My one rule is that everything we use when we go camping has to fit onto a backpack that each of us can carry on a particular trail we always walk at the campsite. It's no Spartan Marathon but it's probably at least a half mile of hills and roots through the woods.

I've found an inexpensive hammock is a huge hit with kids and serves a great primary or secondary sleeping area if you fill up a tent or need to bring another person into your group.

Above you can see a $15 Stanley stainless steel cooking stove, which is my primary cooking vessel. I also fried up some bacon because who can say no to bacon?!

Lastly, what I consider the poor man's EDC. $3 pocket knife, $0.5 lighter, and $5 LED flashlight

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:27 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Looks like a fine start. Awesome that you're doing it with your toddler and (he? she?) is loving the adventure of it. You didn't say how the missus feels about all this, but you did mention a tent, so I'm assuming she's sleeping in that with the little one while you test out the open air hammock system.

You mention your rule that everything has to fit in packs and you always have to hike in to your campsite. My philosophy's a bit different. Unless your SO/spouse is hardcore like you are, I say: make concessions where necessary so that ongoing camping experiences remain enjoyable for her. If that means a tent bigger than you can carry on your back, so be it. Ditto for that two burner propane stove and the coffee maker.

If that's what it takes to get your partner willing to do this, that's great because it guarantees a lifetime of family camping experiences. And I'm a firm believer in prepping for the worst as long as it doesn't keep people from fulling living a normal family life. Any kind of camping is a stepping stone towards self reliance and resiliency. It gets a wife (or husband, as the case may be) used the concept of spending nights out of doors while she's actually enjoying the experience as a family outing. The fact that she's also developing skills/experience managing away from the comforts of home doesn't always need to be the focus. Getting her to that middle ground will help make the transition to hardcore bug out conditions a lot easier if the unthinkable should ever happen.

None of this prevents you from having that lightweight bug out gear for the three of you on hand, mind you. Or you from personally testing out that gear while she enjoys that inflatable air mattress with the little guy.

And if I'm totally off base about this and she's fully on board with making every outing a mock bug out, well dude: lucky you and I have only one question: does she have a sister? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:49 pm 

One year update on this. Still camping frequently and the kid and wife are still enjoying camping while I'm the mad scientist with all the cool new toys. We've since joined a private club that owns a huge hiking area, campsite, and lake. You have to pay admission or be a member to go but it offers more options for us to get outdoors and has lake access with kayaks and canoes, so we've added that to our camping/Bug-out prep activities. We've also since procured a dog, which makes for a great things go bump alarm but has added to my need for additional preps. (I've discovered using my older water storage is great for filling a dog's water dish so you have an excuse to keep water stocks fresh!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:19 pm 

Super cool! I'm glad you posted. I have a little one on the way and I'm looking for ways to bring the little one into the woods. And bring my wife along and help her to be more comfortable with the preparedness lifestyle. She is not strongly opposed to it, I'm just more interested than she is.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bring back the poor man's EDC pic please. Was that removed or in another thread? Folding knife, lighter and flashlight. Awesomeness.

I think that more stuff like that is better for a forum than all of the colorful shots of a big pack packed with an incredible attention to detail. Simple. You could lose the entire lot under the seat of your car and in the right minute think you had rediscovered a gold mine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:19 am 

Glad you all are having fun. Makes me miss the days when the kids were young enough to camping with me.

Now they go with their friends and not often.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks SZ. Post a story about every outing if you want. Some other dad or mom will come along and decide to follow your path.
If we travelled far, I used to try to do a 3/1 rule where we would camp for 3 days and then stay in a hotel for the last one. Getting out is its own delight but there is something nice about learning to appreciate a hot shower and clean towels as well. I have travelled far and wide to gain a better appreciation of being here.

Your one handed EDC kit is it. All three of those things you will find yourself modifying and replacing and augmenting throughout life but those 3 you will use the most. Many of the people reading this are probably feeling their fingers getting jittery because they ache to add one more item -LOL- and it reminds me of a scene from the Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk."

"I'd add a tarp."
Your gonna need cordage."
"Where do you store your water?"

Thanks. Your post reminded me to simplify. You could lose the flashlight but with kids I recommend keeping it. I'd add something more primitive that sparks to back up the lighter though. (See? Can't help but starting to add stuff...)

Well I'm gonna to go then! And I don't need any of this! I
don't need this stuff, (he pushes all of the letters off the
desk), and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this
(he picks up the ashtray) and that's it and that's the only thing
I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray.
And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's
all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game
and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches.
The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the
paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the
remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all
I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this!
The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the
matches, for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you
think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this! And
that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle
game, this magazine and the chair.